• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

April 28th-Draft Day

dtspecial

Gator Fan
What are your plans for the nfl draft day on the 28th of april, and what is your approach to it as a fan knowing the likely possibilty of no football in the fall?

shandsgator8

VIP Member
I don't really care about draft day given the uncertainty of next season. I may try to see where some of the Gators are drafted, but that's it. College football is where it's at anyways. :cool:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
While normally I'd follow this about as closely as your average COLLEGE football fan--that is, I'd probably watch the early going, then not let it keep me inside, missing a day-off of a beautiful Spring day in the Texas Hill Country--I don't feel I'll be missing out on much not to watch it this year. I have an opinion regarding the relative merits of the two-sides' arguments, but it is NOT a deeply emotional one (though I DO feel that the draftees, eventually to be among the players, their future "brothers" and/or teammates, would do well for SEVERAL sound reasons to respect those current players' request and not participate in some obvious corporate spin-control drama like Goodel and the owners have planned).
I should start by saying that I have steadily lost interest and respect for the whole professional game over the last 20 years or so--it's hard to care about a collection of robber-baron owner's and selfishly arrogant mercenaries who show little respect, gratitude or loyalty for the teams they are a part of, the cities they represent, the fans that pay (what is for most of them) significant amounts to see them, or THEMSELVES, for that matter, in many cases. This looming fiasco, complete with public posturing on both sides as a kind of "negative media foreplay", kind of "tears it" with me. So bored and disgusted am I with the whole display already that an actual full-on lock-out and work-stoppage will pretty well be "it" for me and the NFL.
AS it is, my interest had already been reduced to following a handful of teams (certain coaches whose approach I like, ex-Gators--and I will especially enjoy watching TT shove it back down all the experts' collective throats, when that happens). Like a lot of long time football fans, I never "came back all-the-way" after the FIRST strike back in the 80's. That revealed the true nature of the relationship between owners, players and fans--it seemed about the only thing the first two had in common was their shared contempt for the third--US! We got no better from the owners--when they get a better deal elsewhere, they bolt--packing up the semis and sneaking out of town in the middle of the night is the accepted modis opperendi.
I am a lifelong college football fan, a Gator who knew where he wanted to go to school as long as he can remember. As long as I have THAT each Fall I am, well, "content" is NOT the word when our beloved reptiles are not dominating--but that expectation-of-greatness is hard-won, an outgrowth of decades "living and dying with every play" on countless Saturdays.
For all my frustrations and criticisms of the NCAA and BCS, my love for and rabid interest in the "College Game" won't change. It is because we all care so deeply that it will eventually change for the better: these so-called "powers-that-be" will either make necessary changes, ones that reflect our clear demands for openness, greater fairness, and a proper Championship Playoff for a certain portion of "the largest upper echelon programs", or eventually be swept aside. With all the cracks now rapidly propagating thoughout their "system", that may come sooner than expected. Either way, our habits and attitudes won't change; we'll all keep closely following our teams, monitoring a slew of other games (even with teams we hardly know or care about, if they're on TV), and then watch all the highlights again on SportsCenter! I can't say I've done anything like that with the NFL for a long time.
What's the difference? I think it comes down to the connection between us and the program--as I said above, the only connection between a fan and a pro-team is the name of the city they are ostensibly associated with, and that is hardly a "deep bond" (as I've already outlined). But with our college teams, the bond is often very real--we went to the school, at least saw the players around campus going to class, spent some of the funnest, craziest times of our young lives around games home and away, and so on (any one of you could add PAGES of examples of this "bond" here).
So MY life won't change that much this Fall if the NFL doesn't play--oh, I'll notice it, I'm sure (probably more than I currently realize), but as long as we've got the 2011 COLLEGE season...in fact, if you think about it, the sports-media will HAVE to "fill-in" a LOT of otherwise "empty programming": among other things, I think we can expect even GREATER in-depth coverage and analysis, before and after the week's slate of college games, along with maybe some "Sunday College Football" switched into the networks' resulting programming vacuum. You think they'll have any trouble finding takers for the cash and exposure they can offer certain "up-and-coming" schools to make such relatively drastic last-minute day-and-time changes?
Depending on the teams, I might even be more likely to watch than in the case of a Sunday NFL game the last few years.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I do not really care for NFL football. I'll watch it if there is nothing else on. If there is no season, then I will just dvr more college games and watch them on Sunday and Monday night.

dtspecial

Gator Fan
escambia..that aint a bad idea, theres enough college football games durign the week to space out games to about 2 games per weekday! thanx for the tip!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
escambia..that aint a bad idea, theres enough college football games durign the week to space out games to about 2 games per weekday! thanx for the tip!

Glad I could help. Heck, if I get desperate enough I might even try watching non-SEC games. I hear that there are other conferences out there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, I've heard that too...
By the by, I'm also hearing about a "Women's Professional Football League" that is supposedly pretty far along in it's development (so to speak)...y'all know anything about this? The person who has told me the most about it is a full-on sports-junky with too much time on his hands--watches three screens, including a big-screen with multiple PIP, far into the night--he tends to exaggerate the importance of such things, but he does tend to hear about everything going on out there in the sports world.
According to him there's also a growing competition among "World Olympic Rules Football" teams, made up of highschool-age players representing their respective nations--Canada, China, Great Britain, Russia and a bunch of others, supposedly. It's been going for a few years already, but now they're set to play a full schedule starting this summer, and hope to get network exposure as a "contingency plan" should the lock-out proceed into and through the Fall.
It all sounds pretty desperate (if not downright nutty, especially in the case of the "WPFL"--do ya watch it more than once?).
Shoot, "The Sunday Mountain West Game" sounds more interesting to me, in the long run!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
The Pac-12 has already stated that they are interested in moving their games to Sundays if the NFL is not playing this year. I could see some other leagues moving a few games to Sundays.

As for the womens football league, it has been around for a while, I had a high school teacher play for the Sacramento Sirens. That team was started in 2001 and has actually been the powerhouse in the league for the whole decade. They play mostly west coast teams though.

And I've heard about the Olympic rules football as well, but I don't think it's that developed, especially in other countries.

robdog

Gator Fan
Are you talking about the lingerie football league as the womans football league? Because that is already up and running and growing, lol. Not a bad idea for college teams to move a few games to Sunday if the NFL is a no go. Going to be a lot of people bummed out on Sunday and this would help... a little.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema