• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

All SEC Coaches Team

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I cannot lie I was really heated about this for some strange reason, our guys played the defense in the SEC this year and we got snubbed on quite a few of these lists IMO:

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NE...950/2012-all-sec-football-team-announced.aspx

Totally agree, Dale, but have come to EXPECT this sort-of-thing, along lines of. "As we came IN, so we go OUT..."
There IS a certain "cockeyed balance", even a "favor" they are so doing us: We have done this as a team, and the "experts" continue to keep pushing us back together...Of COURSE it doesn't add up, our defense for SURE that good because it is a tight group of REALLY TALENTED YOUNG MEN "working as a unit" out there--it isn't ALL "just coaching and teamwork" that made them so good, so "shut-down/stop-you-in-your-TRAX"-good, but for whatever biased and/or convenient "reasons"/rationalizations, that's how the voters have turned around and packaged it in-their-heads. The reason I say it may be seen as a kind of "favor" is that it keeps every one of them (whether leaving or staying--and may even affect junior-draft-position, and therefore play a part in causing one or two to now STAY) MOTIVATED to a maximum degree, in various ways playing a part in insuring an even stronger team NEXT season--what SHOULD be a truly FRIGHTENING thought to those on our schedule in 2013!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I go by the list below. I also go by the list that has Will Muschamp as the Co-Coach of the Year with Kevin Sumlin.

The Florida Gators had five players selected to the first team including senior running back Mike Gillislee, redshirt senior kicker Caleb Sturgis, junior defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, junior safety Matt Elam and sophomore punter Kyle Christy.
Gators redshirt junior tight end Jordan Reed and senior Mike linebacker Jon Bostic were placed on the All-SEC second team. http://www.onlygators.com/12/04/2012/seven-gators-named-to-all-sec-teams-by-coaches/#ixzz2EBMxWTNW

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
***LET'S TALK ABOUT "OUTRAGE" FOR A MOMENT***:
See, the kind of thing that "really bugs me" has changed over the course of the last year or so...Our players getting shafted by the writers and assorted media pundits and awards-voters for everything from where we were picked coming into the season, to NOT being properly appreciated for what they did all season at the end, just isn't what gets to me anymore--not like it did as late as last late-August, as we embarked on this amazing journey: Maybe it's how far we've come, how much our team has proven to themselves, most of all I think it's 'cause "the best revenge is success", so they say, and we've got so much UPSIDE ahead that our "revenge" should be exquisitely long and satisfying...
No, the kind of thing that bugs me now is injustice perpetrated on one of our own, a true "hero" and "good guy", that Gator who if ANYONE deserves a chance at his dream, Tim Tebow--who continues to just be absolutely ABUSED in his simple, straight-forward effort to prove himself in the NFL...
Have you heard about this latest blindside, underhanded attack? Not the ongoing absurd mistreatment from the Jets in general AND in the person of that balloon of a buffoon, Rex Ryan, OR the slimy and cowardly cretins on THAT team who whisper behind his back...No, this is more-of-the-same and from the same kinds of petty jealousies as before, only THIS time it is even more hypocritically ungrateful and cowardly--and even FURTHER out-of-the-blue:
It is being reported that a number of his former BRONCO teammates have been telling reporters that their current success could have somehow "come sooner if Tebow hadn't been our quarterback last year", that "Manning allowed us to really show what we could do, while Tebow held us back, couldn't cut it at this level, and NOW we are showing how good we really were and are..." Now, WE know Tim doesn't deserve this, and I was SO angry at first reading, my first reaction so over-the-top furious that I couldn't even muster the self-control to organize my thoughts to debate the obvious fallacies here. However, as I recall these "heroes", this poor, talented-bunch saddled with such deadweight, they had gone 0-and-4 and were well on their way to their 5th loss-in-a-row to start that season when Tebow (with ZERO backing, support or encouragement from ANYONE at THAT point, least of all his resentment-filled GM, practically drooling in anticipation of his pending failure) came in, led them to their first come-from-behind win , and proceeded to win another what-was-it?-8- or 9-wins-in-a-row to sweep them unexpectedly into the playoffs, and then at least ONE thrilling win on a long pass on the first play in OVERTIME against the heavily-favored Steelers...and now these same suckhole former "teammates(?)", in some twisted sense of "revisionist bravery" attack TT NOW, and for what reason? What do they gain by doing so? What motivates such a seemingly unprovoked, cowardly and hugely ungrateful attack?
Jealousy. Jealousy and petty, small-minded resentment. The rookie came in there, a back-up, and for reasons they just couldn't accept, let alone fathom, gets all this attention, coverage, major endorsements that they will NEVER see when "I've been in this League FIVE YEARS and made all-pro once!", and so on...even their famous GM can't stand him, but ends up having to shut up and watch him win over HIS TOWN, as he comes in well into their having already GIVEN UP on that season and he picks them up, puts them on his shoulders in his inimitable way and, with typical grace, good humor and positivity shames them ALL, as he carries them to a winning record, the top of their Division and into the fans' hearts in a way that NONE OF THEM ever did--Man, no WONDER they hate him (it's like the pro-football version of Jacob and his brothers--Biblical as WELL as Shakespearian in its scope, if you think about it)!
Of course, these brave lads couldn't really come out and SAY anything until he was long gone, months later getting the "go-ahead" from the words and behavior of their GM (this started with Elway having made some disparaging comments about #15 in support of Rex Ryan, when asked about it during off-handed conversation with a Denver reporter last week that made the local papers, apparently)--and even then keeping it "anonymous"/not-for-attribution, the dreaded "according-to-Bronco-players", and kicking-him-when-he's-down, they hope (as the saying goes, "Best time to do it--it's easier then...").
I mean, aside from what he ever did TO them except be a good teammate and even BETTER "leader", and now getting it from all sides, while he tries to do whatever is asked of him, even running down on "the suicide squad" on punts with those broken ribs just taped--not sat down until REX-the-HEX needed a solid excuse for getting him COMPLETELY out of the QB-picture (after all, how can you say he's too hurt-to-play when you knowingly had him out there HITTING opponents the previous week, when your "NEW Back-up" has NO grasp of the playbook and threw NINE-OUT-OF-ELEVEN incomplete , at least 3 directly into double or triple coverage that should have been picked, and NO ONE, not even YOU having any real confidence in your chosen starter, "the franchise" you urged on that organization--and you chose to start AGAIN over Tebow and REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY OPTION OF BEING FORCED TO GIVE IN TO THE FANS CHANTING "Tebow, Tebow, Tebow..." as they will ANYWAY this SUNDAY, regardless...
What a nightmare--most of all for Tim, who, if anyone on this Earth, deserves better...Fortunately, he has big shoulders, an even BIGGER heart, and his faith to give him perspective...and though most of the time I see that as irrelevant, all things considered and in sympathy with ANYONE's human sense of unfairness and disappointment, I'm GLAD he has that at least to give some comfort now.
So, there it is: THAT'S the sort of thing that "really bugs me" NOW...

Escambia94

You do realize that Florida only trailed Alabama by one in terms of number of All-SEC, at least on the SEC coach's list? Depending on which All-SEC list you go by, Florida even has more All-SEC than Alabama on the AP list. Florida has everyone's respect right now.

The past couple years our players sucked. Plain and simple. The coaching by Zombie Urban Meyer sucked, and it showed with the 7-5 record and lack of All-SEC players. In year 1 of the Muschamp Era, only Caleb Sturgis was able to make a name for himself on offense. On defense, the players struggled with the transition from 4-3 to 3-4/hybrid. That left nobody worth putting on the All-SEC squad. This year we have a good coach AND we survived the year of transition. The players are getting their respect.

As for Tim Tebow, I totally agree that he is being disrespected, but that was forced by Rex Ryan destroying his image. ESPN still likes Tebow, but if Ryan squanders the opportunity, the Tim Tebow fad will go away and absolutely nobody in the media will respect Tebow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94, :
Re the stuff about our players and their personal post-season awards: As I say, just not that emotionally invested in it either way--and from my impressions, neither are THEY (really good sign, btw--Seniors have had/WILL have every opportunity to impress the pros and grab a fairly accurate spot in the Draft...as Gators, they WILL get a good look, much better than they might have gotten at most other schools--Juniors here are mostlly NOT in ideal position for "going out early"...we could lose up to 5, "SHOULDN'T" really lose more than ONE, will LIKELY lose two--end of THEIR Gator-story...The REST of this team will hang together and get BETTER, tighter in talent AND spirit, and let all the rest, the awards and the draft-positions take care of themselves at-the-end, as they tend to do quite handily WHEN YOU WIN!). Moving on...
I HOPE you are wrong about Ryan's immediate power over TT's image and future viability--all he wants or NEEDS is a true CHANCE, an "honest shot" at playing QB in the NFL. I honestly thought he had EARNED that after the way he had managed to pull-a-rabbit-out-of-his-hat LAST season in Denver--but thanks-to-Ryan he is now FURTHER "behind-the-eight-ball" than he was there, BEFORE Elway "allowed" Fox to put him in at-the-half in the 5th game (CERTAIN he would fail and get the fans off Li'l Johnie's back--only he proceeded to WIN, in seemingly "magic" and thrilling fashion, as WE knew he could and would--just as we'll not be at ALL surprised when he manages to pull-it-off AGAIN, if only some public-relations-conscious owner of a nothing-to-lose franchise will HIMSELF take that leap-into-the-unknown, get and PLAY #15 next year--provided there's either enough talent there already, or the right coach is given a season or so to put the right team-of-questionables AROUND him and is able to "do something interesting"--a kind of latter-day, post-Raider "Band of Gypsies" is how I envision it--What a STORY!
Yeah, I hope you are wrong, E-...BUT I fear that you are NOT: My cynical appraisal is that this sort-of-thing requires two things in short supply: (1) an OWNER who walks his own road independently and actually LOVES to do-it-his-way, see all his colleagues and experts (everyone-but-the-FANS) scream and shake their heads, and
(2) a Commissioner with balls enough not to interfere, to recognize that in-the-long-run such seeming confusion and controversy is GOOD for your product and the "Bottom Line", that you can overDO the "Corporate-thing" and end up killing-the-Goose laying all those beautiful Golden Eggs for everyone else.
As I say, after awhile, "common wisdom", even when it obviously ISN'T (in fact ESPECIALLY when it isn't "wise" at all) comes to reinforce itself--a kind of self-perpetuating "See? He isn't making it!"-myth begins to take over, no one recalling who, when and HOW that all started, or wanting to be the one to go against that "common wisdom" and look foolish themselves. This is when I miss the Al Davis's of the world (even if AL himself was "missing" by the time the end came).

Escambia94

I hope I am wrong as well. Ryan screwed up. He miscast Tim Tebow as a wildcat QB, which is not the same as a fullback or a spread-option QB. He obviously misunderstood the Tebow Effect. He misread Tebow's skills. Meanwhile, there are other coaches around the league running Tim Tebow's offense or similar offenses on other teams, and they are doing well.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hope I am wrong as well. Ryan screwed up. He miscast Tim Tebow as a wildcat QB, which is not the same as a fullback or a spread-option QB. He obviously misunderstood the Tebow Effect. He misread Tebow's skills. Meanwhile, there are other coaches around the league running Tim Tebow's offense or similar offenses on other teams, and they are doing well.
EXACTLY...frustrating and sad.

Escambia94

This is the business end of the NFL--head coaches making bad decisions that can ruin an athlete's career. It is a nasty business. Then again, you would be surprised to find out how nasty of a business college football can be as well. The college football business is bad enough where Charlie Strong elected to keep a job he enjoys rather than taking a better paying, higher profile job that is more stressful, and more cut-throat.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is the business end of the NFL--head coaches making bad decisions that can ruin an athlete's career. It is a nasty business. Then again, you would be surprised to find out how nasty of a business college football can be as well. The college football business is bad enough where Charlie Strong elected to keep a job he enjoys rather than taking a better paying, higher profile job that is more stressful, and more cut-throat.
Actually, I personally find that smart--and refreshing (and, by definition, he identifies himself as non-NFL-material, don't you think? At least for now...).

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema