• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

30-Year Trends for the Florida Football Program

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gator football program has been floundering since Urban Meyer's final year of 2010.

Average Recruiting Class Rating
Urban Meyer was the best recruiter, by far. Will Muschamp was the next-best recruiter, but his classes were imbalanced between defense and offense. McElwain was by far the worst recruiter. Mullen's recruiting classes were slightly less talented than Spurrier's. Not shown here is that Mullen's adjusted talent rating accounting for transfers puts him above Spurrier. I do not include the adjusted ratings because there is no equivalent metric prior to 2020 when the transfer portal became a factor in adjusted rankings. Napier only has one class for comparison, but his next class is trending towards Muschamp-level recruiting--with the same imbalance.
Coach
Recruiting Class Rating​
Spurrier​
269.92​
Zook​
265.34​
Meyer​
283.84​
Muschamp​
277.18​
McElwain​
246.19​
Mullen​
268.11​
Napier​

Yearly Recruiting Class Rating and Ranking vs AP Poll Ranking
Spurrier's recruiting rankings and AP polls are all green and yellow-orange, meaning he consistently performed near the top. Spurrier never had a recruiting class ranked below 11, and he never had an AP poll below 12. Note that for teams not ranked in the AP top-25 polls, I projected their rankings.

Zook turned into an excellent recruiter once he got over the transition from Spurrier. It is understandable that many recruits de-committed when Spurrier left for the NFL in 2002. Zook was not a very good coach, but Urban Meyer did applaud him for recruiting the foundation of the 2006 championship team.

Meyer was an excellent recruiter and coach. His worst recruiting class was his first at #15, and he delivered top-5 classes until hie left--including some of the best recruiting classes ever assembled in college football history! With the exception of Tebow's Heisman year of 2007, Meyer's teams were consistently ranked in the top 5 as well.

Muschamp was a much better defensive recruiter and defensive coach than he was as a head coach and overall recruiter. His offensive woes eventually led to his firing.

McElwain was straight up trash. No further analysis needed.

Mullen made offense fun, but his inability to fire Grantham was a liability against the team's success. Mullen recruited among the top 15, and was the first to make use of transfers to bolster his recruiting shortfalls at scale.

Napier only has one data point for recruiting, but as mentioned above he is trending towards Zook and Muschamp levels of recruiting. Like his predecessors, his teams will suffer in AP polls in year 1.
Florida Trends 1992-2022 p2.png

Trend Summaries
The charts below highlight obvious trends:
- Recruiting ratings correlate to recruiting rankings. The ratings are tracked here for comparisons to other teams, such as Alabama and Georgia, in a future post.
- There is a slight delay between good recruiting classes and good AP polls. The more successive, good recruiting classes a coach can stack, the better the AP polls in 1-3 years.

Florida Trends 1992-2022 p3.png

Summary
It is too simplistic and intellectually disingenuous to assume that coaches get x number of years before they are fired. Napier should get 3 years to purge the roster of Mullen's subpar athletes. Since he does not have good athletes to lean on like Meyer, he should get 4 years where he keeps the team ranked in the top 20 in year 2-4.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gator football program has been floundering since Urban Meyer's final year of 2010.

Average Recruiting Class Rating
Urban Meyer was the best recruiter, by far. Will Muschamp was the next-best recruiter, but his classes were imbalanced between defense and offense. McElwain was by far the worst recruiter. Mullen's recruiting classes were slightly less talented than Spurrier's. Not shown here is that Mullen's adjusted talent rating accounting for transfers puts him above Spurrier. I do not include the adjusted ratings because there is no equivalent metric prior to 2020 when the transfer portal became a factor in adjusted rankings. Napier only has one class for comparison, but his next class is trending towards Muschamp-level recruiting--with the same imbalance.
Coach
Recruiting Class Rating​
Spurrier​
269.92​
Zook​
265.34​
Meyer​
283.84​
Muschamp​
277.18​
McElwain​
246.19​
Mullen​
268.11​
Napier​

Yearly Recruiting Class Rating and Ranking vs AP Poll Ranking
Spurrier's recruiting rankings and AP polls are all green and yellow-orange, meaning he consistently performed near the top. Spurrier never had a recruiting class ranked below 11, and he never had an AP poll below 12. Note that for teams not ranked in the AP top-25 polls, I projected their rankings.

Zook turned into an excellent recruiter once he got over the transition from Spurrier. It is understandable that many recruits de-committed when Spurrier left for the NFL in 2002. Zook was not a very good coach, but Urban Meyer did applaud him for recruiting the foundation of the 2006 championship team.

Meyer was an excellent recruiter and coach. His worst recruiting class was his first at #15, and he delivered top-5 classes until hie left--including some of the best recruiting classes ever assembled in college football history! With the exception of Tebow's Heisman year of 2007, Meyer's teams were consistently ranked in the top 5 as well.

Muschamp was a much better defensive recruiter and defensive coach than he was as a head coach and overall recruiter. His offensive woes eventually led to his firing.

McElwain was straight up trash. No further analysis needed.

Mullen made offense fun, but his inability to fire Grantham was a liability against the team's success. Mullen recruited among the top 15, and was the first to make use of transfers to bolster his recruiting shortfalls at scale.

Napier only has one data point for recruiting, but as mentioned above he is trending towards Zook and Muschamp levels of recruiting. Like his predecessors, his teams will suffer in AP polls in year 1.
View attachment 727

Trend Summaries
The charts below highlight obvious trends:
- Recruiting ratings correlate to recruiting rankings. The ratings are tracked here for comparisons to other teams, such as Alabama and Georgia, in a future post.
- There is a slight delay between good recruiting classes and good AP polls. The more successive, good recruiting classes a coach can stack, the better the AP polls in 1-3 years.

View attachment 730
Summary
It is too simplistic and intellectually disingenuous to assume that coaches get x number of years before they are fired. Napier should get 3 years to purge the roster of Mullen's subpar athletes. Since he does not have good athletes to lean on like Meyer, he should get 4 years where he keeps the team ranked in the top 20 in year 2-4.
But "should" and "modern reality" are vastly different, as you well know.
I guess I EXPECT to be disappointed at this point, frustrated at what in fact transpires.
Or, as Lenny Bruce put it,
"What SHOULD BE, is a LIE!"
THAT is what I meant earlier when I wondered whether Billy will be GIVEN that chance...To which YOU demanded, "Why SHOULDN'T he be given that time??!"
It isn't ME who is among those who may deny him that minimally reasonable grace period, but the media, fans--and craven "powers-that-BE" who will likely go back on any promise or hand-shake-deal and ultimately reneg in the face of torrential apoplexy come the next coupla seasons of required abject retrenchment.
Mark my words (though I HOPE I am TOTALLY WRONG, as I stew here in my cynicism...Also, please excuse me and bear in mind that I find myself "additionally stewing" in a few shots of prime, aged cognac, somewhat the result of a cumulative delayed-action blindside hit from the effects of this season, not merely losses but the NATURE of these PARTICULAR losses.)
I NEEDED this--and DAMN! It tastes AND feels good!

Escambia94

Nobody sane is calling for Napier to be fired now or in the next 4 years. If you are hearing that, you should consider other Gator social media because the mainstream sources are not this crazy—not even Reddit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nobody sane is calling for Napier to be fired now or in the next 4 years. If you are hearing that, you should consider other Gator social media because the mainstream sources are not this crazy—not even Reddit.
I have already withdrawn, endeavored to cut myself off from most "Gator social media", and intend to no longer even "check out" things that catch my eye (for example on YouTube during my chronic late-night forays--granted one of my "guilty pleasures"...DAMN! You wouldn't BELIEVE the extreme WEIRD SHIT that rises through pestilent cracks into THAT place!).
But in case you haven't noticed, human beings have a widespread weakness for The Big Lie; they lap it up and spread it about, fast as they can--and it's like they WANT to believe it: Seemingly "normal folks" are so QUICK to buy into TOTAL BULLSHIT--and make it their OWN!
You have only to look at world history over the last hundred years to see it. Hell--you don't even have to go back near THAT far.
So PLEASE don't tell me to seek "reassurance" in the supposed "sanity" of all those supposed "normal folk" out there...If there is one thing history, ancient or modern, fiction or documented, clearly demonstrates, it is that betting on "reasonable sanity" in large groups of human beings is a FOOL'S GAME!
A losing proposdition--Make no mistake.

Escambia94

Stats are harder to come by prior to 2002, so the following chart has hard data from 2002-2022, plus some extrapolated data from 1995-2001. The trends tell us the following:
- Spurrier's offense was efficient, but slow-paced. He generally had great recruits until the end of his tenure.
- Zook's offense was less efficient, but faster-paced. He generally had great recruits, but he could not extract wins out of that talent.
- Meyer's offenses became increasingly more efficient over time until his zombie year of 2010, and his recruits were among the best in the nation.
- Muschamp's and McElwain's tenures are indistinguishable--both were horribly inefficient and horribly recruited. Muschamp does have an advantage of having better defenses, but the offense was so atrocious that it did not result in wins.
- Mullen's offenses were slightly less efficient than Spurrier's but were significantly more explosive and faster paced. His recruiting was nowhere near the levels it was under Spurrier, but it was better than Muschamp and McElwain.
- Napier's offense appears to be as efficient as Spurrier's, but his plays are much slower to develop and there are fewer of them. His recruiting appears to be trending towards Spurrier and Zook; however, the balance of offensive versus defensive recruiting is looking like Muschamp's (not shown in the chart).
27-year trend Florida Gators.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema