• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 SEC Preview

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
As some of you know, I used to run a college football blog. For those lucky few that were smart enough to check out my blog, you know that I am the greatest sports blogger in the history of sports blogging. I even won an award for that. It was awesome.

Anyway, I ran out of time and the energy to maintain the world's premier college football blog all by my lonesome so I had to shut 'er down.

The funny thing about being brilliant is that you stay brilliant even if you have no blog to share your brilliance through. You follow?

So since I still have all kinds of college football knowledge crammed into my dome, I figured I would share some of it with you.

Let's start with a preview of the greatest conference in the greatest sport in the greatest country on the greatest planet: The SEC.

Enjoy!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How they'll finish:

East................................................West
1. Florida...................................................1.LSU
2. Georgia..................................................2,Ole Miss
3. South Carolina.........................................3.Alabama
4.Kentucky.................................................4.Arkansas
5. Tennessee..............................................5.Auburn
6. Vanderbilt...............................................6.Mississippi St.

SEC Championship

Florida over LSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
All-SEC Team

QB-Tim Tebow Florida
RB-Anthony Dixon Mississippi St.
RB-Charles Scott LSU
WR-Julio Jones Alabama
WR-A.J. Green Georgia
TE-Aaron Hernandez Florida
C-Ryan Pugh Auburn
T-Ciron Black LSU
T-Clint Boling Georgia
G-Maurkice Pouncey Florida
G-Mike Pouncey Florida
AP-Brandon James Florida
PK-Leigh Tiffin Alabama

DE-Antonio Coleman Auburn
DE-Jermaine Cunningham Florida
DT-Geno Atkins Georgia
DT-Terrence Cody Alabama
LB-Brandon Spikes Florida
LB-Eric Norwood South Carolina
LB-Rolando McClain Alabama
CB-Joe Haden Florida
CB-Janoris Jenkins Florida
S-Eric Berry Tennessee
S-Rashad Jones Georgia
P-Chas Henry Florida

Offensive Player of the Year- Tim Tebow QB Florida
Defensive Player of the Year- Brandon Spikes LB Florida
Newcomer of the Year - D.J. Fluker T Alabama
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Capsules

1.Florida
Best Player- Tim Tebow QB
Biggest Game- Oct. 10 at LSU
Difference Maker- Aaron Hernandez TE
Top Newcomer- Andre Debose WR

The Gators return the best defense in the nation and are a lock to start the season out as Number 1. We've seen Tebow handle every situation imaginable except for running the table. Will he be able to lead these Gators down that path? A favorable schedule makes his task that much easier.

2.Georgia
Best Player- A.J. Green WR
Biggest Game- Oct. 31 vs. Florida
Difference Maker- Joe Cox QB
Top Newcomer- Branden Smith CB

Georgia has to replace both Matthew Stafford and Knowshon Moreno on the offensive side of the ball. Caleb King should fill in nicely at RB. Joe Cox is the bigger question mark. Defensively, the Dawgs lost all everything CB Asher Allen. If Branden Smith can emerge as a star in his first season, Allen's departure could be a little less painful.

3.South Carolina
Best Player- Eric Norwood LB
Biggest Game- Sept. 12 at Georgia
Difference Maker- Stephen Garcia QB
Top Newcomer- Jarvis Giles RB

South Carolina's success starts and ends with it's defense. Eric Norwood and S Chris Culliver anchor the stout Gamecock defense. Offensively, Stephen Garcia needs to step it up a notch. He has some pretty decent targets in Moe Brown and Dion Lecorn. Freshman Jarvis Giles will be a stud in the SEC.

4.Kentcuky
Best Player- Trevard Lindley CB
Biggest Game- Nov. 28 vs. Tennessee
Difference Maker- Randall Cobb WR
Top Newcomer- Morgan Newton QB

Kentucky should be an improved team this year thanks to several returning starters. However, the QB position is still a question mark. Mike Hartline will get the nod to start the season. Backup Randall Cobb is the starting WR and top playmaker. Incoming freshman Morgan Newton may also have a shot at some playing time. Defensively the Cats should be solid, even with the question marks surrounding Jeremy Jarmon.

5.Tennessee
Best Player- Eric Berry S
Biggest Game- Sept. 19 at Florida
Difference Maker- Rico McCoy LB
Top Newcomer- Bryce Brown RB

There are several questions surrounding this Tennessee program. Will Jonathan Crompton develop into a top QB in the SEC? Will Eric Berry get some help in the defensive secondary? Will Rico McCoy remain healthy? How many more recruiting violations will Lane Kiffin accumulate before the season starts?

6.Vanderbilt
Best Player- Myron Lewis- CB
Biggest Game- Oct. 3 vs. Ole Miss
Difference Maker- Larry Smith QB
Top Newcomer- Brady Brown WR

The starting QB position is still up for grabs in Nashville. I expect Mackenzi Adams to begin the season as the starter, but Sophomore Larry Smith should get plenty of time. I don't think the Dores can make it back to a bowl game, but they could play spoiler for a few SEC teams.

7.LSU
Best Player- Brandon LaFell WR
Biggest Game- Oct. 10 vs. Florida
Difference Maker- Trindon Holliday RB
Top Newcomer- Russell Shepard QB

LSU has the best chance of representing the West in the SEC title game this season. Their schedule is tough however, as they play both Bama and Ole Miss on the road. They do get the Gators at home though. Their are several hole on defense that need to be filled. Patrick Petersen and Chris Hawkins are the best CB duo outside of Gainesville.

8.Ole Miss
Best Player-Jevan Snead QB
Biggest Game- Nov. 21 vs. LSU
Difference Maker- Greg Hardy DE
Top Newcomer- Patrick Patterson WR

I fully expect Ole Miss to be in the hunt for the SEC West crown when LSU heads to town on Nov. 21. Houston Nutt really has this Rebel team primed for a top 10 finish. We'll see if they can handle the pressure of being the favorites in most of their games this season.

9.Alabama
Best Player- Julio Jones WR
Biggest Game- Nov. 7 vs. LSU
Difference Maker- Mark Ingram RB
Top Newcomer-D.J. Fluker T

Bama may slip a little bit this season. Then again, with Saban coaching, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tide were back in Atlanta at the end of the season. QB will be a concern, although Greg McElroy had a good spring. The defense should be stellar once again, led by DT Terrence Cody and LB Rolando McClain.

10.Arkansas
Best Player- Michael Smith RB
Biggest Game- Sept. 19 vs. Georgia
Difference Maker- Jerry Franklin LB
Top Newcomer- Ryan Mallett QB

If Mallett can step in and produce right away the Hogs could be a very dangerous team this season. That's bad news, because as big of a douche as he is, Bobby Petrino can coach. The LB corp may be the best in the west with Franklin, Wendel Davis and Freddy Burton all returning as starters.

11.Auburn
Best Player-Antonio Coleman DE
Biggest Game- Nov. 27 vs. Alabama
Difference Maker- Kodi Burns QB
Top Newcomer- Tyrik Rollison QB

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell Gene Chizik is coaching in the SEC. Bad coaching hires aside, the Tigers will struggle once again offensively. OC Gus Malzahn can only do so much with little talent. If Burns struggles early expect to see Neil Caudle (yes he's still in college) to get some playing time.

12.Mississippi St.
Best Player- Anthony Dixon RB
Biggest Game- Oct. 24 vs. Florida
Difference Maker- Tyson Lee QB
Top Newcomer- Chad Bumphis WR

This Bulldog team could surprise some people in Dan Mullen's first season. Tyson Lee is a pretty good QB, and Freshman Chad Bumphis could play the "Percy" position for Mullen in Starkville. Mullen's old team comes to town on Oct. 24. We all know how much the Gators struggle in the state of Mississippi. Upset????
Top 20 Players

1. Tim Tebow QB-Florida
2. Brandon Spikes LB-Florida
2. Julio Jones WR-Alabama
4. Eric Berry S-Tennessee
5. A.J. Green WR-Georgia
6. Jevan Snead QB-Ole Miss
7. Eric Norwood LB-South Carolina
8. Joe Haden CB-Florida
9. Brandon LaFell WR-LSU
10. Ciron Black T-LSU
11. Jermaine Cunningham DE-Florida
12. Anthony Dixon RB-Mississippi St.
13. Clint Boling T-Georgia
14. Antonio Coleman DE-Auburn
15. Janoris Jenkins CB-Florida
16. Greg Hardy DE-Ole Miss
17. Rolando McClain LB-Alabama
18. Charles Scott RB-LSU
19. Trevard Lindley CB-Kentucky
20. Geno Atkins DT-Georgia

Dark Horse Title Contender
Ole Miss

Team that will disappoint
Tennessee

Best Coach
Urban Meyer- Florida

Best Homefield Advantage
Florida-Ben Hill Griffin Stadium

Best student "Body"
Ole Miss

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I personally think Dunlap is better than Cunningham, but his playing time will hinder his stats. Cunningham will be an every down defensive end this season. He'll have plenty of opportunities to chase down the QB.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
As an admitted 365 peruser, and maybe even having quoted 365 in some posts, it will be fun to refer back to this as the season progresses.

thefamouscbc

Gator Fan
This is pretty laughable. Greatest sports blogger huh?

Spikes over Berry for DPOY? LOL

UT 5th in the East? LOL......Behind KY even? LOL

McCoy stay healthy? He has never had any kind of serious injury.

Spikes and Jones better than Berry? LOL

Here is a tip great blogger. When you do a preview take off the the blinders and don't pick your team to be the best at everything.

Thanks for the laugh though.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan

Here is a tip great blogger. When you do a preview take off the the blinders and don't pick your team to be the best at everything.

You ought to go "troll" someplace else. Don't do it over here.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Oddly enough, many of leakbrewergator's Florida-biased predictions are in line with supposedly neutral, nationally syndicated, sports writer predictions, to include a few Gator haters. One would expect a Florida bias on a Florida forum, but is it a bias when the rest of the country happens to agree? Could it just be hype? Of course it could be. That's why we don't decide a BCS champion based on prediction. Loosen up and have some fun with the predictions. Counter with your own predictions rather than attacking.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person to rank both Spikes and Jones WAY ahead of Berry. Spikes is being picked by many in the national media to win DPOY for THE ENTIRE COUNTRY! Stop being such a homer and step back for a few seconds. My picks for the standings are purely based on my opinion after looking at every team's schedule and roster. Honestly, UK is better offensively than UT and may even be better defensively this season. Plus, UT's schedule is tougher than UK's.

Also, I never said McCoy had an injury problem. His health will be a major factor in how Tennessee does this season. Eric Berry can't run a defense by himself.

Here is a tip for you troll. When criticizing someone for wearing blinders, perhaps you should take off your own sorbet orange colored glasses first.

thefamouscbc

Gator Fan
Jones isn't in Berry's area code. So don't bring that weak crap to me.

The national media has a hard on for the Gators. And they love to suck Mr. Pantyman all day long.

Spikes is a freaking beast. I actually like him a lot. Especially after what he did to Moreno. But he is not Berry. Sorry.

As far as my blinders go, I know we are a long ways from you guys. I have picked you guys myself to repeat. But to put KY in front of us is ridiculous. We have owned them for 24 straight years. They are a joke. USClite is also a joke. Spurrier is an old turd who should have stayed on the golf course after the NFL embarrassment.

So you want my predictions? OK

East.........1. Florida
2. GA
3. UT
4. USClite
5. Vandy
6. KY

West........1. Bama
2. LSU
3. Arky
4. Ole Miss
5. Auburn
6. Miss St.

Coach of the Year......Petrino
Offensive POY......Tebow
Defensive POY......Berry

SEC Champ........Florida over Bama

Freshman POY.......Rueben Randle.

And answer me this Gator fans.......Kiffin has gotten a ton of bad press from the media b/c he has a big mouth, but after the amazing recruiting job they did, and the QB friendly offense he brings in, how can you guys not see that we are gonna be greatly improved?

We are a long ways from having Florida talent, but we are coming back. Georgia is slipping a little and the UT-Florida rivalry will be back in full force if this staff stays together. I didn't try to piss you guys off, I am just a call it like I see it guy. Especially when someone says they are the greatest blogger of all time.

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
First of all, I AM the greatest blogger of all time. Recognize. Second of all, I don't want your weak ass rankings. Step your blogging game up to my level and then Ill talk to you.

So, Jones isn't in Berry's Class??? It's a good thing one is a receiver and one is a defensive back. That way I can find statistical evidence to debunk your homer theory with hard evidence like this:

10/25 @Tennessee W 29-9 6 103 17.2 35

That's Jones' stat line last season. 6 catches for a hundred yards against your vaunted Vol defensive secondary. Jones is a better athlete than Berry. Don't get me wrong, Berry is the best DB in the conference, but Jones is a freak of nature.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

And answer me this Gator fans.......Kiffin has gotten a ton of bad press from the media b/c he has a big mouth, but after the amazing recruiting job they did, and the QB friendly offense he brings in, how can you guys not see that we are gonna be greatly improved?

We are a long ways from having Florida talent, but we are coming back. Georgia is slipping a little and the UT-Florida rivalry will be back in full force if this staff stays together. I didn't try to piss you guys off, I am just a call it like I see it guy. Especially when someone says they are the greatest blogger of all time.

UT will probably be improved, but historically teams do not perform well in the first year of a new coach (with a few exceptions).

I will give Kiffin a few years to draft his own roster. I am not convinced he inherited a loaded team that fits his coaching style for instant success.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I didn't try to piss you guys off, I am just a call it like I see it guy.

Yeah, right - Gator fans can smell a troll a mile away. And if you were an F$U fan, you'd probably be trying to convince us that Jenn Sterger's mammary glands haven't been surgically enhanced.

The national media has a hard on for the Gators

You are WRONG, fan of the creamsicle-orange. The appropriate word is HATE-on for the Gators. Don't kid yourself or try and fool US.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think LSU or Ole Miss will be challenging in the SEC title game. I would also add Bama but well their on probation. At least Saban and the Tide won't have to worry about losing in the postseason again LOL.

gatorsare#1

VIP Member
I don't think LSU will win the West. They have to travel to Oxford and Tuscaloosa, and they draw UF and UGA from the East. I think they drop at least 2 of those 4 games.

Ole Miss has by far the easiest schedule of the 3. They get LSU and Alabama in Oxford AND they avoid UF and UGA. However, I don't think they'll do well with increased expectations this year. I don't think Ole Miss wins the West either.

Alabama gets LSU at home, but has to travel to Oxford. However, they don't have to play UF or UGA. I think Alabama ends up going to Atlanta.

Game to watch in the SEC West: LSU at Alabama

leakbrewergator

Awesomeness
I just wanted to let everyone know I've been coaxed out of retirement. My blog is back up and running again. I won't be making daily updates like I used to, but I'll try and have a new post a few times a week.

Check it out. And while you're at it sign up on the left hand side to follow it. And while you're at that, get your friends to follow it, (There might be a kick back for ya...)

http://cfb365.blogspot.com/

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema