• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2 more commits!

robdog

Gator Fan
They look like solid commits. Going to be nice to get them into camp and start working them out.

Mushchamp appears to be VERY hard at work and I like it. :)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna need at least ONE of these guys to turn "prince" rather than "frog" over the next couple of years: looks like Barry Sanders' son will be committing to Saban and the Tide (I think he comes in NEXT year).
I suppose it makes sense based on the recent past and how things are trending--though on the other hand you'd ALSO think that if he and his dad (who by all accounts has enormous influence in the decision) had thrown out the alumni/"family legacy" factor and were open to "the best opportunity out there", they might have waited a while, considered the options to see how everything developed, rather than jumping on the "line of good backs, one just won a Heisman a year ago and they like to run the ball"-bandwagon, and doing so this early. (Then again, somewhere in there maybe I just answered my own question?)
Anyway, though we neither will nor WANT to become a mainly run-based attack, the new staff clearly plans the Gator offense to be a balanced one that can beat you "one way or the other", where ideally there's a "featured back" who can go "up the gut" OR "bounce it outside". Try and load things up to stop HIM and the QB will sling it all over the field to a bunch of talented receivers. It's "Pick Your Poison".
Here's hoping we've got one of the pieces in that plan on the way already.

EvoX

Gator Fan
Davis is an excellent add. We need a solid one two punch with Jones and Davis. If we're switching to pro style offense, I'm really excited about the distinct development of a run game. I'm interested how things are going to turn out next year (much more so than this coming year), and with all of our talent under center, we have the potential to be an offensive powerhouse. And of course with all the young talent on defense, we might be witnessing the development of the perfect storm, much more so than we saw in 2006 and even 2008.

I was stoked to see an offer to Barry Jr, although I really didn't think he would show up in Gainesville. He would be a good add to Saban's offense if things progress in that manner.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I was stoked to see an offer to Barry Jr, although I really didn't think he would show up in Gainesville. He would be a good add to Saban's offense if things progress in that manner.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm afraid of--AND resigned to!

Oh well. The truth is I'd rather be where WE'RE at right now, sitting with TWO top commits at RB (in addition to Jones coming off his RS-year) PLUS two MORE at QB--something neither the Tide nor anyone ELSE has!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I like Davis' highlights, and it seems we are close to signing his 3 teammates.

As for Matt Jones, he is a 6'3" thin RB. You don't see that too often, so it makes me think that he might switch positions. But being that tall, if the coaches develop his ability to run with long strides then he could be a monster in the return game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good point about Jones. I think the coaches are hoping he fills out, but there are other positions he could excel at, either way--and you're right about his return-potential!
Again, I see the defense coming into its own THIS year; we'll have to be a bit more patient while this offense develops. It will be pretty damn good by late in 2011, but a MONSTER by the season after.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
offense should be alot better then last yr tho

I'm not ready to make that assumption. Our O-line is already banged up for spring practice. Everybody is learning a new offense. We lack the exact personnel Weis wants in those positions, so they are going to make do with what they have. Demps might be too small for this offense--this is not a spread. He will need to run north-south without the misdirection found in the spread-option. The receivers were recruited under Meyer for speed and blocking at the edges, not for speed and hands. Throw in our QB quandary and we now have to find a home for the QBs that are not 1st or 2nd string. Do they move to TE? Defense?

I will wait a year before I expect this offense to be better than last year, just so I do not set myself up for disappointment.

Jack&Dew

Gator Fan
I would be ready to say that this year will be A LOT more entertaining that last year! There is no way that they will run the same 4 plays all year! Dive, Dive, Option Dive, Dump Pass to running back.

We may not win more games but good God it has to be more entertaining!

I cannot wait to watch this team this year!

Go Gators!!!!

yea we'll actually establish some go to guys at WR

no more 3 QB bullshit

demps is def too small he wont be the main RB this yr i think thats a given

but brown, rainey, & gill 1 of them should have a big yr

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not ready to make that assumption. Our O-line is already banged up for spring practice. Everybody is learning a new offense. We lack the exact personnel Weis wants in those positions, so they are going to make do with what they have. Demps might be too small for this offense--this is not a spread. He will need to run north-south without the misdirection found in the spread-option. The receivers were recruited under Meyer for speed and blocking at the edges, not for speed and hands. Throw in our QB quandary and we now have to find a home for the QBs that are not 1st or 2nd string. Do they move to TE? Defense?

I will wait a year before I expect this offense to be better than last year, just so I do not set myself up for disappointment.

Know what you mean, man--I figure the offense will take a while to catch up to the "D". We won't have all the pieces Weis has in mind yet, AND it'll take the first half-a-season to meld what we DO have into a reliable unit (not to mention fully answer the questions at both RB and QB!).
Still, as Jack&Dew notes above, they WILL be more fun to watch, more exciting; there'll be problems with consistency, I'm sure, especially early on, but a whole lot less of that pound-your-head-against-the-wall frustration that grew steadily worse watching that Addazio-offense (THERE'S an oxymoron!) over the last couple of years.
There'll be stumbles, disappointing near-misses that come with young teams, but we'll get to see them grow, come together, begin to show themselves and everyone else how good they're going to be. I've said it before: by mid-November NOBODY will want to play them, and as for 2012, LOOK OUT.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
More fun to watch? What could be more entertaining to watch than a 3-headed QB monster in 2010 and the hilarity that ensued?

I am really looking forward to watching a game and not wanting to burn down the house in frustration over the offense. 189 more days...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, in retrospect maybe we missed an opportunity to see the HUMOR in that Chinese-firedrill, to revel in the chaos...perhaps with the foreknowledge of our current "rebirth", that might have been the way to go--but since I lacked that kind of specifically accurate prescience, it was just plain TORTURE.
I DO know some good, balanced wins, particularly a full-on beat-down of SOW when they come to our place this year, would go a long way towards washing away THAT particular bad taste, you know?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema