• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will Muschamp talks Spring Practice

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Monday coach Will Muschamp gave an update on spring practice to this point.

The team held a scrimmage last Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin and will do so again this weekend and will conclude April 7 with the Orange and Blue debut.

Mushcamp said that the depth chart will be set so to speak after spring practice concludes, "you better put your work in now."

Muschamp explained further, "the guys that have been in our program, that have been a part of our program, they're not all of the sudden going to get productive in August. You either got to be productive right now, or in August we're looking at someone else to be productive if they're not. When I leave spring I am going to sit down with the offensive staff and the defensive staff and say 'Who are we counting on?'.

Muschamp said he was "pleased" that the Gators were able to run the ball throughout Saturday's scrimmage. At the same time he said the defense didn't play as well as he expected in stopping the run. Muschamp also said they were not as productive at the linebacker position as he thought they should be. He wanted the linebackers to be more physical.

Muschamp said right guard Jon Halapio and left tackle Xavier Nixon are "playing at a very good level" both in the run and the pass.

As of now the Gators starting offensive line is Nixon at left tackle, James Wilson at left guard, center Jonotthan Harrison, Halapio at right guard and Matt Patchan at right tackle.

"[Last season] we had a bunch of new guys up front, I think a year under your belt, you're a year stronger a year smarter. And playing together you have to be on the same page," he said. "I think we've made some strides up front I really do."

Muschamp said he was impressed with incoming early enrollees and offensive linemen D.J. Humphries and Jessamen Dunker.

Wide receiver Frankie Hammond Jr. had a reverse for a touchdown, and did some nice things blocking and catching the ball Muschamp said.

He also said he was very impressed with wide receiver Latroy Pittman, an early enrollee and incoming freshman. Pittman caught a touchdown pass and is playing physically.

Starting running back Mike Gillislee was the team's offensive player of the day. Muschamp says that he continues to have a very productive spring.

Muschamp said defensively he was disappointed across the board and that often in the first scrimmage of the year tackling will be an issue and it was on Saturday. Mushcamp said they are working on tackling everyday, but they had eight miss tackles in the secondary.

As far as the quarterback battle, Jacoby Brissett and Jeff Driskel will continue to split reps and there has not been separation.

"Both guys managed the huddle very well, getting them in and out, we we're on the play clock the entire time," said Muschamp. "We need to be more accurate with the ball, but we've got to do a better job catching the ball, especially on critical downs like third down."

Attachments

• icon_13194268.jpg
    icon_13194268.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 2,205

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Right--especially on the "missed tackle"-front, unfortunately. Can't see Coach Boom letting THAT slide...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema