• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Will Calathes go pro

lilChomp

VIP Member
Do you think Calathes enjoys being in college? I don't think he does. His draft stock has to be crap right now because he can't make the Gators win... and great players make their teams win.

InstiGATOR

Gator Fan
Do you think Calathes enjoys being in college? I don't think he does. His draft stock has to be crap right now because he can't make the Gators win... and great players make their teams win.

I would hope that he would declare, discover that he needs to be much much more consistent and learn to avoid bad turnovers and return to UF.

My view on this team is:

1. They did enough.

2. The NCAA committee was a bunch of idiots for reaching past UF for higher RPI teams with losing conference records. The conference breakdown should have come out Big East 7, Big 11 7, Big 12 6, ACC 5, PAC10 5, SEC 4, MWC 3, A10 3. Instead they decided the ACC had to have as many teams as the Big 11 because it was a better conference. The ACC was a better conference but it did not have as many deserving teams.

So since this was a marking time year for me in basketball waiting to get Macklin eligible and a shooting guard enrolled, I am happy with what this team did this year. I expected a bid which they earned but an early exit.

Next year with a likely depth chart of:

PG: Calathes, Walker
SG: Boyton, Shipman
WF: Werner, Parson, maybe Allen
SF: Tyus, Cheney, Murphy
C: Macklin, Kadji, Vargas, Painter

UF will of course have to lose one of those 14 potential scholarship players and maybe a second one if UF signs PG Bledsoe in the late signing period.

The real puzzle is who might start at the 3 next year. It could be any of the 3 guys I have listed or even Shipman.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Next year with a likely depth chart of:

PG: Calathes, Walker
SG: Boyton, Shipman
WF: Werner, Parson, maybe Allen
SF: Tyus, Cheney, Murphy
C: Macklin, Kadji, Vargas, Painter

If we don't make the NCAA Tourney with this roster then I give up.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
.............. unfortunate part about missing it this year is that we will have very limited NCAA tourney experience next year when we go.
I think that does play into the final mix for post-season play but if it was a major factor then there would be no "cinderella" teams. I am very excited for next seasons team to take the floor.....I hope we have our A game tonight and get to NY, because that will surely boost this teams confidence.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
I think that does play into the final mix for post-season play but if it was a major factor then there would be no "cinderella" teams. I am very excited for next seasons team to take the floor.....I hope we have our A game tonight and get to NY, because that will surely boost this teams confidence.

One factor that stood out this year was the lack of leadership; in spite of the fact that once again this squad will lack the senior push (Werner will be a senior in 2009), there's no reason for Calathes, Parsons and Tyus not to step it up even further next year. For Shipman, Walker and Kadji, this year was a learning experience as they were freshmen, more than anything - and with a year's experience under their belts I look for more effort from these three next season.

I may be wrong, but something tells me that the unity of this year's team wasn't quite there - nor was there a sense of trust.

We had an "almost but not quite" in last year's NIT and a repeat of the same thing this year won't sit well with Gator Nation, I'm afraid.

MahxFahn

Gator Fan
True on all counts. Hopefully off-season something or someone will open Calathes' eyes to a need that has to be filled. It's a tough choice once it is made but not everyone has the character for leadership.

O-town Gator

Gator Fan
True on all counts. Hopefully off-season something or someone will open Calathes' eyes to a need that has to be filled. It's a tough choice once it is made but not everyone has the character for leadership.

True; one characteristic of a good leader is a lack of selfishness. Tim Tebow has "it", and Nick Calathes could learn from watching him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema