• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Why so many Gator Haters?

Old_Blevins

Gator Fan
Hello everyone,

I recently joined, and this is my first post. I found this site and joined because I am tired of reading the comments of so many Gator haters on generic sports sites. Most are biased, uninformed and have nothing intelligent to say. No matter how great the Gator accomplishment, you can't say anything objectively positive about it without being accused of being biased and being subjected to all kinds of abuse.

I wonder why so many people hate the Gators. It is not like we have been nationally dominant and whooping up on people for decades or generations. UF has existied since 1853, and we have been charter members of the SEC for 75 years. In football and basketball, our first national and conference championships and even being in perennial contention for them has only occured in the last decade or two.

Granted, we have had a disproportinate amount of recent, record breaking, and unprecedented success, and all indications are that it will continue. But generally speaking we have done it as underdogs, we have done it with style and class, and we have done it with excellent, unselfish athletes that are outstanding people and role models.

Everyone likes the state of Florida, beahes, Disney World etc. Many have been there, and I assume most can actually locate it on a map. It is a popular vacation destination. The Gator is a lovable reptile and a cool and intimidating mascot, as a mascot should be. At least everyone knows what a Gator is.

With the recent success and pubilicity, I could imagine UF becoming somewhat of a national team, with fans and followers across the nation with no real link to the university. But it is not that way. On the contrary, the hatred of the Gators is uncanny. I have concluded that it must be pure jelousy, but if anyone has an explanation for this, I would like to hear it.

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
Welcome to Gator Envy.

You're right in your assessment that the Gators are a love em or hate em team. They're pretty much the Yankees of college football. Non Gator fans really hate us with a passion. There are a couple reasons for it.

1. Recent success. The Gators have been so dominant lately in football, basketball, and other sports like golf and volleyball.
2. Arrogance. With that recent success comes arrogance. I'm not sure why, but students and graduates of UF (myself included) have a bit of arrogance instilled in us. It's not like we think we're better then someone when it comes to life... but when it comes to sports we always think we're better.
3. Passion. And with passion comes jealousy. The Gators are so passionate about their sports (especially football) that it irritates other fans.
4. Tim Tebow. If you ask fans of other teams about Tim Tebow, they'll tell you they are absolutely fed up with hearing about him and the hype.

And I think what drives Gator fans even more, is the fact that we know it's us against them. Everybody hates us, and we love it.

UGAsucks

VIP Member
welcome to the site

and with what you said about the gators having a nation wide following i believe i am the prime example of that...im from big ten country, but im a die hard gator fan with no real connection to the school except an aunt who live about 25 miles away from G-ville, which is how i score tickets...infact im a UF reject but i still love the gators, and the university

GatorGuy8

VIP Member
I've seen a lot of them all over. I think they are just tired of us winning. And I LOVE IT. Let them hate us. We will just keep on keepin' on and winning.:Banane29:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema