• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who would be a better offensive coordinator for Florida?

Who should be the offensive coordinator?

• Mike Yurcich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brad Cornelsen

• Jake Spatvital

• Jedd Fisch

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Give Nuss another year

• Total voters

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Whether you believe Nussmeier is staying at Florida or not, whom do you think would be a better offensive coordinator or co-coordinator?
  • Mike Yurcich, Oklahoma State. OK State is averaging 610 yards per game year 5, best in the country. I know it's the Big 12 but that's still impressive.
  • Brad Cornelsen, Virginia Tech. Cornelsen helped Memphis really get their offense going and coached Paxton Lynch. VT is averaging 33.3 points per game, with 8.7 yards per pass and 4 yards per rush. VT is #26 in total offense this season, and they are consistently ranked near the top 25.
  • Jake Spatvital, West Virginia. Spatvital coached Johnny Manziel at Texas A&M and Geno Smith at West Virginia. Look what he had done with Will Grier. West Virginia is currently #6 in total offense this season, and Willy is leading the nation in touchdown passes despite being off over the counter medication.
  • Jedd Fisch, UCLA. As you may have guessed by his first name, Jedd went to Florida, and was a GA under Spurrier. UCLA's offense is current #8 in total offense and Josh Rosen looks pretty good. He coached Wilton Speight at Michigan with the team that beat us in the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have been thinking about this. I have been thinking about a LOT of things having to do with coaching and our future. I'm not ready to make any bold choices or prognostications as of yet--beyond "time to get post-Mac!", of course--and even there I am for now more about timing, what is realistic, and what all that means as to whom will be available if and when we get there...and, I must admit, still stuck at the Head Coaching position as a major determining factor that all else flows from.
It's an interesting, more realistically immediate choice and move likely to happen sooner than MAC being gone, unfortunately, from my POV (part of a fundamental statement on not just "our future" and my bottom-line conclusions as to how I view it, but how I am realizing I intend to approach it given where we are and how things will likely play out, in general terms, that I will post as a new thread for discussion the next few days).
I have to admit I haven't yet really done the thought and research to hazard a thoughtful, well-reasoned recommendation. But naturally, for now my first inclination is towards Jedd Fisch: I REMEMBER him, now that his name is razed: Hadn't kept up with his carreer, but really like him on first blush--not just where he is and has been, whom he is now working with and the results thus far, and frankly most of all because he fits a pattern/myth that fits with the historical "Gator Ethos": A favorite son (SS connection) comes back to a major league opportunity with UF in its time of need. OK, it ISN'T exactly SS taking the reigns to "turn the whole mess around", but there ARE "echos and analogues" aplenty.
But I'll have to give it all more thought, investigation and consideration before any of this is more than an emotion-laden guess. The other have their intriguing strengths.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Well I think Kevin Sumlin would be a good OC if TA&M fires him plus he might want to take an OC job because to give him a better shot at an another head coaching position. Thought about saying Lane Kiffin but don't know if I trust him unless Stricklin could bar him from recruiting plus unsure he'll leaving a head coaching gig for an OC job.

Escambia94

Kevin Sumlin and Lane Kiffin are not going back to being OCs unless they go to the NFL. Can you think of a scenario where Sumlin would go from making $5M/ year as a head coach down to $750k/ year as a coordinator? If Sumlin gets fired, he will become head coach in another Power-5 conference for $3M or so.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sadly, the Gators just quit today. Very disappointing to see. No PRIDE.
Not making excuses, you're dead right--but this has been the worst yet in a STRING of injury-inundated seasons.
Then there is Nussmeyer, whom in light of everything shouldn't be on ANY such list but the "FIRST-TO-FIRE" one.
Between bad injuries and bad coaching, who WOULDN'T lose hope, focus, eventually any real sense of unity, drive and inspiration???...and over the years, I have begun to suspect a kind of "feedback loop" between both. I know I'm not alone in noticing that when it gets to the point that the season is lost and key coaches begin to look like they must be "mailing it in", the injuries start to pile up as well. Happened at about this point in the late Muschamp era, in fact similarly that last season with Meyer/Addazio. No matter what led TO this point, the resulting circumstances appear to perhaps play some PART in INTENSIFYING it all.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kevin Sumlin and Lane Kiffin are not going back to being OCs unless they go to the NFL. Can you think of a scenario where Sumlin would go from making $5M/ year as a head coach down to $750k/ year as a coordinator? If Sumlin gets fired, he will become head coach in another Power-5 conference for $3M or so.
...and neither is gonna BE either (Coach or OC at UF) now, in ANY event. Lane Kiffen for a BUNCH of reasons (all good ones that should relieve anyone who suspects even the possibility) OR Sumlin, due to "circumstances" on both his AND UF's part, respectively (you cover one good practical/financial reason among several, E-).
Whomever "The Next Guy" is, it will either be a coveted "Big Name", or a "Hot Up'n'Comer" who's on a bigtime ROLL. (From what I am hearing, btw, the one who's sorta neither-and-both but also uniquely considered a "Florida Guy with Experience" has currently backed away from the whole process)...If he doesn't re-enter the picture, imho it'll be one of the two top names, one each from the above categories: Frost ("Hot Up'n'Comer") or Kelly ("Big Name" that EVERYONE's gonna be after). Then THEY will choose their staff; a few of the current staff will likely be retained, but it'll be that next Coach's choice.
Of course, y'all could read it differently, see the "top" of each of those categories as someone else, but far as I can see, those comprise the Short List, unless/until either of those 2 remaining are offered and refuse it. Since it seems Charlie is standing pat for now (and at present only UF has him that high on their "list"), the choice is UF's: Ours is STILL looked on as one of the handful of "Best Jobs in College Football" if your one aim is to have a real opportunity at National Championships, and God knows we have the money to afford "him", whomever that turns out to be--and this time, if and when the guy "we" want (or at least our money and power guys agree THEY want) is ready to sign, the MONEY will be spent, as necessary.
But after this last mess, necks'n'asses are on the line. There is more and more a sentiment out there already, spreading deeper and wider now with each bad loss (and today's was one of the worst in a long while, for a lot of reasons), that the team and program is overdue for a bigtime, full on "house cleaning". NOT merely on the field but ACROSS THE BOARD--not just coaching but above AND behind-the-scenes, into every nook and cranny...if possible even into the shadows of "influence" itself somehow.
If THIS "Coaching Change" doesn't work out, we may well see something more like a "coup" than an "organizational change" next time.
Frankly, I'm not so sure we don't warrant it now.

Escambia94

Just to reiterate, the AD hires and fires head coaches. Head coaches hire and fire assistants. Randy Shannon as interim head coach is not going to fire the only offensive coordinator on his staff.

On the next point, we were spoiled as Gator fans to have our head coach be our de facto offensive coordinator under Spurrier. 99.99% of the time in today's football this is not the case. The game is more complicated now than it was 20 years ago, so my assertion is that the head coach needs to be a CEO who brings in highly touted coordinators and up-and-coming assistants.

Whomever takes over as head coach needs to bring in solid offensive and defensive coordinators. Even if we bring in offensive guru Scott Frost, he needs to be the CEO who can hand off the offense to someone who will execute his vision. The head coach will need to dig in and fix the deep problems with on and off field discipline.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
If the Nebraska job is available, I think Scott Frost (starting QB of the 1997 NU team that were co-champions) will take that job.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just to reiterate, the AD hires and fires head coaches. Head coaches hire and fire assistants. Randy Shannon as interim head coach is not going to fire the only offensive coordinator on his staff.

On the next point, we were spoiled as Gator fans to have our head coach be our de facto offensive coordinator under Spurrier. 99.99% of the time in today's football this is not the case. The game is more complicated now than it was 20 years ago, so my assertion is that the head coach needs to be a CEO who brings in highly touted coordinators and up-and-coming assistants.

Whomever takes over as head coach needs to bring in solid offensive and defensive coordinators. Even if we bring in offensive guru Scott Frost, he needs to be the CEO who can hand off the offense to someone who will execute his vision. The head coach will need to dig in and fix the deep problems with on and off field discipline.
Just to make sure my response was understood, I assumed AND noted the point--that it must and WOULD be the COACH, whomever that guy turns out to be, that would be replacing Nussmeyer with someone HE wants/trusts/will depend on just as E- says in the OC position. But I STILL felt justified in underlining the matter: Nussmeyer HAS to GO. Seldom has an OC been so deserving--to the point that him still being here afyer Mac is gone seems unjust, even ludicrpus.
As for the rest, well, I suppose I am already looking PAST "Traditional process and procedures" to all the things ahead that must ne dealt with--and am hoping it won't have to wait until the after-season for us to at least move PAST the "speculation phase" and into the start of the REAL work on our "long, hard road back".

Escambia94

I doubt any AD would take Nussmeier as a head coach, and there are only a few head coaches that would take him as an OC or QB coach. My guess is that wherever McElwain goes is where Nussmeier also goes. Otherwise, Nussmeier is coaching high school football back in his home town.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema