• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Who Thinks We Win the East THIS Season?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...and who thinks we beat the Tide even if we somehow DID make it to Atlanta???
No. Playing for "sacrificial lamb" is unacceptable to start with. Just isn't anything LIKE "OK" at Florida. Our Head Coach and apologists' hiding behind that, somehow implying that we are ingrates for not "giving credit" for it is exactly the problem: He either is running scared already, or never "got it" to begin with: HE oughta be unhappy with it...He should be mad. We are WAY too far from even beginning to challenge the elite in our own conference. Pointing to also-ran status and a chance at some Irrelevance Bowl are signs of settling for mediocrity...
And THAT, in and of itself, is reason enough to turn to the serious consideration of who the NEXT Coach will be.
Now, truth is that "reality" dictates accepting fact that EARLIEST any public move in that direction will not be made until the end of this season. Unlikely regardless, near impossible with us WINNING 3-in-a-row to start the SEC campaign...but we've all seen the games, actual play of team now for season after season. Against backdrop of stars heading for federal charges, their "leadership" in taking a slew of other players into suspension (at the least) with them, a general failure on so many fronts (including recruiting)...Well, gotta figure the wheels are turning (and phone lines warming up) back among the money-men/decision makers.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Georgia is improving more rapidly than Florida. I think it is Georgia's turn to get whipped by Alabama.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think it will be between the Gators and UGA. I think whoever wins the big game on 28th will face Bama in the SEC championship game.

Escambia94

After looking at Georgia again on tape, I think Florida has a fair chance to beat them. Alabama is not beatable by anyone but Clemson.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Georgia is improving more rapidly than Florida. I think it is Georgia's turn to get whipped by Alabama.
Lol. Sardonic, tongue-in-cheek humor while implicitly recognizing our true circumstances and likely fate for now is pretty well what I aim for now as well. Anything else just frustrates, drives me to the fork-in-the road: Depression, or Anger.(Like that scene in "The Running Man"...
Richard Dawson to that "nice little lady/regular": "Well, Why not BOTH?!!!")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think it will be between the Gators and UGA. I think whoever wins the big game on 28th will face Bama in the SEC championship game.
Once again, I agree, with a "BUT...":
I just haven't seen enough on EITHER side of our "ledger of doom or growth" to even begin to guess what we'll see in Jacksonville. In fact, aside from a complete collapse on our part the next coupla weeks/games leading up to it, not sure the results of those will reveal much (I go into detail about all this elsewhere, diff thread here--in response to YOUR comments and analysis, to a great extent).
With the way we seem to be growing SLOWLY and losing more key-players FAR TOO QUICKLY along the way, more than ever before we are groping in the dark out here, guessing while the ground tilts and shakes, the world changing around us while we try.
So I guess that personally, I try to make sense of it all--and in the end just feel I can only focus on what is right in front of us:
In this case, I guess that means LSU, for the moment. Have (unavoidably) considered and noted our eventual, more meaningful confrontation with The 'Dogs; but HOW "meaningful" will be affected by all that happens BETWEEN now and then...and that next one, even with our continued deterioration from injuries, seems to give us a lot more chances to win, to "Stomp on them while they are down!". So lets go out and DO JUST THAT, BOYS!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
After looking at Georgia again on tape, I think Florida has a fair chance to beat them. Alabama is not beatable by anyone but Clemson.
Yeah, that bout sums up the sitch. Guess in my usual roundabout fashion I have come to a similar point and conclusion.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
On a different-but-really-closely/bottomline related note:
We need a "Get-on-my-back-and-let-ME-Carry-The-Team"-PLAYER in the worst way. That, and a period of calm healing, both emotionally and physically for the GOOD kids who have endured so much but carried on, kept the faith here thru so much. That is the one, the ONLY "quick and simple" change/addition that might truly turn our fortunes fundamentally and dramatically going forward.
Look at Penn St. Without THEIR sudden "Heisman guy", they are still just another mid-pack Big 10 team--not a whole lot better than LAST year's.
More than ever, losing that 5+ Star QB commit (if we have--all we know for certain is that he has taken "Gator Commit" off his Twitter page) would be an untimely loss--but prep "can't miss prospects" are no guarantee of ANYTHING anyway: We have FAR too much 1st-hand evidence/experience with THAT).
The best QBs to break out and elevate whole programs last few years have NOT been the "can't miss, everybody WANTS him" guys--they've been almost-missed-completely kids who got an opportunity and SEIZED it.
We MAY be about to see this at RB. Don't wanna jinx the situation, but I think y'all have seen that kid out there. He was seen as a "change-of-pace" runner among four, where the No. 1 RB was (not available, soon-to-be-likely-GONE) Scarlett, then 2 or 3 guys still ahead of what may well turn out be the most explosive of all of them. His big intro was that long, shoulda-been-winning-TD run against the Vols...Did you know that, had it counted (had he not been caught, stripped-from-behind at the goal-line when he switched hands to begin his celebration--LEARN THAT ONE THE HARD WAY, KID), he would currently have a per-rush avg of WELL over 10 yards a carry??? That is pretty damn good, right?
We DO appear to still have, despite a (being generous) weak O-line, a budding running game. With Cleveland healthy, Franks on a GOOD day (with more of the sharp throws, good decisions, and when necessary that cannon arm--as opposed to the sudden "brainlock"/ "lets try THIS" dumbass-attacks that freshman QBs are noted for), we may well have over the rest of this season enough offense for our D to win most games. Not Championships--but possibly everything else. Then again, we COULD lose every damn game, too.
Get a few more playmakers, another WR or two, and an O-line (we DO have a 5-Star commit at rt tackle--the key player on any O-line--y'all had this explained in the opening voice-over to "The Blind Side", right? Sorry, I'm a movie-guy), in our next recruiting class and we WILL finally start to noticeably improve. I think. Maybe.
Gotta actually get it right this time, tho. Can this Coach and staff DO that? Can he/they actually then "coach 'em UP"?
How long can we keep waiting to see? THAT'S the question. Again.
And I STILL think that, no matter what, even with a seeming "right answer" to that question, we will need one of these "Where did HE come from/Can't STOP him" guys to rise up, lift everyone else WITH him, to accomplish the kind of near-overnight-seeming change-in-fortunes we are looking for. Anything else, the break-it-down to build-it-back-UP transition that is the way it is normally accomplished, AT BEST will take 2-to-3 YEARS--WITH THE RIGHT COACH...and this one is now IN his 3rd year here. Just sayin'.
That's why I am focusing on the "sudden rise of the unforeseen factor" now: As I see it, though the close wins have seemed to hold the wolves at bay, timewise that "X-factor" is the ONLY thing that could ultimately save his job AND give him useable time to get a few more pieces, allow ones we got to heal and return, and (assuming he and his staff really CAN do good things with ALL THAT), show some real growth and development rest of this season--and then truly ARRISE in the NEXT.
"MORE OF THE SAME" just wastes our time. And won't be tolerated for much longer in ANY event, even by his allies and supporters--whose "support" was ALWAYS conditional...NOT upon promises, but actual RESULTS.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Still a chance but unless the Gators wins out in the SEC and UGA loses two games (including against the Gators) highly unlikely.

Escambia94

What a difference just one game makes. I can now quote myself and call myself a complete idiot. Florida is not winning the East unless it transforms itself over the next few weeks. Regardless of the excuse, Florida is a bottom fifty offense and defense and is now in danger of a losing record. With 4 SEC games left, Florida will be the underdog in at least 2 of those, and overrated in 1. There are only two games left on the schedule that the Gators have a sure chance to win, short of an implosion due to more injuries and suspensions.

Escambia94

Florida will definitely not fire Mac in 2017. His contract runs through 2022 and has a stiff buyout clause. However, Mac will miss out on a lot of bonuses unless his teams perform better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema