• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

WHAT "Future"???

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, we won. By a point. In spite of ourselves, last minute of the 4th qrtr, 2nd week in a row. Against a UK team that, after 3 DECADES had every edge this time around.
Do YOU feel like this was any kind of "turning point"?
Does ANYONE HERE think the Gator offense has improved in the slightest from the one we've continued to witness year-after-year since Addazio, last (absentee) season of Meier's tenure?
At this point, DOES ANYONE FEEL THIS HEAD COACH HAS ANY HANDLE AT ALL ON HOW TO BUILD, GROW, CREATE, INSPIRE OR MAGICALLY PRODUCE AN OFFENSE?!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I still think he needs canned. Idk who to hire though, I miss the days of the old ball coach.
Well, YEAH.
But THAT (or anything like it) isn't coming, clearly. Maybe SS could come in as our AD at some point (rides in to save his Alma Mater once more, as he did as a relatively young coach back in the day)--but how much time and further deterioration would have to continue burning off before that'd even happen? I respond seriously to your comment here because part of finding and finally GETTING "the right guy" would TAKE someone like " the OBC" to pull off.
Because lets face it: So far, the people who've been entrusted with the job just haven't gotten it DONE--Not just the Coach eventually chosen, but the "braintrust" charged with finding him in the first place.
There ARE some names surfacing, at least a handfull pretty intriguing--but who knows how real those rumors are? Let alone whether THEY'D work out any better, in the end...
But THIS one is a bust, by all the signs. We can't waste much further time WAITING to try again...We gotta keep trying, again and AGAIN if necessary. Keep trying to get it right, if we wanna reverse what is an accelerating slide, imho.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here's what scares ME about us actually managing to WIN these otherwise ugly, depressing performances...
How about putting it like this:
How much longer might we have stuck with ZOOK had his teams managed to similarly WIN a couple of those last losses? Would the "powers that be" have dared to act that soon in that case (where I pretty well figure we'd be NOW if it WEREN'T for somehow "winning ugly at the very end"?).
Some will argue that that SHOULD "make the difference", that it somehow shows the DIFFERENCE, that this Coach should GET the further benefit-of-the-doubt BECAUSE of it.
I say that ALL signs, on and OFF the field, point to just the opposite. And we just can't AFFORD to keep waiting for ANY Coach to prove his inadequacies on the scoreboard. Not when all the signs are out there NOW.
But the truth is we'll likely have to wait for the losses, too, before anything is done, lets face it.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The difference between Zook and McElwain is that Mac wins close games. He is 9-1 (90%) in games decided by a touchdown or less. Muschamp was 7-9 (44%) in close games, Meyer was 11-8 (58%), Zook was 8-9 (47%), and Spurrier was 17-14 (55%).

In an era where the head coach of Florida no longer has the clear advantage in high school talent from the state of Florida, nor a resource advantage (recruiting, facilities, funding) over fellow SEC teams, nor a coaching salary advantage, Mac has found a way to win close games against near-peer teams.

Granted, Mac is 3-8 against ranked teams-- the ones with better talent. Where Mac gets no reprieve is in offensive rankings, which means better coaching on offense in addition to better recruiting on offense is needed.

All that I am saying is that Mac is doing the best with what he has, with the only hit against him being how he and his staff coach the offense.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Plus the QB situation with Franks being benched for Del Rio? I thought Zaire was second string. Maybe they can get away with using two Quarterbacks (maybe three) against Vandy if things go right but Coach Mac needs to settle on one Quarterback (unless he's hurt). Not to mention Florida dealing with the headache of this credit card fraud.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The difference between Zook and McElwain is that Mac wins close games. He is 9-1 (90%) in games decided by a touchdown or less. Muschamp was 7-9 (44%) in close games, Meyer was 11-8 (58%), Zook was 8-9 (47%), and Spurrier was 17-14 (55%).

In an era where the head coach of Florida no longer has the clear advantage in high school talent from the state of Florida, nor a resource advantage (recruiting, facilities, funding) over fellow SEC teams, nor a coaching salary advantage, Mac has found a way to win close games against near-peer teams.

Granted, Mac is 3-8 against ranked teams-- the ones with better talent. Where Mac gets no reprieve is in offensive rankings, which means better coaching on offense in addition to better recruiting on offense is needed.

All that I am saying is that Mac is doing the best with what he has, with the only hit against him being how he and his staff coach the offense.
Yes--That "close game" win-tally IS the one notable area where his team stands out--but the other point you raise, the "COUNTERpoint", if you will, is the problem: Mac is a supposed "offense guru", brought IN here for that reason more than any other, who HASN'T done anything with our offense. Part of that is, as you say, his having to do with what he's got (not a whole lot, most notably at QB--his supposed offensive SPECIALTY, btw), but by his 3rd year here has to bear a good deal of responsibility for THAT now. I just don't buy the "too much parity and too little advantage nowadays" argument anymore: Too many amazing players showing up elsewhere that we didn't even go after--and among those we do, too many that either we DON'T get, or that turn out to be media-hyped mediocrities.
And bottomline, opinions aside, good, bad or in between, the least arguable point in all this is that he and his staff continue to do so little on offense with the ones they go after and get.
All in all, like it or not, seems pretty clear he'll get to the end of this season at LEAST to "see what happens". If they don't DRAMATICALLY finally turn on this offense, soon and for the rest of this year, it'd be inexcuseably STUPID to keep him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema