• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Week 7--LSU: Here We Go Again...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna just open with a coupla remarks, set the table--leave the rest, where we go, if and when etc., to y'all.
My "official position": We just don't measure up, not yet up to that level, can't win. (Just like with Ol' Miss, only on the road). Still, New Orleans is a great town, always party hardy there. Guess we'll show up.
(I may actually try and make this one myself, if I can...Two 6 hr stages, a night out by the Gulf on the way, not so bad; now the return trip, well, that'll either be in a long dark tunnel or FLYING. In my car.)
Guess I've already telegraphed my don't-wanna-say-it-out-loud REAL position here: They're a great team, with a tough D and a superb RB having a man-among-boys season. But our D is just as good in its own way, and our O is doing ITS part now. Not gonna say it right out, but...
How's this for public, PC, Football World-at-large consumption?:
"Well, turns out we're pretty good, folks. Seem to be gettin' better, too. We stay healthy, I think we can give 'em a game, not embarass ourselves."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OMG! WTF??? ...and all the other letters of the f'ing alphabet...
Word just coming thru'of us losing Will Grier, for rest of season AT LEAST, on an "NCAA Rules Violation". Now more talk seems to indicate it was result of "performance enhancing drugs", quite possibly showing up in a test from earlier, maybe even just before the season started, surfacing now.
Well, that's that. I mean now we know how he filled out so nicely since last year--he was a RAIL his redshirt year...That's part of why he did redshirt. But point is, we are screwed now.
Treon, who let the team and himself down just weeks ago, has to step in, lead this team--and he'll require a different kind of gameplan on offense, of course. But that's not even the biggest problem here: This team had reached a delicate, new found balance, one as much emotional and attitudinal as practical/tactical. That, the spirit and mutual trust it both fed and was built on in the first place, will have to be restarted and rebuilt.
What a disappointment, on every level, in so many ways.
I don't know what'll happen, how we'll respond--but there'll be a shadow on this season now, I think, no matter what. Anything short of some kind of miracle "rally-round-Treon" win streak to complete the season will always leave us wondering, "What coulda been?"
I couldn't be more disappointed, we all are--but the team will feel it so much harder.

(By the way, my own thread title here, meant earlier in a sorta lighthearted way, has come back to bite me, inadvertently now taking on much darker meaning and resonance..."Here we go again", indeed. Maybe change it to (chanted, like our "cheer"):
" It hurts, To be, A Florida Gator... ")

Leakfan12

VIP Member
That game was going to be hard with Grier, now with the reports that Grier could be gone for the rest of the season. I hope Harris is ready against a very tough D. The same can be said about the D going against a running back who Herschel Walker said that Fournette was a better player than he was and that's saying something.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That game was going to be hard with Grier, now with the reports that Grier could be gone for the rest of the season. I hope Harris is ready against a very tough D. The same can be said about the D going against a running back who Herschel Walker said that Fournette was a better player than he was and that's saying something.
After a few hours, it's still raw as it all settles in, but even as I have to accept and get used to the new situation, the "noise" from out there (I listen to SeriusXM SAT "College Sports" while I am in my car) is starting an angry kind of "backlash" response in me. Sure, this is a HUGE blow, we know it and wonder ourselves how bad things will turn now--but it ISN'T as if we don't have ANYONE to "step in and step up". They're talking as if it's already a done deal, that all we got left now is our D, the SEC East is "up in the air" now, "Kentucky comes more into play", and so on.
Look, there were good, sound reasons Grier got the nod in the "QB competition", and he was more and more rising to the challenge. But Treon has great athleticism, mad talent, and SWAGGER. If he rises to THIS "challenge", as Mac will do everything to draw from him AND give him every chance he can come up with to do, game by game the offense will still have a chance to hold up its side of things for the D to make stick.
Look, lets remember, Coach hasn't even begun to gather "his kind of guys" to play the game fully his way--including at QB. It's amazing, a sign of brilliance on offense and what is to come once he does, what he's shown us thus far.
This was just a glimpse, a bonus gift in the form of a kind of "magic run" to start things off. Its a damn shame, in so many ways, if it suddenly stops in this way--worst of all for Will Grier, who will likely find a whole new situation by the time he is once again eligible to play. But its also an opportunity for Treon--and whether he comes through or not, now gotta believe our future is bright in seasons ahead regardless.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Treon is good, but I half expect him to get busted marijuana next weekend. We cannot catch a break.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No matter what they're saying "out there", this coaching staff must and WILL let Treon be Treon: Sure, it won't be "run first" for him--but it never WAS that when he's been in there.
We can talk bout how they'll tweak the offense, but Mac and Nusmeyer'll play to his strengths. They know they can't call a game or ask Treon to play SCARED. Aside from everything else going on here, to win it the D has to put us in a position to do so, and Treon (with the help of his receivers, Kelvin, and above all the O line) will then have to actually WIN it. It'll be hard. But it can be done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema