• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UF’s Floyd has hearing with NCAA, future up in the air

News Bot

News Bot
As JT touched on yesterday, Florida sophomore defensive end Sharrif Floyd was to be interviewed by the NCAA yesterday (Tuesday) regarding a recent ruling that left him ineligible against Florida Atlantic. The speculation about the ruling was that the NCAA was interested in North Carolina’s recruitment of Floyd in high school, which appeared to involve…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Still "nothing further"...the longer the NCAA leaves Shariff twisting in the wind (and US--in declining importance, the TEAM and its plans, hopes and chemistry, and we fans, who in addition to being eager to see his much-talked about great improvement on the field, do NOT want to see this young man screwed, no matter what), the more unfair this is just by itself, no matter WHAT it's about or what the "verdict" is. This whole haphazard, arbitrary and itself unregulated form of "trial and punishment" seems more "kangaroo court" than "fair and even-handed jurisprudence". I mean, he basically starts OUT being punished here, made to sit out the opening game because of supposed "questions" that weren't even revealed to HIM until he was under their questioning for 1 and 1/2 hours. Sounds more like "inquisition" than "investigation".

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Still "nothing further"...the longer the NCAA leaves Shariff twisting in the wind (and US--in declining importance, the TEAM and its plans, hopes and chemistry, and we fans, who in addition to being eager to see his much-talked about great improvement on the field, do NOT want to see this young man screwed, no matter what), the more unfair this is just by itself, no matter WHAT it's about or what the "verdict" is. This whole haphazard, arbitrary and itself unregulated form of "trial and punishment" seems more "kangaroo court" than "fair and even-handed jurisprudence". I mean, he basically starts OUT being punished here, made to sit out the opening game because of supposed "questions" that weren't even revealed to HIM until he was under their questioning for 1 and 1/2 hours. Sounds more like "inquisition" than "investigation".

Johnny Cochran don't got nothing on you bud. Why is this even a issue . This young man came from nothing . Are these white collar suck ups so full of themselves that they don't understand how people struggle in life. For goodness sakes the school put on a bake sale to help pay for travel expenses to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

This speaks for itself :
At times during his high school years, Floyd lived with his grandmother as well as an aunt in a basement apartment and had to wear the same clothes to school.
"A lot of people helped him because he had nothing," Cohen said. "He didn't have two pennies to rub together. I had to give him money to eat sometimes. Transportation, clothes."

GOD BLESS them for doing this. Why on earth would they even question some one who cam from this. Why Didn't They do something to Cam"The Scam"Newton. He won the Heisman and the National Championship with NO sitting out what so ever. Nothing Else was ever done . I guess none of the money "his dad" got never ever went to Cam. BULL S#$T !! I don't buy it.

But back to Floyd. Just leave him alone. Let the boy play. Let him live the Dream!!!! That I wish (prob. you to) and many others could of lived when we were younger. This story is very close to me coming from my back ground. It makes you better. It makes you equal. You belong, You also remember people who helped you over come it . Just my two cents. Sorry i went over the edge......

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Once again F------------K the NCAA. Honestly if that's it issue with Floyd, LET HIM PLAY. OK he had some contact with this ex-UNC coach but still not a reason to sit him out heck the F--KING NCAA allow four canes to play. I email Dale Hansen a few times after the Pony Exce$$ doc on ESPN. He said the Cam Newton situation was a joke. I hope he's available to play soon. Also he's for the Auburn game so he can slam Dyer and Trottier into the Ground HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I bet unless the NCAA finds out he took a bunch from UNC/Agents then he won't be punished too hard for anything. He already missed one game, and now maybe two.... the NCAA will remember that.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am down with EVERYTHING said here...but one of the worst things about the NCAA is their nose-in-the-air arrogance. They don't even HEAR the likes of us, no matter how long and loud the growing anger rises. I'm tellin' ya, it is time to walk away from these glad-handing back-room-dealers. I've said it before: they're like Claude Raines as Capt. Renneau in "Casablanca", shouting "I'm shocked, SHOCKED to discover that there is GAMBLING going on in this establishment!", as the croupier comes quietly up to him, hands him a wad of cash and says, "Your winnings, sir" as the club is closed.
They pick and choose their targets, and they seem to go by "who has the least amount of power", especially when it comes to levying punishment. Thing is, THEIR power is given to them TOTALLY by the institutions themselves--the more influence a particular school and/or administrator WITH that school has, the more "careful" they are with them.
A prescription for unbalanced and unfair adjudication, wouldn't you say? Time for something new, it seems to me.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just got an alert from The Sentinel that Shariff Floyd has been " ineligible declared by the NCAA for 2 games". I'm doing this (receiving and sending the news on) using my phone, so I have neither the time nor patience (not a big one-handed thumb-texter) to follow up right now--but I'll be interested to know more, and MEANWHILE: This is, on balance, good news, of course...I mean, bottom line is that we get him back for Tennessee, right? That much we know. That is huge.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I LIKE THIS!!!!

UPDATED 5:46 p.m. ET: Florida released a statement attributed to Jeremy Foley addressing the NCAA’s decision, and UF’s athletic director doesn’t appear too pleased with the ruling.

“It is important to note that Sharrif brought this matter to our attention and we reported the facts to the NCAA this past February. We were comfortable with the information we provided, yet the NCAA staff interpreted that there were violations. In accordance with NCAA rules, we declared him ineligible for the season opener and requested restoration of his eligibility. Sharrif has been extremely forthcoming throughout the process and the NCAA has commented on his honesty and openness.
Sharrif grew up in an environment where he didn’t have the things most of us take for granted – food, shelter and clothing. In the absence of parents, there were kind people, in no way affiliated with the University of Florida, who were not boosters or sports agents, that helped him along the way to provide those things that he would otherwise not have had. This is not an issue about his recruitment to the University of Florida or any other University.
Sharrif Floyd is an outstanding young man and we are very proud that he represents our program. We are all disappointed that he had to deal with this situation, but he will move forward and be stronger for this.”

Good reply from UF.
Seems to harsh for someone who brought it to they're attention in the first place. But, so be it let him move on and think of this as a win and he has nothing to hide or owe anyone ANYTHING from here on out...​

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's just reprehensible: star scUM players who took cash from an agent-booster (already ANOTHER major violation) get one-game suspensions (and THEN only after the person who slipped them the cash comes clean from jail), while poverty-stricken lad who self-reports his help from neighbors and a non-profit foundation as soon as he suspects it MIGHT be a problem gets TWO game-suspension.
While glad it's over, I am still just SO disgusted...I see this as one more general outrage from the by-now-mostly-irrelevant NCAA, and (in MY view) a SPECIFIC reason for Florida to finally and seriously begin to consider "What comes next?"--that is, "What comes after the NCAA?", at least for the big-time teams that are currently reforming into a separate "elite group of Super Conferences" ANYWAY...I say "Leave 'em behind", form our own "College Football Championship Association (CFCA)" with those other programs: solve both the play-off question AND the whole way football players are reimbursed for their part in a dangerous and lucrative system (not to mention their AND the Universities' part in functioning as a defacto minor-league for the NFL), PLUS in the process simplify the Rulebook once and for all (the NCAA's is several inches THICK).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema