• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Tide suffocating opposing offenses

News Bot

News Bot
Heading into the season, many were predicting this Alabama defense would be the best Nick Saban has had in his five years in Tuscaloosa. Through four games, it certainly appears to be.
This is a suffocating defense that doesn’t give up big plays, doesn’t give up many points, first downs or yards, and doesn’t give up many third-down conversions.
I thought I’d throw these numbers out there to illustrate just how dominant this Saban defense has been this season . My intent is not to depress Florida fans, but these stats might just do that:
* The Tide is giving up only 184.0 total yards a game and ranks in the top three in the nation in pass efficiency (74.70 passer rating), scoring defense (8.8 points a game), rushing defense (45.75 yards a game) and pass defense (138.25 yards a game).
* Alabama’s defense has been the best in the nation in limiting pass completions. The Tide has held opponents to 43.95 completion percentage (67 of 157) and leads the nation in fewest yards per attempt (3.52) and is second in yards per completion (8.01).
* Opponents are averaging a mere 2.82 yards per play against the Tide.
* Opposing offenses have driven across midfield against Alabama only 13 times this season.
* The Alabama defense is giving up an average of only 11.75 first downs per game this season.
* The Tide defense has been its smothering best early in games. Alabama has given up only 10 first-half points all season.
* The Alabama defense leads the nation in three-and-outs with 30 through four games.
Statistically, this is the best defense in the nation — and the best Saban has had at Alabama (and maybe anywhere else).
Yards and first downs and points are going to be hard to come by for the Gators on Saturday.

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am no more impressed by Alabama's wins against Kent State, Penn State, and North Texas than I am impressed by Florida's wins over FAU, UAB, and Kentucky. I say that Alabama versus Arkansas is the only meaningful game for them this year, and I saw vulnerabilities. I say that Florida versus Tennessee was our only meaningful game, and I saw weaknesses. Alabama has the advantage because Arkansas tested them more than Tennessee tested us, but I am not enamored by Alabama like I was last year when I think they had a much better team and they lost some games they should have won.

Bama Trey

Gator Fan
I believe Bama's D is as good as the 09 D, and we know how that turned out. The thing is, UF's D is as talented as Bama's (IMO).

I expect a very physical game and hopefully Bama coming out on top.

Bama 27, UF 24

Tapatalk makes me look incoherent

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Watching the Razorbacks collapse against a good-but-not-great Aggie team right now on TV, it is clear that even the Arkansas win wasn't quite "the Statement" that many "experts" took it to be. Arkansas' defense is even more lackadaisical than was projected coming into the season. Petrino has learned NOTHING about winning in the SEC since he got here, apparently, and TAMU better take heed: a flashy offense will just get you drilled in the 2nd half without a tough "D".
Even now, the Aggies are starting to lose their once-big early lead. NEITHER of these teams scare me.
For our purposes THIS season, it bodes well for our game today--just as LSU's difficulty shaking Kentucky through most of the first half should buoy our hopes next week. One game at a time, though (and that one's in Death Valley, almost as bad as our place--well, almost as LOUD, anyway).
I believe Bama's D is as good as the 09 D, and we know how that turned out. The thing is, UF's D is as talented as Bama's (IMO).

I expect a very physical game and hopefully Bama coming out on top.

Bama 27, UF 24

I have to ask this, since no one else has:
What's your deal, man? You're a Tide-fan, who for some reason also calls himself a Gator fan (a logical fallacy--DOES NOT COMPUTE), and you're here, uh, WHY? Honestly, sir, in a last attempt at civil equanimity, I warn you: THIS is a HIGHLY loyal and committed ALL-GATOR SITE--and I think I speak for most of my friends and colleagues here that we will NOT welcome some gloating troll here on game day--so just state your opinion or share your reasons for even BEING here, and then kindly MOVE ON.
(I'm sorry, Gator-friends, but I just won't have this on our site, not on GAMEDAY. Unless y'all feel differently and feel all warm and welcoming to any ol' Elephant-lovin' fool who shows up here, I will make it my personal project to "clear out the flotsam and jetsom", if you get my drift...)

Bama Trey

Gator Fan
If I am not welcome, I will simply move on. I just discovered this forum and enjoy discussing FB with SEC rivals, but if this is not what the gator community on this forum wishes, then that's all good and well. I wonder if you would take that stance if we met in person. I have many family and friends that are UF faithful and it is always civil and entertaining.

Again, hope it's a great game.. With Bama coming out on top.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If I am not welcome, I will simply move on. I just discovered this forum and enjoy discussing FB with SEC rivals, but if this is not what the gator community on this forum wishes, then that's all good and well. I wonder if you would take that stance if we met in person. I have many family and friends that are UF faithful and it is always civil and entertaining.

I've tried to explain this to you on the other thread, the one where you actually introduced yourself. As I say, I came upon this one first; maybe I wouldn't have written THIS one at all had I come upon it second--certainly I would have put it more patiently. Over here (in N. America), there are a LOT of Gator-Haters, a disproportionate number of whom inundate the more public Gator-sites with obnoxious, gloating stupidity--we call them "trolls"-- that eventually come to dominate all discussion at those sites. That is NOT the case here at "The Envy" (also referred to as "GE"), and we aim to KEEP it that way.
When I saw THIS post here, out of the blue, making so little sense, on a long and MAJOR GAMEDAY, I thought the worst: that maybe some troll was trying to sneak his "Go Tide Go"-crap into our midst by CALLING himself a "Gator Fan" even though he obviously was not, only to stir some sh*t up...that's exactly how it starts, what they do, their modus operendi; soon others join in and we've lost our clean, safe Gator-Oasis ('Noles and 'Canes are the worst in this regard, but you never know...).
If you read my other post, you'll understand that I do "get" that you are sincere--if somewhat confused! I just don't think you understand how and why you can't have it both ways--plenty of families are torn apart in this way on Saturdays. They manage to reform and continue on loving and even living together all the other days (well, sometimes there's a day or two "hangover" from a particular bitterly contested struggle). I'd suggest you commit to supporting and defending your team, whichever one that is, and doing so with honor and enthusiasm. While even I will welcome your joining in general discussion and offering a non-Gator's view of things on most days, I must warn you again: you can NOT expect easy-going or relaxed patience with ANY Tide-support on our GAMEDAY Thread here at GE--least of all some happy "Hope it's a good game and Alabama wins"-Tra-la-la in the middle of it all, no matter how "sincere".
"To HELL with everything else: the ONLY thing that'll make this a good game is if the Gators WIN!"
Pull away all the other BS and THAT'S the way it is for everyone here--oh, we want to see all the players come through it relatively healthy on BOTH sides of the field--but even THERE our main concerns are with not seeing GATORS injured...and though a close, late-game loss would show clear improvement, there really ARE no "moral victories".
That's the way things are, really are, in Big Time College Football here in the SEC.

Oh: and do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and get rid of that "Tapatalk..." disclaimer...I know it's an improvement over the longer one that is the default, but you can and SHOULD get rid of it entirely--irritatingly lame, if you're gonna continue posting...

Bama Trey

Gator Fan
I've tried to explain this to you on the other thread, the one where you actually introduced yourself. As I say, I came upon this one first; maybe I wouldn't have written THIS one at all had I come upon it second--certainly I would have put it more patiently. Over here (in N. America), there are a LOT of Gator-Haters, a disproportionate number of whom inundate the more public Gator-sites with obnoxious, gloating stupidity--we call them "trolls"-- that eventually come to dominate all discussion at those sites. That is NOT the case here at "The Envy" (also referred to as "GE"), and we aim to KEEP it that way.
When I saw THIS post here, out of the blue, making so little sense, on a long and MAJOR GAMEDAY, I thought the worst: that maybe some troll was trying to sneak his "Go Tide Go"-crap into our midst by CALLING himself a "Gator Fan" even though he obviously was not, only to stir some sh*t up...that's exactly how it starts, what they do, their modus operendi; soon others join in and we've lost our clean, safe Gator-Oasis ('Noles and 'Canes are the worst in this regard, but you never know...).
If you read my other post, you'll understand that I do "get" that you are sincere--if somewhat confused! I just don't think you understand how and why you can't have it both ways--plenty of families are torn apart in this way on Saturdays. They manage to reform and continue on loving and even living together all the other days (well, sometimes there's a day or two "hangover" from a particular bitterly contested struggle). I'd suggest you commit to supporting and defending your team, whichever one that is, and doing so with honor and enthusiasm. While even I will welcome your joining in general discussion and offering a non-Gator's view of things on most days, I must warn you again: you can NOT expect easy-going or relaxed patience with ANY Tide-support on our GAMEDAY Thread here at GE--least of all some happy "Hope it's a good game and Alabama wins"-Tra-la-la in the middle of it all, no matter how "sincere".
"To HELL with everything else: the ONLY thing that'll make this a good game is if the Gators WIN!"
Pull away all the other BS and THAT'S the way it is for everyone here--oh, we want to see all the players come through it relatively healthy on BOTH sides of the field--but even THERE our main concerns are with not seeing GATORS injured...and though a close, late-game loss would show clear improvement, there really ARE no "moral victories".
That's the way things are, really are, in Big Time College Football here in the SEC.

Oh: and do yourself (and everyone else) a favor and get rid of that "Tapatalk..." disclaimer...I know it's an improvement over the longer one that is the default, but you can and SHOULD get rid of it entirely--irritatingly lame, if you're gonna continue posting...

DRU2012,

1: I am 110% American. 24 years of active duty service will attest to that. And while i live in Germany, I am still a country boy from Alabama.

2: I completely understand the stakes regarding this game which starts @ 0200 my time. I will be glued to the TV thanks to coffee, amphetamines (j/k), and an addiction to Bama FB.

3: I read your response to this thread prior to your response to my introduction... I get it.

4: Let there be be no doubt; I am a Bama fan through and through. I am old school. I want to express my thoughts on this forum or any forum for that matter as if I were speaking in person; not behind a screen through the Internet. I will pull for UF unless they are playing Bama. Is that really that uncommon nowadays? I hope Bama beats Florida 50 to 0, but that is not realistic. UF's D and speed on offense and defense will give Bama all it can handle.

5: I understand my status here and approached in like manner. My enthusiasm is present but suppressed.

6: Win or lose, I'll come back in a couple if weeks... If Bama loses, I'll offer congratulations tomorrow.

Yea, maybe my tapatwat signature is lame, sorry.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Never doubted you were an American--just whether you knew what you were getting into HERE--Obviously I stand corrected. I was a "military brat" who lived all over the place too, and sometimes we lost track of the details and nuances of life back "in the world", even on the base where they did their best.
As for coming "back in a couple of weeks", FORGET all that, trey--you set me straight: I went off on what I THOUGHT was happening...I do that sometimes. If you'd rather hang online with a bunch of rabid Gator fans while watching the game, and you understand the ground rules (which, by virtue of going through all the guff I'VE already given you and chosen to respond with proud dignity, I figure more than qualifies ya--for all THAT'S worth), who am I to say anything more about it?
I'm sure you're aware that you can get feeds of your CHOICE from Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, and national-based radio play-by-play telecasts online to run concurrently with everything else, right? Nothing like the home-town broadcast for biased enthusiasm...
Man, I wish they'd have had something like the internet when I was in Asia all those years back--we had only the "Game of the Week" on tape-delay (flown in) for the Armed Forces Network--I'll never forget the absolute THRILL of a slick radioman's managing to pull in a portion of a Gator game on AM in the early hours of the morning (technically Sunday there, of course), grabbing it on something like its 4th or 5th bounce off the ionisphere, a "fluke of weather on the Earth and the Sun", according to his explanation.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Welcome to the board Trey, thanks for your service. Sure that the Gators have a good chance at a upset. Come back when the Gators beat the living s--t out of Auburn.

TraderGator

Gator Fan
I think it's inherently provocative for an opposing fan to appear on gameday (or game week) and start posting. If they want to discuss the game they have plenty of Alabama forums to do it on.

I doubt there is a single Albama board that would do anything less than flame the heck out of any Gator fan -- no matter what he/she posted.

But finally, if I wanted to read an analysis of the other team from another fans' perspective, I go to their board . . . but I DON'T. I want to read what fellow Gator fans have to say. No matter how sugar-coated, posting "Hope it's a great game with Alabama coming out on top," is nothing but provocative to every other person on this board who hopes Alabama loses by 50 . . . or mid-field opens up and swallows the entire team right after the game.

That's my 2-cents.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(If you want to see the whole "trajectory" of this exchange, check out "trey" 's thread from Saturday, "Hello Gator Fans"...I don't think trey's a bad guy or anything, but TraderGator has a point, a point among several I tried to make myself to trey before the game yesterday, along with warnings about the context to which he seemed to be oblivious--and which, to be honest, he STILL doesn't appear to grasp. Oh well; after drawing a sharp line, I tried to be fair...frankly, I'm not going to give this another thought.)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I guess I should go back to my earlier post and say that not only am I enamored by Alabama, but also jealous. I really did think this would be a closer game, just as most of the Gator Nation. Does this mean we were all wrong about last year's coaches? We shall see.

Bama Trey

Gator Fan
Again, my intent was and is not hostile. Whatever it is I am not grasping, not sure.. Although I admit I am not up to speed with this forum's etiquette IRT fans of other programs, specifically how it applies to Bama fans. In hindsight, I would not have introduced myself on the weekend of the UF/Bama game. I view these fan forums as a tool and a form of entertainment, and don't take the interaction that seriously. I just want to be responsible and represent myself as an intelligent and good natured fan that doesn't hate. Lord knows there are many that don't by hiding behind a screen and bring disdain and a bad reputation upon the school they represent. I am a long time member of Tidefans.com, and love the place, but they have their share of fans that only view the CFB through crimson glasses. I guess I was a bit naive in my thinking.

I hope that the majority of GE members see me as what I wish to be portrayed, and appreciate those that welcomed me.

Peace UF fans; I hope the rest of the season is a good one for you.

Trey

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
No, we were not--though in facing all the weaknesses they were eventually (by last year, certainly) responsible for, it is only right, fair and accurate to acknowledge the strengths as well (like the components that form the foundation of our NEW and rising "D"), which I give a short nod to on my "...Cliff..."-thread, but (while having considered and actually written down much more detail on in my notes) decided not to get too sidetracked with in presenting an already detailed set of ideas.
Among the negatives, and not to belabor these either, but toughness, physical and mental, was not enough of a consideration, neither the way they judged prospective recruits as individuals nor how it manifested itself in and among the whole team. Attention to detail, high in Meyer's priorities at the beginning but seemingly less so to he or the newer assistants who he came more and more to depend on over time, flagged in a number of areas, with unfortunate consequences. Some we're STILL dealing with, as I also note in passing in the new thread: I believe that's what the continued flow of once-touted recruits moving on is about. Everyone is low-key and up-beat about it, and that alone should tip us off, but there's more evidence there if you look for it. Anyway, once I understood it, I saw it as a GOOD thing, part of our very real move in a certain direction--but I'll leave that for y'all to consider and respond to on the other thread...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema