• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Thursday Odds and Ends

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Alright, here we go.
Finally gathered the necessary gumption to face the tail-end of what I knew would amount to "irritating commentary" in the stories featured on ESPN+ this past week. Had to go there to watch the Mullens post-UK presser anyway--and got my first look at the headlines. COULDN'T stomach any MORE than that, a "glance" at all the examples of them getting it wrong, as usual, or at the very least missing the larger context EVERY TIME. Anyway, actually skim-read some of them (those having to do with US in some way), and though it WAS "irritating" (and that's the LIGHTEST way I can put it!), there are some points worth noting.
First, yes, though guided by, SOAKED in shallow sensationalism, so that for the most part "end of the streak" is the main theme (in isolation from any larger insights), that in turn made acknowledgment and publicity of the wide range of "WEIRDNESS" along the way in the game itself, the "strange calls" along the way and outright "crazy way it ended", and so on, at least ultimately (however inadvertently) now makes the overall impression and conclusion taken from it seem mainly one that trivializes its importance, rather than symbolizing anything in the way of Kentucky ascendance (too bad for them) or Florida longterm descent. For OUR part, it all just further contributes to the idea that we take it, learn from it, then LEAVE IT BEHIND.
Put it all in a bag with the REST of that garbage that SHOULD have been collected long ago.
And speaking of "old news" and mistakes repeated that you'd THINK were "done and gone" but we KEEP having shoved in our faces, there is that Will Grier story and how, with each competent performance now, we have to keep seeing/hearing the Heisman drumbeat. ANOTHER QB that not just excells after leaving, but gets HIMSELF into trouble here, in his case CHOOSES to quit on us after doing so, then goes on to over-the-top "redemption" somewhere else. He's not quite the scumbag Cam & Co. (that daddy of HIS a real piece of work) turned out to be, but again: He screwed up stupidly here, then quit on US! Then again, once again, our Head Coach and staff thought they either had in hand or could simply go out and GET someone as good or better than a kid we already KNEW, had seen early all the talent, fit and potential Grier for sure HAD IN OUR SYSTEM: MacEllwaine's general lack of oversight, insight or guidance/control over what was going on "in the lockerroom" (just a continuation of what was by then damn near a TRADITION of such blind foolishness in our Coaches, since late-Meyer/Addazio, right through Muschamp and INTO the MacEllwaine regime). So we flounder somewhat now (even IF the pieces are already in place for good, promising growth now and a rising tide of eventual greatness later, and that might well be the case, as things stand for us right here, right now, it ISN'T the present where all that "promise" pays off, but rather our growth, the building progress towards what we can BE that is the story, and where we'll need to look to find and appreciate whatever success we have this season--and what we can take from it all, and enjoy), while Grier's very public success can't but be an undertone on a certain level can't but be a kind of disturbing undertone to what may feel, eventually like a SEASON of "might have beens"...WE need to focus on the UP-side of all that, on where we're headed and the various signs that THIS Head Coach us GETTING IT DONE.
OK. I'm done--with the (I sense NEEDED) "pep talk" AND the whole UK thing, in fact our whole "RECENT PAST"-thing.
Lets all really TRY to do ourselves what we need our whole TEAM to do, in a sense: START OVER FROM HERE.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
It has been a long decade of boring Gator football. I am willing to give Mullen one year to change my mind.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It has been a long decade of boring Gator football. I am willing to give Mullen one year to change my mind.
What seems a "fair standard" this team and program must achieve in order to give him that "one year" then, E--? A certain number of wins? Is there some other solid objective threshold that can be measurably attained that we can see and point to?
You said it yourself: the talent level just isn't there, where it needs to be, yet. I suspect that overall it could EASILY be two or three seasons before we show the kind of elite-level consistency you refer to, and we all ultimately expect. Can our fanbase and wealthy boosters wait that long? What benchmarks can we likely see and measure along the way, game by game and season by season, point to and say, "Yes--we're getting there!"?
In Mullens' case, I sure hope it all adds up to more than just one or two. As I've said repeatedly here of late, I truly believe that as long as there IS clear progress season by season, he'll need, DESERVES more than one to achieve his (and OUR) goals of elite-level success.
Given the bleak desert of alternatives, "failure is not an option".
Given where we are starting from now, I don't intend to form any particular judgment nor expectation until we see what comes of the effort ahead.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Technically, Mullen gets five or six years from his boss, because that is how the contract is structured. From me, Mullen gets one year to show that he is not repeating the mistakes of his predecessors, and that he has the tools to fix the program.

What I mean by that is that for one year I really do not care about wins and losses, since 65/85 (76%) of these scholarship players are not his recruits. By next year, only 30/85 (24%) will not be his, and we will see how he recruits QBs, WRs, RBs, and TEs with a full year of his own recruiting staff. In two years we will see if he can fix the offensive line. We also need a year to figure out if Grantham's defense is going to work at Florida.

Can the boosters wait that long? They have no choice. It makes zero financial sense for the boosters to invest in Mullen for less than five years. There is no Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer on the market now or in a few years to alter that business case.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Technically, Mullen gets five or six years from his boss, because that is how the contract is structured. From me, Mullen gets one year to show that he is not repeating the mistakes of his predecessors, and that he has the tools to fix the program.

What I mean by that is that for one year I really do not care about wins and losses, since 65/85 (76%) of these scholarship players are not his recruits. By next year, only 30/85 (24%) will not be his, and we will see how he recruits QBs, WRs, RBs, and TEs with a full year of his own recruiting staff. In two years we will see if he can fix the offensive line. We also need a year to figure out if Grantham's defense is going to work at Florida.

Can the boosters wait that long? They have no choice. It makes zero financial sense for the boosters to invest in Mullen for less than five years. There is no Steve Spurrier or Urban Meyer on the market now or in a few years to alter that business case.
Right. (...espec to that final statement: It is my "floating log in a sea of uncertainty" that Mullens appears to have enough aspects and traits of each, and IS enough of a committed Gator--as opposed to a purchased one--now to understand what the expectations are, fully SHARES them and came IN with a plan that entails the flexible strategies and tactics that he will use to fulfill them...Gotta believe he KNOWS we need to be well down that road, have by then created and are all RIDING a well-crafted, smooth-functioning MACHINE long before the details of his current contract are issues being considered in any discussion about our "progress" as a program some years from now. Here's HOPING instead we've torn up that contract and happily locked our Coach into a lucrative extension we are by then confident is well worth it.)
In fact, now that you've clarified your words and conditions, E--, seems that your "current outlook" amounts to just another way of summing up how most of us here feel about where we are, where we're going, what we're looking for, AND how we intend to judge all that and in what kind of timeframe...Above all, how each of us is girding ourselves for the rest of THIS year, armoring ourselves against disappointment in win/loss expectations rest of THIS season and instead look for certain "performance benchmarks" regarding what Mullens, his players, and staff show us in ongoing efforts on and OFF the field, throughout the current season and beyond. My own such "standards" and expectations may be less specific, but like judging "good art", "I know it when I see it!".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema