• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

The Fifth Quarter: Week 10 Rewind

News Bot

News Bot
As is the case each and every season, each and every week, any omission below is not on purpose, it’s merely intentional. SHAKEUP SATURDAY AS CHAOS COMMENCES At one point in the early evening hours Saturday, three undefeated teams (Clemson, Iowa, TCU) were all losing, while another (Houston) was tied. While the week ended up […]
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
For us, the most obvious conclusion is a simple conformation of a stark truth:
Treom Harris just isn't gonna cut it as a starting QB at ALL, at least at the elite levels of the SEC. Like Driskel and Brisset before him, as we've seen, he'd prob do ok at a lesser program in a lesser conference, but up here he is at best "a good back-up"--glad he's there if uou need someone midgame and/or for a few weeks thereafter til your starter gets back (which is likely EXACTLY why Mac played things out the way he did, giving him every chance even once he prob knew Grier was gonna be his guy), but adter that, wrll, we all see it now.
On the other hand, it's not all bad news even now: It wasn't so much Treon that was the only prob yesterday...In fact, he did keep the offense moving the ball, even more n the 2nd half when run-yards evaporated. It was mostly turn-overs that kept keeping us off the scoreboard-&but he and yhe offense DID keep moving it. And in the end, unlike recent seasons when we had this sort of games, at the end, last chance, when it counted, he and everyone else (even Hardin) GOT IT DONE. The bad news: EVERYONE on EVERY D is gonna be ripping at that ball the rest of the way. And tbey all will also DARR us to throw. But if he can get into one pf his "grooves", these hot streaks he sometimes hits throwing it, we can beat ANYONE. Troublr is, these don't seem to last more'n a qrtr or 2, at best, if/when they show up. Can't count on it for FSU OR Alabama, either.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Under Will Grier, the offense was ranked #47 early on and peaked around #30 before the suspension. Under Treon Harris, the offense has settled in around #92, right where we were last year.

On defense, the Gators are sitting at #5, which is a slight improvement over last year's average around #9.

Some analysts have pointed out that Harris has been improving in the pocket as defenses have slanted/stunted or lined up 4 wide with a crashing MLB to contain his mobility. I did not realize this, but one analyst pointed out that all 12 of Harris' completions came from the pocket, because Vanderbilt schemed the entire defense to contain him and hit him. All that Treon needs to do is learn when to stand in the pocket, and when to throw the ball away.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Still think the biggest prob is the offensive line. Hopefully we have some good ones coming in. Treon would probably be OK if we had a better line.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Still think the biggest prob is the offensive line. Hopefully we have some good ones coming in. Treon would probably be OK if we had a better line.
Think you're definitely on to something there, mg...but "ok" is probably the BEST we'll get from him on any consistent basis. The good news here is that Mac & Co. have GOT to be on the same page, definitely pursuing "bigger, faster, stronger" big uglies.
Meanwhile, though, I noted Harris' moving the ball--we can drub lessors and keep up with the best if only he stays calm, picks his spots, and EVERYONE HANGS ONTO IT. Think they might be spending s lot of time on "rip at it" drills the coming week?
But we're gonna need a "real starting QB" going into NEXT season: Will Grier looked like he MIGHT be up for it, but if he isn't available before the 4th (let alone the 6th) game, we could have already have had our hopes and horizons seriously crimped by the time he's back. We'd have been after one anyway (in fact I'm sure our staff will be looking to start COLLECTING 'em on an annual basis, Mac has anything to say about it), but unless we get a favorable ruling with the NCAA before NSD, they'll be looking for a kid who has a chance to start now, YESTERDAY! We get a decent start next year, no telling how far we go. But with Treon starting first half of the season, well, even WITH a healthy, deeper O-line, we could find our won-loss record making it a seeming "step backwards"--and that would truly suck.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Agree with that Dru. OK is NOT where we need to be. I would hope we're looking at some JC Xfers for the line and QB. Seems like they're trying to make Treon into a drop back QB and that ain't his deal.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
All things being equal, Grier is a better QB than Treon. All things being equal, Grier will complete 65% of his passes, but Treon will complete 55%.

The offensive line can help Treon, but the same players are not getting injured. There is a big difference between right guard and left tackle, for example, and our OL players have been struggling with swapping positions to cover down on injuries. With Treon it is more important to not only seal the pocket so he can see over the offensive line, but also keep a clear passing lane with an escape lane for him to run when the pocket breaks down. With Will, he just stepped up into the pocket as it collapsed, or he drifted backwards and threw as he retreated. What this tells us is that the offensive line needs to not only adapt to injuries, but also to differences in the QB playing style.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Depth and talent. Everything you say above is right and true, E-, and I couldn't agree more how telling just that difference in accuracy/completion rate is in explaining a lot of the difference between the two QB's success at running Mac's offense--and how everything else, scheme and style-of-play and so on, has to be adapted accordingly to accomodate that AND related skills. But underlying ALL of it is the utter NECESSITY that we upgrade BOTH elements of that old saw, "It ain't just X's and O's, it's Jimmy and Joes" (I THINK I got that right...). As to how we get that done, in any way besides waiting for Grier to get back at QB, and hoping at least a COUPLE of freshman O-liners come around QUICK next year, well, I talk about these very things in my last coupla comments on the "Gameday" thread--but aside from a few "hopin'/maybe"s, I just don't have any answers right now. Sure hope Mac &Co. DO...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Btw: If you're paying any attention, today's "lesson" for the Playoff Ranking Committee would appear to be, "ANY win is valuable; no such thing as a "bad win" OR a "good loss" after all--and no forgone conclusions." One of my problems with this group has been the various posturings, pronouncements, mental contortions and conflicting rationales by which they appear to arrive at then explain their concusions so far. It's more Beauty Pageant than ever, no matter WHAT they say.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema