• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Talk of the Town": And now for something completely different......

Mr2Bits

Gator Fan
In one form or another, we're all going through that dreaded syndrome called "football withdrawal" now that both National Signing Day and the Super Bowl have come and gone. Those of us who follow Gator basketball find that helps take the edge off a little, but for the next two weeks I'll be following another sporting event that I enjoy, even though we lack snow in this great state of Florida: the <a href="http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/showthread.php?p=50863">Winter Olympics</a>.

In between <a href="http://www.gatorenvy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7">Gator basketball games</a>, I'll be rooting on Team USA in their quest to bring home the gold and I hope that many of my readers will join me. In spite of the ups and downs, the victory and the tragedy, the dreams come true and the controversy, I still can't pass up the Games. From the USA hockey team's "Miracle on Ice" in 1980 to "Skategate" in 2002, there never seems to be a dull moment at the Olympics.

One thing I do want to see less of at the Games are these events being marred by international politics - and that goes for both the Winter AND Summer Games. This is an athletic event meant to encourage peaceful competition between nations, not an arena for individual countries to air their grievances. Because of past events such as the 1972 terrorist attacks at the Munich Summer Games and the current war on terrorism taking place, security of the participants and spectators alike at the Games cannot be compromised, but that being said they're still not meant to be used as a political forum. The same with doping; already more than 30 athletes have been disqualified for use of banned substances and thank God the WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) has been proactive in catching the drug cheats. Sure many of the athletes may find this to be an inconvenience, but an aggressive anti-doping protocol is necessary to even the playing field as well as serve as a measure to ensure the long-term health of the athletes.

In spite of the aforementioned negatives, I still hope that Team USA can improve on a rather mediocre showing at the last Winter Games (Torino in 2006). Seeing that they're being held on the North American continent in Canada this year, we should have somewhat of an edge.

Before I forget, good luck to former Gator decathlete Steve Mesler, who'll be competing in the men's bobsled competition - would love to see him do a Gator Chomp should he and his crew medal!

All said, enjoy the Games - come on Team USA, GO FOR THE GOLD!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema