• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

SEC East up for grabs after No. 11 Georgia’s 38-20 loss to Florida

News Bot

News Bot
While the SEC West garners most of the attention, the SEC East is officially a mess. As the only ranked SEC East program, the No. 11 Georgia Bulldogs were the clear favorite to claim a division crown and play in the SEC Championship Game. Mark Richt‘s program held its destiny in its hands and fumbled…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Who cares about the SEC East? No team from the division will be in the CFB playoff. Florida eliminated itself by failing to show up to its own homecoming game.

I do not care if Muschamp won the game. He needs to find another job in December.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Who cares about the SEC East? No team from the division will be in the CFB playoff. Florida eliminated itself by failing to show up to its own homecoming game.

I do not care if Muschamp won the game. He needs to find another job in December.
Yup--whatever else any of us might have been thinking BEFORE that Missouri game, by the 2nd half of that one the dye really was cast: Will Muschamp was GONE, had to be. Nothing that happenened in Jacksonville today DESERVED to change that--and frankly, despite our "big win", overall this was nowhere CLOSE to any kind of vindication...I don't even see it as "illusion", since at various times many if not most of this team's coaching-produced ills were on display--just fewer actual untimely turnovers, that's ALL, saved us from some sort of "new OLD way" of blowing it.
Btw, bad as our overall plight, we at least are WAY past the "sudden dagger to the heart" phase, on the one hand--and anyway most of us have long since recognized and accepted the long-range "cure" (if still unsure of the prognosis until it finally comes to pass). Not shocked into sudden-bummer-reality like the folks at Ol' Miss tonight, along with the whole team, program, its future and very psyche: On what-SHOULD-have-been/WAS-until-"it"-happened "almost winning-play", their star player fumbles the ball AND breaks his leg on his way into the endzone JUST before crossing the goal line. They lose the ball, the game, AND their key player all at the end of the game, on that otherwise "story-book-hero" play. Unless this turns out to be one of those "kid comes off the bench to take them to new heights" tales, that whole program and its fans tonight will feel like its not just their "now" but their "tomorrows" that have been stolen, stripped away with sudden, capricious fatefulness. No one even to "BLAME".
On the other hand, assuming they don't collectively lose all hope and focus, despite what happened they've still got the tools, the talent, prospects AND the coaching to recover and right the ship...we've got talent, and little else at the moment.
Finally, I THINK I've finally identified one of the main things missing, the key thing this Head Coach and his various staffs have missed from Day One in Gainesville: WE have that "talent--in fact, reliance on getting potential STARS that can dominate at their positions has been a priority for this regime--but they've absolutely failed to recognize and therefore develop the other part of that equation, equally important to real success here: The true "other key factor" in bringing balance and consistent success, the growth of "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" intra-team coming together into discrete and total units--linemen (some great, some just "good at what they are asked to do") become parts of "great lines", linebackers and safeties become "great secondaries", both become parts of "great DEFENSES", and so on, throughout offense, defense, special team units, coaching staffs, recruiting efforts...and they ALL grow together to be parts of great TEAMS in great programs. Seems simple, straight forward, even an obvious cliche--but how often does it happen? How GREAT can you be when it does? Yeah, you've got to have talent and depth, but without the rest how good are you going to actually be, how successful? We're seeing the answer here now. Not very--and you can forget consistent ANYTHING except disappointment.
For all his faults and cynical compromises, for most of his time here Meyer got stars in AND understood what he had to do with them--and whether thru' luck or design, he got some of the RIGHT guys, ones who were uniquely capable and driven, each in their own way, to manage just that sort of "coming together" with their team mates FOR him. Muschamp and co. have ignored, even crushed that spirit and natural will OUT of his charges in a wrong-headed effort at control and "discipline" in the service of some image of "success' and "efficiency", one he/they envisioned and seeked to impose from "on high". This manifested as the very tightness that pervaded, continues to pervade the whole team. On its worst days we all see it in the "stumble/bumble/fumble" ineptitude that has marked so much of this team's play more and more often these past few seasons. I wouldn't even be at all surprised if it were somehow someday shown to play a part in our very propensity for serious injury as well.

Escambia94

Well, @DRU2012 , there is a possibility that Muschamp returns if Foley and to some degree, the boosters, think that beating USCe and Vanderbilt in addition to a recruiting surge is enough.

The problem is that we have a built in scapegoat. Driskel was "hurt", so we " started " Harris and won. I see that we still have issues, because Harris passed for 27 whole yards going 2/4. If the plan is to line up in the power I and run the ball, it does not matter who the quarterback is--there are problems.

Do you really think Demarcus Robinson is happy enough now to stay out of whatever trouble he has been getting into? Do you really think Harris is hanging with the right crowd of people to avoid bad situations? Do you really think the injury prone offensive line can keep this power I approach going and keep Harris' jersey clean once he decides to drop back and pass?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, @DRU2012 , there is a possibility that Muschamp returns if Foley and to some degree, the boosters, think that beating USCe and Vanderbilt in addition to a recruiting surge is enough.

The problem is that we have a built in scapegoat. Driskel was "hurt", so we " started " Harris and won. I see that we still have issues, because Harris passed for 27 whole yards going 2/4. If the plan is to line up in the power I and run the ball, it does not matter who the quarterback is--there are problems.

Do you really think Demarcus Robinson is happy enough now to stay out of whatever trouble he has been getting into? Do you really think Harris is hanging with the right crowd of people to avoid bad situations? Do you really think the injury prone offensive line can keep this power I approach going and keep Harris' jersey clean once he decides to drop back and pass?
Unfortunately, you are right on both main points here:
There IS a chance that the interplay of forces and rationales makes for some backwards-reasoned decision-process where Muschamp ends up being retained for another season.
And the many things wrong, especially all the reasons concerned with failures in that "whole greater than the some of its parts"-goal that your intimation of trouble with various specific individuals' lives and behavior implies DOES and will continue to be a likely problem and possible downfall--for the young men AND the team they are therefore not effectively a part of as a result.
All important parts of the point I was making above--AND my over-arching fear that Muschamp STILL at least "could" be back, even now. Seems stupid, blind, and self-destructive, but we all see plenty of that every day, and not just with respect to the Gator football squad and program. (It's ALSO, btw, the reason I continue to lean towards holding Foley himself somewhat responsible, remind everyone that he IS "responsible", in the "point position" as he is--at least "hold his feet to the fire", in order thru' public awareness and potential reaction to limiting the degree he feels free to act simply however HE thinks/feels is right--if only in denting his self-perceived "cover" and protection to do so...OK, won't belabor or return to such an evident flash point "just for the sake of argument"--but there it is, still true and out there, as I see it.)

Escambia94

I would not be quick to point out that Muschamp could return if it were not for the shortage of available coaches. I will keep reminding all three of the active posters here.

In 2001, Steve Spurrier left without giving his boss, Jeremy Foley, a lot of warning. Foley messed up during his scramble to find a replacement by contacting a bunch of NFL and college coaches that were preparing teams for playoffs and bowl games. That drew negative attention. Foley settled on Zook.

In 2004, Ron Zook had to be fired not because the Gators were losing, but because the coach had lost control of the locker room and the players were getting into fights at fraternity houses. Foley learned his lesson from a few years earlier and had a search committee send out feelers to viable candidates indirectly first, then directly when the timing was right. Urban Meyer was one of about a half dozen hot shot coaches that all had flexible contract situations, and Florida won a bidding war against Notre Dame and others for his services.

In 2010, Meyer left despite a hearty, $4M/year contract through 2015 at a time when there were only a couple hotshot coaches available. Muschamp was the hottest head coach in waiting.

In 2014, Muschamp should be fired for not seizing the SEC East in its weakest possible state, but could be retained because he is the best of what is available.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema