• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Head Coach Candidates

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
  • Chip Kelly (Philadelphia Eagles)
    • Current salary: $6.5M through 2018.
    • Cost for Florida: unknown buyout and at least $6.5M per year.
  • Charlie Strong (HC Texas, various positions at Florida 1985-2009)
    • Current salary: $5M per year until 2019, plus $5M buyout to Louisville in 2014, with $100k escalation of base contract each year.
    • Cost for Florida: UF would need to buyout all the coaches that remain with Texas, up to $3.5M and pay him at least $5M per year (and another $3.5M for the coaching staff). This is plausible.
  • Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)
    • Current salary: $4M through 2018
    • Cost for Florida: n/a
    • Key assistants: DC Lorenzo Ward, Co-OC Steve Spurrier Jr, Co-OC G.A. Mangus
    • Notes: Spurrier has stated that he is not interested in going back to Gainesville as head coach this close to retirement age.
  • Dan Mullen (Mississippi State, OC Florida 2005-2008)
    • Current salary: $2.9M for 4 years (through 2018) plus incentives from the boosters that push him to $3M.
    • Cost for Florida: No buyout other than one-time $3M to the MSU athletic association to offset booster donations. $3.5M - $5M.
    • Key assistants: Co-OC Billy Gonzales (UF WR coach 2005-2008), AHC/ Co-OC John Hevesy (UF TE coach 2005-2008)
  • Rich Rodriguez (HC Arizona)
    • Current salary: $1.5M per year until 2018
    • Cost for Florida: Buyout of only $500k and a salary anywhere between $2M - $4M.
  • Doc Holliday (UF AHC, Co-DC, S 2005-2010, HC Marshall)
    • Current salary: $600k with up to $425k in incentives through 2016.
    • Cost for Florida: $2M buyout, $2M - $4M.
    • Key assistants: Chuck Heater (former UF assistant), Bill Legg
    • Bonus points: coached All American Reggie Nelson
  • Mark Stoops (HC Kentucky)
    • Current salary: $3.6M through 2019.
    • Cost for Florida: No buyout, over $4M per year salary.
  • Jim McElwain (HC Colorado State)
    • Current salary: $1.5M through 2018
    • Cost for Florida: $7.5M buyout plus $3M - $4M per year
    • Notes: 20–15 (12–9), but as Alabama OC he was responsible for taking out Florida as the dominant SEC program. He can also recruit the state of Florida. He recruited Clinton Ha-ha Dix out of Orlando Dr. Philips (a potential Gator hotbed of talent). He recruited Dee Philips of Orlando Dr. Philips at Bama and has him now at Colorado State. He seemed to have an impact in recruiting Trent Richardson out of Pensacola, Florida as well (Richardson went to my high school, the same one as Emmitt Smith).
    • Named the 24th head coach at the University of Florida on December 4, 2014 (five days after the release of Muschamp). Florida will pay $7M buyout, $3M+ salary, and play CSU in Gainesville before 2019 with another $2M payout. Coach Mac agreed to buy down a portion of his buyout (approximately $2M) over the next few years.
  • Mike Gundy (OC Oklahoma State)
    • Current salary: $3.75M through 2019
    • Cost for Florida: remainder of $4.8M retirement fund, $3M buyout. $4M to $5M.
    • Notes: Unlikely hire due to him being alumni of current job, inherent job security with the built-in retirement plan, and lack of familiarity with SEC recruiting.
  • Mike Shanahan (Florida OC 1980-1983, former Washington Redskins HC)
    • Current salary: $7M buyout until December 2014
    • Cost for Florida: $6M +
    • Notes: Might be an interesting CEO head coach if he can bring Kyle Shanahan with him as OC and head coach in waiting.
  • Mac Trestman (Chicago Bears)
    • Current salary: $4.25M
    • Cost for Florida: $5M.
  • Mark Hudspeth (HC University of Louisiana Lafayette)
    • Current salary : $1.075M through 2020
    • Cost for Florida: $6M buyout, $2M
  • Kerwin Bell (Florida QB 1983-1987, Jacksonville University)
    • Current Salary : unknown
    • Cost for Florida: $2M
    • Notes: Jacksonville's football program has been removed from playoff contention due to financial issues and could possibly be investigated for fraud. Bell is off the list for now.
  • Josh McDaniel (OC New England Patriots, HC Denver Broncos)
  • Greg Schiano (HC Tampa Bay Buccaneers, HC Rutgers)
  • Jim Schwartz (DC Buffalo Bills, HC Detroit Lions)

Last edited:

FrozenGator

Gator Fan
I'll address it here and now: if nominated, I will not interview; if selected, I will not serve. (with apologies to William Sherman)

Because I know you were all wondering...

Escambia94

The word on the street is that Foley is looking for a coach with NFL experience. This could help differentiate Florida from other programs. New potential hires:
  • Josh McDaniel (OC New England Patriots, HC Denver Broncos)
  • Greg Schiano (HC Tampa Bay Buccaneers, HC Rutgers)
  • Jim Schwartz (DC Buffalo Bills, HC Detroit Lions)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Leaning toward McDaniel though he might just as bad as Lane Kiffin if not worst. Also a strong H--L NO on Schiano.

Escambia94

Leaning toward McDaniel though he might just as bad as Lane Kiffin if not worst. Also a strong H--L NO on Schiano.

I would not worry about getting Schiano, since he is primarily a defensive guy and Foley hinted that we would be getting an offensive guy.

The jury is still out on McDaniels.

Lane Kiffin is learning how to be a decent offensive coordinator, but he may have a ways to go on being a good head coach.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Side note: @Escambia94, Is the reason you deleted all those post-entries above because of Muschamp being officially "soon to be gone?" as of that date? If not, then why? Was it all "angry bitching about Muschamp"? If so, well, I don't really get why that should mean deleting stuff perhaps rendered moot in its aftermath--there still may be lots there that stirs discussion, or at least fills out details of members' views and general personality traits as well. Not that big a deal, I guess--but from my POV not a good or healthy habit to get into, for the sake of the site. Even if particularly offensive to you--and I'd be VERY interested in how that was the case, having no recollection of any extended-discussion that would fit that scenario--better it seems to address that, make your feelings clear and explain why, than to just arbitrarily delete it all. And if it WAS just "now irrelevant", so what? Just interested, mostly, E-, but a little concerned, too: The only time you have done anything like it before was some weeks back when you deleted one regular-member's post, a single one--and on that occasion, while I noticed and was a bit concerned, I was inclined to just let it go, give you the benefit of the doubt. I assumed at the time that you felt some line-of-taste or civility had been crossed, and though myself, I may not necessarily have just cut it without comment or explanation, figured you had good reason. I trust your judgment. But with THIS "major bite" from the record, I really do wonder, "What GIVES?")

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Btw: As most of you probably know already but has become very public today (all over the nets, even a YAHOO Sports featured-headline and column), Mike Gundy at OSU is the one guy so far who is overtly "going after the Florida job" . Says (among other things) it's the one job that would get him to move from his "otherwise very satisfying" Cowboys Head Coaching position.
(My "first take": Suppose we could do worse; still feel we can do better. Needs a closer look, consideration--and some time to see all the other factors and alternatives. "Early" yet--but things will move faster once we get to December, necessarily so.)

Escambia94

(Side note: @Escambia94, Is the reason you deleted all those post-entries above because of Muschamp being officially "soon to be gone?" as of that date? If not, then why? Was it all "angry bitching about Muschamp"? If so, well, I don't really get why that should mean deleting stuff perhaps rendered moot in its aftermath--there still may be lots there that stirs discussion, or at least fills out details of members' views and general personality traits as well. Not that big a deal, I guess--but from my POV not a good or healthy habit to get into, for the sake of the site. Even if particularly offensive to you--and I'd be VERY interested in how that was the case, having no recollection of any extended-discussion that would fit that scenario--better it seems to address that, make your feelings clear and explain why, than to just arbitrarily delete it all. And if it WAS just "now irrelevant", so what? Just interested, mostly, E-, but a little concerned, too: The only time you have done anything like it before was some weeks back when you deleted one regular-member's post, a single one--and on that occasion, while I noticed and was a bit concerned, I was inclined to just let it go, give you the benefit of the doubt. I assumed at the time that you felt some line-of-taste or civility had been crossed, and though I may not necessarily have just cut it without comment or explanation, figured you had good reason. I trust your judgment. But with THIS "major bite" from the record, I really do wonder, "What GIVES?")
The deleted comments were all rolled up into the first post, so there would be one page to look at all the head coaching candidates. This is not Alligator Army where we can post everything on one page.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Escambia94, OOOOHHH...now I get it. Guess I shoulda gone looking for something like that before even mentioning it--you have a better overall "global grasp" of the various options open to us (you and I) and how to access and use them, than I do...I USED to be the kind of guy who "read the manual", worked through a program that was new to me right from the start and was thus fairly well-versed in it early on. Not anymore--not since I was around kids and watched how THEY just plunged on in and "picked up" on everything eventually as-needed and through organic immersion. Easier, quicker up-to-speed, more fun AND practical in everyday terms. I tend to be hyper-rational (big surprise), but I trust "the intuitive" more, consider it "the best part of me".
Anyway then, "Never mind". (Glad I did mention it though, if only to get it right and reinforce my inclination to assume your thorough and responsible attention to detail.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gonna actually give a "first-glance thumbs-up" to at least the possibility of going after Josh Mcdaniels, for one...Don't like the Patriots much, not a Belicek fan at all (tho' I can't argue his smarts), but I am a McDaniels fan...He was the only Coach to give TT a proper chance in the pros, and used him well--by mainly turning him loose: the fact that he did that and did it right, kept his word and believed in Tim puts him "on the short list in the 'good' column" in my book. Went against Elway in doing so and paid a price for it, too. He's a pretty sharp offensive mind who would need to bring a strong counterpart in as DC, one just as intelligent and flexible in running the defense as he is on the offensive side of things. Not so sure what to make of the fact that he has now worked for the General Manager (Under Elway, at Denver) and Head Coach (under Belicek, at New England) I least like in those roles in the NFL--any more than I know what to make of the fact that both of THOSE are known for leading teams that have been mainly notable for getting CLOSE on a consistent basis, but not quite getting it done at the end.

Escambia94

I am not going to bother ranking these choices or stating a preference. I just want change. There has been a rain cloud over Florida since 2009 or so, with last year being the worst. I just want change.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not going to bother ranking these choices or stating a preference. I just want change. There has been a rain cloud over Florida since 2009 or so, with last year being the worst. I just want change.
Know what you're saying, agree entirely, Really true about that "cloud" since '09 (week leading up to the SEC-Championship the at least public turning point)--and personally, I'm not anywhere NEAR frame of mind to be endorsing ANYONE--but I will give a general "Would consider that guy", "Don't want him", or "NO FRIGIN' WAY!", as the early discussion warrants in my view.
Oh, and as for the worst, last year's record and that Georgia Southern loss seem the obvious "low points", but frankly, both overall and in the WAY we've lost a few of this season's games, have been just awful for me--maybe the hardest in my Gator life.

Escambia94

Interesting note: both of the coaches (Hugh Freeze and Jim McIlwain) that are rumored to have offers from Jeremy Foley use the same agent-- Jimmy Sexton.

My guess is that he will only talk through agents until the end of the season.

Escambia94

Right now, every name is in play. We are Florida, and can afford to pay just about anyone we want within reason. (Note that just because we can afford someone like Nick Saban it does not mean it is realistic given his situation. Please add your own dose of common sense with the coaching rumors.)

Based on Foley's criteria, only Kiffin is off the list and is probably in there as a distractor.

Freeze got extended so his name can come off the list.

I think Doc Holiday is sounding more and more like a good fit; but that is just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema