• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gameday Week 13: Senior Day Sunshine State Showdown

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Both lines banged up, badly degraded--O-line couldn't afford it to start with, effectively 2nd string D-line (and reshuffled with remaining back-ups in less-than-ideal slots, to boot)...given everything, gotta figure we're about to confirm the college football world's general (read, "LOW") opinion of us. Sigh. A shame. ONLY "hope" this week would be to come up with a wild offensive gameplan, fling it around the field, actually outSCORE someone. Remember when we once could DO something like that? Not this time. Treon Harris. Yikes. And ZERO alternative to him. We'll hold our own, keep it close at least into the 2nd half--rest of D's too good, Coach Mac and Nussy too inventive NOT to at least make a game of it, for awhile. But this is it: Bubble bout to burst.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'm admit it doesn't look good for the Gators. One hand, the Noles aren't the strongest themselves but if Cook is healthy and the Gator D-line isn't watch out. Probably going to as bad as the 2011 game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(OK, here goes my "just about over now, one last roll-of-the-dice", here-comes-NEXT-season analysis/epitaph to 2015. Just so I've warned y'all:
WON'T likely happen, but what I'd LIKE to see is for Mac and Nuss to throw something wild at 'em.
Be the anti-Muschamp: Some sort of "beyond Wildcat" offense, Treon+ANY/ALL-available-ATHLETE in backfield on any given offensive play, run/throw/fake/handoff/lateral/flee-flik among options, or apparent ones, on every play. With D so depleted, BOTH lines in disarray, ONLY chance is for us to out-SCORE our next 2 opponents...THAT won't happen without a drastic change (tactical and strategic) in the use of our available personnel.
This game, in this way, then becomes also a dry-run "proving ground" for what would amount to our Doomsday/End-of-Line/End-of-Season "desperation offense", further refined in the SEC Championship Game against an even stronger opponent--and would give Saban and Co. a lot more to consider and prepare for too.
If we get a little healthier on the D-line as days and weeks go by, well, it all might help give us a chance--at least to ultimately make a game of it against the Tide. As things stand, we might even beat Girl's School on guts and defense alone, but without drasyic change we look right now to be headed ultimately for annilation against Alabama no matter what happens tomorrow.
So lets see about going out and WINNING this one outright, and in so doing maybe setting ourselves to follow it up strongly in that "next one": Throw Jimbo and his squad a real curve (not to mention the "smart money", Alabama strategists and the whole college football world) and BLOW EM UP with a new, aggressive offense.
Treon DOES have strengths, real athletic skills, even if (for whatever reasons) he doesn't seem to learn or grow with experience. Need to use what he and ALL the guys around him DO have, use it all in some new and inventive ways. I think he, and they, can do that much, at least for a game or two.
Now, I'm NOT so hopeful or enthusiatic about all this in the long run, even going into next season. With no QB "new guy" in sight so far, we look to be "out of the picture" as far as anything but a "late run at respectability" NEXT season by the time Grier gets back. Would LIKE to think Mac and Co. not only see that (certain they do) and can pull something hopeful OUT of that mess, but we can't in any way count on being in the kind of position we are STILL in this season even now: In spite of everything--without reliable QB, kicker, O- or D-lines, for crying out loud!--no matter what EVERYONE at large and in the media thinks and or says, no matter what every one of even US knows is "likely", it hasn't actually HAPPENED yet, Sooooo...
Can we change a future we appear to be careening inevitably towards? Only with a bold move, a wild bet on, well, not just one throw of the dice, but a "let it ride!" STRING of such throws.
I say, "Why NOT?!!" It'll probably be at LEAST TWO seasons, two YEARS from now before we're in a position anything like this one again, able to WIN our way to a place in the Football Final Four by our own hand. However "technical" that supposed "control over our own destiny" may now seem, seems we should give ourselves a shot at it. If that requires a "LONG SHOT", well so be it. In a weird way, it kind of frees us, allows us the room to take the kind of chance that "little to lose, everything to gain" sometimes produces history.
Of course, I don't expect anything but the slow-death, hopeless stuff I cover above to be what actually happens. But I will cheer rabidly, happily go down in flames and love our Head Coach for ever more if he were to say to hell with the odds, with how "things are supposed to be done", just go for it, let it FLY. Make it fun again, for his guys, and all of us.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida leads the all-time series, 34–23–2. Florida State is currently holding a 21–18–1 advantage over the past forty games, including a 4-1 span over Florida since Timmy Tebow left town.

FSU is favored by 2 at the Swamp, where Florida has failed to win since 2009. Both teams are ranked (No. 14 Florida State (9-2, No. 13 CFP) vs No. 10 Florida (10-1, No. 12 CFP)), but FSU's season is pretty much over with only this game to play for. FSU has no shot at the All Cupcake Conference (ACC) crown, and with a very Georgia-Southern-esque loss to Georgia Tech, FSU is lucky to get a bowl game.

Key matchup:
  • FSU RB Dalvin Cook vs Florida's #6 defense. The school's single-season rushing leader, Cook has 1,475 yards on the ground and is averaging 147.5 yards a game. LSU's Leonard Fournette gashed the Gators on the ground for 180 yards, so they see this as a chance at redemption.

Today is also Senior Day, so we say goodbye to the following Seniors, who were the #3 ranked class of 2012:
  1. WR - Latroy Pittman
  2. OLB - Jeremi Powell
  3. CB - Brian Poole
  4. K - Austin Hardin
  5. FS - Marcus Maye
  6. ILB - Antonio Morrison
  7. SDE - Jonathan Bullard
  8. SDE - Bryan Cox Jr.
  9. WDE - Alex McCalister
  10. WR - Raphael Andrades
  • Walk-On Seniors:
  1. TE Bair Diamond
  2. WR Roger Dixon
  3. LB LeAndre Rembert
  4. PK Dallas Stubbs
  5. WR Evan Schroeder
  6. DL Dakota Wilson
  • Redshirt Seniors:
  1. OL Trip Thurman
  2. RB Valdez Showers
  • Transfer Seniors
  1. TE Jake McGee
  2. OL Mason Halter
  3. LB Anthony Harrell
  • Class of 2012 players who entered the NFL Draft early: Matt Jones, DJ Humphries, Damien Jacobs, Dante Fowler Jr.
  • Class of 2012 players who transferred: Omari Phillips, Jessamen Dunker, Jafar Mann, Quinteze Williams, Willie Bailey, Colin Thompson, Rhaheim Ledbetter, Kent Taylor, Skyler Mornhinweg

Last edited:

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also Vernon Hargreaves III is leaving as well. I don't see him staying one more year when he projected as a top ten pick in the upcoming draft.

Escambia94

Also Vernon Hargreaves III is leaving as well. I don't see him staying one more year when he projected as a top ten pick in the upcoming draft.

True, but as a member of the class of 2013, he does not count as a senior. The key NFL draftees in 2016 should be (projected 1st rounders in bold, projected high value picks in italics):
  • Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Junior, 5-11, 198, 4.48
  • Jonathan Bullard, DE, Senior, 6-3, 277, 4.86
  • Antonio Morrison, ILB, Senior, 6-1, 225, 4.76
  • Demarcus Robinson, WR, Junior, 6-1, 197, 4.54
  • Jake McGee, TE, Redshirt Senior, 6-5, 243, 4.83
  • Trip Thurman, OG, Redshirt Senior, 6-5, 310, 5.38
  • Bryan Cox, Jr, DE, Redshirt Junior, 6-3, 261, 4.79
  • Brian Poole, CB, Senior, 5-10, 208, 4.54

Escambia94

Another familiar name from the past in today's headlines: Paxton Lynch. Lynch was the primary QB target in 2012, but we grabbed Skyler Mornhinweg instead. Lynch has 5 TD passes in one half today for Memphis.

Escambia94

fsu-sucks.jpg

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Also could it be Jimbo's last game at FSU. I'm kind of hoping though it might not matter that much especially in recruiting unless if a Florida kid wants to stay in state.

Escambia94

I have a feeling that this game will play out similar to last year's game, so here are the box scores and stats from last year.

• Florida Passing
  • C/ATT YDS TD INT QBR
  • Treon Harris 13/32 169 1 2 15.6
  • TEAM 13/32 169 1 2 --
  • Florida State Passing
  • C/ATT YDS TD INT QBR
  • Jameis Winston 12/24 125 2 4 6.8
  • TEAM 12/24 125 2 4 --
Treon actually outgunned the Heisman winner last year, even with a QBR of 15.6!

The run game is what did Florida in. FSU turned the ball over 4 times in the air, but the running game chewed up enough clock to grind out a win as former Florida recruit Dalvin Cook ran for a career best 144 yards.

Escambia94

In other news, Muschamp just earned a 15-yard penalty for his sideline antics in the Alabama - Auburn game. If he does not control his temper, he could get ejected.

Escambia94

In even more other news, Paxton Lynch just tied an NCAA record with 7 touchdowns in a half. Lynch decommitted from Florida in 2012, and we got Skyler Morhinweg instead. We got hosed by bad recruiters on offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
If we can just get some offense going.
MUST score TDs at every opportunity. We've seen what "great plays to get it to the red zone" gets us. Zero pts. (Bout to do nothing with this small FSU breakdown, for eg, thanx to Treon. He is now hesitant, lost back there. This is hopeless:we're not gonna score with him running things. It's the D, return team, one of our actual PLAY makers touching the ball--or NOTHING AT ALL. I won't watch much longer.

Escambia94

This is going to be an ugly game, but Treon still needs to complete a pass if the Gators want to win ugly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema