• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Push Comes To Shove

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK. E-94 noted several of the key points regarding where things are really at with our Gators after the UK game in his latest post on "Gator Gameday"-thread for last Saturday's game. There are a handful of others that occur to me, but these are probably the key ones, and anyway I've made MY "points" repeatedly: This is mainly an opportunity for the rest of you to assess where we are, what we know, and what that means going into Tuscaloosa.
I will say this: There are so many reasons to dread this match-up, now more than ever, it is difficult to recall exactly how I felt about this game BEFORE the Kentucky game. Best I can remember, I was worried, sure--but also thought we had a chance, believed we could stay with them, and would give them a real test--and if we were coming along the way I'd hoped by now, honestly thought we had at least a chance at stunning everyone, shutting up that crowd and maybe even GETTING OUT OF THERE WITH THE WIN.
Not so now...and yet, strangely, in spite of myself, there is of course this small part of me that wants to believe we still haven't SEEN everything this team can be, that this is earlier in our season than for anyone else, and even down some players we absolutely were gonna need to get it done, well, this isn't exactly a "monolithic" Alabama squad either, THEY'LL be down a guy or two as well (at least for the first half), and if we can actually DO something with that... "Hey, maybe WE can pull a UK on UA!"
I'm specifically referring to what Roper, via Jeff Driskell and our WRs, can do against a defense that'll be down BOTH first string DBs at least a half. That's the Alabama weakness, on defense so far, even at full strength. We get a lead, that gives our D some leverage as the game goes on.
Alright, there's my "confession of near-groundless optimism". We DON'T go after Alabama deep, fold in from the start and try to play that "don't lose"-game, rope-a-dope-to-stay-close, well, then we lose, late, "look respectable", and F*CK MUSCHAMP ANYWAY if that's the best he figures we are or ever will be--that's MY bottom line here.
Now I hand it to y'all. My real point here, embodied in the title, is that not only do most of us tell ourselves we expect little but pain and disappointment this Saturday, truth is that every one of us also harbors SOME small spark of hope inside, at the very least that we will not be overwhelmed, will somehow hold our own throughout. And way down deep inside, every one of us also has that tiny crumb of defiant possibility: Maybe even...???
It is time for Muschamp's team to SURPRISE us, one and all. I don't have any "minimum threshold" or general idea of "how close they have to play 'em", or even "how bad they can't look" for it to be time to start facing what's to be done, and who we start thinking about looking at to DO it. But the hard evidence displayed out there that we just aren't there, aren't even close--well, I just don't have enough "realistic patience and understanding" left in me to settle for "midpack, improved but not there yet, maybe next year". Before we've even hit October? I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to feel cheated at the very thought. So lay it on us, guys. Tell us what you will and/or won't "take" out there come Saturday. What can we do, what SHOULD we TRY to do, the things you think we should see, things we'll likely see?
Let's at least hammer out what our real expectations are at this point, what achieving or not those expectations mean. I don't think any of us believe in "moral victories", but is there a "kind of loss" that gives us hope for where this team is, where it's headed?
I'm not sure myself--I just know I really HATE going into ANY game figuring "we have practically no chance against THIS team". That's very close to a final inditement of this Coach in and of itself, far as I'm concerned--and I didn't expect to be at that point now. Coming into this season, I was worried about this one, but I thought we had a chance, I honestly did. Now I almost hate that there's a part of me that STILL "hasn't gotten the word", hasn't faced "facts". Agree or disagree?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
PS I'm gonna get right out in front of one aspect of all of this, the "Where do we go next if the worst-comes-to-pass"-scenario that's one part of what I pose above: SS ain't coming back. Not now, no how--not ever, in my view. MAYBE A.D. one day, as a sort of triumphant, high profile "retirement", but not as our Head Coach. Do I really have to go into all the reasons why?

miltongator

Gator Fan
OK. E-94 noted several of the key points regarding where things are really at with our Gators after the UK game in his latest post on "Gator Gameday"-thread for last Saturday's game. There are a handful of others that occur to me, but these are probably the key ones, and anyway I've made MY "points" repeatedly: This is mainly an opportunity for the rest of you to assess where we are, what we know, and what that means going into Tuscaloosa.
I will say this: There are so many reasons to dread this match-up, now more than ever, it is difficult to recall exactly how I felt about this game BEFORE the Kentucky game. Best I can remember, I was worried, sure--but also thought we had a chance, believed we could stay with them, and would give them a real test--and if we were coming along the way I'd hoped by now, honestly thought we had at least a chance at stunning everyone, shutting up that crowd and maybe even GETTING OUT OF THERE WITH THE WIN.
Not so now...and yet, strangely, in spite of myself, there is of course this small part of me that wants to believe we still haven't SEEN everything this team can be, that this is earlier in our season than for anyone else, and even down some players we absolutely were gonna need to get it done, well, this isn't exactly a "monolithic" Alabama squad either, THEY'LL be down a guy or two as well (at least for the first half), and if we can actually DO something with that... "Hey, maybe WE can pull a UK on UA!"
I'm specifically referring to what Roper, via Jeff Driskell and our WRs, can do against a defense that'll be down BOTH first string DBs at least a half. That's the Alabama weakness, on defense so far, even at full strength. We get a lead, that gives our D some leverage as the game goes on.
Alright, there's my "confession of near-groundless optimism". We DON'T go after Alabama deep, fold in from the start and try to play that "don't lose"-game, rope-a-dope-to-stay-close, well, then we lose, late, "look respectable", and F*CK MUSCHAMP ANYWAY if that's the best he figures we are or ever will be--that's MY bottom line here.
Now I hand it to y'all. My real point here, embodied in the title, is that not only do most of us tell ourselves we expect little but pain and disappointment this Saturday, truth is that every one of us also harbors SOME small spark of hope inside, at the very least that we will not be overwhelmed, will somehow hold our own throughout. And way down deep inside, every one of us also has that tiny crumb of defiant possibility: Maybe even...???
It is time for Muschamp's team to SURPRISE us, one and all. I don't have any "minimum threshold" or general idea of "how close they have to play 'em", or even "how bad they can't look" for it to be time to start facing what's to be done, and who we start thinking about looking at to DO it. But the hard evidence displayed out there that we just aren't there, aren't even close--well, I just don't have enough "realistic patience and understanding" left in me to settle for "midpack, improved but not there yet, maybe next year". Before we've even hit October? I don't know about you, but I'm beginning to feel cheated at the very thought. So lay it on us, guys. Tell us what you will and/or won't "take" out there come Saturday. What can we do, what SHOULD we TRY to do, the things you think we should see, things we'll likely see?
Let's at least hammer out what our real expectations are at this point, what achieving or not those expectations mean. I don't think any of us believe in "moral victories", but is there a "kind of loss" that gives us hope for where this team is, where it's headed?
I'm not sure myself--I just know I really HATE going into ANY game figuring "we have practically no chance against THIS team". That's very close to a final inditement of this Coach in and of itself, far as I'm concerned--and I didn't expect to be at that point now. Coming into this season, I was worried about this one, but I thought we had a chance, I honestly did. Now I almost hate that there's a part of me that STILL "hasn't gotten the word", hasn't faced "facts". Agree or disagree?

Agree!!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think it's 50-50 because Bama isn't that strong either plus they can't decide between Sims and Coker. I hope that the Gators defense can score points.

miltongator

Gator Fan
"If Jeff Driskel actually has a big game and if Florida can actually stop Alabama’s run game to an extent, Florida could win. Forcing the Bama QB to make plays will be the key in this one. Simply put, Florida has the talent to win. Might as well make it an upset Saturday."
Sounds good to me.
Either this or a few more nails in the coffin for Mushie.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(I'm glad we seem pretty uniform here so far in our agreement that "they have to at least show me something, keep it close" ISN'T what we're looking for. That's a Kentucky or (up til this season) Vandy attitude--and the true destiny for programs that have those kind of expectations is exemplified in Vandy's "return to mediocrity" after barely reaching their highwater "dangerous" mark last coupla seasons with the "right" coach. We have to hope that UK is just now at least brushing against theirs. That "right coach" takes Florida to the top, by the way. I liked, no LOVED being hated and feared. We aim for nothing less. Screw "dangerous", "talented", and "can hold their heads high"!)

awebbf5

VIP Member
I have a feeling with our luck they come out with Coker and he looks like all that he has been hyped up to be and we get lit up.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a feeling with our luck they come out with Coker and he looks like all that he has been hyped up to be and we get lit up.
I'm so glad Saban is showing his conservative/play-it-safe, "we've got 'em beat head-to-head" vulnerability: It gives us our one chance--IF we actually have an OC with an answer, the horses who are rounding into form, AND is actually free to turn it and them (the scheme and the players, especially at QB), loose. "Glad" as much because there'll be no place for excuses after this week, as I am at our chances for not needing them. It'll be clear enough soon, either way. That's what I mean about this being a game where "push comes to shove". Driskel has to be the one who breaks loose and shows what he's got; of course, you're right, forcing them to switch to their "unknown quantity" at QB who goes out and kills us DOES sound like our "new normal", but we gotta hope forcing that change would be a "win" for us. Muschamp's defense has to be everything he is vaunted for, of course, but it will be an aggressive, loosen-up-the-secondary offense clicking on all cylinders that will win this game. They MUST (in his words on "SEC NOW" after last week's game, bemoaning the 1st qrtr misses and drops that put us into a "close one" in the first place, according Muschamp) "create separation" on the scoreboard that can allow our defense to force the issue as the game wears on. If we are to win this one, that I think is the way it plays out. Trying to play it close in a ground-pounding slugfest might "keep it respectable" for most of the game, but again, THAT ISN'T THE IDEA. I'm so sick of that (I guess y'all know that by now--sorry), and I don't care anymore what the rationale is. Driskel not good enough? All Muschamp does is brag glowingly on him. Not enough strength or depth at key positions? After 4 years, whose fault is that? Um, I could go on. F*ck it. This is your team, everyone is down players already here and there, ARE WE READY TO STEP UP, OR ARE WE NOT?

Leakfan12

VIP Member

For starters, Blake Sims has been starter this season so far, I doubt Satan and Boy Blunder will change that. Neither QB has faced a defense like the Gators. Their D isn't invincible (WVU proved that though they missed their marks). Just hope the Gators O it hit their marks (I know Texas A&M and possibly Auburn will). Bottom line is I doubt Bama will play in the playoffs and speaking of team that won't make it to the playoffs, infamous Jameis won't play this week. Hey it's possible, the Gators beat the third ranked Bama in 1963.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
For starters, Blake Sims has been starter this season so far, I doubt Satan and Boy Blunder will change that. Neither QB has faced a defense like the Gators. Their D isn't invincible (WVU proved that though they missed their marks). Just hope the Gators O it hit their marks (I know Texas A&M and possibly Auburn will). Bottom line is I doubt Bama will play in the playoffs and speaking of team that won't make it to the playoffs, infamous Jameis won't play this week. Hey it's possible, the Gators beat the third ranked Bama in 1963.
I wanna believe, man--we all do. Problem at this point is that that's what it takes, a kind of "maybe we can shock everyone"-attitude seems all we've got at this point. And finding ourselves back at the "pre-awakening" level (again, where Bear Bryant famously described us as "the sleeping giant") is exactly what I am afraid of. I know you get this, Lf, and I agree with your assessment of this edition of the Tide--they are eminently beatable, if still strong.
Personally, then, I am glad that things come to a head so quickly this season--though I was counting on THREE games ramping up to it, and was hoping we'd be luckier than last year injury-wise. Fewer losses so far, but two of them at least are key. Still. No excuses. We've got most of our team, they've got most of theirs: Best team, with best plan, coaching and execution wins--and in a close one, at their place, coaching makes or breaks us. Never mind how any of us feels about that going in, I think it's fair to judge our staff and where we're at NOW on the results.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema