• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Pregame, Week 10: Hosting Vandy

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Either myself or Escambia will put up a "Gameday"-thread for tomorrow's game in the morning, but I wanted to throw some things out there ahead of time.
The main thing is a sort of "warning-wrapped-in-a-dilemma":
I don't believe this Vandy offense can score on our defense--not without a whole lotta help (ie. MISTAKES) from us. Therefore, it would seem the best strategy for OUR offense is patience. Take what their defense (a pretty good one) gives us, trap runs, speedsweeps and QB draws, short-to-medium passes in the zone-spaces mid-field, take a shot down field now and then if/when they crowd the box, and steadily take control and pull away. We can win, more than "cover" the 3-TD spread Vegas has us at in the process that way I think...BUT... There's something else to consider--something these next couple/few games offer that may well be important later:
For the sake of the whole offensive unit--and more to the point, our QB--there is the need to develop and reinforce both the details of our passing game AND everyone's confidence in running it...Indeed, in running a complete, wide-ranging and imaginitive offense, and a gameplan that executes it effectively.
Now, I don't know if our Coach is even thinking that far ahead at this point. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if he, like he asks his team to do, is "just taking it one game at a time"--at the very least, I suspect that's what he'd say. But at some point, with a young team against competition you figure to outclass, maybe you get to build towards things you figure to NEED later.
Just a thought. What do y'all think?

miltongator

Gator Fan
I hate these trap games. I expect it to be close and go down to the wire. I hope I'm way off base because it would be nice to sew up the East on Homecoming. Who'da thunk?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(On the other hand, coupla hours later and watching a pretty good Temple team still struggling to put away a 1-and-7 SMU team in the 4th qrtr, perhaps a more sensible part of me is more and more apt to say, "Mmm, maybe just go with Plan A after all tomorrow...". But I'm still anxious to see Treon sharpen his efficiency in the ball-control passing game too.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I hate these trap games. I expect it to be close and go down to the wire. I hope I'm way off base because it would be nice to sew up the East on Homecoming. Who'da thunk?
"Trap game". Yeah...hadn't really thought of it that way, but I suppose it qualifies, now that you mention it. Keep winning, and the USC(east) game REALLY looks like it. Guess I just assume that our Coach knows what buttons to push, won't LET them slip into anything LIKE the "wrong" state of mind. A few more wins-in-a-row, a down opponent with the "really BIG games" looming just ahead will make the Gamecocks a perfect fit for us to get "trapped" in. This one much less so, you'd think--but then again, these guys have more talent and proven success with which to catch us looking past them, IF we were careless enough. Still'd like to think neither this Coach nor this team's pride in what they've done so far, and what they could still manage to at least earn a SHOT at in the weeks ahead, will let them do anything but focus on the game at hand and take care of business.

miltongator

Gator Fan
"Trap game". Yeah...hadn't really thought of it that way, but I suppose it qualifies, now that you mention it. Keep winning, and the USC(east) game REALLY looks like it. Guess I just assume that our Coach knows what buttons to push, won't LET them slip into anything LIKE the "wrong" state of mind. A few more wins-in-a-row, a down opponent with the "really BIG games" looming just ahead will make the Gamecocks a perfect fit for us to get "trapped" in. This one much less so, you'd think--but then again, these guys have more talent and proven success with which to catch us looking past them, IF we were careless enough. Still'd like to think neither this Coach nor this team's pride in what they've done so far, and what they could still manage to at least earn a SHOT at in the weeks ahead, will let them do anything but focus on the game at hand and take care of business.
Guess I still have that "recent past" mentality and still don't give this HC and staff credit for the apparent overall strides they've made in the intangibles ( team unity, confidence, mutual respect, etc.). Gotta get the old ways outta my thinking.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...Still, both these points-of-view are valid, in their separate ways: We HAVE been a team that disappoints for years now, on the one hand. On the other, our D is capable of smothering ANYONE, let alone this bunch, devoid of threats on offense by all evidence so far this season.
However, let's also remember that this Treon-led version of OURS has had to more or less "start over", and looks it. Haven't yet put together a whole QUARTER on offense, let alone a complete game. Exactly why I'm torn between favoring some in-game work on all aspects of (hopefully) our eventual "offense-to-be" with Treon at the helm, and a more short term pragmatic and single-minded gameplan...to wit: patient, ball control, "take what they give us" wearing down of an otherwise quite serviceable defense, opportunistic D and special teams providing whatever early edge we get--all eventually allowing us to pull away, get the solid (if not especially "impressive") win.
We're not gonna win any "beauty contests" anyway, not this year, not with this offense. But that doesn't seem that important, in the final analysis. Not this year, given our circumstances and the current system.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema