• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Post Game LSU: Odds n Ends

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This seems one of those TURNING POINT, watershed moments in the post Meyer-and-Everyone/EveryTHING Else era. Thought it'd be a good time to give us all a place to comment on all the ways that strikes us to be (or NOT be?) the case...
Hey, how bout THIS?:
(1) It is being suggested, based on observable events, behind-the-scenes whispers and the public comments of Ed Ogeron in response to questions postgame, that Fournette, who by all signs and accounts pregame WASN'T going to play in this one (according to the same analysts AND the team-connected "whisperers" mentioned above was planning on sitting out in order to avoid risking FURTHER injury that might jeopardize his NFL draft-status), changed his mind just before the game BECAUSE OF A RUN-IN WITH ONE OF THE GATOR ADs during that not-quite-brawl during warm-ups an hour before kickoff.
Obviously everything worked out for us no matter WHAT the real story is there, but even at just maybe 70% and even then gone by final "crunch time", you KNOW it boosted their chances with him being a part of the action: So y'all think maybe Mac'll be having a little "talk" with that AD? I can't tell from the video who really provoked who there, but Coaches have to be cool, if anything disarming in that kind of situation. Play off it all, psych your guys up as necessary before and during the game--but KEEP IT BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. You just DON'T wanna be a bad example to your guys, or worse yet some kind of motivator/red-flag-to-a-bull to their star player--especially when he looked to be otherwise inclined towards sitting the game out.
Again, at THIS point what Gator wants to change ANYTHING in the whole sequence that began with the sun rising Sat. morning in Baton Rouge?!! But if we WERE telling this story after Fournette had scored on 4th and 1 there at the very end, well, we might all be cooking up the tar'n'feathers for that AD now.
Instead I'm making jokes about it.
Yep, and instead of just another brick in the wall of depression and slow death that seemed to be looming ever closer as we came INTO this game, tonight I am feeling enormously better about it all.
(2) As FOR that "NEXT game", I don't wanna shake off this nice buzz of hope (well, and Crown Royal Black too) I got goin' here even now, at 1am Sun morning, but I honestly don't feel like I'm doing that, or HAVE to, in facing and sharing my current overall attitude about this year's edition of our annual confrontation with the cross state rival: We can beat them--our D is better, significantly so--and our offense just needs to make some plays it is capable of, keep running and maybe a little more progress and relaxed-confidence from our QB, just going with skills he DOES have...Do all THAT and we do, we BEAT 'em--maybe even pretty soundly.
In short, we COULDA folded our tent, thought, planned and PLAYED "try not to lose (at least not badly)" Muschamp-style football, take the first turn down "Lose-out Road"--but we didn't. Instead our guys (Coaches, players, everyone associated with the program top to bottom) just did whatever they could, whatever they had to--and now we find ourselves on a different trip, a different FUTURE altogether. And this one's got a whole different storyline.
We probably DON'T "win out", but like our team, we get to keep trying, even believing that we can and at least still MIGHT. That's a huge change, big step forward.
So I'M looking forward to you guys chiming in--on this and/or anything else that strikes you about this win and its significance (if any) to this season and/or the Gator Big Picture.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
This may have been the turning point, part 2. I think the victory over #3 Ole Miss last year was the turning point part 1, but the train was derailed thanks to Will Grier. Assuming this team does not have a major catastrophe, this game will be the real turning point for the program. I am not saying that Florida is going to curb-stomp FSU and smash Alabama, but I am saying that finally we have a reason to tune into games where we fall behind early and look ugly. Mac has finally shown us that his Gators have a fighting chance in any game. The Gators were 2-touchdown underdogs at one point!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This may have been the turning point, part 2. I think the victory over #3 Ole Miss last year was the turning point part 1, but the train was derailed thanks to Will Grier. Assuming this team does not have a major catastrophe, this game will be the real turning point for the program. I am not saying that Florida is going to curb-stomp FSU and smash Alabama, but I am saying that finally we have a reason to tune into games where we fall behind early and look ugly. Mac has finally shown us that his Gators have a fighting chance in any game. The Gators were 2-touchdown underdogs at one point!
My feelings precisely.
And the game itself had its own Clear Turning Points, themselves like signposts anyone can/will be able to follow, in retrospect: The 98-yarder to freshman WR Cleveland, and that climactic 4th-and-1 that encapsulated our D's work all game, all SEASON, especially stand there for all to see, for us to look at, point at, team, staff and fans to "hang our hats on".
Hell, I'm gonna quote WINSTON GODDAMN CHURCHILL here--and don't feel at all foolish or pretentious doing so:
"It is not the end, nor is it the beginning of the end...But it may well be the END of the BEGINNING."
We got a pulse. AND a future.

(Oh--on sidenote, another thing occurs to me here: With that 98-yarder in the 2nd half, we saw "the SECOND longest passplay in Gator history" yesterday...
I was IN the stadium--just Florida Field then, not yet "The Swamp"--that day in'77, a freshman on the student side when "The Cadillac", sophomore receiver/former prep-star QB Cris Collinsworth threw that 99-yarder to Derrick Gaffney on a trick/toss and throw play, as I recall...all we HAD were such moments back then, if we were lucky, and even those were thanks mainly to Cris--"the future" likely held little more, and we knew it. Sure DOESN'T feel that way now.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Honestly I was surprise they won especially seeing on my phone (I was working and wasn't able to watch) LSU had the ball on the goal line on 3rd down. Also what about that hit from Joseph hitting Etting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema