• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Playing for a punt?

News Bot

News Bot
HOOVER, Ala. — Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel revealed at SEC Media Days on Monday just how conservative the Gators’ offense became during the course of the injury-riddled 2013 season.

Driskel, speaking with a handful of reporters before he and the rest of the UF party appeared on the big stage, said there were times when the main offensive goal was to punt.

“At times, you can only do what the coaching staff asked you to do,” Driskel said. “At times we were asked to play conservatively and control the time of possession.

“I don’t think it was a lack of talent. It was a lack of time (to pass), of executing plays, and at times the play-calling. There were times when we wanted to punt the ball and get the other team inside the 10.”

Muschamp reiterated Monday that he made a change in coordinators (replacing Brent Pease with Kurt Roper) because it seemed the players had lost confidence in what the Gators were trying to do offensively last season.

Driskel said Monday that he and the other offensive players have a great deal of confidence in Roper, who has installed a hurry-up, spread attack that seemed very effective in the spring.

“It’s kind of polar opposite of what we were used to over the past few years, where we were putting our focus on time of possession and controlling the ball,” he said. “I think the game is just moving toward having to score points and trying to get (off) as many plays as possible, which is Coach Roper’s mindset.

“He’s a positive coach and puts players in positions to be successful. We’re lucky to have Coach Roper and we’re excited to get going in camp.”

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Wow. I mean, think about it.
That sure is what it LOOKED like out there last year, but it's still kind of jarring to hear it confirmed in this way--and frankly, a (large) point against the head coach, his (now-former) OC, and what passed for "strategy", even with all the injuries and losses. Can't say it was much better the year before, at least on offense. What saved us then was an experienced defense that was still playing as a motivated unit, hadn't yet begun to lose confidence. By last season's Georgia Southern game though they gave up in the face of adversity, were ready not-to-care, and that's what troubled me the most. Part of it was no doubt a feeling of frustrated futility on the part of the defense, knowing they would get little from the rest of the team (EXCEPT maybe a decent punt--which sort of explains the attitude/gameplan referred to above, but it's one you can't win with). That's bad enough, but now we all can see: the whole team had to know it was more or less a foregone conclusion. "Play for a punt"???!!! How could a "give up"/"maybe we can keep it close and get lucky at the end"-mentality NOT eventually spread to the very soul of your team?
Those of us who spend our gamedays here at GE have been driven apoplectic last few seasons watching us repeatedly try to "shorten the game", clutch and hold on, keep it close and win at the end. That's been a constant since Muschamp got here, really, and it JUST DOESN'T WORK IN THE SEC, not if you wanna win championships. You gotta be able to strike quick sometimes, hit 'em upside the head on the scoreboard too--then strike when they're down, again and again if you can. Yeah, our D and special teams can and will supply some of that--but if you can't do it on offense, don't even try, well, you make the "easy" games hard and the hard ones all too often a 50/50 proposition at best.
And how many "bad OC's" does he get to hire? Can it all be blamed on them? They each came here with their basic philosophies intact. The overall approach, coaches' mindset and team attitude flows down and outward from the top. OK, it looks like we may have finally gotten it right this time, but we thought that the first two times. When all is considered dispassionately, I now think our Head Coach deserves the "hot seat" he finds himself on, the feeling that he must "get it done" this season, his team show us all (beginning and ending with themselves) a whole lot more out there, first game thru' last, for him to be given further time here. We can argue about what "get it done" comprises, how much that "more" should be (Final record? Results against rivals? For me it'll be as much a game-by-game, overall philosophy-of-approach and fight-as-a-team thing as those other, more obvious factors), what standard of success held, threshold passed in order to satisfy us, but there have been too many poor choices to go with all the bad luck to make excuses, dance around it anymore: By late season he'd pretty well lost the team, even his beloved defense. Never mind how or why...any sign of anything like that again has to be grounds for profound change, no matter the drastic, time-consuming consequences.
Going into 2014, I'm still a Muschamp-supporter, a fan. I believe he has all kinds of strong points, could still turn out to be the right man at the right time--but I could be wrong, and at this point there are too many warning signs. It's a tough schedule, and there are still some important unknowns, especially on offense. But this is essentially the team Muschamp has been building towards--in his own words at SEC Media Days, "The most talented and experienced team we've had since I came here". If last year's collapse looks to be anything but an anomaly (and one he has LEARNED from, especially with regards to turning things loose on offense), then even I'll have to side with those who say, "Time's up!".

miltongator

Gator Fan
Wow. I mean, think about it.
That sure is what it LOOKED like out there last year, but it's still kind of jarring to hear it confirmed in this way--and frankly, a (large) point against the head coach, his (now-former) OC, and what passed for "strategy", even with all the injuries and losses. Can't say it was much better the year before, at least on offense. What saved us then was an experienced defense that was still playing as a motivated unit, hadn't yet begun to lose confidence. By last season's Georgia Southern game though they gave up in the face of adversity, were ready not-to-care, and that's what troubled me the most. Part of it was no doubt a feeling of frustrated futility on the part of the defense, knowing they would get little from the rest of the team (EXCEPT maybe a decent punt--which sort of explains the attitude/gameplan referred to above, but it's one you can't win with). That's bad enough, but now we all can see: the whole team had to know it was more or less a foregone conclusion. "Play for a punt"???!!! How could a "give up"/"maybe we can keep it close and get lucky at the end"-mentality NOT eventually spread to the very soul of your team?
Those of us who spend our gamedays here at GE have been driven apoplectic last few seasons watching us repeatedly try to "shorten the game", clutch and hold on, keep it close and win at the end. That's been a constant since Muschamp got here, really, and it JUST DOESN'T WORK IN THE SEC, not if you wanna win championships. You gotta be able to strike quick sometimes, hit 'em upside the head on the scoreboard too--then strike when they're down, again and again if you can. Yeah, our D and special teams can and will supply some of that--but if you can't do it on offense, don't even try, well, you make the "easy" games hard and the hard ones all too often a 50/50 proposition at best.
And how many "bad OC's" does he get to hire? Can it all be blamed on them? They each came here with their basic philosophies intact. The overall approach, coaches' mindset and team attitude flows down and outward from the top. OK, it looks like we may have finally gotten it right this time, but we thought that the first two times. When all is considered dispassionately, I now think our Head Coach deserves the "hot seat" he finds himself on, the feeling that he must "get it done" this season, his team show us all (beginning and ending with themselves) a whole lot more out there, first game thru' last, for him to be given further time here. We can argue about what "get it done" comprises, how much that "more" should be (Final record? Results against rivals? For me it'll be as much a game-by-game, overall philosophy-of-approach and fight-as-a-team thing as those other, more obvious factors), what standard of success held, threshold passed in order to satisfy us, but there have been too many poor choices to go with all the bad luck to make excuses, dance around it anymore: By late season he'd pretty well lost the team, even his beloved defense. Never mind how or why...any sign of anything like that again has to be grounds for profound change, no matter the drastic, time-consuming consequences.
Going into 2014, I'm still a Muschamp-supporter, a fan. I believe he has all kinds of strong points, could still turn out to be the right man at the right time--but I could be wrong, and at this point there are too many warning signs. It's a tough schedule, and there are still some important unknowns, especially on offense. But this is essentially the team Muschamp has been building towards--in his own words at SEC Media Days, "The most talented and experienced team we've had since I came here". If last year's collapse looks to be anything but an anomaly (and one he has LEARNED from, especially with regards to turning things loose on offense), then even I'll have to side with those who say, "Time's up!".
Amen!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@miltongator, et al (OK, I do go on sometimes here...)
"Guilty"...but I wanted to make sure I made my point and covered ALL the sides of this argument, which at this point stacks up pretty strongly: "Get it done now or Sayonara, Will!" (And btw--yeah, a lot there, but is there any part of the above I should have left out, COULD have "left out" when trying to note and anticipate every counterpoint?)
Thing is, from what I gather things have looked even better this summer than even the optimists dared hope. To me, that just means, more than ever, "No more excuses!".

miltongator

Gator Fan
Hey, I've got no problems with the way you pontificate. Wish I could turn the phrases as you do, Dru. That's why we need a "super moderator"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema