• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Our '16 Close to Finally Being Euthanized

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Another year, another unwatchable Gator offense. Another torrent of injuries, bad losses (well, there WAS LSU) and woulda shoulda couldas to end the regular schedule--and another crap Consolation Bowl (excuse me, "The Outhouse Bowl", right?) as an excuse to keep practicing, grab a little press during recruiting etc...
Let's see, some house keeping remains:
Appleby starts the Bowl, Luke(warm) Delrio backs him up--so neither of our "promising freshmen qbs" has to shed the redshirt for just one game (no use revisiting the "play ONE of em into some experience for NEXT year" argument at this point.
Cronkite transferring: I'm sorry to see him go, think he might well have star-level skills, but it does make sense: Always DID seem we had a bottleneck there at RB, Scarlett broke out when he got 1/2 a chance, Thompson's a good, strong grind-it-out counterpunch to him, and there is at least one MORE 4-star committed to the next class, from what I hear.
Now, one more time, here's The Thing:
Mac HAS to kick major butt on the recruiting trail this time. Figure in the Top 5--not so much that the ranking of any particular player is always the last word--but overall, his haul this time better cause a stir overall: He has GOT to get the tools to begin to show the offensive acumen he was hired for, mainly.
That'll hopefully include a 5-star QB, some studs on the O-line, and depth on D. This last isn't nearly the panic attack some were forcasting...One thing all the injuries showed is that we got a slew of good ones who stepped up and got some experience here at the end. Still need some replacements in the defensive secondary (we'll be losing some great ones after this season and next).
But its all over on the offense where both the program's AND the Coach's immed-to-midterm future will be decided.
We THINK we MAY have two good QBs sitting thru their redshirts this season--but we still have no real proof they have what's needed at this level (and WAY too much expetience with "highly regarded prep qbs" who turn out to be studs at practice, duds in games).
It is time we snagged a great one. And Mac was supposed to be the ideal guy to get him, and mentor him into a star.
Of course, a solid O-line would make a big difference. The patchwork line has performed above and beyond, a tribute to the players AND the staff--and if we get a few true all-conference "big uglies", together with them we could be a force...Can you imagine what Scarlett & Co., PLUS a real passing threat (short and long) might be able to accomplish?
We could give up at least a td more a game and STILL lap the East, maybe challenge Alabama and get back in the playoffs...
OK, that may be too much to ask, certainly to EXPECT in terms of one season to the next...but we better show enough to FLIRT with that sorta improvement--then follow up with a SECOND recruiting killing in a row, a la Meyer, Saban and a handful of others here n there, now n then. From what we've seen ourselves and elsewhere, it takes at least TWO IN A ROW of these much-talked about HAULS to really turn the corner, make good on all the supposed "promise". Like you, I'm SICK of wishin' and hopin'--and sick to DEATH of guessing.
If and when you're really on track, you just KNOW it--and then it gets to be SERIOUS fun, right? Oh, it comes with it's own worries, ups n downs. But we'll trade it for groans and explanations in a HEARTBEAT, right?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
As long as one of our players is not suspended for a year for steroids, I would call 2016 a success! Woo!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apparently NCAA comes down harder on drugs than on a student-athlete who abuses a woman.
Weeeeellll--yeah, "funny"--but also true, so maybe NOT so funny after all.
I mean, the writing ain't just "on the wall" anymore, boys n girls:
Everywhere you turn it is made clear, the way to success is without ethics, conscience or class:
"If you aint cheating--or lying, back-stabbing, double dealing, or at the very LEAST ignoring all of that and more--you ain't TRYING!"
Guess we gotta go out and get another cynical narcissist if we really wanna win...
(Really crappy part is, I don't think I'm kidding anymore. Not entirely, anyway. Guess I'm ready to throw my soul into the deal too--for all that shrivelled little remnant is worth!)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema