• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

One former Gator coach got fired

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
DJ Durkin let a kid die on his watch. There is no other way for that story to end.

Urban Meyer is being strategic with the news of the cyst. He is preparing to exit this year or next, but no more than two years from now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
What the University of Maryland's board of regents did was a shame. The university president had to step in. I like DJ Durkin, but even if Maryland thought his 10-15 (5-13) record was worth keeping him around, they have to realize that a human being died on his watch but that death was easily preventable. In 2017, 13 males out of 4 million of all amateur football players of all ages died, and only 3 of those were due to direct football action. The other 10 were preventable with trained athletic staffs. Durkin is no different. He had paid medical staff, he had some training, and he certainly had the responsibility to save Jordan McNair's life. The board of regents had the responsibility of protecting the football program's profits, which would have been to terminate Durkin for cause and not pay him $5 million. Use some of that cash to help McNair's family. Hire better medical staff. Buy better training.

What Maryland did was mind-boggling. They might not recover from this for some time.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DJ Durkin let a kid die on his watch. There is no other way for that story to end.

Urban Meyer is being strategic with the news of the cyst. He is preparing to exit this year or next, but no more than two years from now.
Agreed, just wished Maryland did it immediately.
What the University of Maryland's board of regents did was a shame. The university president had to step in. I like DJ Durkin, but even if Maryland thought his 10-15 (5-13) record was worth keeping him around, they have to realize that a human being died on his watch but that death was easily preventable. In 2017, 13 males out of 4 million of all amateur football players of all ages died, and only 3 of those were due to direct football action. The other 10 were preventable with trained athletic staffs. Durkin is no different. He had paid medical staff, he had some training, and he certainly had the responsibility to save Jordan McNair's life. The board of regents had the responsibility of protecting the football program's profits, which would have been to terminate Durkin for cause and not pay him $5 million. Use some of that cash to help McNair's family. Hire better medical staff. Buy better training.

What Maryland did was mind-boggling. They might not recover from this for some time.
"Unconscionable" barely only BEGINS to cover it--I mean, how could ANY responsible parent greenlight their child's move to a program that puts his very life that far down their list of priorities--and that's just to start with, before getting into the details of the whole sordid, irresponsibly sad affair. As for the "WHY"s of the regents' subsequent choices and Durkin's relative "value" to them--far as I can see, beating Texas to start 2 seasons in a row was apparently enough to spark an upsurge in ticket sales--which probably says way too much about where this program was starting from and hence, their likely longterm future...ANOTHER reason for anyone above a 2-star proepect from even listening, let alone making a trip there, or worse: Actually wasting a MOMENT seriously considering this place. I mean it: Memories are short, but y'all KILLED A KID! THEY deserve their own defacto "Death Penalty". But who knows?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

As for Meyer's antics, well, by now we are cynical old hands at HIS cynical old plans...or, to paraphrase a line from "Hunt for Red October", "Urban Meyer don't take a DUMP, son, without a plan...":
He's had a lot of practice at this by now, and in this case you'd have to be blind (and very naive) not to see THIS one coming from miles off: Another "My heart, my HEART!" routine would be beyond "obvious"--and don't forget: Meyer still thinks he has to leave his imagined-image intact, and maneuvering room for his (in HIS mind, anyway) eventual, "up the road" ascension to Head Coach at Notre Dame.
I'm telling y'all: A "cyst" is theoretically treatable, CURABLE--whereas he may never be comfortably considered for a job at a major college program again with a "chronic heart condition". Yeah, I knew SOMETHING like this was coming, and soon: Figure him gone as Coach after this season--beyond that, at MOST agreeably "kicked upstairs" to some figurehead position with O-state (a la his last year with the Gators--but LOOK OUT, Buckeyes! Y'all remember how he schemed and negotiated with you, while he shafted US, all the while he was in a similar situation at Florida: Trust him at your peril...).
On the other hand, "Screw y'all, big time, Poison Nuts!" It'd only be a matter of justice, karma, if you will: a perfect ending to "a perfect fit"--lying bastards lying to each other and the world, the snake eating itself from the tail on up.
And while we are on this general subject...
There is talk that IF the Gators win out and the various "Big Bowls" revert to their old contractual agreements (which it seems they are presently inclined to do, it seems--although not necessarily contractually obligated to do so, and which in my view at least would be a missed opportunity for them to recover and retain some lost cultural relevance by instead going for "BEST POSSIBLE CROWD-PLEASING-on-a-NATIONAL-Scale" matchups instead. In which case The Peach Bowl won't make that mistake, but rather will seize on the opportunity to match Ohio State (having just been left out of the playoffs AND snubbed by the Rose Bowl) and Florida (having been similarly bumped from the Sugar by either LSU or UGA, one of whom will have also been likely left uninvited to the FFF)--a game that WOULD have great appeal as a national crowd-pleaser AND as a multi-leveled grudge match among the respective programs AND fan bases. And lets face it: How badly would WE wanna shot at them--especially if it turned out to be Urban Meyer's Swan Song?!!!
Pretty juicy for an "Also-Ran Bowl"...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema