• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

One DOWN Week?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Let's hope so--JUST the "one", as implied in the title. But that ISN'T what I want to dwell on here: We, as a team, program and its fans, will either see this squad--still the same group left after (one way or another) jettising most of the selfish and/or self-DESTRUCTIVE and/or outright STUPID elements holding us down, no matter their undeniable talent and physical skills--rally, respond to their Coaches' plans, efforts and exhortations, or fold its collective tent and render/reveal itself a collection of flashy losers after all. If the former, then we will be fine: On schedule and this latest let down seen as a somewhat inevitable, arguably (given its history and locker room confusion over the last 8-to-10 years) even somewhat NECESSARY in terms of "what, when, why and how"--a lesson taught and learned, consequence of ongoing (and truly unearned) arrogance, all "well-timed" as far as future "big picture" analysis will see it. If the latter, though, if those still standing after "going through the fire" that last coupla season's tragicomedy of fuckups amounted to are NOT "tempered steel" but rather "charred and brittle remains" who were faking it (but had enough pure talent to do a pretty good job of it until truly tested) after all, then we'll be lucky to win another game THIS season--meaning Mullen & Co will be starting over, and you can add 2 years MINIMUM to the "Comeback/Rebuild" process...
So THOSE questions WILL be answered: All WE can do is cheer HARD (especially those actually IN a hopefully FULLY PACKED SWAMP for the rest of this season).
No, what I am REALLY interested in here, and am heading towards in the title above (if NOT in the usual long-winded tangent that ensues--LOL) is to simply pose the question: What are y'all doing to pass the time this week? Different people have different ways of dealing with pain and disappointment at loss and stress at contemplating the future...Most maybe avoid both by endeavoring NOT to think about either, or to think about OTHER THINGS ENTIRELY. How bout y'all?
Me, I WAS in the habit of getting up early each morning and monitoring the various comments and projections etc available on TV--between live shows (Finebaum et al, down to seemingly joke-panels full of dumbass hicks, for crying out loud!) and the availability of streamed clips from all over--except for the week directly after Kentucky, I WAS able to comfortably pass an hour or so over my coffee before work each morning in this way until THIS week...Aside from the Mullen Presser (and even THAT, not available 'til noon Monday, I COULDN'T watch until Monday eve, earliest (though I DID watch it a second time this morning). So I have had to turn to the various other NON-sports offerings out there to distract me--for me that apparently means (depending on what day) mainly the HISTORY channel (though other days it'll be SyFy (various shows, Dr Who etc) or BBC America (depending on day and what's on 6 hours later than us)...this morning, for eg, it has been History, Leonardo da Vinci and The 300 Spartans at THERMOPOLAE...Hasn't been a BAD change, obviously--just different; only the REASONS for it are a drag! As I say: Beyond all our concern, disappointment and hand-wringing, the actual games ahead (ESPECIALLY this very next one) will answer, tell us all we need to know.
So: Meanwhile, "What are Y'ALL'S ways of dealing with this period of 'minor crisis'?"

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gators are #11 in the CFP even with the #220th ranked QB out of 127 QBs--just one year after going 4-7. I am not complaining.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators are #11 in the CFP even with the #220th ranked QB out of 127 QBs--just one year after going 4-7. I am not complaining.
OK. But as for how this season will END UP looking, this Saturday's game will tell much. DM says we'll get one of our DBs back, came out of last one otherwise the same, relatively healthy (no worse for wear than before)...So our D should be able to keep us in it against Mizzou's live offense; IF Franks has a better game, gets better protection from our O-line and our running game gets untracked, well, would love to see us come out firing--and actually take control early this time...Might not go long on first play from scrimmage again, but it'll likely come early--and it'd be real nice if Fillipe could actually HIT the WR this time.
And as for the season so far, I'm "not complaining" either: It's been fun, mainly--but questions remain as to "who we are, where we're going and how soon we'll likely be getting there"...Now comes "real or fake?", "sooner or later?" time.
It is IMPORTANT to me as to what the realistic timeframe likely is: Call my "raised expectations" a set-up for disappointment, but I now truly believe I, WE share them with our COACH. Now just hoping the home crowd heeds his call and adds another brick to the rebuilt WALL that is our once unbeatable "Home Field Advantage" in The Swamp.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Last week's performance against Georgia gave us fans and the College Football Playoff committee a very good Gage on the Gator program:
  • The offense is limited by its QB
  • Coaching can compensate for those limitations to a degree
  • The defense is top-notch, but limited by depth
  • Special teams is special
  • The Gators are one QB and a couple backup DBs away from being a top-10 team
  • The Gators might have been able to beat Georgia with DB CJ Henderson in the game
Now the real issue is how the team reacts knowing that the only thing left to play for realistically is a New Year's Six bowl. Some key players eligible for the NFL draft are going to return next year, so there should not be a mass exodus. This team is solid enough in terms of talent and motivation to win out, and the CFP committee believes that as well.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Last week's performance against Georgia gave us fans and the College Football Playoff committee a very good Gage on the Gator program:
  • The offense is limited by its QB
  • Coaching can compensate for those limitations to a degree
  • The defense is top-notch, but limited by depth
  • Special teams is special
  • The Gators are one QB and a couple backup DBs away from being a top-10 team
  • The Gators might have been able to beat Georgia with DB CJ Henderson in the game
Now the real issue is how the team reacts knowing that the only thing left to play for realistically is a New Year's Six bowl. Some key players eligible for the NFL draft are going to return next year, so there should not be a mass exodus. This team is solid enough in terms of talent and motivation to win out, and the CFP committee believes that as well.
Yes. All true. Now we see if the players themselves see it, believe in themselves--and whether it is enough. It's a matter of character and pride now: The good news is that COACHING can play a big part in all that--but it can only take them so far. There has to be some portion of those elements inside these young men to "draw out".
It's a big deal for us--not just for this season but for our future as well: This will be the core we add to and build around with the comimg recrutimg classes and transfer-ins as well, after all. Again: All you say above, E--, about adding depth and a coupla key playmakers (especially at QB) is contingent upon THESE kids actually having and USING "the goods" we've glimpsed and come to believe they truly have the potential to play with all the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema