• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Oklahoma or Ohio State?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I know it's a silly question to ask but I doubt whoever loses the SEC championship game will be in the playoff (maybe Bama if they lose). More than likely Georgia is going to lose and drop out of the playoffs, so that would leave a choice between Oklahoma or Ohio State. I want Oklahoma to get the spot because well I think we know why.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Assuming #1 Alabama (12-1, 8-1) loses to #4 Georgia (12-1, 8-1), and #2 Clemson (13-0, 9-0) beats NR Pitt this is how it would play out:
  • Clemson rises to #1.
  • Notre Dame rises to #2.
  • Georgia rises to #3.
  • Alabama drops to #4.
The reason this works out is that Alabama would still be the best 1-loss team with the best loss being #4 compared to Oklahoma's #14 or Ohio State's unranked loss.

If Clemson and Alabama both lose horribly, say 66-10, then it plays out like this:
  • Notre Dame rises to #1 or #2.
  • Georgia rises to #2 or #1.
  • Oklahoma (12-1, 9-1) gets the nod at #3 by virtue of having a quality loss to #14 Texas (9-4, 7-4) early in the season, assuming they avenge the loss this weekend against that same team. This would be their version of the UF-FSU scenario in 1996.
  • Alabama is still the best 1-loss team by virtue of losing to #4, but the committee could put Clemson here and argue that their loss to an unranked team will be justifiable in a conference championship to Pitt (8-5, 7-2). Pitt would reluctantly become the highest ranked 5-loss team at #25.
Ohio State (12-1, 9-1) only gets in if Alabama, Clemson, and Oklahoma lose on the same day, since their loss was to San unranked Purdue (6-6, 5-4). This is their UF-Ole Miss 2008 scenario on steroids. They can only afford that loss to an unranked team if teams above them also have equally bad losses.

This is why I am nearly alone in the belief that the CFP system is perfect as it stands today. We do not need 6 or 8 teams in the playoffs, because the entire season is the playoff. Every loss counts. The quality of each loss counts. The comparison between losses counts. All teams are allowed 1 quality loss as long as everyone has the same number of losses. 2 losses is automatically disqualifying from the CFP unless multiple teams have 2 losses in the top-4. In that case, the quality of the losses becomes important.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know it's a silly question to ask but I doubt whoever loses the SEC championship game will be in the playoff (maybe Bama if they lose). More than likely Georgia is going to lose and drop out of the playoffs, so that would leave a choice between Oklahoma or Ohio State. I want Oklahoma to get the spot because well I think we know why.
First off, I believe Georgia ought to go at #4 with anything but a REALLY bad loss to Bama--I think they'll hold their own for a half, the Tide eventually pullimg away to MAYBE a 3 TD victory--and that that would constitute grounds for a "#1 and #4 SEC representation" in the CFB this time...However, the constitution of the so-called "Committee" pretty well assures some foolish "automatic avoidance" to any "replay" of the same game again in their very next appearances by the very same teams... So the ONLY way they both make the playoffs IS the "UGA nips Tide, rises (a notch or two) but Alabama still gets in" scenario.
As for the rest, well, both my (like you, LF) admittedly bias-against-the-Liar AND I think any objective consideration of "the eyetest" week by week until Michigan (and talk about a coupla overrated headcases, oops, I mean "headCOACHES" LOL there in the LONG OVERRATED ALTOGETHER Big Ten!) ought to eliminate the Poison Nuts ANYWAY. Though I'm not so sure the huge disbalance between great offense and sloppy, porous defense in the Sooners' case DESERVES inclusion, it is an interesting point of argument that doesn't deeply offend me--something arguably worth seeing play out, finally.
The rest mainly a "PC no-brainer" unless the "Championships" produce unexpected results...and greatest chance of THAT not in the SEC I think but in the Big 12--but Texas actually backslid slightly doen tge stretch, really, in overall impressiveness, OU came on, and anyway it's hard to beat a tough rival twice in a season ANYWAY--AND I doubt Longhorns jump out to a big lead again either...they barely eventually beat them when they did, too, so...
Would LOVE to see some "chaos" at the end here, but don't really expect it.

Escambia94

First off, I believe Georgia ought to go at #4 with anything but a REALLY bad loss to Bama--I think they'll hold their own for a half, the Tide eventually pullimg away to MAYBE a 3 TD victory--and that that would constitute grounds for a "#1 and #4 SEC representation" in the CFB this time...However, the constitution of the so-called "Committee" pretty well assures some foolish "automatic avoidance" to any "replay" of the same game again in their very next appearances by the very same teams... So the ONLY way they both make the playoffs IS the "UGA nips Tide, rises (a notch or two) but Alabama still gets in" scenario.
As for the rest, well, both my (like you, LF) admittedly bias-against-the-Liar AND I think any objective consideration of "the eyetest" week by week until Michigan (and talk about a coupla overrated headcases, oops, I mean "headCOACHES" LOL there in the LONG OVERRATED ALTOGETHER Big Ten!) ought to eliminate the Poison Nuts ANYWAY. Though I'm not so sure the huge disbalance between great offense and sloppy, porous defense in the Sooners' case DESERVES inclusion, it is an interesting point of argument that doesn't deeply offend me--something arguably worth seeing play out, finally.
The rest mainly a "PC no-brainer" unless the "Championships" produce unexpected results...and greatest chance of THAT not in the SEC I think but in the Big 12--but Texas actually backslid slightly doen tge stretch, really, in overall impressiveness, OU came on, and anyway it's hard to beat a tough rival twice in a season ANYWAY--AND I doubt Longhorns jump out to a big lead again either...they barely eventually beat them when they did, too, so...
Would LOVE to see some "chaos" at the end here, but don't really expect it.

UGA gets run out of the CFP playoff if Alabama boat-races them 66-10 and Oklahoma destroys Texas. I forgot to cover that scenario.

Notre Dame has the safest position in the top-4 CFP. Alabama has the next safest position since they have zero losses and if they lose this weekend it would be against the #4 team. Clemson's problem would be that a loss to an unranked team in the last game of the season is hard for the Committee to forgive.

The Committee has a tough problem facing them. In most scenarios there are only two P5 teams in the CFP, with independent Notre Dame replacing a P5 team no matter what. Can you imagine three P5 athletic directors having to watch the game from home without representation? If this happens a couple years in a row, I foresee changes in the CFP. I do not want to see it, but it could lead to an expansion in the playoffs.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
UGA gets run out of the CFP playoff if Alabama boat-races them 66-10 and Oklahoma destroys Texas. I forgot to cover that scenario.

Notre Dame has the safest position in the top-4 CFP. Alabama has the next safest position since they have zero losses and if they lose this weekend it would be against the #4 team. Clemson's problem would be that a loss to an unranked team in the last game of the season is hard for the Committee to forgive.

The Committee has a tough problem facing them. In most scenarios there are only two P5 teams in the CFP, with independent Notre Dame replacing a P5 team no matter what. Can you imagine three P5 athletic directors having to watch the game from home without representation? If this happens a couple years in a row, I foresee changes in the CFP. I do not want to see it, but it could lead to an expansion in the playoffs.
The thing I hadn't considered when first finally turning to the whole "scenario lottery" discussion has to do with The Committee and the non-FOOTBALL aspects of their self-appointed self-importance in "guarding the current set-up's integrity":
In this case that is manifested in an admittedly glaring "unintended consequence"--If Georgia somehow moves up to #4 after Championship Week, that would make the NEXT meaningful step in the process, the first of the CFB's playoff/play-on games, an immediate REMATCH between the same two, Tide and Bulldog...Hard to see them doing that. Indeed, applying this self-styled "Big Picture Steering Committee" approach I believe they do so ONLY if they can find a rationale that somehow (1) boosts the value and impact of a win by either Bama OR UGA in the SEC Championship game, OR (2) that of a LOSS by any of the rest (mainly in Big 12 and/or Big 10 Championships) this coming weekend.
No matter what, there's a WHOLE LOTTA blah blah BLAHING ahead:
Ye godz, they are all OVER this crap, on and ON about it on the "sports yak yak shows": As always, the biggest mouths are given the largest stage. But I get it, even appreciate it to a certain extent at least intellectually... The "College Football Season" season is being extended--or at least the "wind down" period when they'd normally be turning to B'ball and the NFL, instead presents an opening for all the peripheral players (professional purveyors of sideshow issues like Mel Kiper on the draft, and all the former PLAYERS called in to loudly/proudly support their alma maters) are now suddenly called in as supposed EXPERTS (ON WHAT exactly is unclear)...
Me, I'm well sick of it already--and I'm NOT particularly proud or happy to find myself a part of it now. The GOOD news is that there IS a little more "meaningful football" to be played yet, and we are a part of both the action and its repercussions--and EVENTUALLY, a "Big Game" after all...NOT the "BIG STAGE", that we expect to (and soon WILL) play on, but one that will mean SOMETHING to the present AND future of our program nonetheless. Staying "close to the action" keeps us seen and mentioned and impacts the recruiting that in turn gives access to the talent...We all GET how this thing works, where this Coach, Staff, time work and talent can take us--In general terms at least:
How far, How fast!
In the final analysis, far as I'M concerned, THAT'S what ALL this is about.

Escambia94

Regardless of what the committee decides, I would like to see the playoff like this:
  1. Alabama or Georgia
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma
I have no idea what the committee would do about the loser of Alabama-Georgia, because no matter what there is an argument to keep them both in the top 4. True, fans do not want to see the same teams year to year, much less within a month, but the #5 through #8 teams failed to make an argument to get into the top 4. Ohio State lost to an unranked team. Michigan lost 2 games (#3 Notre Dame and #7 OSU). UCF has not played anybody.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Regardless of what the committee decides, I would like to see the playoff like this:
  1. Alabama or Georgia
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Oklahoma
I have no idea what the committee would do about the loser of Alabama-Georgia, because no matter what there is an argument to keep them both in the top 4. True, fans do not want to see the same teams year to year, much less within a month, but the #5 through #8 teams failed to make an argument to get into the top 4. Ohio State lost to an unranked team. Michigan lost 2 games (#3 Notre Dame and #7 OSU). UCF has not played anybody.
Bout sums it all up, bottom line.
(...and lets face it, no matter WHAT happens tomorrow, seems pretty damn obvious that #'s 1 and 2 in E-'s list comprise the names of THREE QUARTERS of any proper listing of this season's "Best Four" going into the CFB...Assuming they handle their biz with Texas, I too then include OU as #4 from the pure academic AND "entertainment"/curiosity P.O.V.: Lets just SEE how ANY of the other 3 teams deal with the Sooners' shark-frenzy-offense but jellyfish D!
And yes, that drops Notre Dame--which is why it won't happen, but I believe Notre Dame is far and away the weak sister here, that they won't give ANY of the rest listed a "good game"--they go down regardless, "not with a bang but with a whimper".
Oklahoma would make it interesting: Lose by a bunch, maybe, but another pinball "OVER" ("TILT"?) in total points, no matter what!
It is in fact a socio-POLITICAL situation that keeps Notre Dame in these kinds of discussions ANYTIME their "independant"s schedule by circumstance comes up weak enough for them to win through and put them and their huge, nationwide following in position to make this same old run based on the same old arguments...FACT is that THIS year a schedule made YEARS ago that (as usual) LOOKED tough enough turned out NOT to be a whole lot stronger argument for even "adequacy" than UCF's! That's not their "fault"--but isn't their great honor either. Just the way it IS--and "just the way it is" will probably have to explain why undefeated they get in, one way or another, no matter what. Period.
No, Only way we get the TWO SEC teams in is if UGA BEATS THE TIDE, outright. Even losing (and then with 2 losses) the Bulldogs are better than Notre Dame, Oklahoma AND Ohio State--but POLITICS will hold sway ANYWHERE there is a "COMMITTEE" making ultimate decisions. So this year Notre Dame gets into the CFP no matter what. Which brings me back to another one of my Dad's standby sayings for all too many occasions:
"A camel is a horse designed by a committee".

Escambia94

Notre Dame beat #7 Michigan, #20 Syracuse, and #21 Northwestern. They deserve to be in the top 4. They basically cherry pick ACC and B1G teams, but they are all P5 teams, unlike UCF.

Just to put this to bed, UCF does not belong in the top 8 unless. Any other team in the top 15 to 20 would be undefeated with that schedule. UCF would have 4 to 6 losses every year in the SEC.

Ohio State committed the sin of losing to a bad unranked team. They are probably just as good as Oklahoma at the moment, but the committee sees every game as part of the playoff and Ohio State already lost to an unseeded team.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Notre Dame beat #7 Michigan, #20 Syracuse, and #21 Northwestern. They deserve to be in the top 4. They basically cherry pick ACC and B1G teams, but they are all P5 teams, unlike UCF.

Just to put this to bed, UCF does not belong in the top 8 unless. Any other team in the top 15 to 20 would be undefeated with that schedule. UCF would have 4 to 6 losses every year in the SEC.

Ohio State committed the sin of losing to a bad unranked team. They are probably just as good as Oklahoma at the moment, but the committee sees every game as part of the playoff and Ohio State already lost to an unseeded team.
"Agree"--to a certain point, but overall I just don't believe Sooners OR Buckeyes deserve to be in this edition of the CFP...No WAY they are among the 4 "Best Teams". As for "waiting til after today's games", in point of fact this may be the BEST time for us to step back and pronounce judgment: With Notre Dame NOT facing any sort of Championship/"extra data point"/risk-vs-style-points situation, one can clearly compare them to the rest based on all candidates' regular season performance and results: LOOKS like a pretty straight forward culling:
Throw out Oklahoma AND Ohio State NOW...Never mind all the BS that's been burning airtime and continues to do so even as we turn to our own such discussion here: I just don't see this seemingly "preordained" (really, in my view "canned") debate as anything but "window dressing". The order will depend on today's games plus the "politics" of that in-Committee version of that debate (THAT'S where any concern regarding some immediate "replay" can and will be addressed, btw)--but I cannot see ANY particular outcome or COMBINATION of outcomes in today's games can or SHOULD change this:
SOME combination of Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and Notre Dame.
Meanwhile, "College Gameday"s seasoned collection of "high profile image verifiers" (a term that has been coined to describe the recognizeable talking heads whose very presence on our screens announces the fact that a given game or event "is important and should be watched and followed closely!") carry on in their various roles, staking out their particular "territory of opinion and loyalties" in staunch (if predictable) fashion.
I suppose I could see myself joining in with more vitriol were our Gators involved in the supposed "outcome"...but I HOPE that if/when that time soon comes, I'll remember my insights and resulting stated-position here today and NOT get dragged into some paranoid, overly-defensive effort to somehow influence public pressure for a certain outcome.
In the final analysis, this is EXACTLY why, no matter one's opinion about it, like it or not there WILL, sooner or later, be an expansion in the number of teams in the CFP: It'll be worth MORE MONEY, for one thing (that sure won't get in the way!), but more than that, the more teams in it, the less debate about its ultimate "fairness": the teams NOT included further and further from "Best" in the first place--the ultimate "Shut the hell UP!--You shoulda..." (fill in whatever applies)...
That has to be BALANCED against the danger of devaluing the IMPORTANCE OF EACH GAME IN THE REGULAR SEASON, though: THAT is one of the unique features of the college game of football at the major college level.
I believe and agree that "the powers that be" are RIGHT to be VERY cautious, even hesitant, about that...For now, much as it irritates me in-process, I prefer all the frenzied "much-ado-about-NOTHING" escalatingly artificial "BUZZ" leading up to apparently not-conclusive-enough Conference Championship Games than any kneejerk reaction, one-weird-year-based rush to some "Expanded Playoff Format".
I just anticipate "MORE POLITICS" than "MORE FAIRNESS" immediately added to the whole deal, in that scenario.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Good News Oklahoma won, so they should get the last spot in the battle of the teams that lost title games against the Gators. However, if Bama loses...........

Escambia94

It is midnight, and nothing crazy happened in the conference championships. I think Oklahoma played itself into the #4 spot, Ohio State is #5, and Georgia is #6. There will still be arguments that Georgia could remain at #4, but I think those arguments will get lost in the noise.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good News Oklahoma won, so they should get the last spot in the battle of the teams that lost title games against the Gators. However, if Bama loses...........
It is midnight, and nothing crazy happened in the conference championships. I think Oklahoma played itself into the #4 spot, Ohio State is #5, and Georgia is #6. There will still be arguments that Georgia could remain at #4, but I think those arguments will get lost in the noise.
To me, as to Tebow and others postgame, UGA OUGHT to be in--They ARE, clearly, one of "the four best teams": WE already KNOW that the SEC is different, head and shoulders above the other Conferences, and Georgia just went out and PROVED BOTH (That the SEC is special AND that they are one of those "4 BEST") but instead of being rewarded for getting to the Championship Game and damn near beating the team EVERYONE agrees has been the yearlong, far and AWAY "Best in college football", they will likely be PUNISHED FOR IT. "It's their 2nd loss--they CAN'T be in!" many will whine loudly...
And for all their self-righteous claims to the contrary, these "Members of Committee" are likely about to go out and do ethical contortions publicly rationalizing their POLITICAL submission to powerful Conference officials and TV interests.
Shame on them, if/WHEN it comes to pass.

Escambia94

To me, as to Tebow and others postgame, UGA OUGHT to be in--They ARE, clearly, one of "the four best teams": WE already KNOW that the SEC is different, head and shoulders above the other Conferences, and Georgia just went out and PROVED BOTH (That the SEC is special AND that they are one of those "4 BEST") but instead of being rewarded for getting to the Championship Game and damn near beating the team EVERYONE agrees has been the yearlong, far and AWAY "Best in college football", they will likely be PUNISHED FOR IT. "It's their 2nd loss--they CAN'T be in!" many will whine loudly...
And for all their self-righteous claims to the contrary, these "Members of Committee" are likely about to go out and do ethical contortions publicly rationalizing their POLITICAL submission to powerful Conference officials and TV interests.
Shame on them, if/WHEN it comes to pass.

I think that phrase "4 best teams" is too hard to objectively define, and is misleading. The 4-team playoff is perfect, unless the entire FBS were were overhauled. In the current CFP we have learned that bad quality losses hurt.
  1. Alabama. 0 quality losses.
  2. Clemson. 0 quality losses.
  3. Notre Dame. 0 quality losses.
  4. Oklahoma. 1 quality loss to #14 Texas.
    • 3 quality wins over #14 Texas, #23 Iowa State, #16 West Virginia.
  5. Ohio State. 1 bad loss to unranked Purdue
    • 3 quality wins over #12 Penn State, #7 Michigan, #21 Northwestern
  6. Georgia. 2 quality losses to #1 Alabama and #10 LSU
    • 3 quality wins over #9 Florida, #14 Kentucky, #24 Missouri
  7. Michigan. 2 quality losses to #3 Notre Dame, #5 Ohio State.
    • 2 quality wins over #21 Northwestern, #12 Penn State
  8. UCF. 0 quality losses.
    • 0 quality wins. ZERO.
  9. Florida. 3 quality losses to #4 Georgia, #14 Kentucky #24 Missouri.
    • 2 quality wins over #10 LSU, #18 Mississippi State.
  10. LSU. 3 quality losses to #9 Florida, #1 Alabama, #19 Texas A&M.
    • 2 quality wins over #4 Georgia, #18 Mississippi State
There is the complete picture. Our eyes tell us that Georgia is one of the four best teams in America. They held a lead over #1 Alabama for 40 minutes. If we use the optics argument, then we begin to devalue the other 11 or 12 games and the story that evolves over those 3 months. This is why I do not like a tournament style playoff. Look at the NFL and MLB. Once your team makes the playoffs, they go into cruise control and teams no longer care about the score. The games get boring, because only the playoff qualifying games matter. In the FBS, every single game matters to the top 10 teams. For those top 10 teams, the playoff is basically single elimination. If multiple teams have one loss, then the quality of loss matters. As we can see, with a 4-team playoff we do not have to worry about justifying good losses against bad losses. In this case, Oklahoma gets into the top-4 because Ohio State loss to an unranked Purdue. Georgia is out because they have two losses. Everyone else in the top-6 other than Ohio State has 0 or 1 quality losses. That right there nullifies the common argument for expanded playoff.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think that phrase "4 best teams" is too hard to objectively define, and is misleading. The 4-team playoff is perfect, unless the entire FBS were were overhauled. In the current CFP we have learned that bad quality losses hurt.
  1. Alabama. 0 quality losses.
  2. Clemson. 0 quality losses.
  3. Notre Dame. 0 quality losses.
  4. Oklahoma. 1 quality loss to #14 Texas.
    • 3 quality wins over #14 Texas, #23 Iowa State, #16 West Virginia.
  5. Ohio State. 1 bad loss to unranked Purdue
    • 3 quality wins over #12 Penn State, #7 Michigan, #21 Northwestern
  6. Georgia. 2 quality losses to #1 Alabama and #10 LSU
    • 3 quality wins over #9 Florida, #14 Kentucky, #24 Missouri
  7. Michigan. 2 quality losses to #3 Notre Dame, #5 Ohio State.
    • 2 quality wins over #21 Northwestern, #12 Penn State
  8. UCF. 0 quality losses.
    • 0 quality wins. ZERO.
  9. Florida. 3 quality losses to #4 Georgia, #14 Kentucky #24 Missouri.
    • 2 quality wins over #10 LSU, #18 Mississippi State.
  10. LSU. 3 quality losses to #9 Florida, #1 Alabama, #19 Texas A&M.
    • 2 quality wins over #4 Georgia, #18 Mississippi State
There is the complete picture. Our eyes tell us that Georgia is one of the four best teams in America. They held a lead over #1 Alabama for 40 minutes. If we use the optics argument, then we begin to devalue the other 11 or 12 games and the story that evolves over those 3 months. This is why I do not like a tournament style playoff. Look at the NFL and MLB. Once your team makes the playoffs, they go into cruise control and teams no longer care about the score. The games get boring, because only the playoff qualifying games matter. In the FBS, every single game matters to the top 10 teams. For those top 10 teams, the playoff is basically single elimination. If multiple teams have one loss, then the quality of loss matters. As we can see, with a 4-team playoff we do not have to worry about justifying good losses against bad losses. In this case, Oklahoma gets into the top-4 because Ohio State loss to an unranked Purdue. Georgia is out because they have two losses. Everyone else in the top-6 other than Ohio State has 0 or 1 quality losses. That right there nullifies the common argument for expanded playoff.
Yes. At 9:45am Sunday morning it is time to face "the real world" and prepare to reenter that "imperfect world" we live in. The "realistic"/"facts-based" breakdown above lays it all out here, shows the way:
The "loser" in the SEC Championship Game will in most years be PUNISHED for playing in far and away The Best Conference In College Football. You'd LIKE to see that turned on its head every now and then: This is one of those years when an honest, beholden-to-NOone "Committee" would prove its mettle and include Georgia--because they deserve it!
But they won't. As Finebaum is making the point on ESPN right this moment, last night's loss was UGA's BEST MOMENT OF PROOF in their season that they belong in the final playoff. But the only way to do that and not have a 1st round REMATCH is to bump them to #3 for that loss--and that is (classic) "POLITICALLY UNTENABLE" for a "Committee" that clearly treads an eggshell-lined road in its very existence.
Thing is, this flies in the face of the very reason for HAVING this Committee in the first place. Their ignoring their own self righteous claims and choosing to support and ratify their own hypocracy, if squarely faced, can only be ultimately and properly responded to with their disolution in favor of an expanded playoff format that takes it OUT of ANYONE'S POLITICAL influence and/or false ethical claims...At least in THIS WAY a SORT of justice might prevail here, finally: Their own moral cowardice and misuse of appointed power is lost, abolished in response to the very misuse of that power that has ensued.
However, I am NOT necessarily a proponent of playoff expansion. The one thing that still separates Major College Football from all other fan-centric sports is HOW MUCH EACH GAME MEANS, throughout the season. We do NOT want to lose that: Add too many teams and games to some big-numbers cash-fest AFTER that season plays out and (while you mostly eliminate the "problem" we are concerned with here--whether a deserving participant is being unfairly eliminated OFF THE FIELD) you soften the fatal MEANING of each regular season game. Do we WANT our league's distinction as "Better than Y'ALL!" to be lost in favor of "more teams in, most years"? Do we wanna join "all the rest" out there, where the whole IDEA is simply "to get IN", into "the Real Party" at the end. Not me. I don't even hardly FOLLOW the NFL anymore during the regular Season. Haven't watched a whole NBA reg season game in DECADES. And I don't know ANYONE who follows any other College sports team BUT football on a game-by-game basis. And so on.
No. I say, "Be careful: DO NOT mess with the 'Saturday: Live or Die" nature of EACH NCAA in-season Major College Football Game". When it comes to any decision affecting that, best to err on the side of caution.
The "tower of Babel" goes on over there on my big screen, the "moment of (questionable) TRUTH" now fast approaching. All the predictable bs pouring forth from all the by now predictable sources. It is amazing to me how certain individuals come to be virtual shills for power interests. There's a lot of money and job-related prestige attached to and/or entangled among all of this; I cannot help but think of that while certain of these individuals pound away loudly and repeatedly on spurious arguments as to "what the Committee MUST do!" , and I can't be the ONLY one who is long since sick of the whole deal--and that goes double, QUADRUPLE for those two complete IDIOTS between the moderator and Paul Finebaum...I (somewhat purposefully) forget the name of this brush-cutted doofus (directly beside the modererator--(MacElroy!) he is an Urban Meyer/Ohio State syncophant...has that morning show with Marcus, whom I DO like and WISH was here instead...at least we'd have a lighter-hearted, less polarized discussion in advance of what will CERTAINLY be a "controversial" decision)--and that mohawked ignoramus doesn't belong there at ALL...Instead, as it is we have a panel of Yapping Heads dominated by corporate apologists. They are "Money Mouthpieces"; only Finebaum is there with a knowledgeable AND heartfelt POV.
In the end, this supposed "underlying tie-breaker point" concerning the "value of the Conference Championship" will be the Committee's "safe OUT". Never MIND that this effectively makes the SEC Championship Game a PRE-Playoff ELIMINATION GAME. We'd be better off from a strategic, aim-for-the-POST-Season standpoint to ELIMINATE our own once-groundbreaking SEC Championship Game. But we won't do that--rightly, since we DO stand PROUDLY "alone and ABOVE" the rest. So the ONLY way to someday make this "FAIR" is to somehow reorganize the OTHER Conferences to make THEIR Championships "Elimination Games" too.
Until then, this is just the latest "imperfect resolution in an imperfect world". Too much money, prestige and POWERFUL INTERESTS are involved to see a "fair and logical" resolution anytime soon.
Jesse Palmer just came in at the end and summed up the "sane and even-handed" argument nicely--and all the rest except Finebaum now condescendingly dismiss his starkly in-opposition and contrasting-in-its-intelligence statement.
Sooners in at #4--sadly, I think. If Ohio State--COMPLETE travesty.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And so THERE IT IS...
It's interesting, isn't it?
Notre Dame is REWARDED for its "proud independence" in NOT joining a Conference and/or thereby not having to play in a Conference Championship game, while GEORGIA (and anyone ELSE in th e SEC to come) is PUNISHED for playing in (and damn near beating #1) in THEIR Conference Championship.
"Fair"?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
GEEZ. Listening to/watching this "Committee-Guy", this GRAY MAN blandly rationalizing his and their "safe way OUT of contoversy" reminds me of a corporate lawyer making his case in defending a company directly responsible for a deadly and longterm toxic spill.
Aw, to hell with all this yakety yak.
One day soon WE will be part of such "discussion"--HOPEFULLY at least IN it a year from now...but I anticipate no more real PLEASURE in it then--BESIDES bein' glad to BE there.
Lets just GET there, hunker down, and then just shut up and KEEP ON WINNING.
"NUKE 'EM FROM ORBIT: IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE..."
Sound familiar? Know what I'm saying?

Escambia94

I do not use the term "fair" in anything unless there is cotton candy and roller coasters involved. Yes, it was appropriate for Oklahoma to get that 4th CFP spot, and it was appropriate for Notre Dame to get that 3rd spot. It would be different if UGA were undefeated going into their match with Alabama and they got their first loss. It is reasonable for the top three undefeated teams in real schedules (not you, UCF) to get the first three spots. It is reasonable for the top 1-loss team, Oklahoma, to get that next spot.

To sum it up, this is all Georgia's fault for losing to LSU. Sure, they might be the 3rd or 4th-best team in the nation, but the way the CFP works is that *every* game counts. Not every team gets the chance avenge a loss like Oklahoma, but sometimes fate plays into the situation.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do not use the term "fair" in anything unless there is cotton candy and roller coasters involved. Yes, it was appropriate for Oklahoma to get that 4th CFP spot, and it was appropriate for Notre Dame to get that 3rd spot. It would be different if UGA were undefeated going into their match with Alabama and they got their first loss. It is reasonable for the top three undefeated teams in real schedules (not you, UCF) to get the first three spots. It is reasonable for the top 1-loss team, Oklahoma, to get that next spot.

To sum it up, this is all Georgia's fault for losing to LSU. Sure, they might be the 3rd or 4th-best team in the nation, but the way the CFP works is that *every* game counts. Not every team gets the chance avenge a loss like Oklahoma, but sometimes fate plays into the situation.
I don't disagree; They SHOULDA beat LSU. SHOULDN'T have lost that (or ANY) game if they meant to avoid getting passed over as a result of just yesterday's scenario.
Here in the SEC the "EVERY GAME" mantra is REAL: We all understand and appreciate it, too. In our league, where going undefeated is so difficult, it is a given that if/when you DO lose along the way you damn well better not let it happen TWICE--including the Conference Championship. Might well have turned out differently had that been UGA's FIRST loss, after all.
So even the "Fair?" question is arguable.
"It is what it IS."
WE have yet to complete even ONE regular season undefeated--It's especially difficult in OUR league, and in the first of Urban Meyer-led Championship years ('06) it was our one LOSS to MSU (somewhat shocking, much like UGA's loss this year to LSU) that in truth (with Tebow's "Promise") propelled us forward to our eventual steamrolling triumph in the then-BCS Title Game...Under THIS system perhaps we never even GET INTO the CFP that year. But you play the schedule you have, in the context of the SYSTEM you are a part of.
It helps to have someone like a "Tim Tebow" leading your team and in the public eye--but such are "rare", to say the least.
This is how things are here and now. We had best bear that in mind, plan and build accordingly--and REMEMBER THAT when the time comes. I believe that in Dan Mullen we now have a COACH for whom that is ALWAYS "part of the equation", something he considers and "factors into" every move he makes, every player he goes after, the way these are brought in and brought ALONG, and the tactics and timing of everything we then eventually SEE ON THE FIELD any given Saturday. Maybe coaches in OTHER Conferences can get away with a less detailed, obsessively "macro/micro" approach, but it is Coach MULLEN'S way regardless. He shares that general outlook and process with Saban--and it is the very way that is expressed in such different ways, with completely different effect on and around their respective programs, that makes their ultimate future head-to-head meeting(s)-to-come as Champ and Challenger so well-anticipated--and potentially so interesting, (and not just among SEC fans).

Escambia94

Since we are beating a dead horse until the committee releases the bowl projections, and we already know the answer tot the question in the original post (Oklahoma), let us apply what we have learned to next year. Here is the schedule for next year, with my way-too-early rankings inserted. I assume Florida will enter the 2019 season ranked at #14. Florida will know what its CFP situation looks like before Labor Day. This year's CFP tells us that we cannot lose a game without winning the conference, especially if we can erase the loss by beating the team in a rematch. If Florida looks good against Miami, then we have to avenge the loss to Kentucky, keep Tennessee at bay, and use the "bye week" against Towson to be prepared for the always-tough Auburn before traveling to Baton Rouge. That could be a tough stretch. Assuming we survive those two gauntlets, we have a very angry FSU to take care of. Typically we learn a lot about FSU by playing Miami, so that first game in August becomes very important.

2019 Florida Football Schedule
Date Opponent Location
August 31 #8 Miami Orlando, Fla.
September 7 UT Martin Gainesville, Fla.
September 14 #23 Kentucky Lexington, Ky.
September 21 Tennessee Gainesville, Fla.
September 28 Towson Gainesville, Fla.
October 5 #15 Auburn Gainesville, Fla.
October 12 #8 LSU Baton Rouge, La.
October 19 South Carolina Columbia, S.C.
October 26 BYE
November 2 #4 Georgia Jacksonville, Fla.
November 9 Vanderbilt Gainesville, Fla.
November 16 Missouri Columbia, Mo.
November 23 BYE
November 30 #25 Florida State Gainesville, Fla.
December 7 SEC Championship Atlanta, Ga.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema