• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Ohio State prediction time

News Bot

News Bot
After being around Will Muschamp and the Gators all week in Jacksonville, I’m very tempted to say that Florida’s football turnaround will begin in the Gator Bowl. But there’s one thing preventing me from going that far. That lousy offense than cannot sustain drives or score points.
I do think that the Gators will be a much better team in 2012. We’re just going to have to wait until September to see the improvement.
This 2011 team is what it is, regardless who calls the plays or who the Gators are playing or where they’re playing.
UF certainly is good enough to beat an Ohio State team whose offense is every bit as inept as the Gators. The big difference is OSU quarterback Braxton Miller. He’s a true freshman who has struggled at times, but he can be a game-changer with his ability to turn negative plays into big plays with his athletic ability and strong (if not always accurate) arm.
The Gators really don’t have a game changer on offense, and it’s one of the reasons the offense has been mired in a slump since the fifth game of the season.
Florida’s defense has gotten better over the course of the season and has a great deal of confidence after holding Florida State to less than 100 total yards in the season finale. The defense will keep the Gators in this game.
The offense, however, is not good enough to win it. It’s been the story of this six-loss season.
Prediction: Ohio State 13, Florida 10.

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yeah, unless one of the young freshman quarterbacks picks Monday to "break out", I doubt even a creative game plan on offense, making better use of the tools we have that WEREN'T used by Weis, will change things much.
Agree it will otherwise be a low-scoring defensive battle. Still, hope springs eternal and all that, so I still hold out that one spark, the possibility that in addition to a defense already beginning to come into its own, a different "acting OC" with little to lose and an offense that is mostly healthy for the first time since September, with speed AND power that were never used properly together by our now-former OC, that maybe, just maybe, we COULD get a glimpse of "next year".

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I'm hoping for a surprise like the 2006 title game however the 2006 offense was much better than the last two years (possibly 2009 as well). Both teams suck but I said the Gators in a close one. Plus I Really don't want the see those Suckeyes win the game.

awebbf5

VIP Member
Really think we lose again, but I hope that maybe our guys will suit up and take pride in putting that orange and blue on and blast those buckeyes. This really is a must win game but as bad as I hate to say it OSU 21 FLA 9. Go Gators

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
If you have read through my posts before, you know I love statistical analysis. Here it is:

Overall. Even when you put aside the Urban Meyer side story, it makes sense to match these teams up. They are nearly statistically identical. Florida's offense is ranked #102; tOSU's is ranked #107. Florida's defense is ranked #9; tOSU's is ranked #24. The difference here is that tOSU's offense has been playing without one of its key playmakers for much of the year. The spark that would have raised their offensive output will be active against Florida, so I give the advantage on offense to tOSU. The hidden variable here is that tOSU has a signature win over #9 Wisconsin, a team that has the #15 offense and #8 defense. Florida has no such signature win. Advantage: Ohio State.

Offense. Florida has a decided advantage over tOSU in the passing game, believe it or not, but that may be due to the Bucknuts missing a key player. tOSU has a scary rushing attack that centers on the quarterback, and Florida has just plain sucked at containing running quarterbacks. Just going by the numbers, Florida's offense averages 5.46 yards per play--7.5 yards per pass and 4.01 yards per rush. tOSU's offense averages 5.13 yards per play, 6.7 yards per pass, 4.47 yards per rush. Advantage: Ohio State.

Defense. The Bucknut defense, ranked at #24, is middle of the pack, so I give the 9th-ranked Gator defense a decided advantage. Florida must contain tOSU QB Braxton Miller and dare him to throw in order to win this game. Florida's defense does its job in slowing down powerful opponents, especially in the running game. Advantage: Florida.

Intangibles. If I had to compare Florida to a Big Ten opponent that tOSU has faced, I would use Penn State. Penn State beat Ohio State 20-14 using a similarly ranked offense and defense. PSU also has one common opponent with the Gators, the Alabama Crimson Tide. PSU lost to Bama 11-27. Florida lost to Bama 10-38, but was considered by many to be in the game until Brantley was hurt. If I had to compare tOSU to an SEC team that Florida has faced, I would use Vanderbilt. Vandy and tOSU are similarly ranked statistically, but the Bucknuts lack a common SEC opponent for better comparison. If Vandy really is the SEC equivalent to tOSU, then we can expect a close game until the Gator defense figures out any changes in the Bucknut offense from their earlier games. Advantage: Florida.

What logic tells me: Ohio State 21, Florida 17. What my heart tells me: Florida 17, Ohio State 10.

miltongator

Gator Fan
Sad to say, but I give UF very little chance of pulling out a victory today. Just read where Brantley said nothing was changed on the offense and the same "system" is in place
"We're running the same exact offense....it's been spot-on and we trust it" WHAT???? We are in deep $h_t. Our only chance is to "out field goal" them.
Prediction: Gators 6, OSU 17.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, we didn't get that "glimpse of next year" I was hoping for, but I notice where IA and tk13 hit the final score pretty close--especially tk13...
Frankly, the final score actually makes sense, for a change--we are BETTER than the final score shows, in relation to tOSU, and our offense damn near managed to give the thing away anyhow. This time, though, a 2nd special teams-TD, a LOT fewer penalties, and not TOO many other dumb screw-ups made JUST enough difference to allow us to win a "close one" that SHOULDN'T have been that close in the first place. Had we managed something similar more often this past season, we're probably a 10-win team, rather than BARELY avoiding a losing season. Had we had even an AVERAGE offense (you know, ranked in the high 30s--mediocre rather than lousy) to go with THAT, and who knows?--maybe we're in one of the BCS Bowls. At the least, we probably lose the SEC Championship and take South Carolina's place in the Top Ten to end the year.
I say all this because it shows we could be quite a bit better NEXT year with just some tweaks in depth, self-discipline and fairly modest improvements across-the-board: the new OC does NOT have to produce miracles his first year, just the first steps towards competency and efficiency.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I did not expect to get a preview of next year, other than not sticking both 175 pound running backs in the same personnel grouping. What I did see is that we are hurting for receivers, no matter who the quarterback is. I might even be desperate enough to make both Trey Burton and Tyler Murphy both into receivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema