• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 9: Florida Gators 17, Georgia Bulldogs 36 10/27/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Saturday Oct 27, 2018 at 3:30 PM ET
TIAA Bank Field - Jacksonville, Florida. Georgia is favored by 7.

#9 Florida is averaging 34.4 points per game and holding opponents to 16.6. #7 Georgia is averaging 39.0 points per game and holding opponents to 16.3.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GatorsFB/status/1054152657991016448?s=19
[/TWEET]

5 Recent Matchups

• Georgia 42, Florida 7 October 28, 2017
  • Georgia 10, Florida 24 October 29, 2016
  • Georgia 3, Florida 27 October 31, 2015
  • Georgia 20, Florida 38 November 1, 2014
  • Georgia 23, Florida 20 November 2, 2013
96 meetings: Georgia leads, 51-43-2

Last edited:

Escambia94

Florida 2018 Leaders

• Feleipe Franks QB 103/182, 1406 yards, 15 TD, 5 Int
  • Jordan Scarlett RB 70 att, 381 yds, 3 TD
  • Van Jefferson WR 19 rec, 265 yds, 4 TD
  • Jachai Polite DL 7 sacks, 26 tackles, 9 tfl
  • Brad Stewart DB 2 int, 25 yds, 1 TD
Georgia 2018 Leaders

• Jake Fromm QB 99/148, 1409 yards, 13 TD, 4 Int
  • Elijah Holyfield RB 65 att, 488 yds, 4 TD
  • Mecole Hardman WR 24 rec, 358 yds, 4 TD
  • D'Andre Walker LB 5 sacks, 19 tackles, 6 tfl
  • Deandre Baker DB 2 int, 81 yds, 0 TD

Escambia94

First-year coaches at Florida are 7-2 in the WLOCP.

1960: (Graves) Florida 22, Georgia 14
1970: (Dickey) Florida 24, Georgia 17

1979: (Pell) Georgia 33, Florida 10
1984: (Hall) Florida 27, Georgia 0
1990: (Spurrier) Florida 38, Georgia 7
2002: (Zook) Florida 20, Georgia 13
2005: (Meyer) Florida 14, Georgia 10

2011: (Muschamp) Georgia 24, Florida 20
2015: (McElwain) Florida 27, Georgia 3

Average score over that span: Florida 22.4, Georgia 13.4.

Escambia94

It has been 37.8 years since Georgia has clinched a national title. The median age in the US happens to be 37.8, which means most Americans were not born the last time Georgia won a national championship!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Harry Truman once famously declared, "There are lies, DAMN lies, and Statistics."
Somehow, the whole numbers/percentages predictive modes in modern college football have crossed a line, gotten ridiculously out of control this season...It crept up on us, but at this point for example we have found ourselves with a computer ranking system that somehow has CLEMSON as the "top-ranked"--as in "most likely to win the CFB"--team over Alabama, 84% to 82%.
Now, statistics can, in many cases ARE wonderful analytic tools that offer deep, calculable insights into what coaches, players, TEAMS have been doing--and what prospective opponents CAN do to exploit it. How that plays out can well-predict how those confrontations turn out.
But when it comes to simply reading "what we the fans have seen", "what our team might do against a particular opponent", and/or "what'll be the likeliest outcome", well, the more general the ultimate resolution one is trying to read and predict, the more it won't be "the stats" but "The EYE TEST", the totality of what we've seen and all the various situational details all have witnessed--not just the final scores but how they GOT that way--that will tell us in our GUTS who is the best at what.
So, I ask ANYONE who isn't a terminal homer, "Who's been BY FAR the best team this season in NCAA Football?"
No one has to say it, we all know. Which is my point here. Going to the FFF (Football Final Four) this year means having a loss in your final game--likely a rather lopsided one--unless you play for the Tide.
In fact, this is a very strange year, in which I predict that AT LEAST one team (maybe more) that DOESN'T make it into the playoff round instead will play in one of the old now-mainly-"Prestige" Bowls (Orange, Sugar, Rose or even Cotton) over the holidays around New Years (and still widely watched and enjoyed nationally)--and one or two of the winners from these will finish THEIR season(s) with an impressive win that lands them HIGHER in the final National Rankings than at least one, perhaps SEVERAL of those teams that ended THEIR seasons going to what turned out to seem in retrospect their "inevitable executions" in the playoffs.
Like I said: A weird season, all around.
And in that vein, in a season where NO ONE but our own @Escambia94, saw it coming, our new Head Coach, with the same QB took virtually the same roster that went 4-and-8 last season to a Top 10 ranking entering the Cocktail Party, part of the playoff CONVERSATION at least, and a chance to truly "arrive early on the national scene" with a win. But few give us much chance: Watch the CFB shows on ESPN, "Big Game of the week", but they all assume a Bulldogs win.
So: What are our chances? I expect there are a number of different answers, from a number of different angles, using a number of different approaches--running the gamut from gut-level intuitive impression to statistical analysis. I have my own ideas--and they arise from both of the above perspectives--and maybe that's why I just can't get a solid read on this one at the moment. I KNOW we are not "there" yet--not even CLOSE to where Coach Mullen is aiming and I strongly, thoroughly BELIEVE he will take us in the years ahead--in fact, I am so excited to realize he doesn't have anywhere NEAR the tools he needs and WILL have, and yet has managed this much with so relatively "little": We are gonna get there even sooner than I'd HOPED. Still, as I say, we aren't anywhere near "there" yet. But we ARE "here" now: Can we win THIS one, finish strong for a thrilling, amazing "first step"? What will it take?
I'll wait to say a lot of what I think, feel and/or hope in response to y'all's thoughts here--but I will say this much right here and now:
Of all the various things anyone can say about our strengths so far, our improvements and our weaknesses, the one person upon whom obviously so much of our clear improvement on offense has depended upon HIS improvement has of course been Fillipe Franks. With the help and guidance of our Head Coach, Franks has taken great and steady strides; but he will somehow HAVE to take another enormous step forward for this one.
I don't know that our Coach, "QB-Whisperer" or no, can do much more than point the way here: For what Fillipe I believe will have to find and begin to incorporate as a regular part of his game now is DOWNFIELD ACCURACY. With that, everything opens up for us on offense: We pop a coupla long ones that way early, maybe jump on them with a couple of explosive plays for touchdowns in the first quarter--and we can run away with this thing. But even just hitting ONE fairly early, showing we can DO it, and the whole complexion of this game changes. They are gonna pack the box, try and strangle our running and short passing game--DARE Franks to "beat us with that questionably accurate arm of yours, kid..." If he shows he might have one after all, they'll be back on their heels: as happens sometimes, it'll be a challenge--and an OPPORTUNITY.
Of course, Mullen sees that. But accuracy, of all things, is not something you just "add over the by-week". Either our QB has more of it than he's shown and our Head Coach and staff are somehow successful in an ongoing behind-the-scenes effort to bring it out, some combination of practice, mind/emotion adjustment, play-design and selection that, properly timed, manifests itself as "the right play at the right time, properly executed", and in turn leads to big scores that also force scrambling (and exploitable) readjustment in the opponents' defensive scheme.
Otherwise we put this too much on the defense, I'm afraid, who eventually get worn down in an otherwise valient effort--a game perhaps close until late--but like I always say: I don't BELIEVE in "moral victories", especially against UGA. Had our hearts ripped out too many times over the years: If we did it to them 50 times in a row it wouldn't be enough for me now.
So now's the time and this is the place:
Tell me your thoughts on how we win THIS ONE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Addendum to my post above:

...On the OTHER hand, when I listen to these fools blather on during the various CFB shows (ESPECIALLY for example the kinds of extreme homerisms from guys like that proudly ignorant bayou bigmouth, "Marty" on College Football Now, etc.--I mean, he's all over the place it seems, his loud LSU-boosting souring my morning coffee on a daily basis of late...Golic and his Notre Dame bs is almost as bad--but at least he regularly acknowledges his extreme bias), I am repeatedly reminded of the DANGERS inherent in "subjective analysis", that whether they are as obvious about it or not there are just WAY too many ignoramae who are at the very least SHAPING THE DISCUSSION, let alone outright directly VOTING in the ultimate decision as to who sits where at the end: THAT'S where the advantages of STATISTICS as "objective analytical tools" that, ideally, offer a means my which a fair and UNEMOTIONAL conclusion might be reached.
The catch of course is that word, " ideally": Things are seldom "ideal", least of all when it comes to human rationale and resulting decisions. What "numbers" are focused on, what they mean and how the stats they lead to are framed and USED to support a particular point-of-view all too often ends up being a determinent of a supposed conclusion every bit as much as the openly emotional arguments are--except the NUMBERS are PRESENTED as "objective" somehow.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm hoping for a win but well it's going to be tough.
Part of finding ANY optimism here I think rests on not paying undue attention to what "they" are saying on the sports talk shows and assorted sites out there...I mean, you'll note that among all the overblown trumpeting of LSU's teflon-coated season, our WIN over them is being basically ignored: it is apparently INCONVENIENT, at least to the discussion they wish to have and how they prefer to frame it. One MORE reason I would SO enjoy a win here--as if any of US needed another.
No, granted: I'm honestly having a tough tine getting a read on this one too...
I want so badly to see us somehow pull one out here that I have to admit that any real "objectivity" seems impossible. So at this point it comes down to this:
I know we'll have to play our best game defensively, our offense do enough to run some clock and let that defense get some rest alomg the way, AND in particular Franks and his receivers are able to hook up on at least 2 or 3 explosive plays downfield: To that end, I think we can look for Mullen and Co. to come up with some schemes and in particular a few new "wrinkles" that hopefully at the very least add uncertainty to the Bulldogs' defensive approach. But without one or two successful connections there, it will come down to whether we can carry on our propensity (seen in all but the one loss, in the UK game) for taking the ball away, rather than GIVING it away as we did that one game.
All in all, best I can say is "WE'VE GOT A SHOT..."--and just sit there on the edge of our seats and watch it unfold come Saturday.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(BTW: I apologize for sticking this in here on our "GAMEDAY"-thread, but it's Thursday and while typing in the above post I'm watching the latest installment of "CFB Live"--and listening to these "Urban Meyer-synchophants" (Paul Finebaum's description--Paul's the one host with eyes, brains and guts, though maybe a bit more patience and good nature than some of his dumbass callers-in deserve) pour out their hand-wringing pleas of "How can they be talking about his being on any sort of 'HotSeat' after just one loss? One of the best Coaches in the country for YEARS, and suddenly they are talking about 'friction behind the scenes', 'want him gone'--it's RIDICULOUS!!!", and so on...
Hey you blind, deaf and dumb FOOLS:
It ISN'T about the "one loss", and it sure as HELL isn't "suddenly". But I don't have to go down that road, shouldn't HAVE to walk y'all THRU it in the first place: This isn't about any one particular game--though what (an actual LOSS, finally), who (Purdue?), how (big, ugly), and when (just last Saturday) has finally "opened the door" to a more public discussion to what has been brewing "below regular discussion" all along--and SHOULD have been out there before now (if not for guys like YOU, with this "NO! YOU CAN'T SAY THAT--Don't even TALK about it, you ingrates!"--yes, they got that worked up about the very IDEA that "there are questions" about Urban Meyer now, even in Buckeye country). This is about MORE than just what's been happening on the field--and trying to bury it all long as they were undefeated has ALWAYS been part of the problem...But it has been that very general attitude that has led to his various similar "Houses of Cards" collapsing before: He ends up doing it to HIMSELF, and it is happening again. Like so many, the fans and boosters of the Ohio State Poison Nuts most of all, they have been and still are mainly in complete denial...but we can see "the beginning of the end" now, recognize it in Meyers' own behavior--because out here folks like us HAVE SEEN IT BEFORE:
To their fans AND the suck-ups that populate so much of Sports Entertainment (I can't, WON'T call it "journalism"): One way or another, in spite of y'all's "Say it ain't SO, Urb!" seemingly willful blindness and naivite, Urban himself is maneuvering himself into another one of his "No mas! No mas!" surrenders, hidden again behind his "Oh, it's my health..." cop outs, and the team, fans, players and administration he will be leaving behind's various scrambling cover stories trying to explain and make the best of what will in truth be another mess no one really wants to have to even admit to, let alone face and deal with in an honest, straight forward way.
Again--Sorry, prob belonged elsewhere, but they were doing it again IN MY FACE and ears right there, right now as I was thinking/writing HERE, now...
MAN, I am sick of that guy--and sick to death of the very attitude these folks are once again selling now, the very one that has perpetuated the same cycle of lies and let downs again and again...)

Escambia94

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/AllKindsWeather/status/1055930234522996738?s=19
[/TWEET]
Screenshot_20181026-165203.png

Escambia94

Actually, it's Jamie Erdahl, not Allie LaForce.

CBS must have swapped Jamie in when SEC Network and ESPN College Gameday announced they were coming. Regardless, I will be muting the TV and listening to Mick Hubert on WRUF.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was a great season for the Gators (well except in the last game).
Wonder what the "tail gating" was like for THAT ONE: Mainly Model T's, tail end of "The Jazz Age"/"Roaring 20's", so every BIT a party that little doubt rivaled our debauchery in the 70's, when I was there...by then MAY even have been directly affected by PROHIBITION--and when I say "affected", I of course mean "made the weekend wilder STILL": In a classic demo of "unintended consequences", of how and WHY the emotional application of political idealism in attempts to legislate civil behavior is "misguided", at BEST (and historically has led to the OPPOSITE EFFECTS as its purveyors had supposedly intended--in the case of both general behavior AND as an opening to organized crime, disasterously so).
But there I go--somehow finding a way to rain on OUR parade. SORRY:
PARTY ON, GATORS!
Don't know if they do this anymore, but when I was there, at least one of my undergrad years there I was able to partake of a "full package" that, with my Student Activities card and a very reasonable basic fee, included a wild train-ride in Gator-festooned coach cars overpacked with us well-lubricated fans the morning of the game: the party having started back on the platform before boarding and basically just flowing OFF train, out of near-Gator Bowl terminus platform and into the Gator side of G-Bowl...SEEMED like I was never more than 50 ft from a keg that weekend, even in the stadium (different times: for eg, it was said back in those days that on a "normal Saturday" on campus for a home game, you could stand downwind from Florida Field and the smell of "sens" was so strong that in a few minutes you might catch a buzz!--and, "The student side has its cloud, the alumnae side its Chivas Regal fumes!"...you get the picture).
As for THE GAME, well, as I say, my mounting superstitiosness has me in a particular Gator shirt (having gone up to my storage locker last night to dig it out)--but beyond that mainly NOT TALKING ABOUT IT: If you're not SURE of "what I/we SHOULD do that might "help", and having NO idea how it all might play out at this point, it just seems best to DO NOTHING that might inadvertantly "collapse the wave form", "peak in Shroeder's Box", affect an unforeseeable outcome in quantum "fiddling"...In other words: SHUT THE F UP, DRU!--Just follow along , try and stick to "the facts" along the way...and
GO GATORS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema