• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 6: #22 Florida Gators 27 vs #5 LSU Tigers 19, October 6, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
You Mean LAURA RUTLEDGE? She's a UF Alum over crying out loud. Don't compare to that other woman. Fun fact I actually took a pic with her (Rutledge). I'm surprised she's still doing the show and sideline duties considering that ESPN gave her duties on Sportscenter and Get Up.
That was embarrassing. I fixed the error. Laura Rutledge.

Escambia94

As for the game, Franks needs to more accurate (what's else is new?) I'm surprised they won the game with him going 12 of 27.

Franks is what he is: a limited QB that Dan Mullen is going to adapt his offense around. Dan Mullen has notified the spread option/ zone read offense to existing talent as OC at Utah, OC at Florida and HC/OC at Mississippi State on a few occasions: 2004 Alex Smith and Brian Johnson, 2005 Chris Leak and Josh Portis, 2006 Chris Leak and Tim Tebow, 2009 Tyson Lee and Chris Relf, and 2012 Tyler Russell and Dak Prescott. This year it is Feleipe Franks and Kadarius Toney. In those transition years that I mentioned, Mullen has limited his spread option zone read (SOZR) playbook and given some of those plays to another player--a backup QB or a RB or WR who can run additional SOZR plays that the starting QB cannot run. Some of those limited QBs were actually good QBs, such as Alex Smith and Chris Leak, but they were limited different ways. Mullen finds those limitations and augments those abilities with another player. In some cases the athlete improves. Alex Smith improved from a 50% passer to a 65% passer and #1 NFL draft pick. Dak Prescott improved from 60% to 67%. Chris Leak remained at 62% completion at 8 yards per attempt, but his overall yardage dropped from 3,000 to 2,000. On the other hand, Tyson Lee and Tyler Russell peaked with Mullen as their coach and they found it hard to succeed anywhere else in the NFL or CFL.

Franks will remain a 55% passer, but under Mullen his yards per attempt have increased from 7 to 8 (Chris Leak level). Kadarius Toney adds almost 10 yards per attempt on the ground or in the air in those plays where Franks cannot execute. In "limited mode" Mullen's SOZR offense is basically everyone else's RPO offense with new language and some option thrown in until athletes like Toney, Prescott, Relf, Portis, Johnson, and Tebow are thrown in. Some of those pocket/ RPO QBs remain as RPO QBs (Leak, Lee, and Russell), and some turn into SOZR QBs who can also run RPOs (Smith, Johnson, Tebow, Prescott).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You Mean LAURA RUTLEDGE? She's a UF Alum over crying out loud. Don't compare to that other woman. Fun fact I actually took a pic with her (Rutledge). I'm surprised she's still doing the show and sideline duties considering that ESPN gave her duties on Sportscenter and Get Up.
LOL...OK, honest mistake...Thing is, broadcast personalities of both genders are more and more INUNDATING the pro-ranks on THAT side of the camera too.
Look, "everyone ELSE": We are a healthy, handsome bunch down in Fla...Smart AND pretty--and well-schooled to high standards, whatever our respective "Majors".
And we are EVERYWHERE.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
As for the game, Franks needs to more accurate (what's else is new?) I'm surprised they won the game with him going 12 of 27.
Franks is what he is: a limited QB that Dan Mullen is going to adapt his offense around. Dan Mullen has notified the spread option/ zone read offense to existing talent as OC at Utah, OC at Florida and HC/OC at Mississippi State on a few occasions: 2004 Alex Smith and Brian Johnson, 2005 Chris Leak and Josh Portis, 2006 Chris Leak and Tim Tebow, 2009 Tyson Lee and Chris Relf, and 2012 Tyler Russell and Dak Prescott. This year it is Feleipe Franks and Kadarius Toney. In those transition years that I mentioned, Mullen has limited his spread option zone read (SOZR) playbook and given some of those plays to another player--a backup QB or a RB or WR who can run additional SOZR plays that the starting QB cannot run. Some of those limited QBs were actually good QBs, such as Alex Smith and Chris Leak, but they were limited different ways. Mullen finds those limitations and augments those abilities with another player. In some cases the athlete improves. Alex Smith improved from a 50% passer to a 65% passer and #1 NFL draft pick. Dak Prescott improved from 60% to 67%. Chris Leak remained at 62% completion at 8 yards per attempt, but his overall yardage dropped from 3,000 to 2,000. On the other hand, Tyson Lee and Tyler Russell peaked with Mullen as their coach and they found it hard to succeed anywhere else in the NFL or CFL.

Franks will remain a 55% passer, but under Mullen his yards per attempt have increased from 7 to 8 (Chris Leak level). Kadarius Toney adds almost 10 yards per attempt on the ground or in the air in those plays where Franks cannot execute. In "limited mode" Mullen's SOZR offense is basically everyone else's RPO offense with new language and some option thrown in until athletes like Toney, Prescott, Relf, Portis, Johnson, and Tebow are thrown in. Some of those pocket/ RPO QBs remain as RPO QBs (Leak, Lee, and Russell), and some turn into SOZR QBs who can also run RPOs (Smith, Johnson, Tebow, Prescott).
The problem, AND the difference under Mullen, is what this season has been all about. Or rather, as it turns out, how QUICKLY it has taken hold and turned the RESULTS around.
But now, let us HOPE that at least for the moment, GRANTHAM is content as DC--'cause he has our depleted D playing near its peak-potential, and has been dialed IN as far as pregame prep and gameplans. He has GOT to be given much credit for how FAST we have already been able to shift our focus from simply "changing the mindset and culture" to "getting better every week and BEATING everyone in the SEC"...Together, our Head Coach and DC are poised to accomplish everything they, and WE hoped they might when they took the jobs and came in here--and later, looking back, they will SEE it ALL as the most fun and satisfying times of their respective lives and careers.
So to them, and to US:
Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Enjoy the whole PROCESS, the ups and downs, the struggle and eventual triumph over difficulty and setback. "The Promise" never HAPPENS without that terrible, frustrating loss (one we deserved--a painful "slow death" afternoon in The Swamp if there ever WAS one) to MSU that preceded it--and all the joy that followed!
To all Gators--Coaches, Players , and Fans:
"DON'T DRINK THE MEDIA COOL AID."
In fact, prob best to at least TRY to minimize how much attention is paid to ANY of that stuff. None of it can help us--for the team, only distraction. For the fans, only dissatisfaction.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator

I've been mulling over this clear, tight and realistic analysis that matches Mullen's overall tactical philosophy with the various ways he has flexibly applied/evolved it to fit the particular hand he has been dealt personel-wise over the years, in different situations. You imply enormous credit to his results--and I will ADD the (hopeful) observation that these tactical formulae have and WILL CONTINUE TO evolve into a full-on strategic plan; with the more personal and direct control he will have over the actual "tools" (the personnel that comprise those "hands dealt") as Head Coach, I think we will see a more coherent coalescing of "parts that fit the whole" to form a powerful expression of our Coach's long considered plans made real.
Already he has a young (VERY young) and inexperienced QB sitting on the bench (3rd on our depth chart--and only THERE "just in case"--otherwise always a definite redshirt THIS year), Emory Jones, who by all the signs fits the requirements of that future-amalgamation of Mullen's evolving version of, well, for now lets call it something like "The Power Spread-", or "Pinball/HEADBUTT"-Offense...Maybe "Pick Your Poison" sums it up best (it basically invites a defense to do just that!)--but regardless, it requires a certain kind of QB, with the right size, attitude, and mix of (MAD) skills (Wouldn't you know it?--Saban and Alabama stumbled onto EXACTLY the right kind of guy!). BUT it also needs a big, tough and fast O-line too, which our Coach KNOWS he needs at least the first parts of before throwing the youngster into the middle of a wild on-the-job learning experience. That will begin NEXT season, I think, with a fully mature Franks still mainly at the helm--not so very different from that first Championship year under Meyers, with Leak starting and Tebow "learning" along the way (but working his way, more and more, INTO The System in new and wonderful ways).
And I DON'T believe I am overstating the potential of this process , and how far it could take us, by mentioning the two in essentially "the same breath", either.

Escambia94

I've been mulling over this clear, tight and realistic analysis that matches Mullen's overall tactical philosophy with the various ways he has flexibly applied/evolved it to fit the particular hand he has been dealt personel-wise over the years, in different situations. You imply enormous credit to his results--and I will ADD the (hopeful) observation that these tactical formulae have and WILL CONTINUE TO evolve into a full-on strategic plan; with the more personal and direct control he will have over the actual "tools" (the personnel that comprise those "hands dealt") as Head Coach, I think we will see a more coherent coalescing of "parts that fit the whole" to form a powerful expression of our Coach's long considered plans made real.
Already he has a young (VERY young) and inexperienced QB sitting on the bench (3rd on our depth chart--and only THERE "just in case"--otherwise always a definite redshirt THIS year), Emory Jones, who by all the signs fits the requirements of that future-amalgamation of Mullen's evolving version of, well, for now lets call it something like "The Power Spread-", or "Pinball/HEADBUTT"-Offense...Maybe "Pick Your Poison" sums it up best (it basically invites a defense to do just that!)--but regardless, it requires a certain kind of QB, with the right size, attitude, and mix of (MAD) skills (Wouldn't you know it?--Saban and Alabama stumbled onto EXACTLY the right kind of guy!). BUT it also needs a big, tough and fast O-line too, which our Coach KNOWS he needs at least the first parts of before throwing the youngster into the middle of a wild on-the-job learning experience. That will begin NEXT season, I think, with a fully mature Franks still mainly at the helm--not so very different from that first Championship year under Meyers, with Leak starting and Tebow "learning" along the way (but working his way, more and more, INTO The System in new and wonderful ways).
And I DON'T believe I am overstating the potential of this process , and how far it could take us, by mentioning the two in essentially "the same breath", either.

How long have you been Mullen this over?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
How long have you been Mullen this over?
Geez, I must really be worried--or losing it entirely: This actually didn't register consciously with me at all as I wrote it. And me someone who was repeatedly warned by English teachers through the years that "The pun is the lowest form of humor."!
(Never DID figure out exactly what that MEANS, btw...On what scale? According to whom?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema