• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 4: Florida Gators 47 at Tennessee Volunteers 21, September 22, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Florida Gators look to rebound in conference play against a Tennessee team that, like Florida, is coming off a losing season and is starting over with a new head coach.

When: Sept. 22nd, 2018 at 7:00 PM EDT/ 6:00 PM CDT
Where: ESPN, WatchESPN Video, Direct TV Ch. 206, Sirius 383 (XM), and WRUF streaming audio.
Commentators: Adam Amin https://twitter.com/adamamin/, Rod Gilmore https://twitter.com/RodGilmore/
and Quint Kessenich

The Florida Gators (2-1) (0-1) SEC East @
The Tennessee Volunteers (2-1) (0-0) SEC East.

Line: Florida 4 (49) Tennessee.

History: The Gators lead the all-time series over the Vols, 27-20.

Toothless Volunteers to watch for:
  • QB Jarrett Guarantano is completing passes at a 72.2 percent clip and averaging 9.1 yards per attempt.
  • RB Tim Jordan is the work horse with 232 yards over 48 carries (4.8 yards per carry) and 2 TDs.
  • RB Madre London has 132 years over 22 carries (6.0 yards per carry) and has 2 TDs.
  • RB Ty Chandler has 154 yards on 16 carries (9.6 yards per attempt) and 1 TD.
  • RB Jeremy Banks has 119 yards on 27 carries (4.4 yards) and 2 TDs.

Last edited:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK: Here we go--on the road in the SEC, against our once "bitter rival in the East" in a game that USED to early determine who had the inside track to that side of the eventual Championship game in Atlanta, though still MONTHS away...
We are "further along" in OUR rebuild, I think, than they are. Not that THAT "guarantees" us ANYTHING. BUT if we do continue to improve, to "work hard, learn and PROGRESS" as our Coach aims for, STRESSES in practice throughout the ensuing week just past, IF we get a couple/few key guys back on defense, and our QB can manage to START well, stay calm and poised, manage the offense and enact the gameplan on offense reasonably well, looks from here that we CAN win this game...I'm thinking 27-14 is doable--but that is straight from my GUT, not the result of any cerebral analysis. I just think, HOPE we are that much "better ENOUGH" than the VOL'S current seeming mess.
Then again, there's another acursed "streak" (I think we've won something like 16 of the last 17 meetings?) that THEY (their fans, anyway) at least are trying to motivate themselves with--so who KNOWS? Probably a gut-clentcher no matter what,

Escambia94

I am not sure if we are further along in our rebuild, but I think we can there more quickly with a deep, consistent coaching staff, and with two deep, consistent recruiting classes. Both of these programs are suffering through years of mediocrity, but Jeremy Pruitt is basically their Will Muschamp--a first time head coach with plenty of relevant experience as a defensive coordinator and head coach in waiting.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am not sure if we are further along in our rebuild, but I think we can there more quickly with a deep, consistent coaching staff, and with two deep, consistent recruiting classes. Both of these programs are suffering through years of mediocrity, but Jeremy Pruitt is basically their Will Muschamp--a first time head coach with plenty of relevant experience as a defensive coordinator and head coach in waiting.
May he BE their “Will Muschamp”: the results may look promising at first, but in the long run you are NOT “returning to greatness” but rather letting a few unlikely wins blind you to your becoming inured to “settling for mediocrity”. It isn’t your (temporary) ranking nor anything the media says about you that matters any longer “than the ink takes to dry”, as was once the expression—now begins to fade as soon as it goes by (“by the end of the next commercial break”, perhaps?)—again, you are either busy getting BETTER, or you are almost certainly losing ground to programs that ARE...I suppose it is my assumption here (perhaps a mistaken conceit) that with the little extra time and activity in and amongst his team at the tail end of LAST season, our “new Coach” got a bit of a head start on theirs, and with his prev experience here IN Florida with the Gators at their last “peak”, Mullens had a bit MORE tangible advance insight and hence jump on Pruit when it came to a smoother, pick-it-up and go-from-here transition.
Of course, all this blah blah blah from me, y’all can throw it all out in a heartbeat if they come out, strike quickly and punch us in the head: Every potential advance and advantage goes out the window if we somehow panic, breakdown, and fall apart from there—as can sometimes happen with young men on young not-quite-yet-“teams” (Sorry—had to stop, back away from a whole overdrawn analogy to “American troops at Kasserine Pass” here...Those who get that reference I hope will forgive me for allowing my lifelong exposure to and fascination WITH historical examples of military strategy, tactics, and the effects of failing to learn and heed their lessons to sometimes cause me to misread the appropriateness of equating a sporting struggle with the life-and-DEATH ones of battle)...But in this kind of game, WE’ve got to be the ones to do the “early head-punching”, ya know? I’d feel better if I were confident in our QB’s ongoing steady growth, showing greater mastery of a more consistently run and freewheelingly balanced offense. A LOT of the required pieces ARE THERE—they just need to be PUT TOGETHER PROPERLY ON THE FIELD—smoothly, neatly, in the right order at the right time!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Now, moving on:
I'm watching "College Gameday" this morn, and they have only just now, near the END OF THE SECOND HOUR, finally got around to spending a passing moment "discussing" our game (if you can use that word, "discuss", to describe a round of glib one-liners noting LOW-lights of the last 10+ years since "this game annually decided the East, as it once DID"), and their picks as to the outcome...only Corso picks us. Personally gave up on paying ANY emotional attention to the so-called "experts' picks" a LONG time ago (back when I was young and stupid, used to gamble on these games--and learned the HARD way). Nowadays, as here specifically and beyond, to their general yacking "filler" day and night (and which will only get louder, shriller and MORE pervasive with the recent Supreme Court ruling).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Baahhh!!! Officials in UGA vs MIZZOU game just handed Bulldogs game-changer bad call early: CLEARLY Tiger runner stopped forward mo, fighting for 1st and moved back YARDS for SECONDS, but no whistle until UGA defender finally able to rip it from his hands, run back for TD--travesty of an unreviewable "no whistle" call; RB was doing his job, fighting for yards "until the whistle blows"--only it never DID (this after 2 OTHER borderline calls against Mizzou keeping them outta the endzone going the other way.
SEC crew really blew that one; so extreme in its being a CREW-WIDE "mistake" (SOMEONE should have blown their whistle), in continued context of EVERY possible call now having gone Bulldogs' way...well, with Tigers driving field in response, but missing fieldgoal they were "settling for" down near redzone, I was willing to watch with hope of UGA upset loss--but this Missouri team is a bumbling, frustrating-to-watch team that is in process of giving away game to team that doesn't NEED their charity. Got way sick of watching OUR team doing this sort of thing, year in year out, game after game with multiple dumb penalties, crucial mistakes, above all leaving so many "points on the field"--damned if I'm gonna watch a team and program I don't really give a FIG about do it; not just 'cause I'd like to see their foe, our cross-stateline-rival, LOSE a game here. Only good part IS encouraging, regardless: UGA does NOT impress here. They'll almost certainly win this one--weaker squad can't outplay the favorite, dominate play and time of possession throughout 1st qtr but still come out down 7 points. Driving again now--but even after they score here (and they keep getting in each others' way to stop themselves), UGA has to feel fortunate to be tied going into 2nd. Yes, I think UGA eventually adjusts, gets untracked and wins this one--but they are eminently BEATABLE, this supposed "No. 2 -ranked Nationally" team that came into season expected to meet The Tide again for the SEC Championship--and hyped by those "experts", along with Clemson, as one of just a handful of "elite programs" that would meet and could potentially displace Alabama as the NATIONAL champion.
From what we've seen so far likewise from all of 'em, this Georgia team, the product on the field right here, right now: Um, no way.
On a good day, healthy and hitting on all cylinders, the present GATOR team might well beat the Bulldogs we've seen so far this season. Not making any predictions NOW bout the Cocktail Party--just sayin'.
And here's another Tiger turnover--Drew Locke is a talented QB--but he's all they got, it seems: WR just let dart right to him through his hands, into those of UGA defender, almost pick six; first and goal for Bulldogs--but they fail to punch it in, on "Mr Accuracy" Jake From's poor throw. I am TELLING y'all: these partic Bulldogs are NOT "worldbeaters"! NOT in same category as Tide--them or anyone else currently. And I get the impresion THAT level of commitment-to-perfection, albeit in a more "relaxed and fun", more "GATOR" way, is precisely Mullens' aim and standard; I DON'T get that for ANY of these other programs, including Kirby's. Well, Dabo's MAYBE: He HAS at least raised the standard and left the mark of his attitude and expectations on that Clemson team--but they may be AT their "peak" now, and if so, not quite enough...
While I'm on the subject of other teams and programs that may or may not be of interest to us, a now first-time-in-a-LONG-time-ranked BC, led by the dreaded "A-DAZE-io", facing a so far snake-bit-close 0-and-three Purdue squad in a close one...of a series of "thin-reasons-for-us-to-care"-games out there today, I may switch over to THIS one soon--if I stick around for now at ALL: Prob gonna just skip the "time wasters" and get active, get a few things actually DONE out there and be back for some portion of the next round of games...Another turnover, after ANOTHER dropped Drew Locke pass that would have kept drive alive, punt blocked for 6 pts UGA's way. At a certain point, we SEE a final score and a few "all-one-way" highlights on ESPN, and get a certain impression--one that reinforces self-serving TV-guys' predictions, overall view of and setup FOR the ongoing way the season plays out.
Wake Forrest keeping it close against Notre Dame, likewise the other games still at least flirting with minor upsets...
Nah--with the Longhorns game I won't have any choice in seeing/hearing about no matter where I go or what I do between now and kickoff later in Knoxville, I'll be exhausted by the details and minutia of all the games like these already underway and coming up betwern now and then.
Gotta PACE myself this week.
Talk to y'all later, Gators.

Escambia94

33030_754d82ca523a573236d43c9579d64776.jpg

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Pretty damn close, well-matched from a statistical standpoint.
To be honest, this just plays into my rising nervousness as kickoff approaches (oh so slowly) onthese long Saturdays preceding an evening start. Yeah, I know what I said, know how I MEANT to begin approaching our games this season--with a more patient, more circumspect, less emotionally attached connection to the actual outcome of game and season.
So much for "good intentions"...and "wisdom", for that matter. Lol.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here we go. Anyone feel CONFIDENT about this one? If so, help the rest of us out: Clue us in as to hiw and why...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Damnit! Damn RIGHT "NO TARGETING"!
Meanwhile, we hand them the ball coyrtesy of combo carelessness and crowd nouse... D has GOT to stop them, get ball back. Chance here:
INTERCEPTED BY REESE!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
WTF???!!! Terrible call on 1st down.
That is better--but not a TD? Review it. I THINK he scored! But no--TD by Franks on next play!
ORANGE and BLUE shut 'em up on Rocky Top...Review???!!! He went over TWICE...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They can't overturn this, can they? Certainly no "indisputable" shot...
Fuck! Stupid.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That was ridiculous--so they pass it.
I love it. Say it all the time in that kind of situation: "EASY TD if you PASS it here!" but has its dangers, make OC look foolish.
Great time to call it. Shut this crowd up. Give their defense something ELSE to think about later...
So: Good start. Lets go out and get some more.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Inyerception DEEP!!! Last one ruled (properly) a fumble recovery.
Cash this in, we can begin to ROLL!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
WE ARE NOW CONTROLLING LINE OF SCRIMMAGE. Both ways.
Touchdown, FRANKS.
POINTS OFF TURNOVERS: Defense already in position to "pin its ears back": They will no doubt TRY to get back in this by getting points QUICKLY. Has started so badly for them they almost HAVE to. Only way to get Crowd back in it. Our D came to PLAY.

Escambia94

As long as the Gators get those turnovers, we have a chance .Up to this point, UT had not been turning the ball over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema