• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 12: #13 Florida Gators 63, Idaho Vandals 10 - November 17, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorta woulda liked to see how they did the whole "We Are The Boys"/ segway-into-TP thing this week in the SWAMP: Doubt we'd see another karaoke star-turn from our long-snapper Farr again anyway--don't NEED a "spark" like last week...But here it IS! And Farr IS doing his thing.
Oooohhh...This time it's Jones JUST missing the freshman tight end Gamble. That's another part of the Mullen playbook that has been mainly missing, for whatever reason. And btw: If I'm not mistaken, one by one they've been rotating in O-LINEMEN on this Gator offense, and maybe THAT'S what is more and more hampering what had LOOKED like an unstoppable juggernaut when Jones forst got in there... Clearly THAT'S where we need more top recruits--in fact on BOTH sides of the line, O AND D lines. We'll keep GETTIMG our share of playmakers...Whataya wanna bet Mullen and his road-warriors are WORKING HARD to bring in some "immovable objects" and "irresistable forces" down there in the trenches now?

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Sorta woulda liked to see how they did the whole "We Are The Boys"/ segway-into-TP thing this week in the SWAMP: Doubt we'd see another karaoke star-turn from our long-snapper Farr again anyway--don't NEED a "spark" like last week...But here it IS! And Farr IS doing his thing.
Oooohhh...This time it's Jones JUST missing the freshman tight end Gamble. That's another part of the Mullen playbook that has been mainly missing, for whatever reason. And btw: If I'm not mistaken, one by one they've been rotating in O-LINEMEN on this Gator offense, and maybe THAT'S what is more and more hampering what had LOOKED like an unstoppable juggernaut when Jones forst got in there... Clearly THAT'S where we need more top recruits--in fact on BOTH sides of the line, O AND D lines. We'll keep GETTIMG our share of playmakers...Whataya wanna bet Mullen and his road-warriors are WORKING HARD to bring in some "immovable objects" and "irresistable forces" down there in the trenches now?
The Gators had to rotate OL anyways due to injuries. We have a new center for today. The plan was to rotate regardless.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again: I really love that our Coach is so fully IN this thing: He will NOT permit any sloppiness get by him out there, let ANY bad habits develop among his guys: They gotta KNOW by now that their Coach SEES and CARES..."We do things the right way, ALWAYS, regardless of the score or anything else!". This will all pay off--maybe next WEEK when the 'Noles try and rush a go-for-it-on-4th-down in there late or something, but certainly by next year when presumably EVERYTHING (maybe a shot at the CFB Playoff) could be in the balance.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Gators had to rotate OL anyways due to injuries. We have a new center for today. The plan was to rotate regardless.
Ah. Makes sense. Still reinforces my overall point: THAT is where we have yet to really fill a dangerous thinness--"in the trenches", on BOTH LINES.
Yikes. Gator pick-6!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
James Houston with an a borderline personal foul at the sidelines. He TRIED TO STOP, QB ran into HIM as much as anything--and paid the PRICE. That was more PHYSICS than bad intentions.
Our guys ARE a little tired on defense again here late; I give their guys some credit for keeping the pressure on, even if it IS just trying to score one TD against a team that has hung 63 on them (!).
But we need more healthy bodies over there, at LEAST...and probsbly a few "upgrades" too.
Ooof. That Petrino kid has more or less WILLED his offense into the endzone, finally. Again, this is as much a good thing for Mullen, coaching-wise all around (especially regarding substitution issues--I THINK that is what he is so angry about--bet he mentions it aftergame in his walk-off interview).

Escambia94

Idaho Florida
1ST DOWNS 14 32
Rushing 9 15
Passing 3 16
Penalty 2 1
3RD DOWN CONV 3-17 6-12
4TH DOWN CONV 2-3 1-3
TOTAL NET YARDS 220 595
Total Plays 68 79
Avg Gain 3.2 7.5
NET YARDS RUSHING 154 201
Rush Attempts 33 36
Avg Rush Yards 4.7 5.6
NET YARDS PASSING 66 394
Comp. - Att. 13-35 31-43
Yards Per Pass 1.9 9.2
Sacked - Yards Lost 2-7 1-5
PENALTIES - YARDS 6-48 5-55
TOUCHDOWNS 1 9
Rushing TDs 0 2
Passing TDs 1 5
Other 0 2
TURNOVERS 2 1
Fumbles - Lost 0-0 2-1
Int. Thrown 2 0
PUNTS - AVG 9-41.3 2-31.0
RETURN YARDS 60 151
Punts - Returns 1-8 3-17
Kickoffs - Returns 4-52 2-26
Int - Returns 0-0 2-108
KICKING 2/3 9/10
Extra Points 1/1 9/9
Field Goals 1/2 0/1
SAFETIES 0 0

Good game to send off the Gator seniors!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Notice how lately he always mainly refers to Franks' "managing the game well" (and MENTIONS the one repeated problem too, if lightly)... I'm telling you between the lines there is a clear message: "Franks won't be the starter next year if I can help it". And yes, he explains the anger; his guys'll be hearing it from him on all that.
Damnit--Ohio State scores to tie it with 3:41 to play. C'mon Terps!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Speaking of which--Those same Terps just had EVERY chance to win it in regulation, first with the lead but gave up the big runback, then with last pissession and 1st down inside the OSU 40 with no times out left--but the Maryland QB apparantly is weak on the concept, "DO NOT TAKE THE SACK!"--TWICE! Sigh...Now they go to overtime against an Ohio State yeam with ALL the momentum.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
ANOTHER chance to win it by Terps IF they can stop Ohio St in 4th and short...going for it. Nuts--they complete the pass to the flats. Crap pass, but gets them a first n goal.
PI on Ohio St on 1st n goal, though. This is their big chance

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
But of course they get called for Pass Interference....Is there NO "uncatchable pass" rule in the NCAA. Oh well, Poison Nuts score on next play. (Looks like he mighta touched knee down, but not nec "indesputable"...I LOVE watching Urban Meyer freaking out in disbelief at everything that goes against his team--but HATE that crowd's euphoria even as it seems that no matter WHAT, they are now OUTTA the playoff race...That has to be true, right? I mean, they damn near LOST to a team still trying to qualify for a BOWL GAME...and Maryland gets it to the goalline! Ruled a TD--but under review. Called down at 1yd line...Gotta get it in, then go for the win! Missed it on bad throw (could see THAT coming--Hands shot at Big 10 title to Ohio State: Had options on roll out, but he and receiver not on same page. You just don't CALL that sort of play with a QB like they have, least how he was playing today--could SEE he was just winging it, banking on LUCK, from the late 4th qtr on.
Yech. Can't STAND hearing/seeimg Urban Meyer interviewed as he leaves field, proclaiming "I'm so proud of my guys..."
Yeah, your sincerity is ALWAYS so solid and refreshing, Coach ("solid and refreshing" meaning "shakey and sickening", of course).
Now they switch over to the West Virginia vs Oklahoma State game--and I gotta hear the ABC announcers talk about "Will Grier the wholesome family man" BS???
All these "Gators know better"-type guys getting their images dry-cleaned by a pandering media who are "just following orders"...GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Bout to turn-the-page, move on and into NEXT week's big one to FINISH the season ...So it is probably fitting we note something I'm seeing in FSU's game against BC: In point of fact, they were having trouble moving the ball the whole first half against what, despite their record (7-3 against a down ACC) is a pretty mediocre Eagles team...tgen came out for the 2nd half, received the KO and drove the field in a coupla moments and a handful of plays. Now they are up 13-7 in this one. And that's the thing we need to be aware of about our cross state rivals in facing them next week...
There are plenty of (still visible) reasons why they have had such a generally poor season so far, but they still have some TALENT over there, can put it together for stretches here'n'there, look good for a while...They'll have every reason right in front of them to play well in sustained fashion NEXT week, against us. So we need to take the LESSONS of this week, ignore whatever we THINK it told us about ourselves and any "superiority": We CAN match them, in fact, based on relative results and consistency prob oughtta beat them pretty handily...But we've had OUR "stumbling stretches" along the way here too: For the climactic game of BOTH our seasons, it is necessary that we now just ASSUME THE MANTLE OF " INSTATE LEADERSHIP"--I mean TAKE IT, and HOLD IT: It is there now for the TAKING.
This is one of the "steps" we must take sooner or later; What better time?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Oh--and UAB just muffed the opening kick to give TX Tech a scoop'n'score. Too bad...)
(Meanwhile, for the 2nd or 3rd time this aft/eve they gave the FSU offense a VERY questionable no-look 1st down on REAL close 3rd down plays that actually LOOKED SHORT...Noles rush in to hurriedly snap the ball, while BC doesn't question it in any way...
And 40 seconds away from a tough win, Addazio's boys pull a classic "Dazed-One Surrender": They let a single wide receiver get behind their whole secondary and give up the last secong long one to lose the game...
And now we are in a dogfight with them NEXT Saturday: FSU will need ONE MORE WIN TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A BOWL. They mighta lay down for us if they'd LOST it instead--but THIS way at least we DO have a chance to be the ones to stop 'em right HERE...And break their fans hearts! It will MEAN something, it seems: Be nice to see our guys do to them what they did to US over the years:
Kick 'em when they are DOWN!

Escambia94

(Oh--and UAB just muffed the opening kick to give TX Tech a s oop'n'score. Too bad...)
(Meanwhile, for the 2nd or 3rd time this aft/eve they gave the FSU offense a VERY questionable no-look 1st down on REAL close 3rd down plays that actually LOOKED SHORT...Noles rush in to hurriedly snap the ball, while BC doesn't question it in any way...
And 40 seconds aeay from a tough win, Addazio's boys pull a classic "Dazed-One Surrender": They let a single wide receiver get behind their whole secondary and give up the last secong ling one to lose the game...
And now we are in a dogfight with them NEXT Saturday: FSU will need ONE MORE WIN TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR A BOWL. They mighta lay down for us if they'd LOST it instead--but THIS way at least we DO have a chance to be the ones to stop 'em right HERE...And break their fans hearts! It will MEAN something, it seems: Be nice to see our guys do to them what they did to US over the years:
Kick 'em when they are DOWN!

I was at the aTm game, and I was right there watching the scoop and score. It is interesting to see how other fan bases act compared to ours. I would argue that Aggies are much crazier than Gators. Before kick-off they were finding excuses to build up UAB as a dark horse that would crush the Aggies. By halftime they were thumping their chests. They are definitely a fun bunch, but nothing is better than being a Florida Gator. I cannot wait to get back to Gainesville!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I was at the aTm game, and I was right there watching the scoop and score. It is interesting to see how other fan bases act compared to ours. I would argue that Aggies are much crazier than Gators. Before kick-off they were finding excuses to build up UAB as a dark horse that would crush the Aggies. By halftime they were thumping their chests. They are definitely a fun bunch, but nothing is better than being a Florida Gator. I cannot wait to get back to Gainesville!
Forgot you were THERE, man! As it was, I was sorta hoping UAB could keep up with them--mainly 'cause Jimbo is their Coach!
But I was prob drinking the media-coolaid you mention, no doubt all designed to hype their chances and hype the game...Kyle Field is always more fun when the locals are rolling--especially if/when you get swept up as part of "The 12th Man", even if it's 2nd-hand and just for the day. That's how it looks, anyway: the one time I was there for a game it was as a guest with the fam of an old friend--all season ticket holders...and it mostly convinced me that if/when WE next play them there, I'd spend the big bucks (and after the trainride, etc PLUS the price they get for tickets ordered by fans of the visiting team who wanna sit together--and in a low corner of a sun-baked endzone, to boot--it IS "the big bucks" for sure!) to sit in their Visitors' section ONLY if we were clearly "on the brink", gathering momentum and had a truly decent chance to beat them there: I sure as HELL didn't wanna be there to witness a Gator beatdown with that crowd'o'crazy rednecks happily rubbing it in our faces!
Yeah, they DO have fun, and there's an undercurrent of "guilty envy" I think among even their old Big 12 rivals' fans, however consciously repressed. I certainly pick up that vibe among Longhorn fans.
(Meanwhile, I am watching the replay of the Idaho game, and though EVERYTHING ELSE looked good, went our way, Franks' "woes on the deep throws" were definitely on display--AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Oh, it was redeemed each time by a subsequent score (often on the very next play, and often with them scoring on and with one of those passes that he CAN throw), so the fans there at least didn't have time to stew about it--but otherwise we MIGHT HAVE had the strange situation of Fillipe hearing some boos in the middle of an otherwise DISSECTION!
It might be unfair, even a bit ungrateful, but after all, these are by and large knowledgeable fans who have SEEN some of the best compete for and against us there, understand what is required for real success in the SEC--and just like you and me are SICK TO DEATH of seeing another unforced miss from another in a long line of "talented quartebacks with cannon arms who look great in highschool" AND in practice once they get here, but just cannot put it all together ingame. Thing is, in Franks' case that deep throw to where his receiver, one he can't see and "is SUPPOSED TO BE", and to hit him on the dead run, is by now practically the only throw he still can't make...He has seemed to have mastered all the rest, has finally begun to run the whole offense pretty efficiently with a strong, confident hand...BUT: It IS an IMPORTANT part of the Mullen playbook that he is missing--and even the rest has only lately begun to look reliable (tell me YOU don't hold your breath even now going into EVERY GAME, thinking "Which Fillipe Franks will show UP today???", in the back of your mind and heart-of-hearts)...
...Then here comes Emory Jones, and HE delivers a DIME long (DROPPED by another highly-ranked/recruited freshman, btw--one of several we saw for the first time on Saturday...As I noted then, ALL of them necessarily have the flaws, jitters and rough edges of stepping into and UP to the at first seemingly chaotic speed and violence of this, the highest level of college play... Idaho game was the best kinda situation for all of them to get their first taste of it.)
EMORY looks like he is already pretty far along in the process of where he must GET to, though. It's now on Fillipe's shoulders how long he can put off Jones' inevitable ascension, as I say.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I suspect at this point it may seem to some I'm beating the proverbial "dead horse" (as in, "We get it, DRU, we GET it!!!") regarding Fillipe, and I'm certainly no expert (let alone someone who means to second guess any Coach--LEAST of all ANYONE on the Gator staff), but last coupla days I did take some time to watch a whole BUNCH of clips focusing on Fillipe throwing the long pass--and I noticed something strange, an ANOMALY, a "flaw" that shows itself on certain throws and may be the problem on long ones in particular:
I'm not sure he uses that fore-finger to spin the ball as it leaves his hand, at least anywhere NEAR to the same degree as normally, as quartebacks are strictly COACHED to do since PeeWee ball (and as such throws long ESPECIALLY need for accuracy, btw). He appears to rely more on his arm strength (prodigious, as we all know--"prodigious to a FAULT", many would say) on these: He just rears back an THROWS it, but somehow it always arrives just a bit OFF-target...usually long, tailing away from the hard-running (and often necessarily DIVING) receiver. And it all MAY begin with that possible SLIGHT change in his release.
Now, I'm not certain bout ANY of this--especially as to whether I am really seeing what I THINK I am seeing: It's hard to find that many instances of extended single-camera shots fully focusing on the QB for the duration of his throwing motion from among what's available to us "out here at the END of the commercial broadcast chain", to begin with. So I am already probably operating with "a limited sample", as they say. But given that, and the fact that I went INTO it "looking for SOMETHING" (which is always dangerous, possibly fatal to scientific objectivity)...but the fact remains: I THINK maybe Franks is "automatically" changing this "one little thing" when he throws the "bomb over-the-top".
Now, we all suspect by now his problems on such throws are somehow ultimately "in his head"--but even so that still leaves some actual "physical effect" that produces the consistently poor result each time on-the-field. I went looking for something like that--and MAYBE found it? IS Fillipe Franks (albeit to a miniscule degree) altering the mechanics of his throw-release in order to heave it long? Did what start as a thing he originally did to "get it there", far as he could throw it, when he was younger somehow by now develop into such a change, in turn taking JUST enough spin off the ball to affect its accuracy at the very END of its trajectory--and that this has somehow been missed by EVERYONE ELSE (people a WHOLE lot more knowledgeable than I) before now???!!!
Even I doubt that last, when I lay it all out. Sounds JUST like "another ignorant/arrogant fan" who thinks he knows more than the Coaches, bright people who are PAID to apply a LIFETIME of study and experience to get the most from these young men--to HELP them to get the most from THEMSELVES.
But it happens. "Little things" end up producing big effects at the other end of the chain-of-action/reaction they set in motion, and smart people miss "little things" sometimes; sometimes the very fact that so MANY smart people are involved produces a collective "me too" blindness. I'm not saying that is at work here, NOT saying I am right...but if someone out there has the time, and better access to more of the kind of visual material that could take a closer look at Fillipe's throwing mechanics, compare what he does on long throws with what he does all the rest of the time, I sure would welcome it...if only to make sure I'M WRONG!
But that isn't likely to happen...All I (or anyone else) can do is to care like a FAN, care enough to (somewhat obsessively, I admit) go as far as I DID to note and pursue a clear problem--and, based on limited data, propose a possible explanation. Now, while still that "fan", as a (hopefully) sane individual, I'll (finally) just let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema