• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Thread, Week 12: #13 Florida Gators 63, Idaho Vandals 10 - November 17, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In a way, you WANT to see a BIT of resistance, if not outright adversity here. I mean, Mullen and his crew will NEED some threads to pull heading into the FSU tilt: After all, that one will be as much about their HEADS as thwir talent that day....

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
And Franks OVERTHROWS THE OPEN (WIDE open) WR, AGAIN.
Doesn't hurt us on the scoreboard, though (just have Franks throw the pass he CAN throw, the slant if course, to that other new kid, Kyle Pitts--big freshman former-prep star outta Philadelphia who will, along with Toney and a coupla WRs we still haven't seen much of yet...Did you see him remember to switch carrying arms away from the pursuing side as he broke free?--but the fact still remains: Franks couldn't even hit his WR long with full protection, plenty of time, his primary receiver running free on the called play...Overthrew him by 3-5 FEET on WR's dead run and dive. I don't think he'll EVER hit those with any regularity. Just did it again to an open Toney. It's fine today--he's got the horses against THIS opponent to overcome these mistakes. There AGAIN: He's late getting THAT long one to Jefferson--and it's when he does that that it gets REALLY dangerous: Against a full on top level defense, that would have prob been another INT--on a long pass that "woulda/shoulda/coulda" been a big completion he puts us in DANGER...I know how weird it is bitching about the QB in a game like this one so far--but the same HUGE hole in Fillipe's game is still being displayed even HERE. It has to change, and it WON'T, not for this QB, not in that part of his game--and with neither the long ball nor the touch pass, Mullen's playbook is severely abridged. He will, he MUST find a replacement for NEXT season...Franks would make a VERY good and reliable "experienced backup" behind a star with all the tools...I believe Mullen will do all he can to make THAT his target scenario at SOME point next season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
All these talented freshmen on BOTH sides of the ball. Hey guys? We might be ok as time goes on here...
But we SEEM to be giving up a long drive here...Good, a CHALLENGE: STOP em, D!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
These announcers miss the point here, as always...Yes, his stats are better today, but the two most needed to be improved are glaringly NOT IMPROVED: THERE IT IS AGAIN: The WR is WIDE open .running to the endzone, and Franks WAY overthrows him, long AND OUTTABOUNDS, fer cryin' out loud. Again, the skant bails him out with a first down 2 plays later, then Hammond goes wide, turns the corner and takes it the last 20+ yards to the endzone.
They'll brag on Fillipe on the sports shows later--but the one thing that HAD to change still has NOT, not in the LEAST. Mullen keeos giving him chances--at least as much to allow him opportunities to get the FANS off his back, at least--but the kid just can't DO it. Instead of maybe quelling that talk for awhile (Mullen HAS to get it, regardless, by now--this is more about Franks' head at this point, hoping maybe he can get a LITTLE improvement there, for the sake of whenever he IS our QB, however long it is for).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I give OUR guys credit for showing up and playing like they were EXPECTED to play, for a change...and our whole coaching staff for having them ready to play that way.
Even Franks' repeated onfield demonstrations of the ongoing theme, "I CAN'T THROW IT LONG" haven't been able to deflect us. Everyone ELSE has done their jobs STAT. Lets see how this Vandals' FG goes: Missed it. (Sad laugh--AW, come ON guy: yardage and posts haven't changed here)
Meanwhile, see that Citadel score? Yep, "10-10" late in the 2nd qtr.
(Now Fillipe FINALLY hits a med-long one: Of course, he had more of a slant-type angle and distance look at it...It's when he has to throw it OVER everyone to a running receiver he doesn't actually SEE--the DEFINITION of "the deep ball" or "fly pattern" that's an important option in the Mullen playbook, btw)
Stupid penalty there by "the other freshman named Reese".
(So Tide having a tough time with the "well run by the little guys" triple option in Tuscaloosa, and Ohio State so far having LOADS of trouble with Maryland)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
EMORY JONES THROWS THE LONG ONE PERFECTLY--and the freshman WR Pitts drops it! He has GOT to catch those: Those two can be LEGENDARY together!
Oh, Jones looks GOOD. RUNNING, THROWING... Now touchdown throw to Hammond. LOL. Swan song goodbye to Franks, I think...No, I gotta shut UP with that talk RIGHT NOW. I do NOT wanna jinx this...The kid looks that good, though. From what we have sern so far, these next few months between now and next August might well be enough to get Jones ready for THE BIG STEP UP.
I thought he might well go after one of the senior "transfer-ins", give Jones another full year-plus to get ready, grow into the role (I thought that was why he was so protective of Emory's redshirt)--and he still MIGHT--but LOOKS like he may not need to even CONSIDER it after all.
It's just one drive--but that's how it IS with the REALLY good ones: You know it, SEE it the moment they step in first time FOR REAL. Of course, he still needs some filling out in the months ahead--injury is the one thing that could (and so often has) derail what seems an otherwise "sure thing".
Y'all see what those firey little warriors from The Citadel are doing against Bama...That ISN'T what OUR kids are allowing to happen to THEM. (FORTUNATELY WE aren't facing the triple option, tho', either)
And Maryland is staying in front of The Poison Nuts so far...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
TEAM STATS
Idaho Florida
1ST DOWNS 5 20
Rushing 4 7
Passing 1 12
Penalty 0 1
3RD DOWN CONV 1-9 3-5
4TH DOWN CONV 0-1 1-2
TOTAL NET YARDS 121 430
Total Plays 36 43
Avg Gain 3.4 10.0
NET YARDS RUSHING 85 113
Rush Attempts 19 13
Avg Rush Yards 4.5 8.7
NET YARDS PASSING 36 317
Comp. - Att. 7-17 21-30
Yards Per Pass 2.1 10.6
Sacked - Yards Lost 1-2 0-0
PENALTIES - YARDS 5-43 1-15
TOUCHDOWNS 0 7
Rushing TDs 0 2
Passing TDs 0 4
Other 0 1
TURNOVERS 1 0
Fumbles - Lost 0-0 0-0
Int. Thrown 1 0
PUNTS - AVG 6-41.8 0-0.0
RETURN YARDS 26 43
Punts - Returns 0-0 3-17
Kickoffs - Returns 2-26 0-0
Int - Returns 0-0 1-26
KICKING 0/1 7/8
Extra Points 0/0 7/7
Field Goals 0/1 0/1
SAFETIES 0 0

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
49-0 at the half bout as good as you could ask, right? 41 scored with Franks at the helm--and somehow (we know EXACTLY how) the case AGAINST Franks (longterm, anyway) is I feel the one most clearly made..."Why Fillipe is the ideal BACKUP QB by 2019".

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I still can't get over the glimpse we just got of Emory Jones' "upside", truncated (by quick, sharp and efficient success) as it was: The kid has it ALL.
Oh MAN, the future is BRIGHT, my brothers.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Thing is, Franks is done for the day now long as Emory is healthy. So we are bout to get a nice long look at he and the WHOLE "tomorrow's offense" rest of the way; Just need to relax, run the clock--but prob will see more than THAT. NICE crossfield throw for a first there. This young man has ALL the throws. And I didn't realize until lately how much good talent we already have but haven't used much yet...
Aw, there's a freshman error--he muffs snap and loses ball. Nice ongoing drive wasted.
But this is EXACTLY what a freshman redshirt HAS to go thru'--and this is EXACTLY the time and place for it. No one BUT young Emory and his coaches are gonna note or remember that play after the final gun in a big win--but EMORY will, sharply and forEVER: Gotta figure he will LEARN from this, and inevitable future f-ups sure to be coming...Look at our Coach Mullen calmly COACHING him over there, SHOWING Emory how he needs to do things. This may well be more time and attention he is getting from his head Coach DURING a game since arriving here.
OK, you are getting the ball and your squad back at midfield: no harm done. Go out there, take a deep breath, shrug the rest off and TAKE IT DOWN THE FIELD.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That RB Copeland was our 5-star (Jones throws a BULLET betwen 2 defenders) who just came in, ran strong for his first first.
That's what I mean about realizing HOW MUCH talent we have after all.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Did y'all SEE that? Little pass, yes--but what Franks makes a dangerous chore, Jones makes LOOK EASY!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I mean, guess I should just shut up now; all I'm gonna be doing rest of way otherwise is to keep repeating what y'all can see for YOURSELVES: There is every chance that we may well FINALLY have a FLORIDA-STYLE-OFFENSE again by next season...in which case, EVERYONE LOOK OUT.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emory Jones is looking sharp!
I AM TELLING YOU. That's the best thing ABOUT this game today: Yes, Fillipe underlined his WEAKNESSES right along with his strengths, but Emory has already shown HE is the cure for.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nice going, Vandals. First Florida punt of game. ANOTHER chance for MULLEN to get exercized: He is PISSED...and I get it (and LOVE IT, really): Even at 56-0 late in the 3rd qtr, our Coach is at least AFTER perfection in every area.
Aw, come ON, Gator. NO call for that late hit--not egregious, but now you are surrendering your shut out, for no good reason.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
They will review this one...no (lol) Idaho runs out there and KICKS THE SHUTOUT BREAKING Fieldgoal before even waitimg OUT a replay call, and officials let it happen. Is that the equivalent of "The Slaughter Rule" after 3 quarters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema