• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Florida @ Kentucky - 9/24: WIN 48 - 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Another thing scary about the Alabama offense is that if you do not pressure their offensive line, they run a lot of confusing shifts. That fake point formation is the same as two of their scoring play formations. Either RB will slide along the back of the formation where the defender will lose track if his man. That puts Richardson who was on the weak side on the strong side DBs. If Roberson , Elam, or Riggs miss that, they will screen pass us to death--just as we screen pass others from the flat. We have to attack their perimeter with our offense and defend between the hash marks when we are on defense, even when they are moving play makers to the opposite side where our defense may forget to pass the assignment off.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I think we should be hard on Driskell. The coaches put him at #2 and from what everyone has seen, Murphy has shown to be the better QB. I know Driskell is the QB of the future, but I'm looking at who best serves us right now at #2.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, while we can sharpen up the "fine points" of OUR play versus THEIR tactics, it isn't EITHER offense that is the key to whether or not we can win. I believe our defense, if healthy, can hold its own against their offense--provided that it is NOT left on the field an inordinate portion of the game by an unbalanced time-of-possession: unless our OFFENSE holds its own in this regard, we don't have the depth on defense to rotate enough guys in and out to avoid being worn down, pounded by their running game in the 2nd half.
I've gone on at length elsewhere, so I'll keep it short here: The Tide will do whatever they HAVE to do to take away our running game. No matter how you slice it, our only real hope is to break that open with a passing attack; it rests on Brantley's (at best) unproven arm, and the likewise unused WRs and passing-plays, to get a lead, break the multiple-men-in-the-box-"press", and put US in a position to run the clock while THEY try to pass in the 2nd half.
It's a nice "bedtime story", but how likely is it? Have any of us EVER seen John Brantley come up to the line and, recognizing the defense, check-UP to a long pass to the "hot" receiver? NO. The only long passes we've EVER seen from #12 have been pre-called by the coach, usually to open a drive at the beginning of a half--and the only one that has worked has been the ones under-thrown-but-adjusted-to by Dunbar (Thompson either drops it or trips over his own feet). So if this were to happen, it would only be because that was the plan from the start, practiced and now ready to unveil this week. I would LOVE to find out Saturday night that this was ALWAYS "The Plan", that they have been waiting and aiming at this since the summer when they looked at their team and the schedule--and that they CAN now flip the "ON"-switch for a well-practiced, multiple-formation passing attack, and reasonably expect it to succeed. I just don't...and without it, everything else I've warned of happens, inexorably: we can neither score enough, nor can we keep the ball long enough to rest our "D", who though valiantly hold us close, eventually get worn down: Alabama pulls away in the second half.
The worst part of it will be the "slow death" nature of the whole experience. If/when it comes to pass, we will know it by the end of the 1st qrtr. After that, it will be a painful, foregone conclusion that will be just absurdly frustrating to watch, marked by an endless succession of phrases by Gator fans like "If ONLY..." and "Why don't they..." and "He SHOULD have..." . As I said way back in early summer about Brantley himself, I say about this game and the whole team now: "Seldom have I more wanted to be WRONG about something."
(for a detailed analysis/breakdown of the above, while there are pieces of it here and there, I worked through most of it in two posts a page or two back on this very "Gameday Kentucky"-Thread)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think we should be hard on Driskell. The coaches put him at #2 and from what everyone has seen, Murphy has shown to be the better QB. I know Driskell is the QB of the future, but I'm looking at who best serves us right now at #2.
Have we seen that about Murphy? (I'm asking straight-out from ignorance--I just don't know, having thought that Driskel was the only QB besides JB that has gotten in-game reps thus far). Each occasion we've seen Driskel, he was sent in the first time late in the half, had some difficulties right away (some WERE his own fault, probably an acute case of nerves--but some were not), then settled down, and (if given MORE time later in the game) he ran the team more and more smoothly (in the 2nd game, his stint in the 2nd half actually included a real nice drive where he showed sharp skills and a sense of command that gave a glimpse of the superior possibilities that will mark a Driskel-led offense)...but if it is true that someone like Murphy were a better alternative right now, I wouldn't hesitate to agree with you. Just remember, WE don't see them in practice, we don't know who has a better, wider grasp of the playbook AND the practical nuances of the offense, and we don't have any idea of how each connects with the rest of the offense, nor how the players relate to each of them. All in all, I have already come to think rather highly of the coaches on the current staff, of Coach Boom and our OC in particular and, unless and until I have more of the data and insight that they have, I am thus inclined to defer to their judgement in this matter.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Maybe it's the alcohol speaking at 6 am on a Monday morning, but I'm calling for an upset against Alabama and I think Driskel will be surpassed by Brissett if he does not get his act together.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Maybe it's the alcohol speaking at 6 am on a Monday morning, but I'm calling for an upset against Alabama and I think Driskel will be surpassed by Brissett if he does not get his act together.

Hope you're right about the game, no matter WHAT was "speaking" at the time--but humor me and respond to my Q's to your post on another current thread, covering related thoughts.
As for Driskel and Brisset, the same thought started to tickle the back of my mind on Saturday...although that INT wasn't his fault (the otherwise more-and-more-reliable Hammond missed the catch AND tipped it into danger), his continued choppy, at times "dear-in-the-headlights" performance had better disappear soon. I don't know if Brisset is far enough along to pass him YET, at least in the coaches' eyes (like everything ELSE on this team, we don't know ANYTHING we don't see ourselves in a game), you can be sure he's at least "opening the door" wider for NEXT season's competition. If I were Brisset, I'd put any thoughts of transferring on hold (I hope he does so anyway--I believe he could have a successful future here in ANY event).

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
Well Murhpy was the #2 all through spring, and he had the best performance in the spring game. Driskell didn't surpass him until fall practices. I just fear that Driskell might have been put at the #2 because the coaches are either looking to get him ready to the future, and ignoring the present.... OR they wanted to avoid hearing crap from the fans & boosters if Driskell was put at #3.

I just think Murphy might be the better QB right now just because he has the extra year of experience. But don't get me wrong, I believe Driskell will win the starting job next year; I'm just looking at the present situation.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia'94 I think would agree, at least I get the impression he's leaning that way when he talks about some of things Murphy can and HAS done well in game-action, albeit last spring in the Orange'n'Blue Game, where he talks about Murphy's success running the Wildcat, and how that might serve us well in a pinch, maybe even as a change-of-pace?
(What about it, E-? Am I reading too much into comments you made earlier tonight on another thread?)
Anyway, I don't believe THIS Head Coach OR OC would do ANYTHING just because the "fans and boosters" wanted them to do it, CaZonG--do you, really? They are going to walk their own road, do things their way, and as far as I can see, fans AND boosters would be wise to just get out of their way--we can discuss, argue and disagree from week-to-week, with them and with each other--I'm the LAST person to just accept everything blindly and unquestioningly, as y'all know--but this is a staff loaded with sharp minds, top to bottom, and they have definite ideas about what they want and where they're going. Not everything will work, but there is a certain excited boldness and flexibility here now that will learn from everything, even (maybe ESPECIALLY) from mistakes. In the long run, there is every reason for hope and confidence in these guys, and the choices that they make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema