• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Alabama @ Florida - 10/1: LOSS 38 - 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Anything that could have gone wrong in this game has gone wrong.

This is a f'cking embarassment.
You said it, Gator.
Sigh.
We are starting ALL over--and with next to nothing at the key position. I'm starting to be concerned for NEXT season.
That's what we have to start preparing for, aiming at--and what all future decisions should be taking into account first. The "average fan" won't like it, won't see what is happening or understand that the immediate results are not the main consideration, but rather getting us ready for what we CAN be. As it is, I wonder how badly this has hurt us with those 4 top RB prospects who were here for this game--all Big Fast Tough Guys, 5-stars who all our rivals are also going after. Will they all want to step into that seeming juggernaut the Tide seemed to be tonight, or will one or two see and understand the opportunity they'll have with UF, Muschamp and Weis and Co.'s commitment to their position in their plans?
And I'll say it again: we better find out who the QB is going to be--and he better SEIZE the role before the end of the season now--otherwise we need to start looking for ANOTHER one on the recruiting trail--we need ONE GOOD ONE, not 2 or 3 "promising" ones. That's ANOTHER thing I HATE: "Promising" quarterbacks who are always "just about to" show us what they "did so well" in highschool and in practice, but somehow never DO. There are so many of them, I'm thinking you need to be ruthless in culling the pretenders--Driskel's turn is already almost up, IMO. One or two more games and you move on for SURE. We need to get started on developing "THE GUY" for next season, and/or finding and bringing in a couple MORE candidates next spring.
Think about it: I believe we'll GET our Big RB's over the next couple of years, but NEITHER of our "Great Coaches" won it all without an efficient, stand-out quarterback who was at the center of it ALL--not just the offense, but, along with the Head Coach was the "heart of the team", a kind of on-field coach AND locker room leader.
That takes a LOT more than just skills, it takes the special ability to rise to the occasion--and somehow everyone KNOWS he'll do it; it comes along so infrequently I am now convinced you have to go through a lot of inadvertent "pretenders" in order to find the genuine article--only under in-game conditions do you see when it's missing, and only in those same conditions does it emerge: SO LET'S GET TO IT!
Comments?

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Hey I'm not writing off Driskel just yet I'm just saying when your number two in line you got to be prepared for your shot at number one no matter how or why it happens to come about.YOU GOT TO BE READY. If he felt out of sort in the swamp hows he going to do against LSU away? Some feel it will be in their own time but most the time its just like it was tonight unexpected....

DRU
I got to agree with you on the up and coming new players they got to be able to show their stuff NOW not in practice BUT in the game. There are some out there that bring it when they come to the next level. HS to College. We need to keep right on digging while were in the digging mode and find what we need.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
I realy hope we get out defense worked out. We tackled like crap. Is it me or does Powell look like he does not try? It seem like he gets blocked way to easy and cant shed a block to save his life.

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
Its not fair to judge Driskel just yet. Theres a big difference in playing in a spring game and in practice then against such a great bama defense. I think he will be fine.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Y'all cant expect driskel to come in here and do well?

Im a firm believer that you cannot judge a QB till his junior season.

Im not saying Driskel is or isnt the answer. Im saying its WAY to soon to be saying nexxxxxt.
We can't WAIT for his junior year, for ANY of their "junior years".
In case anyone hasn't processed this yet: With Brantley gone, "THE FUTURE IS NOW".
Again, we are NOT that far off, not with this staff, this defense and the players already committed for next season. RBs don't NEED years to be ready except insofar as how fast and hard they work at strengthening themselves, grow and fill out, and our coaches are going after at least four 5-star prospects with the intention of grabbing TWO of them.
That leaves the biggest space at QB. Ok, we've lost Brantley, and everything ELSE that loss and the Alabama loss and maybe all the COMING losses (both games and people--if we didn't get one of our little speedsters seriously dinged tonight, we will) bring us MUST be made the best of. As I noted above during the game, there ARE things that can come out of this that may one day be viewed as turning points for the better, the most important being that we are FORCED to begin the fast-track search for and training of our true "next QB"--provided we also are ruthless in recognizing and moving PAST the evident pretenders along the way. Let's find that one "with the light around him" before we invest all the time, effort and HOPE in trying to coach skilled mediocrity into charismatic brilliance--that just won't work.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Its not fair to judge Driskel just yet. Theres a big difference in playing in a spring game and in practice then against such a great bama defense. I think he will be fine.
Don't get me wrong--I'm not writing him off EITHER--but if Brantley is done for the season (or even the next 6 weeks of it) it's time to approach things in tough , realistic terms. We find out pronto if he (Driskel) can step into the role, begin to learn, grow and evolve under pressure and in the fishbowl that being the Gator starting QB is, and we find out right now. If not, and they still feel he has promise for the future, that's another decision (for the staff AND Driskel), but in either event we move on NOW. Like I say, it has to be a ruthless, sink-or-swim-and-no-excuses process. WE have GOT to have that unquestioned "Next QB" before the end of this season--for the sake of NEXT season, and also whether we need to be searching for ANOTHER QB-recruit in the 2012-recruiting class after all.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I realy hope we get out defense worked out. We tackled like crap. Is it me or does Powell look like he does not try? It seem like he gets blocked way to easy and cant shed a block to save his life.
He IS the one continued let-down out of that defensive "haul", the "#1 defensive recruiting class of all time" from '09...he appears to be one of those frustrating, disappointing players who has all the skills, but either out of laziness or lack of conditioning or drive just seems to disappear for whole portions of the game. He'll make an amazing move or play every now and then, making the rest all the more head-scratchingly-strange.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Im just wondering do we move trey back to qb??????????????????????????????????????????
Ya know, I had that same thought early in the 4th qrtr.--but that ship has sailed--he hasn't practiced or even tried to master the playbook in the prostyle offense now run here, just his own Wildcat formation plays, where he DOES get the direct snap.
Even that started looking more practical than the Driskel-run surrender we witnessed in that last half-qrtr. or so.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I get the feeling I'm about the last left here, so Goodnight my fellow damaged-Gators, and I'll turn out the lights as I go.

awebbf5

VIP Member
He IS the one continued let-down out of that defensive "haul", the "#1 defensive recruiting class of all time" from '09...he appears to be one of those frustrating, disappointing players who has all the skills, but either out of laziness or lack of conditioning or drive just seems to disappear for whole portions of the game. He'll make an amazing move or play every now and then, making the rest all the more head-scratchingly-strange.
pretty much like will hill all hype and was a bust

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
STILL HERE BRO.....
Hey man, a few of us still wandering around in a daze, huh? It'll be interesting to see how we all feel about ALL of this after a night or three's sleep. I'm pretty sure my "Future is NOW"-position will only HARDEN with time and further consideration.
Anyway, goodnight, Gator. We re gonna nave a LOT to talk about in the days ahead, bro.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
By the way, one more thought before I go: among the turning points that WE let slip away, there were several that were blatantly TAKEN from us by the officiating. There's no use making too much out of this, since it is so common by now that it has become a "given" that we must expect to overcome if we are to win, but the one that stands out even now, much later, is that out-of-bounds third-down bobble that the back judge right on the scene with the best view called incomplete but the umpire WAY behind the play (and on the other side of the field, fer cryin' out loud) over-ruled him on, so that the "not enough evidence to overturn the onfield call" rule would uphold it, kept our tired defense on the field instead of forcing the 4th down punt from deep in their own end--and that was IT, they proceeded to drive the field to open the 4th qrtr and any chance at a Driskel-led comeback drained away. THAT'S what we're up against, in ADDITION to everything we do to OURSELVES. So we have GOT to be BETTER than everyone else just to play them even, and a LOT better if we want to do to the Tide and anyone else like WE had done to US last night.
Just wanted to remind EVERYONE, myself included, what we're aiming for, and why we have got to aim VERY HIGH.
Let's give Coach Boom, Charlie and the rest the message, loud and clear, that we are ready to make the short and medium term sacrifices, whatever they are and however bad the shortest road getting there must be, in order to get where we know and understand we DO need to get to: TO BE THE VERY BEST. Period.

ShortBus

VIP Member
Can't believe you guys are already writing off Driskel. the kid is what 18? his immaturity showed tonight. lack of practice, lack of focus. not taking the 'be ready at any given time' mantra seriously that back up QB's have to be ready for. If you're the #2 QB you need to be ready to go into the huddle on the next snap if your number is called upon. Hopefully this week he puts forth his full effort in practice and is ready to take the field in Death Valley next Saturday night.. Similar environment, just now the crowd is for the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema