• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Official Game Day Thread: Alabama-Birmingham @ Florida - 9/10: WIN 39 - 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdog

Gator Fan
Got the thread up a little late but here it is! How you guys feeling about the game so far???

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Starting to move out now--but still, too much "last year" happening here--even before the Demps injury (that is exactly what we all feared with relying on the little speedsters)--as I noted over on the "well"-thread, Brantley has NOT looked sharp on most throws over 10-12 yds., and when he DID get it out there "Brickhands" dropped the crucial 3rd down catch in the redzone...Coach can't be all that happy, despite his apparent calm going off the field. We SHOULD be blowing them out big time, but that offense has so far reverted to the self-defeating, choppy one we saw against teams we out-matched last year, as I say.
(As I ALSO noted over on the other thread, my online access has crapped out on me on all fronts--I am so frustrated with both Time Warner AND ESPN 3 right now I just spent a few minutes BURNING them in an email to each their feedback-boxes...meanwhile, so far the only actual visuals I've had have been thru' ESPN news' "Look-ins" on the Highlights Show, infrequent and mainly MORE frustration from what I DID see--looks like I'm stuck with highlights and RUF-online for the duration.)

awebbf5

VIP Member
like trey running the ball was hitting holes and defenders very hard,cant believe rainey is looking as good as he has brantley had a good strong powerful throw before the half but we look sloppy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hope Demps injury is minor--looks like the two fast-guys are our most reliable weapons, unless the rest of this offense begins to show more than it has so far--a LOT more, if we're going to do anything much above mediocre in the SEC this year--and not get those very same little speedsters killed before it's over! Teams are just gonna key on 'em and dare us to stretch the field. This half will be important if we want to give ANYONE reason to be careful in crowding the box.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mind you, we DO have some hard-nosed weapons that we began to show towards the end of the half--maybe with Gillisley in for Demps, that could be the way we shorten this game--just heard that neither Demps nor Jordan Reed came out for the 2nd half, that's bad news on both counts, hope it's just mostly precaution in a game we have in hand--too many penalties, though (but Coach thinks this one is WRONG, apparently?--still we have been sloppy in this area since the kick off in Game 1) Take away on a fumble--finally!! Just when they started to roll, Elam STRIPS it! Come on--review going on and ON...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nuts! ANOTHER penalty on a big play...right in front of the official. That has got to stop. Between the penalties and sloppy play in the redzone we are just leaving points and opportunities for points all over the place. Rainey looks really good, though, along with Burton, too, who's really picked up the slack for Demps' loss. Touchdown! Hey, we are MOVING the ball BETWEEN THE TACKLES on a decent team--better than last week, too.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ya know, we could have had 50-some odd points and been playing Driskell and the third-stringers by now if we had executed in the first half--just an idle thought. Oh well, time for our "D" to get some picks against what HAS to be an all-out pass-attack from here on out--and Brantley should stay in and work on the passing game, if you ask me. Of course, if we keep getting handed a short field (like here, on that failed 4th down fake-out), we may yet BACK into a blow out (little pun in there on Rainey's last TD).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shoot, what do I know? Apparently, we are just fine as a RUNNING team: another nice Gillisley run, this one for TD.
Still, I remain sure it would serve us well to show everyone, including Brantley himself and his teammates, that we can and WILL throw the ball down the field (and we'd enjoy it too, hey?).

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK--I'm weirdly "set-up" now, game on my phone and audio on MAC in background over the Envy...would have given up and gone to the bar by now but Girlfriend here "spends enough time in bars full of yelling guys" (another story unto itself) so here I am (Hey E-, I'm not really following it but she just pointed it out to me--Longhorns had their hands full with BYU tonight, but they just scored late to take the 1-point lead)...this has actually been interesting, Driskell AND Brown seeing full time action along with the back-up O-line...now ANOTHER QB, sound off so I don't know which one--no gain, and we're punting, what, for the 2nd time?
Well. time to start evaluating this game's lessons, promises and warnings, 'cause I don't think we'll be seeing anything but freshmen, back-ups and maybe a walk-on senior or two before the end of this one...
Cool how Coach M handles dominating performances in his own way--not interested in "running it up", once he feels the game is well in hand, he starts moving into "checklist of people who need active game-experience"; I may be more concerned with MY checklist of "THINGS the first team needs work on" still at that point, but he knows a WHOLE lot more about it, in general AND about his team in PARTICULAR, and I probably fixate too much on "points left on the field" AND "impressing the pollsters"--on balance, we didn't hurt ourselves too much in either case tonight (I say that straight faced, though it SOUNDS facetious--Coach agrees with me, according to his comments here post game: notes uneven play in first half, penalties all the way through, etc.)

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I love the run game. I would like to see some vertical passing, like that 17 yard pass from Driskel to Patton. It was also good to see Trey back in the end zone.

So, what did we learn from this game? JB4 is a game manager. Fair enough. Rainey is a stud. Demps is fragile. Burton is a beast. Easley is an awesome dancer. Elam and Riggs like to hit. Gillislee and Brown should get more carries. I think we ran a dozen plays. Tennessee looks scary against what little we have seen at Florida, but I think Florida will open up the playbook next week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We can beat Tennessee--in fact, they need to worry about scoring on US. Our "D" is already so efficient and energized that "good and getting better" may be an understatement, and we get Sharrif back for this one (talk about "energized", Coach will prob have to cool him DOWN). After the Vols, well, this is a young team with a tough schedule...if ever there was a case for "one game at a time", this is IT.
I hope and trust this OC to "open up the playbook" some for this one too--no "it worked last time"-BS will be necessary from Weis. Now, personally I LONG for a "rainbow" into the hands of a long-striding WR (Dunbar?) who streaks by and gets behind the deep coverage, and/or a "bullet-on-a-rope" to one of 'em as he splits the coverage over the middle (once a Gator staple, as I noted over on the Game-thread, I don't recall Brantley hitting one of these since he became the starter LAST season!), but so far Weis and his avatar #12 have shown how to assume control without it; I just figure they'll need it eventually, sooner rather than later, and at this point the advantages of showing you CAN (as I say, to YOURSELVES as much as the opponents--you haven't actually pulled one OFF in a while) outweigh those of hiding when and how you'll spring it, when you DO. It's a blister that's growing, but it IS one that can be simply "lanced": just throw the damn ball! Commit to getting this done, and it will get DONE...that's how this team seems to function.
Am I off base here? Does anyone else think this could get to be a problem, yet one relatively easy to avoid?

Leakfan12

VIP Member
The D looked good, They did shut out UAB. I hope S. Floyd comes back and that the Offense have their A game against those Vols otherwise it's going to be a long night in G-Ville.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Shoot, I been missing the good stuff by not being on the right thread. I got to get better finding my way around here.
I think we've done very well. But help me OUT. I'm worried over the REDZONE. We should of had 12 more then we ended up with. Do y'all see it as a BIG problem or am I on some paranoid trip? We bolt down there then they shut down. It's Stressing me out. :confused:

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Shoot, I been missing the good stuff by not being on the right thread. I got to get better finding my way around here.
I think we've done very well. But help me OUT. I'm worried over the REDZONE. We should of had 12 more then we ended up with. Do y'all see it as a BIG problem or am I on some paranoid trip? We bolt down there then they shut down. It's Stressing me out. :confused:

Don't feel too bad, SP--we've ALL been jumping around since pre-game--started out on "well"-thread, then robdog got the "Gameday"-thread up and running, then IA and Shortbus got a late/post-game thread going with "Harvin back disguised as Rainey"...anyway, skim 'em all and you'll find your concerns echoed in various places, more and more as the game progresses. My concern early of course was that there were too many reminders of LAST year's offense--culminating in the repeated redzone breakdowns. In fact, in my last "overview"-post on that "Harvin back...as Rainey"-thread I propose three main areas of concern and the last and most important one begins, "REDZONE REDZONE REDZONE"--so, yeah, we are definitely on the same page there. Earlier, on the Gameday-thread you can follow the growing frustration with how this developed. Personally, along the way I know I kept worrying about all the points "left on the field" in the first half (and again, I admit that maybe I TOO am fixated on this kind of thing, looking BACK at what we lost and should try to get back rather than ahead, like the coaches and the players MUST do); somewhere in there I tried to come to terms with those concerns and move on, trust the coaches to see and deal with it...and you know, in listening to the players' post-game comments, even the breathless, upbeat ones of some of the offense's playmakers coming off the field, it immediately became clear that THEY were aware of and unhappy with these very same snags--which of COURSE will make the coaches' jobs that much easier in communicating and correcting them. As I also note in that same final post on the "Harvin...Rainey"-thread, this is ultimately more cause for hope, in the short AND the long run.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
Right on. I'm with you. It got me worked up much more then I thought I would become. Remember I was going to let the cards fall where ever but before I knew it I was slinging cards. lol O well WE WON Brother! There's another one for Gator Nation.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Here's an encouraging thought for EVERYONE: First, consider for a moment when you realized we were OK in this one, were going to win this game and it was just a matter of how soon we put it away and by how much, and now we can start thinking about what we need to do to get better, for NEXT week, and how it felt once that happened, and everything after...even with all the uneven, choppy bad-memory play in the early going, didn't you feel it lift, maybe with the sudden 9-point swing at the end of the 2nd qrtr., maybe with that first TD of the 3rd, but there it was. Now, compare that to LAST year: did you EVER feel quite that relaxed and confident? Did we EVER escape that deepening feeling of concern, then frustration, then dread, the whole damn season--or did it just get thicker, deeper, more certain and accepted with each game, even the wins? (I felt like we were hanging on by our fingernails even after killing KY and getting to 4-0).
You know what that feeling is, don't you? It's HOPE, and for a program, team and fan base with the kinds of goals that OURS has, hope, when justified, is a powerful emotion, a sign that something special may be starting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema