• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Murphy is the guy

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think he'll do well against Kentucky because it's Kentucky (they lost to WKU). Hopefully Arkansas as well before going to Baton Rouge.

As long as he keeps making good decisions he will be fine, he made only one bad decision and that was a throw away pass that could have actually been picked off (like he threw it really low).

He will also need to protect himself more, and I will keep it real they need to give him more throwing options, his progression reads are much better than Jeff''s and he had more options to throw to (or our WR's can get better separation) he will pass more instead of having to run so often.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Tyler Murphy is definitely the guy. Honestly, I am happy for Tyler. I am not knocking Jeff Driskel, but Tyler has been a trooper. He considered transferring or changing positions. He became good friends with Jacoby Brissett, and even got some support from Jacoby on Twitter. Tyler volunteered last year to play on the scout team, so he could get lots of snaps as the stand-in opposing QB during practice, and it appears to have paid off. Ty had lots of poise for a QB making this fourth appearance and first start going into his fourth year on the team. He is a real trooper. He is dead set on earning his Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications degree from the College of Journalism and Communications in December! He could have chosen a BS in Sports Management and just enjoyed four years of partying and smoking pot in Gainesville, but instead he has been the silent soldier behind all this turmoil from Urban Meyer/Steve Addazzio to Will Muschamp/ Charlie Weis to Will Muschamp/ Brent Pease. He was the last QB recruited by Urban Meyer (actually Scot Loeffler) to run the Utah/Florida Spread Option offense to remain at QB. Think about that. The other QB in that class was Trey Burton, who has since changed positions.

Escambia94

To amplify the point that Murphy is the guy, note that Tyler had the #4 QBR this week--ahead of Manziel, Murray and Bridgewater who were all part of blowouts or offensive explosions:
RKPLAYERRESULTPASS EPARUN EPASACK EPAPEN EPATOTAL EPAACT PLAYSRAW QBR
1Brett Smith, WYOW 56-23 @ AFA12.69.3-0.2-0.321.56499.0
2Terrel Hunt, SYRW 52-17 vs TULN5.73.10.0-0.18.73098.6
3Bryce Petty, BAYW 70-7 vs ULM5.90.60.0-0.06.53698.5
4Tyler Murphy, FLAW 31-17 vs TENN2.75.80.00.08.52498.1
5Matt Johnson, BGSUW 48-7 vs MURR6.21.70.0-0.17.83097.4
6Dak Prescott, MSSTW 62-7 vs TROY3.23.40.0-0.26.52897.3
7Tyler Stewart, NEVW 31-9 vs HAW9.00.6-1.8-0.17.72597.2
8Taylor Heinicke, ODW 59-58 vs CIT13.05.00.0-0.617.65395.9
9Tom Savage, PITTW 58-55 @ DUKE13.30.0-1.0-0.411.93995.6
10Tommy Armstrong Jr., NEBW 59-20 vs SDST5.10.60.00.25.92295.1
RKPLAYERRESULTPASS EPARUN EPASACK EPAPEN EPATOTAL EPAACT PLAYSRAW QBR
11Kevin Hogan, STANW 42-28 vs ASU3.41.4-0.20.14.72594.6
12Keith Wenning, BALLW 51-20 @ EMU6.40.10.00.26.73192.5
13Johnny Manziel, TA&MW 42-13 vs SMU3.14.10.0-0.07.24292.0
14Aaron Murray, UGAW 45-21 vs UNT8.31.10.00.49.84091.1
15Teddy Bridgewater, LOUW 72-0 vs FIU4.4-0.6-0.20.03.62590.7

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
These are ALL cogent remarks--especially the last 2: Tyler has shown poise and skills of his own that may just settle and ENHANCE an offense that was frankly floundering under Driskel's frantic desperation (yes, let's face it, the kid WAS in the process of BLOWING it--for himself AND the team)...However, we MUST be preparing the young guys for at least ONE to be able to move in, and NOT "just in case", but because Tyler may well NOT have "enough" to beat the top echelon teams when we NEED him to carry the offense and to score TDs (and not just "hold our own and let the D win it"), and anyway we'll need one ready to be The Man by the start of 2014, when we WILL be ready (and expected) to make a true Championship Run--and also, there always IS "just in case", too.
(And PLEASE don't tell me about how JD'll get a medical redshirt and another chance...I'm saying here what most are really thinking: We may well have caught a BREAK when Driskell "caught" HIS--ie. that broken tibia/fibula or whatever (I've heard both) may have saved what's still "savable" of our season, and I don't want or SEE him as anything more yhan a stop-gap 2nd-string for next year, hopefully with no better chance of starting than Tyler had coming into this one!)

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
here is what I noticed ....

for a 1st game, he did much better than any other qb's 1st game i can remember
despite a couple mistakes, it didn't bother him mentally and he seemed to even gain more confidence (driskle didnt)
the offense responded very well to his leadership
he is calm under pressure, and can make something from nothing when he has too

and my favorite

he played on our scout team, so he was quarterbacking against our defense which is amazing experience. this will help us so much.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He's not the classic F-up JD was--an automatic upgrade right there...but how far can he take us is the big Q...We're gonna need a certain amount of offense to win most of the rest of our games after this one.

Ga8or22

Eventis sultorum magister.
I think a lot of it is Champ wants a pro-style QB which Driskel and Murphy are not. They are pre-Champ era. Will is a Champ style pro QB for the future - these guys are more option style. The offense needs to be changed to suit them and their talents otherwise we are screwed. Champ tried to make Jeff into a pro style and he paid for his failure to adjust to the personnel. - Champ is still learning as a Head Coach. Remember defense is his forte!

Escambia94

Also keep in mind that as a defensive coach, Will Muschamp wants the offense to chew up over 30 minutes of clock so his defense can rest. Look at the Oregon defense--they are always tired due to the fast-paced offense.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
@Ga8or22,
Yeah--I'd LOVE to see our Head Coach give our (hopefully flexible and imaginative, as advertised) OC the go ahead to bring SOME of that option/run-off-the-threat-of-the-pass offense to this attack now, given Murphy's background and skill-set...but I doubt that happens. Not even sure that's who PEASE is, after all. Anyone have a bead on who this guy REALLY is, background, tendencies, influence and impact on Boise State attack at its best? Like everyone else, I just kinda went along with the assumption/back-story that he was a quarterback guru, responsible for the blossoming of their smallish, unheralded "finds" at that position, who also cut his teeth on the prev Boise OC's style, philosophy and multiple schemes.
At this point, I'm not so sure--not sure he's shown ANYTHING in terms of game-planning, let alone flexible readjustments, in-game OR from one game to the next.
(As for QB-mentoring, well, jury's still out: It was what JD did ON THE FIELD when the chips were down that sunk him AND us. Let's see what Pease can do with the willing "clay" that is Tyler Murphy. This kid may well be a near-perfect avatar for the right coach's clear "Do this exactly as I say" run-down-the-checklist approach.)

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think a lot of it is Champ wants a pro-style QB which Driskel and Murphy are not. They are pre-Champ era. Will is a Champ style pro QB for the future - these guys are more option style. The offense needs to be changed to suit them and their talents otherwise we are screwed. Champ tried to make Jeff into a pro style and he paid for his failure to adjust to the personnel. - Champ is still learning as a Head Coach. Remember defense is his forte!
Btw, this continues to be a problem--and a pet-peeve of mine: ie. Not adapting to the personnel/team that you have...But you're right: It is a learning experience--and he more or less granted he was bringing in "expert help" on offense to execute that part of his overall plan for this team. As we all must admit (well, most of us), it looked like he'd made a good choice for this in Weis, at the start, then (perhaps this time more wishfully) again, in fact with some relief when Weis jumped and Pease came in. Addazio, Weis, and now Pease--there's still a CHANCE this one turns out to have more than he's shown so far, but GEEZ--starting to look like one short-version of "Why we suck on offense" right there!

Escambia94

Murphy had the 11th best QBR this week even though his QBR has remained at 93 or so. Only Aaron Murray has remained amongst the top QBs as much as Tyler.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He's cool--that's what most impresses me. He wasn't having anything like we've come to already recognize as his "good stuff" in the 1st half on Sat., but he was steady, he stayed with it, and the rest of the offense seemed to follow his lead, worked hard and , even with our running game as choppy and ineffective as we've seen it in 2 years, there was no panic, and eventually it WAS Murphy and the passing game that got the ball moving and gave us what offense and clock-management we had as the game wore on (an amazing statement in itself, with this offense and our OC's general approach thus far). All in all, even on an off day where once again and more than ever it was the defense that took over and won the game for us, it was Murphy and the offense he led that held up its end and ultimately helped to put the game out of reach. Tyler deserves the confidence and trust of his coaches, from here on out, to open up the whole playbook.

Escambia94

Bad news: Murphy's QBR of 50 was #67 in the nation last week. Good news: he was only a few points behind Heisman candidate Tajh Boyd. Basically Murphy was one QB sack away from being ahead of the #3 Heisman candidate this year. If we protect Tyler this week expect him to produce a QBR of about 80, maybe higher.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sorry guys, but I have higher expectations of these Gators than "should do better against Mizzou"...
I know what you're sayin' Lf, and it's not that I disagree--I just don't think that I can backtrack that drastically to a "reality" that requires I be happy and excited at the prospect that "we still could play on New Year's day with 4 or 5 losses"...We are either building towards SEC and National Championships, or it's time to reshuffle the deck, staff and all, and start again.

Escambia94

I am in "2010 mode" right now, meaning that I will be happy if we get seven wins total this year. Can Murphy beat Mizzou in the air if our offensive line and running backs do not improve? Yes. Will he? Maybe. I give him 50/50 odds. Murphy is going to have to throw a lot against Georgia, because their #2 running backs are going to gash our defense. I give that one 1/4 odds. He should beat Vanderbilt. USCw is going to kill us. I do not like Murphy's odds against FSU.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema