• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mullen is coming back

awebbf5

VIP Member
Well I wanted Kelly then Frost, but im not completely disappointed with the hire. I think we will be competitive, but will ee challenge for a national championship with Dan is my biggest worry. O well could be worse, could have had McElwain for another year.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I am not disappointed at all. This is a homecoming for the coach that developed two QBs that became Heisman winners. Welcome home, Dan Mullen!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, he knows offense but ISN'T some "latest all-offense outsider/Lets try THAT again" guy, he has UF history, credentials and experience, and he WASN'T on that seemingly fixated-on list of "guys we should go after" that dominated most of the talk and attention of our AD, boosters and the media last few weeks...
So I am NOT hit by that "sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach" I was expecting at whatever choice that came, WHEN it came.
As you all know, that amounts to my equivalent of "a ringing endorsement", at this point. I'M ready to welcome him, with guarded hope and relative optimism.
We could have done MUCH worse, seems to me: Honestly, I do think that however this goes, given lattitide and a chance to do things his way, Mullen won't dig us DEEPER: He's tough, knows how to win...Given some time and patience, he'll get us headed in the right direction.
This isn't a Gator program ready to "bounce back to the top" next year: There is a lot of work to get done.
Recruiting: QB, the O-line, depth all over, even on Defense...
Conditioning: We are doing SOMETHING wrong there, with all these injuries year after year...
Pride, Discipline, etc etc
All this can begin immediately.
But we can turn the page now, get to work.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well I wanted Kelly then Frost, but im not completely disappointed with the hire. I think we will be competitive, but will ee challenge for a national championship with Dan is my biggest worry. O well could be worse, could have had McElwain for another year.
Almost put the "Happy/Laughing" one up instead--Only reason I didn't is 'cause of serious fact that it is TRUE: We easily COULD have had MacEllwaine back. Only him holding form as a true "Horse's Ass" got him GONE now...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
...And just for the record, before ANYTHING is added to that "record", let's consider for a moment what evidence has accrued SINCE GATOR Coach Dan Mullen's previous stint here at UF (as one of the handful of truly talented staff whom, as we learned right along with him at the time, Urban really COULDN'T "do without")...
He had a winning record at MSU, the SECOND best such record EVER there.
I invite y'all to contibute here: After Vanderbilt, where do you suppose is the HARDEST place to win consistently in the SEC? I would guess it would be UK at No. 2--but it must be in a close heat with Miss State, at least before Mullen got there: For him to build and keep a winning record the whole time there, well, right there is reason enough for hope on OUR part from here on in...

Escambia94

I am willing to bet that if you asked Steve Spurrier, Dan Mullen was the guy the whole time. Spurrier said something to the effect that the coach Stricklin was looking for is currently coaching his team and that no announcement would be made until the end of the season. Stricklin himself hinted that no decision would be made until the end of the season. Well, the regular SEC season just ended yesterday!

Granted, I fell prey to the media frenzy and thought for a while that Stricklin was going all in for Chip Kelly, then Scott Frost. I wanted to believe what I heard initially: there were several vetting teams gauging interest from Kelly, Frost, and Mullen. The media, of course, wants to rank those choices. Common sense says that an AD would and should take the opportunity to vet multiple candidates and rank them when the teams bring back their results. Chip Kelly, of course, is assumed to be the number one candidate due to the airplane tracking. Remember what Stricklin said: he would respect current coaches who are busy preparing teams during the regular season. Kelly is the only candidate not currently coaching, which means he is the only one UF can visit by airplane. UCF's season just ended yesterday, and Frost declined a visit from UF. MSU's season ended yesterday, and Mullen agreed to terms without a visit.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You know, I was thinking much the same thing earlier this aft, considering the announcement in its aftermath--My thoughts being along lines of, "It'd be great if Mullen WAS the first choice all along. Mullen's the kind of guy who WOULD wait until the season was over before any on-the-record 'discussion'--and may WELL have made Stricklin's silence and discretion a condition of that consideration when the time for it finally CAME."
If Stricklin DID have him as his go-to "first choice", that raises my estimation of the man considerably. And if all the rest was part of "playin'it out, stayin'with The Game", "playing" people like Kelly for his OWN reasons the same way Kelly, Frost etc thought they were playing HIM for theirs, then FURTHER kudos to him.
We'll see how it all turns out, but the really cool part, far as I'M concerned is, for now at least WE DON'T HAVE TO WORRY BOUT ANY OF THEM ANY LONGER!
I wish them well, each wherever he lands, but from here on out all I CARE about is Dan Mullen's work here at University of Florida. Until the day comes that we play any ONE of 'em, by definition they JUST DON'T MATTER.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(All in all, we can now turn to the things that really matter, things that we can see, consider, discuss--eventually debate the ultimate results and consequences...For us at least, a whole lot of the unknowns, mysteries have been, if not resolved, then cut down to size, set aside and/or at least for the moment rendered moot.)
Actually reason not just for relief, but excitement.

Escambia94

After further research, it turns out that MSU started getting stingy with Mullen's contract a couple years ago. He switched agents to Jimmy Sexton just last year. This means that Sexton could have negotiated for both Mullen and Stricklin (two of his clients) rather easily and without drawing a lot of attention. I honestly believe Mullen was the first choice the entire time. Mullen and Stricklin are friends. Mullen is familiar with Gainesville. Mullen changed his agent to the same one as Stricklin when MSU started getting stingy with him. It is too perfect.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
You know, I "knew" all these details (friends, past/prev/ current associations and so on), but as part of a fragmented ball of facts entangled amongst a whole LOT of this kind of thing among everyone I was hearing about and everything that I heard or read at different times in different places...I guess I got "LOST" in it somewhat, "couldn't see the forrest for the TREES".
In retrospect it seems like to some extent THAT was the IDEA, the hope anyway. No problem, if so: Hey, I WANT our AD to be a smart operator, his "own man" with his own connections, opinions and sharp idea of what he is looking for--and plans as to what he's going to DO about it. (Now I'm secretly hoping that he "surprised" the boosters somewhat here TOO.)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I am not disappointed at all. This is a homecoming for the coach that developed two QBs that became Heisman winners. Welcome home, Dan Mullen!

TWO? I get Tebow but the another one, are you counting Cash Newton? Honestly I think that's more on the Auburn coach than Mullen. Though Mullen taught Dak Prescott whose now the Cowboys starter and Nick Fritzgerald whose probably will get drafted.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Mmmm...Personally I don't even like THINKING about the whole C Newton thing--Not sure how to feel, and no matter what ALWAYS feel kinda dirty after it...)
Meanwhile, been bouncing this hire around in my head, getting comfortable and used to the idea...Gotta tell y'all though, also been jumpin' round the web, seeing what "they" are saying bout it all--and ONE thing I keep having to face is private EMBARRASSMENT: I can't BELIEVE I once again, in spite of myself, started to let the excremental droppings of the "media pundits" seep into my awareness, along the way even started taking some of it SERIOUSLY, over the weeks actually letting it shape my thinking, deepen my despair...How could I forget?: THEY ALWAYS GET IT WRONG!!!
Perfect example...Here is ESPN's headline/ announcement of OUR HIRE:
"FLORIDA SWINGS FOR FENCES, ENDS UP WITH SAFE PICK IN DAN MULLEN"
Not only does it now seem pretty clear that it didn't happen that way at ALL, that Stri klin at least wanted Mullen all along, went and GOT him soon as he was available, but the implication that somehow the preferred "BIG Move" would have been Kelly, then failing that, settling for his protege down state (that's not just implied in the headline, but further developed in the sunsequent column), is certainly NOT AT ALL the automatic assumption--only the more media-hyped one. But even I was somewhat affected by all that for awhile, all loudly trumpeted while we eere WATCHING our loathsome offense flounder the whole time right in front of us. Fact is, setting aside no O-line and a QB who alternated between flashes of timely talent and dumbass refusal to learn from REPEATED and foolish mistakes, the actual philosophy of offense and overall potential at least BEGAN to change for the better IMMEDIATELY upon "offense and quarterback guru" MacEllwaine's firing.
Don't wanna jump the gun, say too much too fast after going through all we have with that guy in particular (and general disapointment EVERY time we made a change and got our hopes up last SEVERAL times)...So for now I'll stick with "cautiously hopeful", and "Let's give he and his people a chance, see what they do with it, beginning with all to do in the weeks n months ahead..."
As for the rest, "reaction in the sports world" etc-- I warn you to remember: As is always important to remember, "It is ALL horse shit--and they are proving that once again out there..."

Escambia94

Chip Kelly was one of several coaches considered, but he was not the best fit. Kelly would have trouble recruiting and coaching in the SEC. He does not understand Florida or the SEC. He does not have a family.

Scott Frost is just a younger, better looking version of Jim McElwain. Both won as assistants under renowned coaches in P5 programs, but both became head coaches in G5 programs.

Scott Stricklin will not divulge his complete list, but I would imagine that Charlie Strong checked every box except having an offensive background. Willie Taggart checked every box except having SEC experience and an understanding of Florida's heritage. Mike Gundy, if he were actually on the final list, only checks the box as an offensive coach. Most other names we heard were fan fantasy being repeated by the media.

If you watch Dan Mullen's press conference, you will see that he was the absolute best hire. He will be fine. We will be fine. Go Gators!

Ufgatorfan

VIP Member
I admit Kelly would have been an interesting hire. I was however a little sceptical that once he had a couple of good seasons and a NFL team came calling he would of bolted. Plus I think he didn’t have the attitude fir the SEC or UF.

Frost would have been a good hire but I was always concerned about his coaching experience. I’m not sure he would have lasted with such high expectations. Frost might be a one hit wonder but that’s yet to be seen.

Kelly and Frost would have had the wow factors but when all the dust settlers Mullen has the experience, attitude, offensive mind and winning formula when it comes to a program. Mullen has proven he can run a winning program and develope talent. His only knock is recruiting but let’s be honest it’s kinda hard to recruit to Starkville. I have a good feeling about him and I loved his pres conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Escambia94

I am curious why Frost, in his second year at UCF in a weak conference is seen as a more exciting hire than Mullen who was the OC during two national championships at Florida and as HC of State he got them to 7 consecutive bowl games--in a place that had not seen successive bowl years since 1999 & 2000 or 1980 & 1981! Only Gus Malzahn and Les Miles have performed better against Alabama, and both of those teams were loaded with 4 and 5 star players. Mullen has fielded some very good teams filled with 3 star recruits, JUCO transfers, and a couple 4 stars who happen to be from Mississippi.

Kelly was intriguing, but not a good fit. I doubt Kelly would have survived more than a couple years, when the excitement died down. Kelly said he does not like to recruit, but in the SEC everybody is recruiting in your backyard. In the Pac-12 Kelly is not fighting against current and former national champions for more than a couple recruits. In the SEC recruiting every position from punter to quarterback is a contest against 10 teams with realistic championship aspirations and 100 teams robbing you of a critical piece of your championship aspirations.

I am perfectly happy with Dan Mullen. I would have also accepted Charlie Strong, but only if he promised a good OC was part of the package. Other than those two, there were no perfect fits based on Stricklin's criteria. The others are just exciting on paper.

One thing I might like to see is Willie Taggart or Mike Gundy go to Tennessee or Mississippi State for 8-10 years and take over for Dan Mullen if he gets burned out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema