• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mizzou's fumble happy defense visits The Swamp

travisduncan

Gator Fan
uspw_6692056.jpg

October 27, 2012; Columbia, MO, USA; Missouri Tigers defensive lineman Kony Ealy (47) and Missouri Tigers defensive back E.J. Gaines (31) celebrate after scoring a touchdown on a fumble during the fourth quarter at Faurot Field. The Missouri Tigers defeated the Kentucky Wildcats 33-10. Dak Dillon-US PRESSWIRE

By Travis Duncan
Gator Envy Writer

Missouri is not yet an SEC power, but they have had great success stripping the football.

Ironically after the Gators coughed it up it up four times in a loss to Georgia they face a Tiger team which ranks No. 2 in college football with 14 fumbles recovered. Ball security was probably mentioned a time or two during this week's Gator practices so we expect to see Gators holding on to the ball for their life. Missouri wants to use defense and special teams to make up for an offense that is really struggling. Also the Tigers have recorded 19 sacks on the season.

Missouri will have quarterback James Franklin returning from injury. Franklin is a mobile quarterback recovering from a shoulder injury and suffered a sprained MCL.

Tiger head coach Gary Pinkel said that Franklin has not played healthy all year but has the potential to be a "great quarterback."

"They've gone to a spread attack and been very different to what a lot of people have seen in The Swamp as far as the empty and the one-back and the exotic formations and the things they do," coach Will Muschamp said this week.

In short the Tiger offense is struggling.

Missouri ranks as one of the worst offenses in the nation. The Tigers have generated the fewest offense yards per game (284.6) for their program since 1995.

They rank 102nd in FBS with 189.1 passing yards per game and 94th overall with 128.3 yards per game.

Defensively they rank in the middle of the pack of the SEC. Against SEC teams, in four games, the Tigers have given up 25.5 points per game, which includes 41 points to Georgia and 31 to South Carolina.

"The Sheldon Richardson kid up front is a kid we have to account for," Offensive coordinator Brent Pease said this week.

Richardson as an interior defensive tackle leads the entire Missouri team with 57 tackles.

"They don't do a lot of exotic stuff, but they are definitely good at what they do, they tackle well, they play leverage well, and they rally to the ball," said Pease.

"They all have good motors."

Pease said besides turnovers, the Gators biggest problem against Georgia failure to score in the red zone. Red zone scoring is one aspect the Gators would like to improve this week against a weaker but still talented Missouri defense.

Coach Will Muschamp said that several players were battling the flu this week, including Leon Orr and Matt Elam. Orr was actually admitted to the hospital and won't play Saturday, but it sounds like Elam and anyone else affected will be fine in time for kickoff Saturday.

Kickoff at The Swamp is at Noon ET. The game will be broadcasted on ESPN2.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
So: Eliminate the fumbles and we ROLL. Yeah, that figures...Last time I'll venture down this road, but that pretty well sums up LAST week's game to a great extent, in retrospect. If ever there was a game that we can and should dominate from start-to-finish, it is this one: the means and the motivation HAS to be there this time.

NaffGutts

Gator Fan
agreed, i think they'll come out with some passion and anger in this one. i predict Elam having a big day with some Tigers.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I disagree. The stats are slightly skewed due to injuries to their star player, James Franklin. I am not hailing their QB as the best in the land, but he did miss the ASU and Alabama games. He missed a large portion of the Vanderbilt and Kentucky games.

The Gators need to hit Franklin hard early in the game and put the fear of Allah into him early. If that is how they show their passion and anger, then the Gators can win. If they come out sucking like last week, then I will be sure to cancel my cable TV before the FSU game so I don't have to watch another embarrassing offense like last week.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Escambia94

Well, you had it pegged. Looking into "satellite" as loophole to get you through this after what we saw earlier today, E-? The problem with "FSU still-TK" remains, regardless. Btw, what do YOU think of my "Open Letter to Will" and related-thoughts and sentiments expressed re what is at the very least his central position of approve/disapprove of overall offensive strategy, now and through to the end of the season?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema