• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Meanwhile, Back To Prepping for the Loser Bowl...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
In typical GE fashion, I'm gonna throw a possible "dire concern" out there for argument's sake:
I know all about "normal timing and accepted procedures"--but why the HELL would we give a DAMN about any of that now?
The only acceptable reason why we'd npw appear to drag our feet, slow down and let everyone ELSE catch up as far as grabbing our next Coach, the "Guy We Want", is because we don't HAVE ONE, or found we couldn't GET the person we held in far and away highest esteem. In which case we'd presumably have backed off, considered our remaining alternatives while seeing what our "Interim Coach" Randy Shannon could do. To me, only that would logically explain the latest apparent shift to "not so fast"/"we're thinking" vibe, and the self-enforced limbo that "The Search" has seemed to have slipped into.
Along with his talent and virtues as a coach, Shannon is a heckuva recruiter, knows Florida, is well-liked and respected among prep players and Coaches. He was already key in that roll for us under MacEllwaine--and if he can additionally bring a calm consistency back through these last few games, along with continuing to seemingly reignite the spirit, hope and general sense of TEAM to the current squad, well, maybe then this all makes sense: We let him have the room and time to do all that while we at least do our best to make sure we get "The Right Guy" in this time. There are even a few (in and out of the program) who think Randy himself could even be that person--or at least grow into it. Whether it's a matter of not knowing WHO it is, or having a pretty good idea but (for whatever reason) not yet being able to get him, it's certainly looking as if for the moment at least, we could do worse than Mr. Shannon.
But taking our time because "that's how it's done" and "that's what's expected", and/or some sort of "cover our asses"/"play negotiation hardball"/"this way they can't say we didn't think it through or rush into it this time" kinds of reasoning would be exceedingly stupid: knowing what had to be done, getting it done and "our chosen man" in to begin the rebuild/reboot going now, all in advance of everyone else who'll soon be doing their own supposed version of same is one of the few advantages we had in a bad situation to all intents "still mid-SEASON".
In which latter case, then, silly me for thinking those "behind-the-scenes power-Gators" purposefully made their move when they did, in a sense jumping on an OPPORTUNITY to get things moving when they did.
Still hope it's some version of the former set of possibilities, that there's a long range plan being enacted, maybe even another "shoe that will be dropped" eventually...

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Actually I'm calling it the who wants to play in a bowl game because whoever wins gets number six and a good chance to play in a bowl. I know I know a crap bowl but still. Unsure if Randy Shannon will be the guy next season though he might get a good look if the team beat the SOW and wins the bowl game (big if).

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida is not playing for a bowl game. Someone is Gainesville quoted Shannon or Stricklin or somebody saying that UF would not accept a bowl but during this coaching change. Florida's bowl game will be in denying FSU a bowl game.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I wonder if the whole "Do we play in a bowl?" thing would be different had we played (and won, of course) the one missed due to hurricane.
Though my first reaction was that it was the right decision, that we should NOT, BUT: further consideration (having to do with how the Seniors, rest of TEAM felt, alomg with the usual "advantages" of extending season, practice time, higher profile etc) was eating away at my resolve. Guess I can see it both ways--but decision was made, and apparently will stand.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I wonder if the whole "Do we play in a bowl?" thing would be different had we played (and won, of course) the one missed due to hurricane.
Though my first reaction was that it was the right decision, that we should NOT, BUT: further consideration (having to do with how the Seniors, rest of TEAM felt, alomg with the usual "advantages" of extending season, practice time, higher profile etc) was eating away at my resolve. Guess I can see it both ways--but decision was made, and apparently will stand.

The Gators could beat FSU and qualify for a bowl game at 5-6 based on its Academic Progress Report (APR), which is is among the top in the nation. FSU absolutely must beat UF and hope that a couple teams with better APR finish with an additional loss.

To answer your question, the missed game does not affect Florida's qualification for a bowl game or the decision to outwardly campaign for a bowl game--at least not as much as the effect of the impending coaching change has on that decision. UF officials know that they will hire their new coach sometime before the bowl selection committee, which means they will be dismissing up to 9 coaches at the same time. What if UF announced on, say, December 7th that they were hiring Chip Kelly or Scott Frost or Dan Mullen, and at the same time, the new coach announced 9 new assistant coaches? That would mean that the current coaching staff would be preparing the team for a bowl game knowing that the day afterwards they would be shopping for new jobs. The intent of this decision is to give these assistants more time to find new jobs. Remember: the athletic director only hires the head coach; the head coach hires the assistants. Those contracts are treated very differently. Assistants' jobs, families, and and livelihoods are dependent upon the head coaches, so it makes sense to minimize turmoil for the assistants. When an AD fires the head coach, he does not fire the nine assistants. The fate of the nine assistants rests with the head coach, and they are not under any obligation to coach a team without their head coach in a bowl game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema