• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LSU prediction time

News Bot

News Bot
Ok, I’ll go ahead and admit it. I made a fool of myself by picking the Gators to upset then No. 3 Alabama last Saturday. In retrospect, it was just dummy on my part (although I still think if John Brantley had played the entire game it would have been a much different game, if not result).
I made a mistake. I misjudged the Gators’ talent on both lines of scrimmage. I thought the UF defensive line was stout and would slow down Trent Richardson. I thought the UF offensive line would protect John Brantley and create some openings for Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey. I thought the Gators would find a way.
I was wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong again.
But guess what? I’m predicting another Gator victory this week.
A moral victory.
I know, I know. At a program like Florida, there is no such thing. In this case there is. The Gators go into Baton Rouge against the nation’s No. 1 team with a true freshman quarterback (Jeff Driskel) and all kinds of questions about just how good they are on both lines of scrimmage.
This could really get ugly, especially if Driskel can’t move the offense and the Florida defense is on the field the whole game.
I’m predicting that won’t happen. I think Driskel, with the expert guidance of Charlie Weis, will manage the offense and the Gators will take care of the ball. And I’m predicting the Gators will play much better on defense against an LSU offense that is potent, but has had some struggles of its own.
It would take a perfect game by Florida and a bunch of mistakes by LSU for the Gators to win this game. I don’t see that happening.
But I do see the Gators covering that almost two-touchdown spread.
If they can do that, it’s a victory — a moral victory that will help the Gators move forward with a talented freshman quarterback for the rest of the season.
Prediction: LSU 24, Florida 14.

Source: GatorSports.com - Robbie's Playbook

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It is because we appear to be left with "moral victories" this year (I HATE "moral victories"--or rather, the IDEA of "moral victories", which I really don't believe in at all) that I have "turned the page" on how I view this season, and instead will now concentrate on what we can do to prepare for NEXT year. I understand that the coaches can't completely surrender to that view, but I'll be looking for the ways in which they accomplish this while dealing with the challenges at hand.
This will mean mainly a focus on the quarterback, of course, but nothing short of some dazzling break-out by one of our freshmen will do much to salvage THIS season's highest hopes...no, got to look at this not just as "good experience" for the young QBs, but as a valuable "auditioning process" that the coaches wouldn't have had any other way.
We do still have a stout defense (assuming they are able to regroup--and recall the basics of tackling), and unless I miss my guess, Charlie will have some interesting ideas on how to use what he knows we've still got on offense...
ALL of us who, for a moment there, hoped for more, have to cut ourselves some slack: we "voted with out hearts", yes, but we can never know how emotion and a healthy #12 might have swung things--fate took a hand and left us exposed...but now we have to face where we're at, as a team, here and now.
So: Can't "fool" myself any longer. Even though I believe we'll rally together and hold our own this week, I cannot see us winning in Death Valley this time: 28-20, LSU.
Please: Just don't call it a "moral victory".

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
First DRU Ron is A SMELLY PIRATE HOOKER.Lol.

Dru I'm with you. The whole season for us fell apart last week. Were sent scrambling to find our new HEART of the team. As you noted earlier it's gloves off for the competition we will be seeing for the rest of the yr. so with that being said I do feel like the cream will rise to the top. Some times things happen for a reason I feel this is no different. These young QBs came from HS highly recruited so they got to be good. My question is WHEN? Now some take yrs. and some by the time they put their cleats on the field its a instant success. Why I don't know but it seems to work that way. I noticed Driskel in the Under Armour game pretty much doing what he wanted to do at will. So this seems to soothe me a little more then I norm. would feel with us in this position. My only drawback is I'm hoping we DON'T OVERLOOK the real QB. Our coaches did let ummm Cam slip right out of our fingers while were struggling with Brantley in 2010 with CN going on to win everything else.No I don't agree with everything he did but the things he did had nothing to do with his God given talent. I know practice tells loads of info but In the game is very different and some players DON'T practice well. So I'm still looking towards our sideline for help and I'm hoping our coaches are going to do what they said they were going to do. PLAY THE BEST ONE no matter of who he is. The BEST one for the job.

OK I went on poke a fork in me I'm done. But I'm going to go on out in DEEP water. LSU 17 UF 21 Reason for this is LSU doesn't know for sure who they will be matching up with. I will call it The Unknown Gator Theory. I refuse to give up sorry. I'm know I'm dumb but O well. I just try not to give up...

Ron is still a smelly pirate hooker. Even if I'm wrong.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, might as well march ME off the gangplank too, SP, but I just can't set myself up for another knockdown, not yet--not without more reason than "how I wish it was". It'll still hurt; in fact, I don't think I really believe my own "realism"...but at least I begin protecting myself now.
I still have a great deal of hope and confidence in Driskel (JD), though. He's really big (6'4", 225 lbs., and still growing up and out), really young (JUST turned 18), and really raw (though bright and coming along fast). I've got a good feeling about him AND Brisset (the OTHER "JB")--the latter is even bigger and is said to have the stronger arm (and I was therefore hoping we could redshirt him). I like and support the idea that "the best one in practice plays", but I've been rooting for JD to stay in there, for the sake of our long term set up. Given the chance, I think he'll make us proud, but he HAS to begin to show improvement now, with the game simplified and designed around him by Weis. You're right about "in practice" and "in game" being two different things entirely.
As for the whole Cam fiasco, that wasn't entirely a "whiff" on Meyer and his coaches' part: aside from the same kinds of raw talent our present freshmen QBs showed in highschool, Cam had done little positive and a whole LOT negative, unacceptable, unethical and ILLEGAL by the time he slunk away from the program with the "consent and best wishes" of the UF coaching staff. It's too bad he couldn't do all that learning and growing up in Gainesville instead of all over the place, but then again, Cecil was there--and WE'RE not under investigation for the most serious of recruiting violations, as Auburn STILL is.
As I said coming INTO this season regarding my pessimism THEN, no one will be happier than me to be wrong, so I deeply support your Unknown Gator Theory--I just don't believe it will swing the whole outcome our way.
So mark me down for keelhauling if I'm wrong, I will gladly submit--and come up happy and gasping for air if the Gators can find a way to pull out a win at Death Valley.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)

I was a fool as well in picking the Gators to upset Alabama. Taking off the O&B glasses, the Gators looked like a JV team matching up against varsity for half the game. JB4 did pass for almost 200 yards in only a half, so we can assume that if the offensive line had held we could have continued to throw on them or they would have backed off to give us room to run. The problem is in the trenches. I do not get it. Micky Marotti is considered one of the best strength and conditioning coaches, but our linemen on both sides of the ball looked like JV players. They were getting pulled to the ground, beat to the punch, and planted on their duffs all day. That ties into the LSU game because I know that even with Jeff Driskel or Jacoby Brissett or Tyler Murphy we can probably throw on LSU, but their offensive and defensive lines are similar in size and strength as Alabama's.

Speaking of size, here are some numbers for you.

OT 73 Xavier Nixon | 6-6, 292, Jr., 2V 6 6 292
OT 71 Matt Patchan | 6-6, 292, Jr., 2V 6 6 292
OG 56 Dan Wenger | 6-3, 294, Sr., TR 6 3 294
OG 67 Jon Halapio | 6-3, 324, So., RS 6 3 324
C 72 J. Harrison | 6-3, 295, So., RS 6 3 295
3 6 4 299.
The Gator offensive line averages 3 years of experience, is 6'4", and weighs just under 300 pounds at 299.4.

DE 4 Sharrif Floyd | 6-3, 295, So., 1V 6 3 295
DE 7 Ronald Powell | 6-4, 248, So., 1V 6 4 248
DT 2 Dominique Easley | 6-2, 282, So., 1V 6 2 282
DT 6 Jaye Howard | 6-3, 303, Sr., RS 6 3 303
LB 34 Lerentee McCray | 6-2, 246, Jr., 2V 6 2 246
LB 3 Jelani Jenkins | 6-0, 230, So., RS 6 0 230
LB 52 Jon Bostic | 6-1, 243, Jr., 2V 6 1 243
2.4 6 2 264.
The Gator defensive line averages 2.4 years of experience, is 6'2", and weighs 263.8 pounds.

Compare Florida:
Offensive line - 6'4", 299.4 pounds, 3 years experience
Defensive line - 6'2", 263.8 pounds, 2.4 years experience

Compare that to Alabama:
Offensive line - 6'4", 313 pounds, 1.8 years experience
Defensive line - 6'3", 275 pounds, 2.6 years experience

Now compare to LSU:
Offensive line - 6'5", 309 pounds, 2.2 years experience
Defensive line - 6'3", 250 pounds, 1.7 years experience

Our offensive line is 14 pounds lighter than Alabama's, but only 10 pounds lighter than LSU, but is much more experienced.
Our defensive line is bigger than LSU's by 14 pounds, but smaller than Alabama's by 11 pounds, and is more experienced than LSU's.

I still think this one is won in the trenches, and with Charlie Weis crafting a way to get the quarterback confident to throw and the running backs some room to get into space. 21-19, Gators in the upset.

totenkopf13

Gator Fan
I too ascribe to Swamp's Unknown Gator Theory. It may work this week. After that, probably not. Same as the 3 headed monster approach last year. Granted, this a totally different coaching staff that should be more imaginative than their predecessors.

I can't help but be optimistic. At least at this point in the season.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I tried to unravel the implications of those numbers...What do you think it all adds up to, E-? I suppose we'll know better AFTER the LSU game, but what about going INTO it? When it comes to our respective lines, I THINK it might indicate better match-ups in both directions, but for entirely different reasons: their offense could be slower, and their defense could be smaller and weaker.
The unanswered questions may be ones that kill us twice: why didn't that extra experience count for more, and where was the fire and passion, not to mention conditioning and basic technique, in the LAST game?
My working theory is that we were already missing too many pieces, in terms of depth and experience TOGETHER, to overcome any kind of "off game" from either line; that AND losing the key to an already one-dimensional attack (to a great extent restricted to THAT because of the trouble along the lines that day) doomed us over all. Offense couldn't stay on the field, over-matched defense couldn't catch a breather OR a break OFF of it.
OK, we've got enough talent, coaching and (if we can rally together as a team) fire to bounce back, and I still think we match up better against LSU than this year's Tide, but after seeing all of our "intangibles" ripped away along with our illusions, I can't quite pick us to win. I'm sticking with my short term pessimism, for now.
Again, it is clear what we need to do: We need to get bigger, stronger and NASTIER, and this coaching staff intends to do just that. They're going after at least TWO of EVERYTHING, as much as possible take chance out of the equation.
In the meantime it is talent, coaching, and a combination of pride, passion, and yes, luck that we'll need to salvage THIS season. Can't count on that last one, but you make your own, then you make it WORK for you.
We've GOT to start building towards next season too, though--we have a chance to have some of next year's questions answered by the time we get there, and with some of the new pieces coming given a chance to play as freshmen we could hit the ground running, so to speak. I know, it seems early, but we've been hit with a head-on collision that derailed our hurtling train; if we are a "local" now, let's find our new engineer and brakemen and train them, at least until we're ready to roll again.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I was in hopes to get these replies. That's why I love GE. I know right now our future is very uncertain but it should be shaping up very soon. Soon as even today. Boy do I hate #12 being hurt buttttt we will get to see our new boys coming on in sooner then expected.Which is good.Even for this yr..

With my reply I didn't expect really no one to agree. Cause I know I 'm out there in left field with the sun in my eyes by even thinking the unthinkable of us even holding our own against LSU. But my thoughts are the TEAM belonged to JB so when he went DOWN the spirit or fire left with him not just by him exiting the game but how the players emotions left them. Their train of thought was left in the locker room IMO. Players are very funny in beliefs such as who leads them. So I believe they lost themselves to the injury of JB at the moment.

Now with the sun still rising Sunday morning The coaches scrambling to watch film, trying to figure out who the QB is going to be, figuring out what happened on both the OL, DL and why there were so many mistakes in our secondary. There have been lots of things in the works this week I'm sure.

Butttt now most important ( to me ) the players know who will be there leader this week, and they should feel confident in his abilities given it being running, throwing or what ever he may be doing. Now they've felt his timing, his strong and weak points. They know this by know which to me would be tons better then like last week when they threw something together in the heat of the moment. It's like when I posted in the beginning of the yr. how I wished JB would throw screens, short routes to build everyone up in their abilities and then take off the gloves and go at it. Well they did and I believe the gloves were coming off till the end of the 2/4 . The bottom line is they found their leader and I feel they will Rally around him. It's a players mindset (to me) that controls his abilities.

Given the fact LSU don't really know who is QB or the film to study to get a feel on how the offense will run with HIS game plan installed PLUS with the LEADER role of our offense established this week IN PRACTICE with our players knowing who it is. I just got to believe we still got the fight left in us to survive this one. OK I know I went out in deep water but I feel like it's worth it. If not It is what it is. We will grow better the next time out. But I've not given up yet nor do I think I will any this yr. given how well we preformed up until 1/2 a game ago. It's was 30 minutes of unprepared, total CHAOS at it's worst.

But I will eat the crow :)poop:) if it's served to me with my head held high if we give it 100%.

OK THE END....LOL,,,,,,,,:sleep:

Escambia94

One thing that statistics does not capture is leadership, or mojo. Jeff Driskel had it in high school, and he showed it during the Meyer-Muschamp transition. We will find out if he can show it on the field. He did not show it in mop up duty because he did not prepare to be the starter. I believe he will be named starter for today, and his head will be in the game to lead the Gators to victory. As long as Weis lets him play to his capabilities and not to Brantley's, he should be fine. Then again, if the rumors are true about walking around campus in a boot, then he might have to be like Brantley. Note to offensive line: fix the blocking, please. We cannot go through quarterbacks like toilet paper.

My stats may show that theoretically our offensive line may get bullied again, but our defensive line should not...assuming they get back to the fundamentals.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
DRISKEL getting injured near the end of the Tide game really screwed with the "at least we know who our leader is" scenario. That's why I was so sure there was something TO his injury, and that Charlie's vagueness was NOT some tactical "mindgame". Whatever sports writers might think, the importance of that (in SP's words) "heart at the center" of the players' trust and fire is hugely important in the college game, and far outweighs whatever advantage keeping everyone ELSE in the dark may bestow.
Oh well, we do what we can. I still think LSU is not the powerhouse match-up problem that Alabama was...if we had #12 OR the home-field I'd actually be picking Gators in a close one. Our "D" will acquit itself proudly, I think.
The key is on the "O"-line. No matter WHO the QB is, he'll need some protection AND a running game just to compete on the scoreboard in a close, defensive struggle, our best-case scenario.
Of course, in the back of all our die-hard Gator-minds is the small hope that WITH that support, a QB-star is born in just such a dire situation. In our dreams, THAT is what's all over the post-game Scoreboards this evening--"JD/JBII/TM Steps Into Big Shoes To Lead Stunning Gator Victory!"...but this will probably be as much an extended process as everything else entailed in transforming this team from what-it-is to what-it's-going-to-be.

Escambia94

I sure hope the offensive linemen feel like crap for letting both quarterbacks get killed. If JD's injury is serious, they better work harder to protect JB (Jacoby Brissett, not John Brantley). I just looked at the LSU plays and it looks like they constantly put the inexperienced quarterback behind a maximum protection scheme, which also simplifies the reads since there are fewer receivers running routes. They go with twin tight end sets and when the quarterback is comfortable throwing to his one or two receivers from that max protect, they start releasing the tight end for check passes. Alternatively they use one tight end for strong protection with the running backs sliding up to help block and then the TE or RB will begin to release. Not a bad game plan. I hope Weis has a similar plan to protect our quarterbacks, especially with Honey Badger licking his chops for an INT or a sack or a strip. Think of Ahmad Black with faster wheels. On defense we may not be able to break that offensive line for sacks, but we need to get in his head...and do it despite that max protect or strong protect scheme.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I know exactly what you are referring to in the LSU offense, E-, I recognize the same thing--and hope that WEIS can find another way, one that accomplishes similar goals but doesn't LOOK like their offense at ALL. What I fear of course is that this particular low-risk/high-percentage approach is the one the Tiger defense sees in practice EVERY DAY. See where I'm going? Charlie has his own 2-TE sets, maybe we can make the APPARENT similarities work against them, mess with their "expectations". That's the ONLY way to slow down Badger: get him to over-commit early on, if you can, may have him hesitating once he's been beaten a couple of times. Tall order, but it's been done.
These are our options, for the time being--tactical surprise, misdirection, get them spinning their wheels. Tire them out, then win at the end on a fieldgoal. It's been done: Ali took apart a much bigger and stronger, much-feared-as-unstoppable George Foreman in "The Rumble In the Jungle" with his "rope-a-dope" strategy. It isn't nearly so "simple" (if that's the word) in football, with so many separate "parts", but you get the idea.
Personally, I'd MUCH rather be "the Monster" in college football--if you keep your head, stay together as a team and execute, you will WIN, and nothing short of a combination of complacency on your part and a "perfect storm" of heroes, tricks and bounces in the other guy's favor can beat you.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
DRISKEL getting injured near the end of the Tide game really screwed with the "at least we know who our leader is" scenario. That's why I was so sure there was something TO his injury, and that Charlie's vagueness was NOT some tactical "mindgame". Whatever sports writers might think, the importance of that (in SP's words) "heart at the center" of the players' trust and fire is hugely important in the college game, and far outweighs whatever advantage keeping everyone ELSE in the dark may bestow.
Oh well, we do what we can. I still think LSU is not the powerhouse match-up problem that Alabama was...if we had #12 OR the home-field I'd actually be picking Gators in a close one. Our "D" will acquit itself proudly, I think.
The key is on the "O"-line. No matter WHO the QB is, he'll need some protection AND a running game just to compete on the scoreboard in a close, defensive struggle, our best-case scenario.
Of course, in the back of all our die-hard Gator-minds is the small hope that WITH that support, a QB-star is born in just such a dire situation. In our dreams, THAT is what's all over the post-game Scoreboards this evening--"JD/JBII/TM Steps Into Big Shoes To Lead Stunning Gator Victory!"...but this will probably be as much an extended process as everything else entailed in transforming this team from what-it-is to what-it's-going-to-be.

DRU let's hope these boy's got some BIG OLE FEET ..The count down is on. I'm looking forward to seeing our future. You said it in another post some where on here THE FUTURE IS NOW. My friend those words are so true. Like it or not given it being Driskel or The DRUNKEN KNUCKLE HEAD who was passed out last week in the stands his time is NOW. I will be cheering him on.

Side note to how I feel or think; My brother and I race in different types of motorsports Karting and Hobbystock racing. Every time we go race WE EXPECT TO WIN. I don't give a flip if Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, or Tony Stewart is going to be there. We expect to WIN. Screw second no one ever asks who finished second IT'S WHO WON.

Just last night on ESPNU Lowndes High hosted Valdosta High on prime time TV we were down LHS 17 VHS 7 with just a little more the 1 min. to go. VHS came back and scored 2 TDS in 48 seconds. Leaven a STUNNED LHS team 17 seconds on the Clock. OK the best part Lowndes is in the Top 20's in the NATION even ranked 16th earlier in the yr. in H/S . We did this with our 2nd string QB and a short but stocky RB by tossing a little screen pass.< TRUE STORY google it check me out.
Bottom Line: If your going to play why not play to WIN. Some ONE will it might as well be you. Never settle for second. MINDSET WIN. I hope this is us. We will find out shortly.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just to throw ANOTHER log on that fire, I got a text-msg. from "Gator-Insider" that Brisset's HS coach says that JBII "has hinted he will start" today...I don't think it's the end for JD no matter HOW things turns out today, but this IS an opportunity for the once-4th-string-and-headed-for-redshirting QB to "bust out" ...now I just got a LATER msg. from a friend whose brother-in-law is a Gator grad-assistant/intern: "Brisset WILL be starting; Driskel didn't dress". Wow.
THIS should be interesting, to say the least.

I'll be going over to the "Game Day Thread" soon--like, now. Don't forget about that one.

Escambia94

After seeing similar problems with the Texas Short Horns against OU, I hope Florida does not get beat down in a similar manner. The clowns on ESPN even said "poor Florida...playing back to back number one caliber teams without their starting quarterback". Come on guys, prove the world wrong!

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
After seeing similar problems with the Texas Short Horns against OU, I hope Florida does not get beat down in a similar manner. The clowns on ESPN even said "poor Florida...playing back to back number one caliber teams without their starting quarterback". Come on guys, prove the world wrong!
We don't NEED their pity...
(Meanwhile, don't forget about us over on the Game Day Thread, E-)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema