• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Looking for the "Bright Side": A Rare Chance to be "The Surprise Team"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
With the preseason mags on the stands and the so-called "experts" making their picks according to their perceived audiences, it's easy to get lost in the mounting negativity regarding our beloved reptiles. We are mentioned far too often only as an aside, if not ignored outright.
Out here where I am in South-Central Texas, self-obsessed Longhorn prognosticators DO mention us (the Muschamp-connection guarantees that much), mostly in terms of their former coach-in-waiting having similar problems at QB as the Horns but more holes to fill, a whole new system to install, and a tougher road to travel through an SEC schedule (in my view, they're worse off than us in the first two cases; only in the last do they have it right).
In the last few days, with camps about to open here and elsewhere, I've had to suffer the opinions of various national radio personalities' views, and UF has been mentioned more than once--along with Michigan as an extreme example of a team with lots of individual talent but not the "right talent", too many "square pegs in round holes" of a new system, and especially a big questionmark at the key position, quarterback (interestingly, on national radio broadcasts, Texas is included as a third member of this group--but on local shows with the same sorts of guests asked the same questions, the Longhorns are missing from this wrong-personnel discussion, strangely enough).
Now, we who follow the Gators closely have less information going into this camp than at anytime that I can remember. I have neither heard nor seen any evidence that these "expert guests" from ESPN, Sports Illustrated and so on know anymore than we do. So while they are entitled to their opinions, that is all these are. I follow the logic of their positions, but in the end it is based mostly on conjecture filtered through whatever particular axes they have to grind.
Which brings me to my point here: While we DO have a number of unanswered questions, some of them will likely come out fine. If enough do, this may not turn out so badly after all. The cupboard is hardly bare, and personally I don't buy this idea that we "don't have the right players for the new system"--I just don't think either Muschamp or Weis are anyone's fools. Anyway, the media guys can't have it both ways: the one thing these folks agreed on up 'til now is that Brantley was in the wrong system before, and if QB is "the key position", then we must have the RIGHT guy in the right place now--and if we don't, then the whole season will hinge on finding out who IS, and how fast he can be brought along. We'll almost certainly have to start that process as the season goes along regardless, it'd just be nice to do it in the second halves of games we've already put away! As for the rest, well, I'll take my chances with our skill-people.
Either way, we'll be among the favorites again by next year, a perennial top five contender for the BCS Final game going into each season for the foreseeable, so this is an unusual situation for us, one of WAY lowered expectations "out there", and a rare chance to be the darkhorse, the "surprise" team not just in the SEC but nationwide. Those experts I mentioned are talking 7-and-5 as not unlikely, at least out this way, so I figure a ten-win season would mess things up nicely--and would make a pretty decent "transition year" too.
I know, I know, given all the unknowns that may be asking too much. So I'm not "asking", I'm just saying: it ain't impossible either...

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
In a perfect world, we would start off the season with low expectations and a# 20 ranking, then surprise the world by going undefeated. Does that happen? Yes. Do I think we have the players and coaches to make it happen? Yes. Still, I would rather go through a season as the underdog, have fun, and let the season play out without all the stress. For me as a fan, the last two years have been too stressful, because I, like most of the fans, got addicted to winning. As a fanbase, we have lost touch with that generation of fans that could go to a game and have fun win or lose. Come on! As a fanbase we are calling an 8-5 season with a bowl win a travesty. Even the mighty Shorthorns would take our '10 season over theirs.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the season. Be a kid again. Demand a national championship next year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm with you--especially that bit about the last few years becoming TOO stressful--after (mostly) living UP to the hype for a couple of years, last year's 8-and-5 really did amount to "falling hard" (the weirdest part being that this same pressure appeared to affect our much respected Head Coach most of all). Still, I have to say that it was GREAT to be the National Big Dog for a few years, even with the stress of high expectations and the constant feeling that we were dancing on the edge of a precipice. I want that crazy feeling again, complete with all its sweat, fear, anger and joy.
For now though, we make the most of what we have--and what we have is a Gator team that is in great part an unknown quantity: it's possible that we are WAY underestimated, a victim of what might be labeled "anti-hype", the idea here being that it is our image that has "fallen hard", NOT our actual talent level OR the new staff's ability to forge them into an efficient team in time for the meat of our season.
You're right about enjoying THIS ride for what it is, to enjoy a season that will likely be somewhat "less than perfect"--"perfect" isn't even necessary this time around to make it successful, which DOES give us as fans a chance to relax a bit , let things develop, see how the season develops and how the new regime adapts: what we are GOING to be will be as important as what we ARE as that season plays out.
However, let's not over-romanticize the "fun"of constant mediocrity, of being so uncertain of victory that we begin to take defeat "in stride". I've mentioned suffering through a 0-10-and-1 season (1979) and how we managed to have a lot of fun entertaining ourselves at those games--and I NEVER WANT ANY PART OF THAT FEELING AGAIN!!!
No, I WANT us to get back to us being good enough to EXPECT victory once again, for everyone to fear and hate us while WE roll on, our very happiness resting on Saturday's outcome. It doesn't SOUND like much fun when I say it like that, even to me--but let's just face it: you're right, E-, it IS an addiction, and like any addiction, there's an emptiness right in the middle of your gut when it's missing.
If things go south at QB early on, if injuries bite us at places where we're already a bit thin (eg. either line), all the bright-side-possibilities may have to be shelved while we find and develop our next QB AND the unit protecting him--in other words, the "experts" could end up being right, at least as far as our ultimate record by season's end. We'll then have to judge that season on what we have by season's end, after "coming through the fire". Even with Brantley running the offense well and our talented defense rounding into form early, we'll need to be patient once we get to October and our SEC-schedule. We could easily be undefeated at that point (ie. going into Oct.), but I think we'll need to reserve judgement until November before deciding whether "this is a fun ride during a transition-year while we find out how good we can be by NEXT year", or we ARE a "surprise team" that can make some news, upset the expected status quo and at least begin to "arrive ahead of schedule".

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I was more referring to the 80s when we won enough games to fill the seats, but lost enough games to not suck. Even the 1990-1995 was great with conference championships minus the stress of national championships. As long as we are ahead of FSU I am happy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ya gotta admit, though: when we finally ascended to "800 lb. Gorilla In the Room"-status there a few years back, it felt GOOD--and let's face it: THAT is what we always aspired to. You HAVE to if you want to make sure you're at least "in the mix" on anything like an annual basis.
Anyway, we can't go back; we are the FLORIDA GATORS now, after all: one of those few teams in any sport that spurs a widespread emotional response, its own nationwide class of Haters.
Personally, I have no desire to do so--and deep down, E-, I suspect that neither do you.

robdog

Gator Fan
I agree with both of you. As long as we are better than FSU and we definitely want to aspire to be "that team". I really have no idea what this season is going to bring. However, I do have some good confidence in our coaches and lets face it, in college football, good coaching does equal WINS.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
That is EXACTLY what gives me confidence long term, and at least hope for some surprises short term--in the season ahead.

robdog

Gator Fan
I have a feeling there will be a few good surprises during this season. Just how big? I guess finding out is why we watch! :)

Leakfan12

VIP Member
I think they could win the SEC East. Only worry out there is South Carolina and I don't think they're all there.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It'll all depend on October. Come out of it with one loss and ANYTHING is possible--but that is a tall order. Not saying it is beyond us, only that I just don't think we know enough about where we are at, where we're going and/or how fast we're gonna get there to make bold claims at this point.
Thing is, neither do any of these folks outside the program who have already written us off, individually and as a team, in the media and elsewhere as the fall now approaches. That's one more small chip added to the very big one that should be growing on our players' collective shoulder by now, an "us versus them"-mentality that could serve us very well over the course of that schedule. Never underestimate the power of emotional intangibles in forging team success, ESPECIALLY in college football.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema