• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

KY on tap: Will THIS be the Year?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
We've been wuppin' on these 'Cats a long time now...sooner or later, odds alone say we're gonna lose one to 'em--especially given some of the dysfunctional teams we've been fielding last couple/few years. And they're getting better, talent- AND coaching-wise. Prob shoulda happened LAST season, damn near DID! Maybe that gives us a "pass", dodged their big opportunity--but maybe not either...this Gator team comes out with the kind of "this one's automatic"/"we're just BETTER than they are" attitude they brought last week, the performance will be similar, and this time I think we DO lose. Pretty sure our Head Coach saw/sees it EXACTLY that way--PLUS he's thinking long term as well, of course, of what he's trying to build here. He has J Foley's full support and backing in this (and times like these are when I REALLY understand our AD's strengths, and how fortunate we are to have him): If he has to sit big-time recruits and potential stars the fans and boosters are meanwhile salivating over, drop them down the depth chart despite their top-of-the-heap talent (as he has done already--why do you suppose our already most standout, best-by-far-so-far young WR is listed, and PLAYED, as THIRD on that supposed "list"?), well, that is exactly what he will do--in the secret hope I'm sure that he won't end up having to in effect "run another talented loser off" what, if Mac has the time and support he needs, will eventually be a real TEAM, a tight, deep unit of young men pulling together, supporting each other as "more than the sum of its parts".
That's the general idea, The Plan, at any rate. There WILL be bumps, considering where we were/are starting from--and we're seeing them. No way around some of it: You get the feeling "we", even more so of course these players are bound to be humbled (as in beaten savagely) by a few of the current SEC elite before we get this fully turned around...That DOESN'T necessarily mean we have to bow to the Kentucky Wildcats (even at THEIR place) now. THAT'S got more to do with "what's in our heads"--and entirely within our control, at least "theoretically". Among other things, Mac's tryin' to teach these guys how not to beat yourself. How well they learn, whether this mix of potential and "lost souls" can find the character and chemistry to begin to get it, well, that may NOT be something that gets fixed in a week. So I/we gotta hope that the seeds of leadership, and deep down a common, teamwide sense of unhappiness with THEMSELVES thus far, can help bring some of that "what we can be" forward. Has to start somewhere, SOMEtime. Losing for the first time in more than a quarter-century to Kentucky is a "lesson" we could ALL do without.
Geez--I HOPE so, at any rate.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(Btw: Looks like I'll be working by kickoff time there in Lexington this week...Normally a Sat. after-6pm ko would mean I'd get to see at LEAST the 2nd half, but it's an outdoor location deal, using last-light/early eve glowing sky--and I really have no plausible out. Everyone knows bout my "rabid-Gator-Thing", but it won't wash here, won't get 'em to postpone a planned full-shoot for "3rd wk against UK, kiddo", so said the UPM...He's college football guy, so I can't really snow him on this one (MY concerns notwithstanding)...
But here's my q for y'all:
I'll have my pad, hope to stream game, grab what I can, maybe even follow here and there with y'all, but have NO idea how/where to do that on the little android device I'll be using. We'll have WiFi access, and I THINK its on ESPN2, so anyone know how and where best site/method of streaming the game? Lemme know...

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
***BTW 2***: Everyone, all achin' Gators who've suffered the last 4-plus-1 years--that's the Muschamp-era PLUS that last /lost 2010 season with (choose one) a "tired and confused" or a "drawing-a-fat-check-while-I-arrange-my-NEXT-job (and take as many of the best Fla.-talent with me as I can)" Urban Meyer still (barely) at the helm--ought to go and read the latest article from Jeremy Fowler on ESPN's online site, entitled "Inside the rise and fall of Urban Meyer's Florida Gators". Do it now:
EVERYTHING you might have heard, read, suspected, "DAMNIT, SAW IT WITH OUR OWN EYES!!!" is right there, covered and confirmed IN DETAIL, and by halfway thru' you'll be angrily, sadly, frustratingly reminded with CERTAINTY as to what happened, WHY it happened, HOW it happened, happened so relatively FAST--and why we're STILL dealing with it...and have a ways to go.
Two other major points implied, too, as I see it:
First, Meyer's a lying, opportunistic shit, albeit talented and smooth as silk--here's just the surface-layer of why he deserves our scorn and zero "benefit of the doubt" (OR any pity, when the REAL physical breakdown comes--as it will, trust me: Don't NEED any cosmic view of Karma to see this one coming; whether HE realizes it or not, his words, deeds and own explicit lies have in effect CHOSEN his brain, spirit and body's own demise...It has to do with exactly the same "bio-truth" by which placebos actually work...Should a listened to your daughter, Urban, NOT used her as just another "live prop", like everyone in your professional life).
Second, Coach Mac may well be the exact man for the monumental, long-overdue collective mind/body/spirit overhaul the Gator team and program has required since Meyer left the mess that he did. I believe Foley got it just right this time, even now think there WAS no "right guy" OR "right way" but time, "tough love", and patience that fans simply don't have (myself included) to get us HERE, where maybe "the right Coach" MIGHT be able to clear away the last of the rubble and begin to build towards something great again--hopefully a healthier, longer-standing thing worthy of our faith and pride.
I don't know that there really IS a way to create and sustain the kind of high-flying, joyful level of TEAM quality and chemistry that can continue to renew itself, NOT somehow by-definition contain the seeds of its own eventual destruction, but that's the idea, short-, middle-, AND long-term, for Coach Mac--and yes, the whole time, thru-it-all I am starting to believe from J. Foley too. Perhaps he "HOPED" that Muschamp might be "that guy", but now I wonder whether Foley may have always (at the very least "alternately") seen him as "the cure", transient-tough-medicine if you will(haha) to break the momentum of careening disaster, and what had turned from rollicking success to inevitable, self-destructive failure--THEN, if /when "the next guy" wouldn't or couldn't switch gears to the required New Future reality, well, "plan" or not, could work out for us after all now--and NOT so far away now, either, the potential for dominance in a "New Gator Era".
But see read the article. It is BIG TIME in its perspective, and though head-shakingly disturbing-in-retrospect, confirming all the worst we FIGURED/suspected at the time, in a looking-ahead-from-here sorta way it's actually OK, I think: Considering where we were, what we truly faced, versus what's happened , where we ARE and where we have some hope of going, well, it is at least POSSIBLE we're through the worst and on our way BACK.
The other Gator-article also currently featured at the ESPN online site, having to do with all the details and "what might of been" s of the whole Cam Newton business during the same period, only serves to underline and reinforce the larger issues focused on in Fowler's artlicle. Again, what Gator HASN'T thought about all the "what coulda" s, good and bad, that might have come to pass had Newton stayed? But interestingly enough, THAT whole tangled ball'o'crud pretty closely mirrors the same "larger issues" in microcosm: It all just had to play out, no matter what: We'd of gotten slimed and broken, had to crawl over broken glass and somehow eventually begun to fix and heal eventually ANYWAY, no matter what.
And no matter what, here we are, and we go FROM HERE. Not so sure we'll be happy with THIS week's outcome, or this SEASON'S, especially, when it's done (especially our eventual record), but over the next 2 or 3 years, well, I really do belive this program is about to rise again--and it'll be a LOT of fun to watch, be a part of.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
I lack the attention span to read all that without beer in me, so I will summarize: Gators win in triple overtime, 21-20 on a missed extra point.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I lack the attention span to read all that without beer in me, so I will summarize: Gators win in triple overtime, 21-20 on a missed extra point.
Um, that's how this Horns team LOSES.
If I wanna consider how much worse things can and have BEEN with our program, all I have to do is follow what friends are seeing and reacting to here in Austin.
Perspective: Being told, often and in various ways, that "We'd trade in a heartbeat with y'all..."
But you should still read that Fowler article on the ESPN site, E-. It puts everything that has gone down since 2009 into sharp clarity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema