• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

John Brantley out for Florida

News Bot

News Bot
A 24-10 halftime deficit was already pretty bad for Florida. After going up 7-0 early when Gators quarterback John Brantley connected with Andre Dubose for a 65-yard touchdown, Florida’s offense hasn’t done much of anything. Unfortunately for UF going forward, half of that touchdown team appears done for the night. Just before halftime, Brantley was…
b.gif

Source: CollegeFootballTalk.com

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
He's gone for good, mark my words--maybe back for the Yoplait Bowl (or whatever lame also-ran post-season opportunity-for-continued-practice-and-preparation-for-NEXT-season Bowl we end up in), but the poor kid has been snake-bit.
Not a great QB, by any means, but seemed to either get the shaft or pay disproportionately for his mistakes, and just when he had a last chance to show what he could do with his back against the wall, THIS.

TraderGator

Gator Fan
I'm pretty sure we would have still lost with Brantley in the 2nd Half . . . but throwing Driskel into that fire . . . no chance.

Brantley was a good passer at times but seemed to have deer-in-the-headlights attacks. Then again, if I was being rushed by SEC defenses, I'd probably just drop dead. LOL!

Here's hoping JB can return quicker than expected.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Note that in another thread I predicted that Alabama would hurt our key put player. In our ignorance as fans, we did not realize how important Brantley is to our offense. He may not be the most athletic quarterback, but he is smart enough and calm enough to manage the offense. Driskel needs to spend all his free time this week watching film, reading play books, and throwing footballs through tire swings (differently this is all he is allowed under NCAA rules).

Driskel will be fine as long as we tweak the offense for him, knowing he is not JB4. He is not as smart or as mature, but he is more athletic and is quicker. We should use those talents in a tweaked offense.

Swamp Person

Swamp Gator
I agree with everyone's thoughts of Driskel poor kid he got thrown to the wolves. But I got to echo DRU that the future is NOW its on us even if JB is ok by next week simply being the second in command. There comes duties with it even if you don't feel you will be put on the spot. You yourself have to be prepared even if your not.

What I mean by this is sometimes in life things get thrown at you and you don't got a clue of how to handle it but you got to be the STRONG one who others look to for you to guide them. Being our life or the second string QB. Hes got to have the second nature of knowing his time is coming and coming not by his wants or needs sometimes. I know the kid is young but this is what he signed up for is to lead his team at any given time. Do I think he can do it? Yes I do. But can he do it? Is the question. From what I seen from last night and other times they put him in is doubt. IMO. This looks like more doubt not by me but by Coach Boom “When we lost John, that took the wind out of our sails,” said Muschamp. This is tuff for me to swallow The coach knew when JB went down they were done. Does this mean our QBs are any good? So so? Not up to snuff with our program?I don't know.

But it gets you thinking. And right now thinking isn't the wrong thing to do when your rebuilding a team. Even if we like it or not next year our WHOLE backfield is gone with the new recruits waiting to come fill the spots. We got to be sure before they get thrown to the wolves they are ready.

Ironic were kind of like the Broncos now do we bench him play the other or do we just stick with this one because hes got the experience. Humm unsolved mysteries to me. lol

Never the less I bleed Orange and Blue . GO GATORS.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
I was telling you guys these past few weeks that JB is our man and Driskell is not ready, and here we find ourselves in this position. If there is a bright spot here, it is that no matter how good or bad Driskell does in replacing JB this season, it is valuable experience he can get before the reigns (presumably) are pretty much handed to him next year.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure we would have still lost with Brantley in the 2nd Half . . . but throwing Driskel into that fire . . . no chance.

Brantley was a good passer at times but seemed to have deer-in-the-headlights attacks. Then again, if I was being rushed by SEC defenses, I'd probably just drop dead. LOL!

Here's hoping JB can return quicker than expected.

Looking back this one last time, and repeating some things I said in the Game Day Thread towards the end of the game, Brantley came out "throwing darts", threw the pass we always thought he could throw right at the top and threw it perfectly, completed it this time (the key: threw it to Debose instead of Thompson--although Thompson made some good, tough catches as the half went on, while Debose dropped a couple of key easy ones) for the early TD. He moved the team smartly down the field in our 2nd possession despite the absence of a running game, and SHOULD have had his second TD pass--THREE TIMES! First Rainey caught his an fell down with no one between him and the endzone, then 2 different receivers dropped clean passes in their hands for 6. On third down in the 3rd possession, he succumbed once again to his demons, short-arming it under pressure right into the arms of a surprised linebacker who ran it back for the gift TD. That put the offense in a funk for most of the 2nd qrtr., not getting anything going and putting an already-tired defense in a hole, 'til they gave up their first real touchdown of the season (not counting that push-off late one from KY), until finally seeming to snap out of it when Brantley got them going again right before the half--until that pair of fateful plays, the weird no-reason/no-fumble play, then the injury itself. Had our receivers come through for him maybe he doesn't have the brain-blank that goes with those periodic underthrows; even WITH that gift-TD, I think he puts it on target in the endzone again on that last drive of his had he not been injured--an injury that maybe doesn't happen if we're tied with Bama or LEADING 14-10 like we SHOULD have been at that point, instead of feeling like he HAD to make a play to get the touchdown back and keep us in the game. In other words, there were a number of "turning points", and STILL a chance to make it a game even having had them go against us--if only for the last one, the injury that took him out of the game entirely.
As it was, had we just got a fieldgoal to end the half, my feeling WOULD have been the suspicion that we had given away too many points in a close game already to pull it out, especially minus the ability to move the ball on the ground, and they're ability to do so. However, I would have ALSO had to admit that with JB's evident hot hand thus far and our (at least 'til then) ability to keep THEIR offense somewhat in check, with certain adjustments we might still be able too outscore them in the 2nd half and overtake them after all.
Of course, none of that was possible, so we'll never know for sure, but it is a mark of how well JB was playing when he had his "head on right" (I don't know if we've ever had a QB whose emotional state-of-mind has had such an immediately dramatic practical effect on his performance in the game) that even with all the checks on the negative side of the ledger by that point (ie. just before the injury), I wasn't the only one that harbored at least the possibility that he could still bring us back. It is also a classic "tragic turning point", in that this one chance arose for him, and then was snatched away.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema