• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jimbo Fisher to be next FSU coach - official now

I wonder if some of those other "super" coaches are upset about this. I also wonder how long before they leave if this is set in stone.

Attempts to reach FSU President T.K. Wetherell were unsuccessful Wednesday, but FSU Spokesperson Frank Murphy told the Sentinel the university is "not ready." Murphy said FSU will conduct a news conferences at 11:30 a.m. Monday to discuss the coaching situation.

A source told the Sentinel on Wednesday morning that "there’s an agreement in principle" but that lawyers representing both FSU and Fisher are still negotiating several details. The source said the deal is not complete, and that it might not be complete until next week. The source also said the possibility still exists that the deal could fall through.

Other media outlets, including the Birmingham News and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, have reported similar developments with regards to Fisher's future with the Seminoles.

The source told the Sentinel no timetable will be set for Fisher to take the reins from Bowden, college football's career Division I victories leader. Bowden last week agreed to a 1-year contract extension that will pay him $2.5 million per season and includes a payment of $1 million bonus upon his retirement. FSU officials have told the Sentinel Bowden can remain FSU's coach for as long as he wishes.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2007/12/fisher-to-be-de.html

SexyRexy

Gator Fan
If Fisher stays on, then you know a deal is finalized. He wouldn't stay there next year without a promise of somehting more.

They did make it official today.

TALLAHASSEE - Florida State University today announced that Hall of Fame head football coach Bobby Bowden will be replaced by Seminoles offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher when Bowden one day retires.

The announcement ends speculation both about Bowden's eventual successor and about Fisher's future at Florida State. The arrangement, which FSU President T.K. Wetherell described as "an agreement in principle," is not yet complete because both Bowden and Fisher have yet to sign contracts.

The university and Bowden recently agreed on a one-year extension worth approximately $2.5 million. And Fisher, who is in the first of a three-year contract that pays him $425,000, will reportedly receive a raise in the $700,000 range.

In front of a crowded room, Bowden stood behind a podium and said he approved of the arrangement and joked that Fisher "will still call me sir."

"The more I thought about it, the more I thought it was a great idea," Bowden said of naming Fisher the coach in waiting.

Fisher, who was joined by his wife, Candi, and his sons, Trey and Ethan, said he was "very humbled and honored by this announcement."

He said later that he was in "no hurry" to be the official head coach.

"I'm content to wait," Fisher said.

Bowden and Fisher share a long history with one another. Fisher, 42, met Bowden, 78, for the first time when he was a teenager. Fisher later played for Bowden's son, Terry, at Samford College, and Fisher was an assistant coach when Terry Bowden was the head coach at Auburn.

When Fisher accepted an offer last January to become the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Florida State, some speculated that he did so with the understanding that he would eventually replace Bowden. Fisher said again today that no such plan existed and, about Bowden, he said, "You don't ever replace him."

Bowden, meanwhile, again addressed retirement by saying, "My position hasn't changed."

"As long as I'm healthy and as long as I can win enough games," Bowden said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...r121007,0,4556754.story?coll=orl_tab01_layout

Stay 10 more years Bobby. You can do it.

UFtb

VIP Member
So the question is... when will Bobby retire? What if it's in 5 years? Will Fisher wait?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema