• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jenkins dismissed from team

travisduncan

Gator Fan
Will Muschamp made the announcement Tuesday on Twitter:

Will_Mushamp_RC-03_normal.JPG
@CoachWMuschamp (Will Muschamp) - We appreciate Janoris' contributions to the University of Florida during his time here and wish him the best of luck. (4 hours ago)​

---​

Will_Mushamp_RC-03_normal.JPG
@CoachWMuschamp (Will Muschamp) - After meeting with Janoris Jenkins today, we both flt it was in his best interest to move ahead to the next stage of his career. (4 hours ago)​

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Sad to see you go, Janoris, but college is for learning. Here is your lesson: whether you think marijuana is good or bad, your "employer" laid down the rules and you violated them repeatedly. Wish you well in the next phase of your life. You'll always be a Gator. Drugs are bad, m'kay?

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
OK: ONLY reason to go this route is for the sake of the TEAM and its future--Coach really IS "sending a message", and more than anything it is meant NOT for us, CERTAINLY NOT for "the rest of the world" (media pundits, Gator-Haters, etc.), but for his players and "the team-to-be".
All you Gators who in your well-warranted anger and fed-up frustration CALLED for this kind of drastic move, just understand, accept and remember: There went whatever shot we had at a 9-10 win season in 2011. With Brantley, this O-line and the learning curve on Weis' shift to a pro-style, non-spread system (after 6 years and personnel long recruited for that now former style-of-play), only health, good fortune and a stout "D" gave us any chance at topping last year's record. Jenkins was to be the senior leader, a 1st-team All American that COULD have been a first-rounder to lock down HIS position while he lead everyone else by his example and work ethic. Yes, HE blew that responsibility, but the fact remains: one of our few solid strengths just became a question mark, a possible weakness and source of more chaos and confusion.
So now more than ever, I call on you especially, the folks who have been on the various "usual sites" calling for just this kind of "final judgment" by Coach Will in this matter (so many were so extreme, rivaling those of openly hostile trolls from other schools, I couldn't help wondering if they were all really FROM actual Gators, no matter their claims and/or their user names!):
You're going to have to be patient this coming season. This is a tough schedule by ANY standard, and now we'll be a team building towards what it will become through it all. I reserve the right to voice my unhappiness with certain things--for eg. sticking with a not-very-effective Brantley for too long, if that's how things develop. Now more than ever, this will be a season to find our new stars and leaders, get them in to learn and grow as the NEXT great Gator TEAM begins to develop and emerge by late in the year.
I just think this was the final break in what was a hard one to build and hold together in the first place--and the Coach must have known that. He bit the bullet and made the move he felt was necessary for the future, and we have to live with the consequences (as we'll hopefully share the ultimate rewards) right along with him.

CaliZona_Gator

Super Senior Member
idk, I am having a hard time with this. I love JJ! He was my favorite player on the team this year. Best of luck to him, I really hope that somehow he is still allowed to be with the team and somehow work his way back like Rainey did.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
idk, I am having a hard time with this. I love JJ! He was my favorite player on the team this year. Best of luck to him, I really hope that somehow he is still allowed to be with the team and somehow work his way back like Rainey did.
Me too--for fairly selfish reasons. I like him, love watching him play, and hate to see him leaving over what are by themselves essentially petty screw-ups. Above all, though, I dread another 5-plus loss season, and he was to be the leader and most accomplished member of a defense that will be the foundation for whatever success we have until the new offense (and its many unknowns) rounds into form. (I SAID it was "selfish".)
As for letting him "work his way back", it doesn't sound like that is even an option. The latest news has JJ saying this was NOT "mutual", as was implied in Coach's brief statement, but rather simply a dismissal from the team--and something Jenkins didn't have any choice in (implying he WOULD have chosen otherwise, had he HAD a choice). Sounds as if maybe the wayward young man had been warned about pending consequences after the first episode (once legally adjudicated--actually his second pot bust, remember) a few weeks ago, and no doubt strongly cautioned about henceforth getting his priorities in order and staying out of trouble--then THE SAME THING HAPPENS!
As I discussed above, the only way to see this (and, frankly, the only way I can personally accept it, turn my back and "walk away") is not only as a message from Coach Boom (fits here--he "lowered" it) to certain individuals about those very priorities, the rules and behavior they are expected to follow, and the consequences of continuing as they have, but as a lesson for his team regarding solidarity and team cohesion. Their mutual loyalty, responsibility and interdependence to each other can make them champions; fail there, however, and that potential will never be realized, opportunity missed, the collective talent wasted.
That's a pretty damn important lesson.
I'd be glad to see a talented (and not evil-- just selfish, immature and bafflingly foolish) Gator given the quiet option of a long, hard road back onto the field, but maybe this time the "bigger picture" here precludes it, from the coaches' perspective.
And Muschamp isn't Meyer. THAT may be another point being made, however "inadvertently", by the Coach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema