• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"I believe..."

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's spring, truly, here in Tejas...South By's over, the weather's on the upswing (cool nights, warm days but still minus AC for the most part--and like back home in N. Fla., that won't last long), and, well, all it took was something small to turn my head to what it all REALLY means: Football. New season, new coach, new offense--hell, whole new outlook all around. I'm feeling it...
See, we were headin' out to this restaurant by Lake Travis, perfect place to eat'n'drink on warm days with long sundowns over water: one of those fresh spring days when "hope springs eternal" and it seems anything is possible. I'm driving over the dam just west of downtown and suddenly become aware that the license plate on the big ol' truck ahead with a bed full o' happy young men and women had one of those specialty Fla. plates with the big Gator-chompin' 'tween the letters and numbers. Honked 'em from behind, gave 'em the arms-extended "Eat 'Em Up/Chomp" sign as they made a left and we passed. They all broke out into cheers and big grins, relieved and happy, if surprised, to get support instead of jeers, deep-in-the-heart of Longhorn Country. One girl even yelled, "Gator Nation!!!"...But what really stuck in my head, last thing that came as we drove off, was someone else calling, "No one's gonna see us comin'!!!"
So I've been considering how I FEEL about all that, against the background of wanting to be fair, "realistic", give this coach, program and TEAM a chance to grow and find itself, knowing that it's only fair and in the long run best to accept the inevitable growing pains that will make this season in particular one that has its share of ups AND downs.
That said, I also figure this is the right and best time to just go with my gut, not worry about how I'm likely mixing what I wish with what I think. Sure, we are thin on the all-important O-line; we've got talent there but little depth. Same at WR, where we've got SOME experienced good ones and SOME promising new faces. The "smart word" is that our D is still our rock, our strength, and an "improved offense" should get us "a few more wins" than last year, a winning record and maybe even a "respectable in the SEC" outlook by the end of the year, "...IF we stay healthy..."
Well, I am gonna pull out all the ol' "hope springs eternal" STOPs here and take this, the right and perfect time, to chuck logic, reason and tempered-expectations out the window:
"I BELIEVE..." that if we DO stay at least somewhat healthy, just the "normal" bumps'n'bruises/"play-thru-the-pain" kind of stuff, this team, under this staff carrying out this Coach's vision, scheme and plan, can pull out a coupla shockers along the way, gather steam and make a real "We're BACK!" statement, maybe even in the mix for one of the post-season Big Ones by late-fall. NOT saying that they're gonna BE in the play-off (we all want that, and again, I BELIEVE we'll get there, and "soon"--but only a blind fool would PREDICT that for this year), but I am saying they could scratch and claw their way back into the national "consciousness" and media sports-talk before its over. As far as MY confidence and wild dreams, that "possibility" will have to suffice for now.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Coach Mac just disputed former Coach Champ's assertion that he left the cupboard full. This tells me that we are a couple injuries from a repeat of 2013. If we get 7 wins, I will be happy.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Coach Mac just disputed former Coach Champ's assertion that he left the cupboard full. This tells me that we are a couple injuries from a repeat of 2013. If we get 7 wins, I will be happy.
Note I was talkin' hope, guts and "emotion vs. logic" above. I "EXPECT" a barely winning record, but I can envision 2 or 3 surprises later in the season and a return to "the national map", IF we can stay reasonably healthy. This team will come together, and grow--and I think that's what Coach is talking about.
(...And btw, see my comments re the NBC Sports column discussing the comments E- refers to here, responding in the thread where that very column, with Mac's comments, is included)

awebbf5

VIP Member
I just want to see a foundation built this year. Establish a qb, establish the type of offense were going to run, keep the momentum of recruiting going, etc..... I would be ecstatic if it's a 8-4 season with a nice bowl win, but realistically I see 6-6 season. Have to keep the streak against ky going is a must ( being born and raised in ky and living here , I've talked alot of smack so it would be a bad Saturday for me lol) would also like to keep the Tennessee streak alive since their my most hated rival but they are on the up and up, so we will see.

Leakfan12

VIP Member
Talent is there. Need the offense to improve and hopefully the Defense stays the same. I'll go for 7-8 wins.

Escambia94

I have seen a few preseason predictions that have us finishing third in the division--behind Georgia and Tennessee. The Vols get a decent out of conference test against Oklahoma before they face us, and they get a follow up test against Alabama after us. Georgia has a schedule similar to ours in terms of difficulty, and have a big change in coaching staff, but they have recruited better. Assuming we beat Missouri in Missouri, I can see Florida finishing third in the division with 7 wins.

miltongator

Gator Fan
SEC East rankings per SDS:

Team Offense Defense Coaches X Factors Total
1. Georgia
2. Mizzou
3. Tennessee
4. South Carolina
5. Florida
6. Kentucky
7. Vanderbilt

Escambia94

This early in the preseason, this is an accurate a prediction as any other. Tennessee's offense is on the verge of exploding, considering how well they have recruited compared to everyone but Georgia in the East. Missouri has enjoyed solid coaching and recruiting in all phases of the game. South Carolina is still enjoying its best decade of football ever, with little signs of slowing down. Florida has been so hard to predict since Zombie Urban Meyer took over.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema