• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Here's a possible "Big Story-To-Come-In-Gatorland":

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Take a look at Ralph Seegobin's piece on Bleacher Report/Florida Gators entitled "ANONYMOUS DIME DROPPED ON FLORIDA, CAM --Anonymous Source reveals Latest On Florida's Brantley, Cam Newton, and More".
...It's the Brantley-related part y'all will want to check out; the little bit about Cam is not that big a deal.
Above all, just bare in mind: this is written by someone who is NOT a journalist, just a grad-student (law) who claims to know "the source"--and implies a personal connection with Brantley and his statements (he seems to come up just short of saying the two are one--that Brantley said this stuff in his presence).
Part of me says it makes no sense, the other says it makes all the sense in the world. It is the HEIGHT of back-channel rumor-mongering, but you have to admit, it's interesting/thought-provoking/compelling-as-Hell!

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
Florida is in peril if only because it has a leak in its office that violates federal privacy laws...Florida faces potential NCAA sanction and if he did not, then the Florida source lied.* Neither is a good outcome.

I'm not sure who at Florida would get punished by NCAA for leaking information. There is so much muddying of the water here.

My source informs me that Brantley stated that "he and Addazio get [into] screaming matches all the time over the offense" and that "Addazio [will not] let him do anything or give him free rein." He also raised concerns over the offensive line play on late blitzes. Guess who coaches the offensive line?

It's hard to imagine JB doing this, but it would be interesting to see. We will never know, since practice is now closed to prying eyes, and we can't see anything on camera. I have only been to one game, and I could not see anybody yelling at anyone. As a matter or of fact, I did not see Dazzler talk to any players much.

According to my source, Brantley stated that the Florida coaches have known about these Cam Newton allegations all along and have known since January when it was discussed at a coaches meeting.

Sounds reasonable, but what does that mean for Florida? Are UF coaches guilty of a) leaking scandalous info to the press b) covering up for Cam Newton c) withholding info from the NCAA? Another hard read.

What I hate about the System is that the real crime was committed by Cam Newton but three schools could pay the price. Florida probably failed to protect privacy data, which can be a crime believe it or not. Mississippi State probably had a booster act inappropriately. Auburn probably has booster or coach/athletic director issues as well.

I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like the worst case scenario is that all three schools will pay fines, but only Auburn will get athletic sanctions if any of this is true. The tough part is sorting through the rumors. We just need to wait on the FBI probe, but I have not heard if the FBI will be looking into Florida's failure to protect privacy data.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I think you've got the "Cam"-part and its implications about nailed...
It's the image of Brantley screaming at Addazio that I like--I found myself picturing this in different locations and situations, some less private than others (even closed doors aren't necessarily sound-proof: I've wondered how the team would feel about an ultra-passive Brantley, taking it quietly "from behind" while Addazio screws HIS year along with that of the whole offense; maybe that isn't what is happening after all).
Meanwhile, that part about him being determined to bail makes even more sense--though there at least the statements could be true, but just the anger talking. A lot of folks wouldn't mind him leaving after this season (it would FORCE the offense to move in certain directions, after all); I find myself with a slightly more complex reaction. While I can envision it being a positive for many of those same reasons, I sympathize all the more with a JB who sees and fully understands his misuse, and HASN'T been the passive follower marching to his own doom, the whole while blindly and passively following orders, after all.
I'd LIKE to think he's seriously considering what's best for the team AND his own career, even now.
I have no problem with the details of what Seegobin has him saying on these matters, if they're true. As you say, "We may never know...". Then again, if something DOES come of it, we'll have more than a confirmation (of sorts), but some background on how and why it came to that.

The Zooker

VIP Member
The Gator compliance office is literally the best in the nation. It is the best staffed and best funded department among all others in the NCAA. It would be a cold day in hell before we got busted on something major. The only thing that could ever happen is a minor infraction from where a recruiter did something spontaneously before running it by compliance first. And at worst, it would be a minor secondary infraction. We hardly even have those. That's something Foley has been extremely proactive on.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
The Gator compliance office is literally the best in the nation. It is the best staffed and best funded department among all others in the NCAA. It would be a cold day in hell before we got busted on something major. The only thing that could ever happen is a minor infraction from where a recruiter did something spontaneously before running it by compliance first. And at worst, it would be a minor secondary infraction. We hardly even have those. That's something Foley has been extremely proactive on.

So, what you're saying is that the Gator compliance office grades out a champion? That jokes never gets old. At least, I don't think so.

The Zooker

VIP Member
So, what you're saying is that the Gator compliance office grades out a champion? That jokes never gets old. At least, I don't think so.

I audibly lol'd. But seriously, we have the strictest set of rules for professional conduct in the nation. Our record is very clean and Foley has made that a prime objective. We have full time lawyers constantly analyzing and consulting with our staff on their professional conduct. That's why Lane Kiffin can make a stupid compliance comment and UF can counteract it within minutes with a full statement laden with legal speak. UF is a ridiculously clean program when it comes to compliance because of this. When the compliance office speaks, Foley listens and it trickles down.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Again, that part of that piece didn't turn out to be very noteworthy OR worrisome, in my view (but it DID catch my original attention, especially in the title--do ya think that's why it was included and worded that way in the headline?).
It was the OTHER part, the bulk of the story's relating Brantley's supposed trials and tribulations interacting angrily with Addazio and overheard "intentions" to leave UF that I found most interesting.

SEC_Supreme

Gator Fan
I've posted it several times before - Brantley needs to transfer. Not because I don't like him as our QB, but just for the fact that he has talent and it's being wasted here. I can only assume at this point that as loyal as UM is being to Addazio that he'll leave Brantley the starter next season whether or not Burton, Reed, or Driskell run the offense more efficiently and smoothly.

I may get hammered for this one, but how about seeing him at SMU? A nice pass happy offense where he could make up for lost time airing it out.

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that scenario (aside from the Texas-part, right E'94?)--sounds like it could mean a "happy ending" for all concerned: Brantley gets to showcase his particular skills and WE get to move on without continued entanglement in Meyer's mixed emotions, his sense of loyalty and honor keeping him from making moves that are best for the team's present and future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema