• Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Happy New Year/"Grudging Gameday Championship Thread"

DRU2012

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
(As an afterthought, I more or less jokingly called this my "nonexistent Gameday Thread for the Playoff Championship Final" when I'd finished it originally as a reply to a comment to aweb on another thread entirely--then decided that since it summed up my feelings about all this so well, and since it IS a New Year and there WILL be "one more game" for a couple of teams at least, and one that we all hate, to boot--hey, it could have been WORSE: TWO such teams!--I'd put it up here and let y'all react, tear at, ignore or at least use as a starting place for whatever thoughts you have about anything at all pertaining to the game, the season, college football, life in general etc.
To ALL "The Regs", thanks for BEING here, most of all thanks to us all for "being there" for each of us: It's a dangerous time to be a Gator, full of questions and pitfalls, an exciting time with a "blind step into the unknown" happening right here in front of us, before our very eyes. There WILL be good times, GREAT times ahead, hopefully soon but sooner or later, no matter what, and we'll have a blast together when they come...But it has been during these hard, BAD times as we've scrabbled and clawed and nonetheless lost our hold on everything at times, feels like, slid downhill bloody and sore, that I've most appreciated having this place and y'all to bitch, moan and argue with. "Thanks" doesn't begin to say it, but it's all I got--well, all you're gettin'. Lol)
(...and hey aweb: You can skip this, bra'....already suffered thru' it, I figure)

The ONLY "good part" of O$U facing Oregon is that it at least LOOKS like a Duck-team that's ROLLING right at the right time will meet a Poison Nuts squad that has more or less caught one break after another getting this far. Oregon SHOULD be able to do to them something like what they did to FSU. Now, it's true that 'Nole team just cracked wide open then proceeded to lay down-for-slaughter, but even with a backbone they woulda been soundly beaten--just by maybe 2 or 3 touchdowns instead of that "name your number"/"score until your 3rd-string tires" surrender they showed everyone last night.
Still, with O$U, that old saying, "Better to be lucky than good" has a certain truth to it--especially when "lucky" is really at least to some extent shorthand for "Hmm, all the flags and decisions seem to be going one way..."
I don't know if Urban Meyer once secretly sacrificed his first-born male heir or at least maybe offered up a virgin to Beezzlebub, but the guy isn't THAT great a coach (as we saw when his "hot young staff" all began bolting), he HAS no real moral or ethical underpinnings it seems--maybe just a real good sense of what he can get away with and how to go about it: He somehow gets the calls he needs when he needs them, it sure seems bad luck doesn't hurt him like it should when it DOES find him, and where did he get, pile up and manage to hold ready this parade of cloned-future-starters at QB, for eg., anyway???
Of course, all this leaves the great question that arose last night: If Saban is "The Eternal Master Of the Dark Realm", where does that put Urban Meyer in the "Unholy Pantheon of Evil"? I'm for someone just cutting thru' the BS, pounding a stake thru' his heart right there at the podium, first "Meet the Coaches" media-event...That'll be MY "recommended first move" when WE finally, inevitably face him and his Poisoned Elves for The Soul Of The Universe (otherwise known currently as the NCAA National Championship/Playoff Final).
No one will listen, of course; when it comes, they'll yak it up like it's just another "big game" instead of The Final Confrontation Between Good and Evil it will truly be. We'll have to beat them somehow in the face of all manner of terrible trials and tribulations. Just don't be surprised, or fearful to the point of self-defeat, when his true countenance is revealed: You'll have wished y'all had voted for MY plan that night.
Fear not, though. That day will come, the NIGHT descend, and the pay off will be HUGE: You'll LOVE it when THAT team falls into a cry-baby disarray that far exceeds even last night's hilariously pathetic FSU-meltdown. The best part will be, even as his "Suck Eyes" sizzle and melt into putrid, steaming and smoking body-shaped puddles wherever they are on the field, Urban's head swells dangerously, red, purple, then finally explodes right through and out his by then glowing yellow eyes.
And there you have it: My overview/commentary/introduction to The Big Game.
Oh. Guess I didn't spend much time or energy on, nor talked too much at all about, the actual GAME. This game. Oh well...My "take" will always have a "Gator-slant", I guess--and I've been clear all along how narrow my "focus of interest" would be for this one. It'll BE "a BIG game" eventually, no doubt about it--but it isn't there yet, and WON'T be, no matter HOW hard they tout it, until there is some evolution to and history behind the matchup(s). A few more teams would help--not talkin' "Big Dance" foolishness, of course, but if not a straight jump to "the top EIGHT", maybe couple more teams with a coupla "byes" for #'s 1 and 2? A "play-in game", at least? Most of all, need some teams that really hate each other. One of those=us? By definition, THAT'S a "Championship". Not saying we deserve it right now--but until we do, sorta hard to get too jazzed about ANY of this.
Tried to add a li'l "sumthin' sumthin'" to the proceedings here, though.
As it is, not too hard to root AGAINST "someone" here--but no matter HOW much "hate" you have for the one, there's only so much satisfaction to be gained when there is no potential for "joy", the JOY of seeing our GATORS in it, and winning! At least if I were still an active gambling man, there'd be that. But no. Sigh... I don't do that anymore. Had to cut down on my "personal weaknesses", don't ya know. Got this absurd idea somewhere along the way that I'd be better off returning to the lifelong struggle of being a stronger, more honorable/less selfish individual. Real pain-in-the-@$$ sometimes. Boring, too...but a "habit" I've gotten used to, I guess.
Onward, fellow Gators.

Escambia94

Aerospace Cubicle Engineer (ACE)
246 days until Florida Gator football. That is all I care about. I do not even count tomorrow's game. I will watch the game, but not expect anything. I will watch as many bowl games as I can, but I do not care who wins. My bowl game was watching Alabama and Forced Sex University lose on the same day!

Leakfan12

VIP Member
246 days until Florida Gator football. That is all I care about. I do not even count tomorrow's game. I will watch the game, but not expect anything. I will watch as many bowl games as I can, but I do not care who wins. My bowl game was watching Alabama and Forced Sex University lose on the same day!

Usually Alabama losing is awesome but not when that traitor is on the opposing sidelines. I hope a Oregon LB lays him out.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeDuema